HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1045
Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Quote:
THE CLOCK IS TICKING:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...21%3F%21%3F%21

Quote:
FLYERS' INITIAL STATEMENT FROM JULY 19, 2012:

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?...id=DL|PHI|home

Quote:
Philadelphia Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has released the following statement at 8 a.m. Thursday morning:

"The Philadelphia Flyers have signed restricted free agent (D) Shea Weber to an offer sheet. There will be no further comment at this time."
Quote:
PHILADELPHIA DAILY NEWS ARTICLE JULY 19, 2012:

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/f...fer-sheet.html

Quote:
A source told the Daily News that Weber spent time in Philadelphia last week meeting with the Flyers' brass, though that also has not been confirmed by the team. This would not be tampering, since Weber was not under contract with any team.

Weber, 26, would be signed until he is 40 years old. At exactly $110 million, his salary cap hit would be $7.8 million per year, just slightly more than his $7.5 million hit from last season in Nashville and the hit teammate Ryan Suter signed with in Minnesota on July 4.

(As a note: the cap hit is figured by dividing total dollars spent by term, regardless if it is salary or signing bonus)
Quote:
According to Kypreos, the Flyers have structured the deal in a way that it may be impossible for Nashville to match. The breakdown would be as follows:

2012-13 (age 27): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2013-14 (28): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2014-15 (29): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2015-16 (30): $1 million salary + $13 million signing bonus (league maximum $14M)
2016-17 (31): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2017-18 (32): $4 million salary + $8 million signing bonus (total $12 million)
2018-19 (33): $6 million salary
2019-20 (34): $6 million salary
2020-21 (35): $6 million salary
2021-22 (36): $6 million salary
2022-23 (37): $3 million salary
2023-24 (38): $1 million salary
2024-25 (39): $1 million salary
2025-26 (40): $1 million salary
TOTAL: $110 million
Quote:
NASHVILLE ARTICLE FROM JULY 19, 2012:

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...ws|text|Sports

Quote:
The agent for Shea Weber said Thursday the Predators captain and defenseman wants to play in Philadelphia and that’s why he signed an offer sheet with the Flyers.

“I don’t think you signed an offer sheet unless you’re pointing in that one direction,” agent Jarrett Bousquet told AM-1050 in Toronto. “He would like to play with the Philadelphia Flyers because we all feel he’s just another piece in the puzzle to take them to the next level and he doesn’t want to go through a rebuilding process again.”

The Predators said in a statement their “intention would be to match and retain” Weber.
Quote:
OFFER SHEET INFORMATION WITHIN THE CBA (pages 35 and 36):

http://www.nhlpa.com/docs/about-us/n...a_2005_cba.pdf

Quote:
PART ONE OF THIS TOPIC:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1232919

Quote:
SHEA WEBER'S BIO AND STATS FROM THE HOCKEY NEWS:

http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/...showAllMoves=1
  • Date of birth: August 14, 1985
  • Place of birth: Sicamous, B.C., Canada
  • Ht: 6-4 Wt: 232
  • Shoots: R
  • Salary: $7,500,000
  • NHL Seasons: 7
  • Drafted by Nashville in 2003 (2/49).

Quote:
ASSETS: Has both the size and mean streak to keep skilled players honest. Excels in one-on-one situations, as he literally overpowers opponents. Can unleash a big-time point shot and log a lot of ice time. Has the ability to drop the gloves and is a born leader.

FLAWS: Must curb his propensity to run around the defensive zone in search of the big hit from time to time. Is still a little inconsistent in terms of playing the shutdown role. Will take a bad penalty once in a while.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Elite all-around defenseman with a big point shot and leadership skills.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 07-23-2012 at 10:42 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

vCash: 500
ok for those who missed it in the last section,

If you were the NSH owner what do you tell your GM to do. Match or Don't match

Old
07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

If I'm a Flyers fan that also happens to be the Nashville owner, I tell Poile not to match.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Old
07-19-2012, 09:18 PM
Jordan941

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHILOUDELPHIA View Post

That's the real question, the Owners. If it were up to Poile he matches this offer every day of the week.... But beings its this much money the owners have quite the decision to make..

If I'm the owners I don't match it because of the financial difficulties it puts the team in. I feel like Nashville has trouble hanging around financially in general every year, and having to match this would just put them in an even worse position. Cut your losses (even though you'll receive 4 first round picks, a hell of a consolation) and send him on his way. Especially if he doesn't have the heart to play there anymore.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:22 PM
PHILOUDELPHIA

I don't know who the owners are, i really don't want to know. I don't even know how NSH gets theire money and there TV station is a subfeed of FS South aka FS Tennessee.

He is not going to call holmgren's offer.

Holmgren has alot of money, ED was probably involved when shea was in town when he met the brass, ED basically said to paul, whatever it takes, make shea an OFFER HE CAN'T REFUSE.

you guys realize comcast spectacor makes money off the sixers still and they don't even own the team.

They get rent, and all the TV revune. Sixers are locked in there tv deal till 2029.

So ED and comcast collect until then.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
I don't know who the owners are, i really don't want to know. I don't even know how NSH gets theire money and there TV station is a subfeed of FS South aka FS Tennessee.

