HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Free Agency Thread 7 (Legit Sources ONLY) Shane Doan visiting Montreal (Post 400)

Closed Thread

Old
07-19-2012, 05:50 PM
MaxLacoste

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
If Poile doesn't match, am I the only one drooling on Nashvilles 2nd rounder this year? CGY is also going nowhere fast, we could be looking at 4 picks in the top 40.
I was thinking the same thing. Top 40 in 2013 is like having 3 first round in 2012. We could find some very good prospect !!!

My choice for thoses picks:

1st (mtl: mid first round): Anthony Duclair.
2nd (Cal): Anthony Mantha
3rd (Nash): Jordan Subban

Old
07-19-2012, 06:39 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Keep that draft talk to the draft thread, please

Old
07-19-2012, 06:45 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Nashville has all the CAP space in the world to match the offer. Damn all those picks are tempting though...

I think we all can consider that Nashville has become a good Hockey town & should be in it for the long haul. I actually like those games they played Vs Detroit, Octopus, they got catfish & some nice Ice girls.

Old
07-19-2012, 06:53 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
If Poile doesn't match, am I the only one drooling on Nashvilles 2nd rounder this year? CGY is also going nowhere fast, we could be looking at 4 picks in the top 40.
That's probably a pretty good bet at this point of the summer but their are other players those teams can sign and Nashville still can boast a good defence.Montreal could sign Doan and be a playoff team,Semin may sign a $2mil for one year contract.That's a lot of goals for a $2mil signing but can he play a interior game and I don't mean designing.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:17 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
That's probably a pretty good bet at this point of the summer but their are other players those teams can sign and Nashville still can boast a good defence.Montreal could sign Doan and be a playoff team,Semin may sign a $2mil for one year contract.That's a lot of goals for a $2mil signing but can he play a interior game and I don't mean designing.
If Semin was asking for just $2M, he'd have a 10 year contract right now.

Go north of $5M per and you'll be in Semins neighborhood.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:32 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
If Semin was asking for just $2M, he'd have a 10 year contract right now.

Go north of $5M per and you'll be in Semins neighborhood.
The fact that Jagr signed a $4.5 mil contract for a year could be an embarassment to Semin at his age if no team will sign him for that money,don't you think?KHL comes to mind.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:45 PM
habsrule22

i d rally try to sign PK in the next 7 days. The loser in the weber deal might go after him.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:02 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
When you say "they" do you mean all those fans that will stop going to the games?
What are you talking about? Some posters keep remind me how Kaberle is finally a great player with all that stats and all. So a Kaberle being top 2 might actually be a top d-man in the league....Right? Right?

Old
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPac67 View Post
Nashville has all the CAP space in the world to match the offer. Damn all those picks are tempting though...
The cap really has nothing to do with this, and its just another example of how irrelevant the system is to team management.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:26 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoingItLeBlancWay View Post
If we are terrible for the next year or two it'll at least be entertaining.. Hopefully by then all their young guns will need to re-sign and **** will get real in Philly.
Philly will have Timonen coming off the books, soon Briere and they can move a Hartnell type for younger players and picks and start all over again and keep adding to their already young team. Could move Coburn, Meszaros... Flyers are far from being stuck and most of their roster besides Bryzgalov are very tradable and have value

Old
07-19-2012, 08:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddahsmoka1 View Post
The cap really has nothing to do with this, and its just another example of how irrelevant the system is to team management.
I don't think people realize how bad this contract really is for Nashville in the 1st couple of years and that's why I have a funny feeling they might end up taking the picks

Old
07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If Nashville doesn't match there will be a massive facepalm amongst every non Flyer fan.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:57 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
The fact that Jagr signed a $4.5 mil contract for a year could be an embarassment to Semin at his age if no team will sign him for that money,don't you think?KHL comes to mind.
I'm sorry but I really don't know what you're talking about. Not trying to be sarcastic but what are you saying? Do you not think Semin will get a $5M contract? He's already had at least one offer for at least that by Rutherford in Carolina. The issue isn't as much salary as it is for term. He wants multiple years and he's only being offered very short term.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:13 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
???

