HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2012, 02:40 PM
NotProkofievian

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
My prediction - Habs won't be drafting in the top five, so forget about Shinkaruk.

One player who is really flying under the radar is Wennberg - not even in some scouting services' top 60, which is a joke. He's good....really good.

A one-two punch at center of Glachenhyuk and Wennberg in five years would be lethal..trade Pleks and DD for left wingers if need be.
I think we'll probably be in the mix for a top 10 pick, but I'd like to give you a +1 on Wennberg. That kid just kept scoring goals all U18. I was tuning in to watch Forsberg and Collberg and these two kids, Possler and Wennberg were just running a train on the opposition.

Old
07-19-2012, 07:08 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotProkofievian View Post
I think we'll probably be in the mix for a top 10 pick, but I'd like to give you a +1 on Wennberg. That kid just kept scoring goals all U18. I was tuning in to watch Forsberg and Collberg and these two kids, Possler and Wennberg were just running a train on the opposition.
If the Habs draft in the top ten this year and Calgary & Nashville or C&N for the rest of the draft threads,C&N picks can be close to first round picks.The Habs should have 4 in the Top 40 for 2013,not including any picks derived from the Trade Deadline.The possibilities could mean another prolific draft next summer and Wennberg might be the starting point with Possler close behind.Chicago in the meantime are still in need of a 2nd line center behind Toews and by the deadline may indeed want our big center Plekanec.Maybe there's a deal to be had say Teravainen & their 2013 2nd round pick giving the Habs a very good prospect and 4-2nd round picks in 2013.Just sayin......

Old
07-19-2012, 08:14 PM
NotProkofievian

With the Weber offer-sheet, things are looking up for that Nashville 2nd. There's a lot of offensive talent that might be poking around in the early second. Buchnevich, Possler, Wennberg, Tolchinsky all come to mind.

I think we need a couple more really good offensive prospects along with Galchenyuk, and Collberg to put us into contention down the road.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:41 PM
HockeyFan87

Quote:
With the Weber offer-sheet, things are looking up for that Nashville 2nd. There's a lot of offensive talent that might be poking around in the early second. Buchnevich, Possler, Wennberg, Tolchinsky all come to mind.

I think we need a couple more really good offensive prospects along with Galchenyuk, and Collberg to put us into contention down the road.
I think the habs definitely need another player at least of the caliber of Galchenyuk to become a serious perennial contender in the future.

A duo of Galchenyuk and MacKinnon would be a dream come true and would set the team for a long time.

Old
07-19-2012, 09:58 PM
le_sean

Quote:
He looks good, but his birthday is Sept 22nd, therefore he just missed this draft and will almost be a year older than everyone in 2013. He better have a strong season.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:56 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
He looks good, but his birthday is Sept 22nd, therefore he just missed this draft and will almost be a year older than everyone in 2013. He better have a strong season.
All the better if he learns his defence,offence isn't a problem.My choice for the Habs 1st round if he's available is still Shinkaruk,that young man is talent personified there is no doubt IMO.He has the speed,spirit and stamina of a champion something that will bring the Habs back into the "Elite Teams" winner's circle.The Habs Power Play with PK Subban,Nathan Beaulieu,Alex Galchenyuk,Sebastian Collberg and Hunter Shinkaruk will be a real crowd favorite in the Bell Center in five years.Shinkaruk will probably be available at the 7th or 8th overall the way the 2013 draft is shaping up.While most teams will be choosing the bigger talents the Habs team won't be missing size with Tinordi & Beaulieu joining the team.

Last edited by S Bah: 07-20-2012 at 12:11 AM.
Old
07-19-2012, 11:43 PM
NotProkofievian

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
That's a fair point. Possler's a late birthday too, born on Remembrance Day. However, Possler's been very strong in Superelit and at the U18.

It's quite possible there would be any number of offensive swedes and ruskies available for our 3 2nd rounders.

Old
07-23-2012, 04:25 AM
S Bah

Quote:
That's a fair point. Possler's a late birthday too, born on Remembrance Day. However, Possler's been very strong in Superelit and at the U18.

It's quite possible there would be any number of offensive swedes and ruskies available for our 3 2nd rounders.
I sure would like to see the Habs draft Seth Jones whether he's 2nd or 6th,having him join the other Dmen coming in the next 3-4yrs.Special. Getting Drouin and Wennberg as well just icing on the cake,that would make 2013 draft as good if not better than 2012's.Nicholas Baptiste with our 3rd 2nd rounder would make it Christmas real early and just a Happy Year for all of the Hab Fans.

