HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Green re-signed (three years, $18.25M)

Old
07-17-2012, 04:55 PM
G3 LesPaul

vCash: 500
Im still mad but that is nothing new

The only guy on the team I hate and he gets this

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:58 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
a one year contract is going to hurt if he plays well. i dont see any point in doing that. if you are so convinced that his game is damaged and wont return, why resigning him at all?

if you think he is going to play well enough to pay $5m to, then he's going to play well enough that you have to pay him much more to resign him or you lose him.
Because win now. I could care less about three years from now (and our future on D is pretty good anyway). That type of deal would've given us the best chance to win in 2012-13 season (that may or may not take place, but still).

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 06:59 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Because win now. I could care less about three years from now (and our future on D is pretty good anyway). That type of deal would've given us the best chance to win in 2012-13 season (that may or may not take place, but still).
The Caps offered that exact deal. Green turned it down.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:48 PM
txpd

Quote:
how does it give the caps the best chance to win this season?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
The difference between that deal and the current deal, in terms of this season impact, isn't going to make much difference. It'd be very tough for them to come that close to the cap even if they wanted to.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 08:32 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
honestly i think a lot of us see green's defense thru the lens of his rep because i think his defense had improved far beyond liability status. i look at green's defensive situation and penalty killing ice time from hunter as a backup to that.

he was put on the ice for defensive situations when ovechkin and other offensive players were getting bumpkus.
Green's defense is not an issue. He's a perfectly capable top 4 dman. His offense is the problem. And it's his fault more than anyone else (imo) for the death of the Caps offense. He was useless against Montreal. He was useless at the start of the 2010-11 season which prompted Bruce to go full trap. And he's been useless offensively ever since. Can he play offense and defense at the same time? May as well bet $18 million that he can.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:05 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Green's defense is not an issue. He's a perfectly capable top 4 dman. His offense is the problem. And it's his fault more than anyone else (imo) for the death of the Caps offense. He was useless against Montreal. He was useless at the start of the 2010-11 season which prompted Bruce to go full trap. And he's been useless offensively ever since. Can he play offense and defense at the same time? May as well bet $18 million that he can.
He isn't getting paid for putting up points. That would be stupid, it would have come out to $869,000 per point last season. He is getting paid for his one-man breakout.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:23 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
QFT

We all saw it this year in the playoffs. He did fine defensively. Still awkward bracing himself (ha - like not at all) for hits, and could stand to hit a bit more, but overall is fine. It's his offense that is gone. Problem is that he is paid based on his offense in years past.

While teams realized they can safely double and triple Ovi and limit our offense, Ovi was still listed in the league leaders in goals to close the year. He is finding other ways to score. Green, not so much.

Sorting out Green is critical for us to not be a trap team again next year. I am not sure how long a leash he will have from Oates to hold the puck on the point on the PP and just look around. Its like he lost his will to be creative, or willingness to try. Does he conclusively have his fav stick, I think it was discontinued. And he has not been the same offensive stud since.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:24 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Green is CLEARLY being paid for his offensive skills, or rather the assumption that his production will return.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 05:04 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Just wanted to say "booooooooo" today. This thread is as good place as any. Now back to real life.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:19 PM
n3ss

For those that dislike this signing, what was the alternative?

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by n3ss View Post

I'm good w/ the signing.

The main alternative was to get (approximately) 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks for Green. Impossible to say what a crazy GM might have traded.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 09:50 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
45-23-13 with Greenie in the lineup, 45-32-6 without.
Wasn't there an overlap with Backstrom being out at the same time?
I'm okay with the signing.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:09 PM
amjay13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post
Wasn't there an overlap with Backstrom being out at the same time?
I'm okay with the signing.
Yes there was. The team is better with Mike Green in the lineup than without it, there is zero question about it. If he plays a full, healthy year (that's the risk I guess), this season, everyone in this thread will be happy with the contract.

amjay13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
Yes there was. The team is better with Mike Green in the lineup than without it, there is zero question about it. If he plays a full, healthy year (that's the risk I guess), this season, everyone in this thread will be happy with the contract.
Beagle was out too. Oct 13-Dec 28th.
Green Oct 22-Jan. 3 with one game played Nov 11, 2012.
So the team is better with Jay Beagle in the line up than without.

We lost in the playoffs when Beagle wasn't playing.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Five-man breakout.

Brad Tolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:31 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
I don't have a problem with resigning him but I do feel they could have played more hard ball and gotten the cap hit down to closer to the $5.25 mil one from his last contract. Is the difference between the say $5.5 mil cap hit I would have preferred and the $6.083 mil cap hit his actual contract carries enough to fret about? No but I am struggling to see what even makes Green a $5 mil defenseman these days much less a $6 mil one so anything they could have done to bring it down would have made me happier.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjay13 View Post
If he plays a full, healthy year (that's the risk I guess), this season, everyone in this thread will be happy with the contract.
That really depends on how he plays defensively and what numbers he puts up offensively. If he plays 80 games and puts up 11-21-32 numbers, which is his average production over the last 2 seasons and playoffs, and plays defense roughly to the same level he did last season no way could anyone call him a $6 mil defenseman and not even close IMO.

Old
07-19-2012, 05:47 PM
n3ss

If he's healthy and plays a full season, theres no way you're getting only 32 points out of him, especially with Wideman and Hunter gone.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:19 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
If he's healthy and plays a full season, theres no way you're getting only 32 points out of him, especially with Wideman and Hunter gone.
I like your optimism but after watching the last 103 games he has played over 2 seasons and 2 playoffs I don't necessarily agree...

Old
07-19-2012, 10:33 PM
noptov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
I like your optimism but after watching the last 103 games he has played over 2 seasons and 2 playoffs I don't necessarily agree...
Perhaps more than any player on the team, Green needs to get his confidence and swagger back. That playoff sequence of Green and Hammer faking slappers, then passing back and forth along the blueline was horrific. A confident Green walks in with all that space in front of him and either takes a blast or after drawing out the defense, dishes to Hammer or a forward for a one timer.

If he can start making those plays again, he'll live up to the contract. If.

noptov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:27 AM
artilector

Doesn't matter what Green does in the regular season. He has to stay healthy in playoffs, no drama on defense, lead the transition, and chip in with some goals or meaningful assists. That's the way and the only way to justify that contract.

If you ask me if I'm confident he can do that -- no, not really. I don't think he can produce offensively in playoffs, and I don't think he can really eliminate brainfarts on defense to be truly reliable. So my overall "optimistic" outlook is hopefully he stays healthy, leads the transition, and does his best "bend but don't break" bit on defense. If he can do that, he'll be valuable, if ~1m overpaid. The overpayment may not matter either, because, first of all, he's not the first overpaid guy on the team, and second of all, the Caps might not make use of that cap space anyway. Of course the worst case scenario has to do with injuries, and.. let's not talk about that.

On a stacked elite loaded-to-the-max team I'd probably be really pizzed off with having Green at 6m+ on the roster. But Caps are not that team right now, so... shrug.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 AM
Atlas

Was Green on that ultimate epic fail PP in the 3rd against the NYR? if so, he deserves a 2mill/yr pay cut right away.

But it seems to me Wideman was out for that. Can't remember. I hate to mention it but dang that PP, in Game 7, speaks volumes about this franchise. The team collapsed.

Ribs should help?

Old
07-20-2012, 01:45 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Was Green on that ultimate epic fail PP in the 3rd against the NYR? if so, he deserves a 2mill/yr pay cut right away.

But it seems to me Wideman was out for that. Can't remember. I hate to mention it but dang that PP, in Game 7, speaks volumes about this franchise. The team collapsed.

Ribs should help?
Nah, IMO single player can't do anything (ok, maybe Pronger) -- and certainly good or bad PPs never really come down to individual players. But if the Caps can somehow play like more than the sum of their parts, then sure, Ribeiro has that extra "bit of quality" that can make a difference.

But step 1 is if Oates can come up with a system in which Ovi, the rest of the core, and the young guys can be successful in.. If he can, then we can once again think in terms of "how many pieces away" we could be from the Cup, and Ribeiro should help with that.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:00 AM
Atlas

art, I agree. I am actually very interested to see what Oates comes up with. He was a truly great player even though he didn't shoot enough.

I'm not too keen on the personnel though.

PP:

19, 8, 52, Ribs and who? Brouwer? Wolski fhs? Laich (gag)? Carlson would be ok.