110 Milllions.
Nashville can't match that perhaps? They're not a poor team.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:21 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

I'm sure that will shock some misinformed who think I'm a Russian hater because I didn't like Kovalev and Kostitsyn's work ethics, but I'd definitely offer Alex Semin a two-year, $5M per season contract.

Worth the gamble while our young guys are gaining valuable experience.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:25 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
I don't think people realize how bad this contract really is for Nashville in the 1st couple of years
Just to make it clear, Nashville is facing a $27 million outlay to Shea Weber in the next 12 calendar months. $13m signing bonus the moment the contract is signed, then $1m salary for 12/13, then another $13m bonus next July 1st (I presume that would be the date). That is a huge amount of cash for a franchise like Nashville to dish out to one player, and Philadelphia's ownership knows it. The sheet is specifically structured to be an absolute poison pill to the Predators franchise & ownership.

This contract is every bit as egregious as Kovalchuk's "sign him til he's 44" nonsensical deal was. It's not just the cap circumvention of those damned "tack on $1m years at the end" - it's the outright predation (pardon the pun) by a large-market team against a small-market one. This is not the way successful leagues are run. This is the way that leads to a permanent two-tiered league where the smaller markets effectively become farm teams for the larger ones.

Shame on this ****ing league for not stopping these ******* contracts when they started and letting them get to this point.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Nashy
The Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Just to make it clear, Nashville is facing a $27 million outlay to Shea Weber in the next 12 calendar months. $13m signing bonus the moment the contract is signed, then $1m salary for 12/13, then another $13m bonus next July 1st (I presume that would be the date). That is a huge amount of cash for a franchise like Nashville to dish out to one player, and Philadelphia's ownership knows it. The sheet is specifically structured to be an absolute poison pill to the Predators franchise & ownership.

This contract is every bit as egregious as Kovalchuk's "sign him til he's 44" nonsensical deal was. It's not just the cap circumvention of those damned "tack on $1m years at the end" - it's the outright predation (pardon the pun) by a large-market team against a small-market one. This is not the way successful leagues are run. This is the way that leads to a permanent two-tiered league where the smaller markets effectively become farm teams for the larger ones.

Shame on this ****ing league for not stopping these ******* contracts when they started and letting them get to this point.

Talk about kicking a team when they're down.

I agree that this is not the way successful leagues are run, but then again we're talking about a league that has owned a hockey team in the desert for 2 years....success does not seem imminent.

Let's hope that the next CBA will have controls in place that will protect the owners from themselves, because all they've done in the last 5 years is figured out how to bastardize their own beloved cap.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimus2861 View Post
Hmm, well, being $14M under the cap floor, they were going to have to spend $14M this year anyway, somehow, some way. They could just spend it on Weber now and some cheap guys to finish off the roster as a cap floor team. Which is still a lower payroll than they had last year?

And as much as people are playing up the "12 calendar months" thing, the reality is its still $14M for this season, and $14M for next. It's a red herring to play that as if it's $27M for 1 year. They were going to pay him at least $8M per no matter what. Now it's more. And it's independent of work stoppages. And uninsurable in all likelihood. But still covers 2 seasons.

In fact, it probably makes more sense to look at the whole front-load duration, the 4-year or 6-year chunk which is still a huge up-front amount of money. You don't really need to try to play games with 346 days vs. 365. It's $56M in 4 years or $70M in 6 or whatever, which is still a massive amount of money for a single player, and so much of it in bonuses that are risk-free for the player and correspondingly higher risk for the team.