Old
07-23-2012, 05:57 AM
pine

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I sure would like to see the Habs draft Seth Jones whether he's 2nd or 6th,having him join the other Dmen coming in the next 3-4yrs.Special. Getting Drouin and Wennberg as well just icing on the cake,that would make 2013 draft as good if not better than 2012's.Nicholas Baptiste with our 3rd 2nd rounder would make it Christmas real early and just a Happy Year for all of the Hab Fans.
Pretty sure you're dreaming in technicolor, bud...

Old
07-23-2012, 10:12 AM
Beendair Donedat

With the strong possibility of no hockey this season, what would happen if there was no deal reached on a CBA? How would the 2013 draft play out?

Old
07-23-2012, 01:10 PM
Uwey

Quote:
If the 2012-2013 season gets locked down then the NHL will be using the weighted system for the draft.Meaning they go by the teams last full season,where the Habs were 3rd from last place,at least I would assume the draft would be conducted that way.In a lottery type of draft the Habs could conceivably pick in the Top five again.The scouting staff should be enlarged to assure the Habs the plum pickings they so justly deserve.There can't be a hockey fan in the world that hasn't heard of the accomplishments of the Montreal Canadiens n'est ce pas?So the Habs are pleased to announce the 1st pick overall in the 2012-2013 draft will be ...........!It can only be a small reward for no hockey twice in less than a decade,the Habs get a MacKinnon or Seth Jones to sate the appetite of millions of Habs fans worldwide.Now I wonder if Bettman will see things the same way and the NHLPA.

The 2005 NHL Entry Draft was the 43rd NHL Entry Draft.

As a lockout cancelled the games of the 2004–05 NHL season, the draft order was determined by lottery on July 22, 2005. Teams were assigned 1 to 3 balls based on their playoff appearances and first overall draft picks from the past three years. According to the draft order, the selection worked its way up to 30 as usual; then instead of repeating the order as in past years, the draft "snaked" back down to the team with the first pick. Therefore the team with the first pick overall would not pick again until the 60th pick. The team with the 30th pick would also get the 31st pick. The new CBA reduced the draft to seven rounds in length, compared to nine rounds in years past.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26401

Old
08-01-2012, 02:51 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Pretty sure you're dreaming in technicolor, bud...
I'm pretty sure of that myself but I enjoy my dreams and nobody can take them away from me.

Old
08-02-2012, 01:06 AM
JHabs61

Where is Jonathan Drouin expected to go? I think I'll be on his wagon this season.

Old
08-03-2012, 04:29 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Price2Pleks View Post
Where is Jonathan Drouin expected to go? I think I'll be on his wagon this season.
J.Drouin will probably be drafted by Montreal if they are both lucky.He's going to be in Halifax this season as MacKinnon's wingman which should provide him with good experience for playing in Montreal as Galchenyuk's wingman along with Collberg.I find it hard to believe the Habs are trying to sign Doan when they are lowballing PK Subban.I'm starting to think about the 1st and 2nd overall picks again.Whenever I think about the next draft Seth Jones name is 2nd on the list,my thought is the Habs need a leader both on offence and defence.Seth Jones could step right into the Habs lineup and be that player within four years.By that time all of the young prospects that are in Hamilton will be playing in Montreal and the Canadiens defence will be terrific.Tinordi,Beaulieu,Thrower,Dietz,Gorges Pk Subban & Seth Jones that is quite a great seven man defence.Add Galchenyuk & Collberg,Leblanc,Kristo and the other sparkling prospects like Gallagher and Bournival and the offence will be running on all cylinders.One player could make a massive difference between winner and also-ran,let's not forget the ultimate goal for a lousy couple of playoff home games,when with the right pick it could be A Stanley Cup Parade in three-four years.Bergevin is building the Habs into the team of his vision and getting Prust,Bouillon and Armstrong for $1,000,000 is a really good start at having a solid bottom six or 3rd & 4th lines.We have to wait and see whether the Habs get PK Subban or draft choices.If Bergevin gets a lottery pick and another 1st & 2nd round pick the Habs will have huge firepower as they start making their choices payoff with the playoffs.

Last edited by S Bah: 08-03-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 09:16 AM
hockey365

Quote:
J.Drouin will probably be drafted by Montreal if they are both lucky.He's going to be in Halifax this season as MacKinnon's wingman which should provide him with good experience for playing in Montreal as Galchenyuk's wingman along with Collberg.I find it hard to believe the Habs are trying to sign Doan when they are lowballing PK Subban.I'm starting to think about the 1st and 2nd overall picks again.Whenever I think about the next draft Seth Jones name is 2nd on the list,my thought is the Habs need a leader both on offence and defence.Seth Jones could step right into the Habs lineup and be that player within four years.By that time all of the young prospects that are in Hamilton will be playing in Montreal and the Canadiens defence will be terrific.Tinordi,Beaulieu,Thrower,Dietz,Gorges Pk Subban & Seth Jones that is quite a great seven man defence.Add Galchenyuk & Collberg,Leblanc,Kristo and the other sparkling prospects like Gallagher and Bournival and the offence will be running on all cylinders.One player could make a massive difference between winner and also-ran,let's not forget the ultimate goal for a lousy couple of playoff home games,when with the right pick it could be A Stanley Cup Parade in three-four years.Bergevin is building the Habs into the team of his vision and getting Prust,Bouillon and Armstrong for $1,000,000 is a really good start at having a solid bottom six or 3rd & 4th lines.We have to wait and see whether the Habs get PK Subban or draft choices.If Bergevin gets a lottery pick and another 1st & 2nd round pick the Habs will have huge firepower as they start making their choices payoff with the playoffs.
Here's a thought, concerning Subban, won't you give him approx what he wants, which is about a 4 to 6 yr $5.5M a year contract, then deal him to Nashville for Weber. Add to the trade one good prospect plus Bourque or Eller (not both) and a 2nd round pick of 2013. This is more likely than banking on picking Jones!

Yes you're picking up the biggest contract ever, so what??? He's the best in the NHL and he'll become your captain and lead you to greatness! Plus, the Canadians have the $$ to cover his contract. Buy-buy Gomez

OR

Knowing Phili needs a D, trade him with your 2nd round pick for a package like Talbot/Simmons and their 2013 1st round pick. You know they wont give up Giroux or Couturier, so no need to go there.

Simmons will fill the whole on your 2nd line that is needed, plus bring grit and size on that line. No more guessing games with Bourque, trade him for a draft pick!!! Simmons will produce!!!!

In the trade, you'll pick up 2 exceptional players in the 1st round. as you said, they're building for the cup in 4 yrs. So the 2013 picks will be ready for that time! You loose Subban, but you gain grit and size up front and 2 great players in the 1st round of next year's draft.

A step back to go higher......

The Canadians won't win this year, so why bother..... Focus for the future

Last edited by hockey365: 08-03-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey365 View Post
Here's a thought, concerning Subban, won't you give him approx what he wants, which is about a 4 to 6 yr $5.5M a year contract, then deal him to Nashville for Weber. Add to the trade one good prospect plus Bourque or Eller (not both) and a 2nd round pick of 2013. This is more likely than banking on picking Jones!

OR

Knowing Phili needs a D, trade him with your 2nd round pick for a package like Talbot/Simmons and their 2013 1st round pick. You know they wont give up Giroux or Couturier, so no need to go there.

Simmons will fill the whole on your 2nd line that is needed, plus bring grit and size on that line. Then you'll have to trade the Bourques and companies for draft picks
FYI, Weber will be a Preds for the rest of his career. Nashville is not allowed to trade him the first year after matching an offer sheet and they won't trade him in a year after spending 26M on him the first year. They wil keep him to benefit from the 6M annual salary he will make in 6 years. There's simply no way he is not there for ever.

Old
08-03-2012, 09:30 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
FYI, Weber will be a Preds for the rest of his career. Nashville is not allowed to trade him the first year after matching an offer sheet and they won't trade him in a year after spending 26M on him the first year. They wil keep him to benefit from the 6M annual salary he will make in 6 years. There's simply no way he is not there for ever.
Thanks for the info. I thought the no trade clause begins at seasons. Therefore, option #2 with Phili!

Old
08-03-2012, 09:33 AM
bhuya71

Quote:

Yes you're picking up the biggest contract ever, so what??? He's the best in the NHL and he'll become your captain and lead you to greatness! Plus, the Canadians have the $$ to cover his contract. Buy-buy Gomez

OR

Simmons will fill the whole on your 2nd line that is needed, plus bring grit and size on that line. No more guessing games with Bourque, trade him for a draft pick!!! Simmons will produce!!!!

In the trade, you'll pick up 2 exceptional players in the 1st round. as you said, they're building for the cup in 4 yrs. So the 2013 picks will be ready for that time! You loose Subban, but you gain grit and size upfront and build for the future.

The Canadians won't win this year, so why bother..... Focus for the future
Scenario one to NSH: You ARE DREAMING if you think NSH trades Weber for that package let alone...THEY CANT THIS YEAR...do some research before posting...

Scenario two to Philly: We give up a top pairing dman at the age of 22 who already averages close to half a game in minutes and puts up 35+ points...fights...hits...excellent pker...booming shot....great break out pass...great hitter...and electric skater for a freaking late first and a 2nd liner/3rd liner

Chris Chelios got us Denis savard who consistenly put up 50+ points and we still GOT FLEECED... you are even thinking of trading subban for simmonds who has never cracked 50 on WAY better teams....

Subban would have to either be traded for couturier/schenn plus or subban plus for giroux and THATS THE ONLY way we consider it... lets not even think of the BLACK HOLE it leaves on our defense...

terrible terrible trades

Old
08-03-2012, 10:07 AM
hockey365

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Scenario one to NSH: You ARE DREAMING if you think NSH trades Weber for that package let alone...THEY CANT THIS YEAR...do some research before posting...

Scenario two to Philly: We give up a top pairing dman at the age of 22 who already averages close to half a game in minutes and puts up 35+ points...fights...hits...excellent pker...booming shot....great break out pass...great hitter...and electric skater for a freaking late first and a 2nd liner/3rd liner

Chris Chelios got us Denis savard who consistenly put up 50+ points and we still GOT FLEECED... you are even thinking of trading subban for simmonds who has never cracked 50 on WAY better teams....

Subban would have to either be traded for couturier/schenn plus or subban plus for giroux and THATS THE ONLY way we consider it... lets not even think of the BLACK HOLE it leaves on our defense...

terrible terrible trades
My point is, if the 2013 draft pans out to be anything remotely close to the 2003 draft year, rather tank this year to come back strong in 4 yrs. Especially this year, we have a GM who (so far) has proven he knows what he's doing in terms of drafting.

Late first round pick you can get another D like Morin or Nikita Zadorov, plus your early 1st round pick should give you a blue-chip offensive threat. You're looking at what you're losing and not what you're gaining.

Plus, it seems to me that the head office does not consider Subban for long term, they've put a 2 yr contract infront of him and are sticking to their guns. I cannot say why, but if you don't see Subban for the long run, why not trade him asap, instead of waiting at the last minute.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything Subban brings to the table, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Yeah, Simmons and Talbot were not my 1st choice, but Phili will NEVER give up the players you've mentionned. Other teams have tried to get them, Phili told them where to go!

Last edited by hockey365: 08-03-2012 at 10:14 AM.
Old
08-03-2012, 10:09 AM
hockey365

Quote:

terrible terrible trades
Simmons is a good asset who'll take the place of that 2013 draft pick that you'll be grooming in the minors. No more guessing games on the right wing with Bourque

Old
08-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
My point is, if the 2013 draft pans out to be anything remotely close to the 2003 draft year, rather tank this year to come back strong in 4 yrs. Especially this year, we have a GM who (so far) has proven he knows what he's doing in terms of drafting.

Late first round pick you can get another D like Morin or Nikita Zadorov, plus your early 1st round pick should give you a blue-chip offensive threat. You're looking at what you're losing and not what you're gaining.

Plus, it seems to me that the head office does not consider Subban for long term, they've put a 2 yr contract infront of him and are sticking to their guns. I cannot say why, but if you don't see Subban for the long run, why not trade him asap, instead of waiting at the last minute.

Don't get me wrong, I love everything Subban brings to the table, the good, the bad and the ugly!

Yeah, Simmons and Talbot were not my 1st choice, but Phili will NEVER give up the players you've mentionned. Other teams have tried to get them, Phili told them where to go!
It's not that they don't consider P.K. for long term. It's that they don't want him to hit UFA just like Price, Eller, Patches etc...

+Our window of opportunity won't last 10 years with Price, P.K., Patches. they're entering their prime in 2 or 3 years ..

Old
08-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

terrible terrible trades
Terrible pun.

Old
08-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Fozz

Quote:

There's a thread for all you tankologists somewhere over there. That's where this kind of stuff belongs. You'll have a blast there.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
There's a thread for all you tankologists somewhere over there. That's where this kind of stuff belongs. You'll have a blast there.
There's a difference between a "tankologist" and a real fan. A real fan wants not only to win the Stanley Cup, but building a dynasty. You want a team that can compete and be a contender each and every year. Not a team that goes into the playoffs by the back door. Yes the Kings were an exception but exception isn't the majority of the time. The Montreal Canadiens have a good young core but there are missing pieces and adding a young elite prospect like MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Drouin, etc is part of building the core. We are not in a rebuilding mode, but we are trying to build something that lasts.

Old
08-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabba11 View Post
There's a difference between a "tankologist" and a real fan. A real fan wants not only to win the Stanley Cup, but building a dynasty. You want a team that can compete and be a contender each and every year. Not a team that goes into the playoffs by the back door. Yes the Kings were an exception but exception isn't the majority of the time. The Montreal Canadiens have a good young core but there are missing pieces and adding a young elite prospect like MacKinnon, Jones, Monahan, Drouin, etc is part of building the core. We are not in a rebuilding mode, but we are trying to build something that lasts.
We have the elite prospect already. Did you forget this seasons?

Closed Thread