He is not going to call holmgren's offer.

Holmgren has alot of money, ED was probably involved when shea was in town when he met the brass, ED basically said to paul, whatever it takes, make shea an OFFER HE CAN'T REFUSE.

you guys realize comcast spectacor makes money off the sixers still and they don't even own the team.

They get rent, and all the TV revune. Sixers are locked in there tv deal till 2029.

So ED and comcast collect until then.
TV revenues do nothing for NHL teams. That's not where the bulk of the money comes from.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:28 PM
Jordan941

When it comes to the Flyers its never really a question of money that they need to spend, and no one is questioning that. I really think it might come down to the fact that Weber wants to be in Philly and that could push the hand of the owners into not matching the offer sheet. Do you really want an 8 million dollar a year player playing for your team when he doesn't even want to be there?

Weber had the opportunity to reject the offer sheet but he didn't, and its also been stated that he picked Philly over many other destinations. Poile and Holmgren may get into discussions about potential player trades instead of the picks, but at the end of the day I think Weber will dawn Orange and Black come next Thursday.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:30 PM
Justified
Amaro out

Homer is the honey badger, he takes what he wants and doesnt give a ****.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1045
This is a replay of Sam C.'s interview earlier on KYW (scroll down):

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...n-offer-sheet/

Old
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
RoDu

What would our first PP look like?

Hartnell Roo Simmonds
Weber Voracek

Old
07-19-2012, 09:32 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

Without knowing their financials I match.

Yeah, it is a lot of money for a small market, but if they don't match they have a PR disaster on their hands. They've told their fans they would match any offers. If they don't, they are sending the message that they are not willing to spend to keep their talent. They are going to lose fans and they will lose playoff revenue. Either way this is going to cost them money. On top of that, it's going to make it hard for them to attract free agents because they'll be known as a small market that can't keep its own talent let alone spend to compete.
If they struggle to add talent around him they could always trade him for a package that is more favorable to them. So if it is me I match.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:34 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

I read somewhere that Nashville lost money this year. That true?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:37 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
More like Paul Trollmgren, amirite?

Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
I read somewhere that Nashville lost money this year. That true?
I think it was $7M they lost that I read. I'm sure it's true considering less than 50% of the teams operate at a profit, might even be like 33%.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:38 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:

Depends on what my bank account says. If we lost money last year and don't have enough money to pay him it is a simple answer. If they have the money it is a simple answer.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:40 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

I think it will take a few days, but ultimately will end up with the Preds matching. Once it hits them that option b is 4 late first round picks they will feel obligated. 6 owners = 6 egos that won't like looking bad while their core disappears in a one month time period. I really hope I'm wrong.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
More like Paul Trollmgren, amirite?
You rite.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
healthyscratch

vCash: 633
Doesn't help Nashville that a lockout is looming. Possibly losing revenue from 12-15 home games before a season starts has to factor in the $ decision.

Old
Protest
C`est La Vie

Don't know if anyone mentioned this, but with all the contract bumps Holmgren and his staff have gone through, from Pronger to Talbot and so on, it's kind of amazing how well thought out this contract was.

Old
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
What would our first PP look like?

Hartnell Roo Simmonds
Weber Voracek

Also accepted as an answer: A gigantic erection.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:49 PM
flybynite77

The Knicks owner said they would 100% match any offer to Jeremy Lin and then a couple days later they were letting him go without matching. The Knicks have a HECKUVA lot more money than the Nashville Predators.

Going into the luxury tax with him on the payroll in the third year could have been a penalty of $45million I believe for them.

Who is more likely able to afford this
$45million luxury tax penalty for the Knicks
$27million in one calendar year for the Preds

Old
07-19-2012, 09:51 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Doesn't help Nashville that a lockout is looming. Possibly losing revenue from 12-15 home games before a season starts has to factor in the $ decision.
It doesn't help, but keep in mind they wanted the opportunity to match whatever Suter received on the market and they knew Weber would cost at least Suter money. They might have been prepared to cut at least $20M in bonuses anyway. The extra $6M isn't insignificant, but I am not sure his bonuses are as poisonous as the media is implying.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haute Couturier View Post
It doesn't help, but keep in mind they wanted the opportunity to match whatever Suter received on the market and they knew Weber would cost at least Suter money. They might have been prepared to cut at least $20M in bonuses anyway. The extra $6M isn't insignificant, but I am not sure his bonuses are as poisonous as the media is implying.
The Preds said they would match the term and money, but they never said anything about the bonuses. They could have offered 13 years 98 to Suter, but for 7.5 million in salary every year. They might not be comfortable giving out large bonuses like that because they are a cap team. Players are looking for that money up front now, and it also gives them insurance against a lockout. I'm just throwing ideas out there...

Old
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
flybynite77

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Possible factor as well. Let's also look at this and realize last years the Preds payroll was $49.2million.

The Preds will have to pay the first bonus immediately to Weber ($13million). That's 26% of their total payroll from last season.

That $13m is like two months worth of payroll expenses paid on one day this summer. So they're probably already going to be in a hole going into the season.

Closed Thread