HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Pronger: (Interviewed at Flyers' practice on March 4, 2014)

Old
05-14-2012, 08:21 AM
thelos
Bunk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I dont like Matt Carle as a player, but to call him a cancer is a bit much.
He still needs to go eslewhere tho
by all accounts he is a quiet and friendly guy. I just dont want him on our blueline anymore

thelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:12 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...chris_pronger/

Quote:
It's times like this that I think of Chris Pronger's unquenchable thirst for winning and I wonder if we have seen the last of the big guy.
Quote:
The reality of the situation, however, is he is still suffering from the effects of a nasty concussion and he has vowed not to return to playing hockey until he is 100 per cent better, if at all. Throughout his career Pronger has suffered numerous serious injuries and nearly every time he returned to action before he was completely healed.

Not this time. He won’t risk his long-term health just to play hockey.

There’s way too much at stake this time. We’re talking about a 37-year-old warrior who has nothing -- absolutely nothing! -- left to prove. He is a husband and a father and he has the rest of his life to think about. Raising his sons Jack and George and his daughter Lilah with his wife Lauren is more important than blocking shots and trading cross-checks in front of the net with opposing forwards.
Source: Mike Brophy, July 19, 2012

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:29 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

For all those asking about Pronger.....

My Proposal - this is sticked and...

Let's ALL just say he is done with hockey and will no longer return.... and we don't have to answer 5 questions a day about what his status is.... it's a bit much now.

So to clarify - Pronger is DONE playing hockey/not returning - is that clear to those asking...

If not PM me - I'll spell it all out for you

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:42 PM
2minutes4slashing

Couldnt agree more , thank you for posting this, the guys done, he's not playing again and to be honest ever since the Finals vs Chicago, he's not been the same .

2minutes4slashing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:19 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Pronger had his last gasp at a Cup versus Chicago. I love the guy (even tho everyone thinks he's a ******) and I appreciate the skill and veteranship he brought to this team.

This may seem sadistic, but without the loss of Pronger, we aren't in the position we are in now to be able to land Weber on the team. So he has unwillingly helped us even more, even though he's not here.

Hopefully he can stick around the lockerroom and offer advice/eventually get a role in the organization.. =)

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:33 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

the 2010 playoff run was the funnest year since 87 but 2010 was better cause i was older and able to have more "fun" while comin home every night to another awesome game. i was a kid in 87 and i thought we'd win the next year. He is in my mind a top ten defenseman in history (i'd replace paul coffey with pronger btw) and I'm happy we had him at all. He made an insane impact immediately and I'm just glad he was able to win that cup with the ducks. He was worth every penny of his contract just based off that one year. sucks but if we end this summer with weber than all problems will have been solved.

funghoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:37 PM
YuioIklo

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Pronger had his last gasp at a Cup versus Chicago. I love the guy (even tho everyone thinks he's a ******) and I appreciate the skill and veteranship he brought to this team.

This may seem sadistic, but without the loss of Pronger, we aren't in the position we are in now to be able to land Weber on the team. So he has unwillingly helped us even more, even though he's not here.

Hopefully he can stick around the lockerroom and offer advice/eventually get a role in the organization.. =)
No, we wouldn't need to pay 4 firsts if we had Pronger, actually. His loss has not helped us at all. Plus, his cap hit is under 5M, which is more than a bargain at this point. Maybe Holmgren would still try to get Weber, to have both of them for a short time and considering Pronger's age, we would have a long term replacement. And I still think a healthy Chris Pronger at 37-38 > Shea Weber right now. I love Shea Weber, but Pronger is a legend.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:50 PM
MsWoof

5 years is a long time so I'm not saying he's done. We've seen Crosby and Bergeron come back from concussions and a lot of others, too. Never say never.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:52 PM
rban*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
No, we wouldn't need to pay 4 firsts if we had Pronger, actually. His loss has not helped us at all. Plus, his cap hit is under 5M, which is more than a bargain at this point. Maybe Holmgren would still try to get Weber, to have both of them for a short time and considering Pronger's age, we would have a long term replacement. And I still think a healthy Chris Pronger at 37-38 > Shea Weber right now. I love Shea Weber, but Pronger is a legend.
God imagine one year of both Prongs and Shea on the team!

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Erza Scarlet
following the mantle

would drool over having Pronger and Weber on the team. I had them both on a fantasy draft, but probably the closest we get to it.