I dunno, without knowing a lot of specifics on Nashville's finances, or their "philosophy" on long-term contracts, who knows. They'll also have to factor in what they feel like Weber is thinking, what his mindset is. I dunno if they'll get a good chance to sit down with him now and talk about this. They'll probably have to go from whatever vibe they were getting before. I originally thought matching would be a no-brainer. Maybe it's not.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

I wonder if the trade will end up being both the Schenn's, enough to keep everybody happy.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:11 PM
optimus2861

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
In fact, it probably makes more sense to look at the whole front-load duration, the 4-year or 6-year chunk which is still a huge up-front amount of money. You don't really need to try to play games with 346 days vs. 365. It's $56M in 4 years or $70M in 6 or whatever, which is still a massive amount of money for a single player, and so much of it in bonuses that are risk-free for the player and correspondingly higher risk for the team.
The other thing I just read on the Preds board, which I didn't know, is that the bonuses are uninsurable in case of injury. If Weber turns into a DiPietro tomorrow, the Preds remain on the hook for all those bonuses, but can't recoup that money through insurance. Only his annual salary - which is a comparative pittance in the first few years.

I didn't understand that before; that sinks my opinion of this offer, the Philadelphia Flyers, and the NHL even lower. Damn them all.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I wonder if the trade will end up being both the Schenn's, enough to keep everybody happy.
What trade?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:00 PM
clownquestionbro*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
What trade?
predators sign weber and then trade him to philly as opposed to taking the first round picks. quite frankly 2 5th overall picks > 4 picks between 20-30.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:08 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownquestionbro View Post
predators sign weber and then trade him to philly as opposed to taking the first round picks. quite frankly 2 5th overall picks > 4 picks between 20-30.
Wrong thread, my bad.

On another thread they were speculating on whether Nashville would trade Philly's 4 1st round picks back to Philly and I was speculating on what it would be.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:09 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by clownquestionbro View Post
Once an offer sheet is matched, you can't trade that player for at least 1 year which is why Nashville got screwed in the ass by Philly. Because Weber's agent publicly stated that he had no intention to stay in Nashville, it's either 4 picks or 1 year at 28 Million for Nashville.

Last edited by CN_paladin: 07-19-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:32 PM
E = CH²

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hmm, well, being $14M under the cap floor, they were going to have to spend $14M this year anyway, somehow, some way. They could just spend it on Weber now and some cheap guys to finish off the roster as a cap floor team. Which is still a lower payroll than they had last year?
Except, Weber's cap hit won't be 14M. It will be 7.85M. They'll need to add another 6ish mill to get to the cap floor. Then because of that Weber deal, they'll be spending 6M more than the cap floor. For a team like Nashville which doesn't spend to the cap and operate on a budget, it handicaps them. It means they have 6 less millions to spend on improving their team.

Quote:
And as much as people are playing up the "12 calendar months" thing, the reality is its still $14M for this season, and $14M for next. It's a red herring to play that as if it's $27M for 1 year. They were going to pay him at least $8M per no matter what. Now it's more. And it's independent of work stoppages. And uninsurable in all likelihood. But still covers 2 seasons.

I dunno, without knowing a lot of specifics on Nashville's finances, or their "philosophy" on long-term contracts, who knows. They'll also have to factor in what they feel like Weber is thinking, what his mindset is. I dunno if they'll get a good chance to sit down with him now and talk about this. They'll probably have to go from whatever vibe they were getting before. I originally thought matching would be a no-brainer. Maybe it's not.
No, it's not a red herring. It is 27M in less than a year. Possibly even a lockout year where they still need to pay the bonuses.

Not to mention that if there are salary rollbacks negotiated in the next CBA, bonuses are supposedly unaffected so Nashville couldn't event count on that relief.

And not to mention that Weber seems to want out, and NSH seemed to want to trade him. After the arbitration and this whole mess with Suter leaving and Weber signing with PHI... Do you want to keep Weber's rights for one year and pay a quarter of his contract for only one year of his contract then be forced to trade him somewhere ?

It's a very very crafty move my Holmgren. I wish the habs would do stuff like that and were ready to win at any cost.

Closed Thread