HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around Hockey X (All Non-Jackets Hockey talk in here)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 12:47 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Hate to see this happen to Preds fans. They've already had one below the belt shot with Suter, and now this.

There is a tiny bit of me that thinks if it goes through and Philly gets better that it may force the Rangers to make a move, and that would be good for the Nash situation.

But that voice is mostly silenced by watching yet another small market team get screwed over by a big market team.

...and knowing I cheer for a small market team.
Polie blew it by not getting these guys signed to extensions long ago. Not saying the Howson method of giving everything with a pulse 5 year, 3.5 million aav extensions is the way to go, but this issue should have been resolved years ago.

07-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Skraut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samkow View Post
Polie blew it by not getting these guys signed to extensions long ago. Not saying the Howson method of giving everything with a pulse 5 year, 3.5 million aav extensions is the way to go, but this issue should have been resolved years ago.
that is the problem. Small market teams have such a fine margin of error.

Meanwhile Wade Redden continues to collect a massive paycheck to play in the AHL

Can you imagine if the Jackets had signed him?

Old
07-19-2012, 03:03 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Quote:
Poile blew it by not getting these guys signed to extensions long ago. Not saying the Howson method of giving everything with a pulse 5 year, 3.5 million aav extensions is the way to go, but this issue should have been resolved years ago.
Under the current structure, Suter is the one he blew it on. A team can't extend a player until they are into the last year of their contract. Obviously discussions would certainly happen prior to that (all legal of course ). Suter should have been signed to an extension last Summer but didn't want to until seeing what the Preds were going to do. Weber only became elligible for an extension this July 1st and being we're two weeks in and the fact the Flyers have lost two key players to their back end I'm not surprised. Poile may have waited too long but as someone said, the Flyers did them a favor by establishing the mark.

I think he remains a predator. I don't think he would have signed an offer sheet if he didn't intend on staying. He had to know the Preds would match....

Old
07-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Doug19

I love watching the Predator's be dismantled piece by piece. This has been a good offseason with Detroit losing Lidstrom and Nashville potentially losing their best two defenders.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:34 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

What a united statement by the NHL owners....

Ask for this huge rollback from the players, then have one of your marquee franchises Offer Sheet a guy for 14 years at over 100 mil.....

Old
07-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Part of me wants to see Weber get matched by Nashville, since it will handcuff the hell out of them salary-wise. Maybe the Jackets will beat them a couple times as a result

Old
07-19-2012, 07:43 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feicht View Post
Part of me wants to see Weber get matched by Nashville, since it will handcuff the hell out of them salary-wise. Maybe the Jackets will beat them a couple times as a result
Philly would have to offer sheet the refs out of Bridgestone arena for that to be allowed to happen.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:27 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
Philly would have to offer sheet the refs out of Bridgestone arena for that to be allowed to happen.
Well played!

Old
07-19-2012, 08:37 PM
chunkbox

the Shea Weber offer sheet madness

this crossed my mind today at work , IF Nashville were to not match the Philadelphia offer and take the 4 first rounders , ...

maybe they would cough up 1 of them and add one of their own and a prospect / player in an attempt to land Nash ...

IF of course GMSH would trade Nash in division , ...

Columbus could end up with 4 first round picks next year

Columbus ( probably high ) maybe a lottery pick
Los Angles ( probably late ) 17 - 26
Nashville ( probably mid ) 12 - 20
Philadelphia ( probably late ) 17 - 26

pretty good standing if you ask me ...

Old
07-19-2012, 08:58 PM
CBJWennberg41
Me when I watch CBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkbox View Post
this crossed my mind today at work , IF Nashville were to not match the Philadelphia offer and take the 4 first rounders , ...

maybe they would cough up 1 of them and add one of their own and a prospect / player in an attempt to land Nash ...

IF of course GMSH would trade Nash in division , ...

Columbus could end up with 4 first round picks next year

Columbus ( probably high ) maybe a lottery pick
Los Angles ( probably late ) 17 - 26
Nashville ( probably mid ) 12 - 20
Philadelphia ( probably late ) 17 - 26

pretty good standing if you ask me ...
**** no. Nashville is screwed without Suter and Weber (assuming they lose Weber) I don't want to help them in any way. Plus, why would Nash waive there? He would still have nobody to play with, minus Rinne.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
that is the problem. Small market teams have such a fine margin of error.

Meanwhile Wade Redden continues to collect a massive paycheck to play in the AHL

Can you imagine if the Jackets had signed him?
I might be wrong but if I recall the Jackets were in the top 10 for spending dollars on players in 2010-2011 and they are still financially solvent as far as anyone knows...

The margin of error is not baseline income, the money potential is there for all organizations or the NHL would support a move; itís how organizations manage that income. Some organizations do it well others don't, one playoff game is worth one million dollars in the coffer... therein is the true margin.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:44 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

On the same token (but probably would never happen, just too many variables) and assuming this was a several season rebuilding process, would you entertain the idea of Nashville then "flipping" all four of those first rounders to Columbus for Nash?

Old
07-20-2012, 08:01 AM
KallioWeHardlyKnewYe
Blue Jacket's Curse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Under the current structure, Suter is the one he blew it on. A team can't extend a player until they are into the last year of their contract. Obviously discussions would certainly happen prior to that (all legal of course ). Suter should have been signed to an extension last Summer but didn't want to until seeing what the Preds were going to do. Weber only became elligible for an extension this July 1st and being we're two weeks in and the fact the Flyers have lost two key players to their back end I'm not surprised. Poile may have waited too long but as someone said, the Flyers did them a favor by establishing the mark.

I think he remains a predator. I don't think he would have signed an offer sheet if he didn't intend on staying. He had to know the Preds would match....
Interesting analysis of the contract, addressing both the possibility of rollbacks and the likelihood of a Preds match:

http://deadspin.com/5927347/shea-web...ng-masterpiece

Key piece:

Quote:
How to protect Weber's $110 million from becoming something less than $110 million?

Signing bonuses. Weber will actually only make $1M in salary each of his first four seasons. But he'll receive $52 million in signing bonuses over those four years, and $68 million over his first six. And signing bonuses cannot be touched by any proposed salary rollbacks. True, guaranteed money.
This writer concludes that based on those signing bonuses, the Preds won't match.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:19 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
On the same token (but probably would never happen, just too many variables) and assuming this was a several season rebuilding process, would you entertain the idea of Nashville then "flipping" all four of those first rounders to Columbus for Nash?

Maybe. If Nashville falls into a bottom tier team with the possibility of getting a #1 somewhere along the line coupled with the Jackets presumed inability to score absent Nash, could yield a very solid team 3 or 4 years down the line.

IF things broke right, how does MacKinnon & Seth Jones sound for next years crop?

Flame away.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:12 AM
Matt

Knowing the Preds, they probably have a couple of players in the system to replace them.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by KallioWeHardlyKnewYe View Post
This writer concludes that based on those signing bonuses, the Preds won't match.
The assumption is that Nashville is not capable of dealing with what appears to be 28 million over the first two years of the contract (what appears to be 26 million in signing bonus's and 2 million in salary). The Wild almost reached that with not one, but two players. They have 48 million committed to two players over two years.

We shall see I guess.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:10 AM
Roadman
Moving On

There is a cbj/edm/nyr thread on the mains. Very humerous to read the edm/nyr fan boys argue about the relative worth of Gagner/Hemsky vs Dubinsky/MDZ. No one is worth much or is worth his weight in gold depending on who has the last post.

Not much discussion of the CBJ position, but then other than the team that has Nash signed, it really doesn't seem to matter much.

Old
07-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Meanwhile, to be filed in the "yes, there are still other fans taking it on the chin worse than us" category...

Quote:
REPORT: VISNOVSKY FILES GRIEVANCE ON TRADE TO ISLANDERS

Defenceman Lubomir Visnovsky has filed a grievance through the NHL Players' Association to void his trade to New York Islanders, according to Newsday.

Arthur Staple of Newsday reports that Visnovsky claims his no-trade clause - put in place for his contract with the Edmonton Oilers - is still valid because he did not invoke it when he was dealt to the Anaheim Ducks in 2010.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
07-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Jesus.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:08 PM
FANonymous

Quote:

Jesus.
What am I looking at?

Old
07-23-2012, 05:12 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Just bought a new

Quote:
What am I looking at?
Dustin Byfuglien.

He looks quite tubby.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien.

He looks quite tubby.
Oh, ok. He most be hoping there's a lockout too.

Old
07-23-2012, 06:58 PM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:
Dustin Byfuglien.

He looks quite tubby.
Tubby is being kind

Old
07-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
What am I looking at?
A colorized photo of a pre-explosion Hindenburg.

Old
07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
A colorized photo of a pre-explosion Hindenburg.
Hey. We ALL know the camera adds 50 pounds.

I'm not sure where the other 50 came from though.

Closed Thread