Erza Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 01:42 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Pronger was at the Blues' game last night:

http://media.kmov.com/images/470*261...AWKS+BLUES.jpg

Quote:
(HockeyStL) -- It was like old times at the Scottrade Center Thursday night when Al MacInnis and Chris Pronger stepped onto the ice together to honor Barret Jackman for becoming the Blues all-time leader in games played as a defenseman.

The pair played nine seasons together for the Blues before MacInnis retired in the 2003-04 season. Pronger would play for the Oilers the next season.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:49 PM
SolidSnakeUS

I saw that as well. I think that's the first time I saw him on the ice (skating or not) with post-concussion problems.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:32 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Pronger was at the Blues' game last night:

http://media.kmov.com/images/470*261...AWKS+BLUES.jpg

Also apparently visited the Blues practice facility this week:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Article

ODDS & ENDS

- Former Blue Chris Pronger visited the team's practice facility today. Pronger remains property of Philadelphia but is not currently playing (and may never play again) because of concussion-related problems.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hocke...abdf32055.html

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:35 PM
Krishna

vCash: 50
He really must be feeling weird

I remember a few years ago he refused to grow a beard during the playoffs because it was 'itchy'

Now he has one

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
He really must be feeling weird

I remember a few years ago he refused to grow a beard during the playoffs because it was 'itchy'

Now he has one
Probably now has time to keep it groom compared to no time to do anything in playoffs not hockey related and or takes medication.

GingerFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

From the article...

Programming alert: See Part 1 of Dan Murphy’s exclusive interview with Chris Pronger Wednesday on Connected.

Quote:
Speaking with Sportsnet’s Dan Murphy in a two-part series to be aired on Sportsnet Wednesday and Thursday, the first thing you notice is the absence of Pronger’s trademark swagger. It is a time of weakness, a side of Pronger we have never been privy to — like Samson after the haircut. A guy who never gave an inch is now about 30 yards behind the battle, and unsure — that’s right, Pronger is not at all confident here — if he will catch up.

"What’s happened was I had 30-year-old eyes. I got hit and the doctor told me I had 60-year-old eyes,” the former Hartford Whaler, St. Louis Blue, Edmonton Oiler, Anaheim Duck and Philadelphia Flyer tells Murphy. “I don’t have very good peripheral vision. That so-called sixth sense? I used to really have a good one. Now, I couldn’t feel anybody comin’ around a corner. My kids scare me all the time.

“That used to be what I was known for: knowing where everybody was; having a feel for who was around me. Now I don’t have that.”
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/s...om-nhl-return/

Old
03-06-2013, 01:28 PM
Intentional Icing
why you little!

Quote:
He was one of hockey’s great quarterbacks. Watching the Murphy interview however, you get the sense that Chris Pronger is no Elway.
I don't quite get this quote...

Intentional Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:31 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

Quote:
Originally Posted by pq View Post
I don't quite get this quote...
Pronger referenced Elway in leaving the spotlight on his own terms. The quote most likely means that Pronger didn't have that option, the decision was made for him. But tough to say without having seen the interview mentioned.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Pronger referenced Elway in leaving the spotlight on his own terms. The quote most likely means that Pronger didn't have that option, the decision was made for him. But tough to say without having seen the interview mentioned.
I heard the clip on the radio today and that's exactly what he meant.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 02:48 PM
dookie88

Would be awesome if someone records that interview!

dookie88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:00 PM
zombiekopitor
GOALdobin

vCash: 100
Wow for not even being 50, MacInnis does not look good.
I'm suprised this isn't on the Blues board, at least I didn't see a thread.

Pronger looks good though, best of luck to him!

zombiekopitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:05 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Despite his age, I truly wish Pronger the best in his recoveries regardless if he returns to the ice or not. But, as a Flyers fan, I truly hope he comes back even at his elderly age to at least ignite a flame on the Flyers bench.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:22 PM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanerixon View Post
Despite his age, I truly wish Pronger the best in his recoveries regardless if he returns to the ice or not. But, as a Flyers fan, I truly hope he comes back even at his elderly age to at least ignite a flame on the Flyers bench.
Judging by what he said about his eyes and peripheral awareness that seems even less likely now :/.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:25 PM
Flukeshot
Holmgren activate!

Probably destined for an office job with the Blues. I wonder if he could be traded to the Blues despite the injury so that he could begin that part of his career sooner than later without having to retire.

Flukeshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:11 PM
bennysflyers16

Still looks in great shape. Never ruled out a return completely, but he's done. Has no peripheral vision anymore. That simple exercise with the beads was depressing. So depressed watching that.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote