HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blues re-sign T.J. Oshie (5 years, $4.175M per)

Old
07-20-2012, 01:57 AM
Halak Ness Monster

vCash: 500
Is anyone surprised we are backloading all of these contracts?

We still haven't even spent to the floor yet. Why not leave a little extra room down the road when Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are making about 11-12 million combined?

Is it just a case of the Blues wanting to turn a profit right now?

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:05 AM
Memento
Missourian.

Doug Armstrong strikes again with another brilliant deal. Now all we need to do is sign Pietrangelo to a long-term deal.

Memento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:09 AM
letmesleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deen View Post
Soooooo...... Bouwmeester for Andy McDonald then?
I yelled "NO!" so loudly that I woke up the dog.

The neighbor's dog.

letmesleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:38 AM
oPlaiD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
Is anyone surprised we are backloading all of these contracts?

We still haven't even spent to the floor yet. Why not leave a little extra room down the road when Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk are making about 11-12 million combined?

Is it just a case of the Blues wanting to turn a profit right now?
Backloading technically makes the contract cheaper over the course of the contract, since money today is worth more than future dollars. If they save money today they can invest the difference and use the earnings to pay back the future contract value or something like that.

Also, it's probably a nice feeling for the players to get a raise every year.

I don't think the real money differences are going to have a big impact on signing guys like Pietrangelo later.

oPlaiD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:58 AM
Northbad

Super solid signing.

Northbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Pay Carl
don't lose touch

very good deal

Pay Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:02 AM
Cephalusc

Good deal for St. Louis, he definitely took a discount for the team.

Cephalusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:04 AM
Joe Sakic
Goodbye ROR

Awesome deal for the Blues.

Joe Sakic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:41 AM
Halak Ness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by oPlaiD View Post
Backloading technically makes the contract cheaper over the course of the contract, since money today is worth more than future dollars. If they save money today they can invest the difference and use the earnings to pay back the future contract value or something like that.

Also, it's probably a nice feeling for the players to get a raise every year.

I don't think the real money differences are going to have a big impact on signing guys like Pietrangelo later.
I understand that concept but with interest rates on securities such as Treasury notes where they are, is it worth it? 2 year notes are yielding 0.22%. That's a total of $4.40 of interest earned on a $1000 note.

Oshie will be making about an extra 1.15 million in his 3rd year. You'd have to invest an awful lot in Treasury notes to make up the difference even with inflation.

Sure you'd be getting a little extra cash by investing what you hold onto today but perhaps some payroll flexibility in 2-3 years would be a little better.

Perhaps Stillman could do better by getting into equities but there's a lot more risk there and the markets have risen enough in the past two years that you have to wonder when it could collapse again given the shaky ground that it sits on.

God I feel rusty when it comes to all this. I majored in finance in college but I haven't used a lot of what I learned since.

Halak Ness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:49 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

fantastic deal for the blues!!!

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
The funniest part about this is there is some dude over on the blues forum on stltoday that is ranting and raving about what a horrible deal this is. Kept rambling on about how oshie was a third liner and that on just about every other team he couldn't crack the top 6, and that the only reason he is in our top six is because the girls like to look at him. Dude needs his head checked.
I went over and had a look for myself, reminded me of why i never post there. I don't see how anyone can say this is a bad signing if they have been watching Oshie play. I thought he must be looking at just points but when you compare other 54is pt players they have close to the same contract if not higher.

Last edited by Oshie97: 07-20-2012 at 04:26 AM.
Oshie97 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:19 AM
RomanianLeafs

great deal for the blues

RomanianLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:28 AM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

A lot of coin for a 25 year old who has scored 50 points once.. Not saying it's an overpayment but it's far from a steal... Now Girouxs extension, that is a steal.

La Cosa Nostra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:30 AM
Frank Garrett

The man who will one day destroy Rick Nash.

Frank Garrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:56 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memento View Post
Doug Armstrong strikes again with another brilliant deal. Now all we need to do is sign Pietrangelo to a long-term deal.
And Shattenkirk as well

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:06 AM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
If Berglund and Perron breaks out to the potential they have and Tarasenko coming in soon... watch out west.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:45 AM
CCBC

Rumour has it the Blues were going to go one year through arbitration with the Blues in the low 3's with Oshie near 4. 3.3 is basically what arbitration would have awarded Oshie, 4's more than fair for last RFA year, and 4.5 annually for three years of UFA is very nice too, especially for a player who'll likely be putting up 60 points annually at that stage (54 last year).

CCBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

The Blues still need to make another acquisition. Even if you assume all 4.646M in ELC/35+ bonuses are reached and don't get credited back, they're 500K below the cap, and that's with Schwartz as the 14th and Porter in Peoria.

Examples of things that would get the job done:
– D'Agostini (1.65M) + 3d for Morrow (4.1M)
– Stewart (3M) + Rattie + 1st for Yandle (5.25M)
– sign Colaiacovo, though this would make us throw up in our mouths.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:11 AM
Four Boilermakers
Sea Bass said that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halak Ness Monster View Post
I understand that concept but with interest rates on securities such as Treasury notes where they are, is it worth it? 2 year notes are yielding 0.22%. That's a total of $4.40 of interest earned on a $1000 note.

Oshie will be making about an extra 1.15 million in his 3rd year. You'd have to invest an awful lot in Treasury notes to make up the difference even with inflation.

Sure you'd be getting a little extra cash by investing what you hold onto today but perhaps some payroll flexibility in 2-3 years would be a little better.

Perhaps Stillman could do better by getting into equities but there's a lot more risk there and the markets have risen enough in the past two years that you have to wonder when it could collapse again given the shaky ground that it sits on.

God I feel rusty when it comes to all this. I majored in finance in college but I haven't used a lot of what I learned since.
Oshie and most other athletes should have a financial advisor. And I doubt any financial advisor would recommend investing hundreds of thousands or even millions of dollars in treasury notes. The money will be invested in mutual funds and higher risk securities, most likely. Of course there is a chance of more economic trouble, but that's precisely why those things offer higher returns. If you have enough money as a cushion, as most people earning $5M per year do, you can afford to take on more risk in return for higher payouts.

Four Boilermakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM
BrawlFan

Great signing for the Blues. Eventually I think they will want to ship out some of these 50-60pt players and acquire a premiere talent up front. But they got a solid core of young top 6 players and a good pairing on D.

Good prospects as well! Again the only downfall is tying up too much money in 50-60 pt players and not going for a gamebreaker. Tarasenko hasnt played a game yet so plz refrain from calling him one.

Saying that tho I would have loved the SENS to offersheet him!

BrawlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:20 AM
DG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCBC View Post
Rumour has it the Blues were going to go one year through arbitration with the Blues in the low 3's with Oshie near 4. 3.3 is basically what arbitration would have awarded Oshie, 4's more than fair for last RFA year, and 4.5 annually for three years of UFA is very nice too, especially for a player who'll likely be putting up 60 points annually at that stage (54 last year).
Not sure where you got this from... have you seen what people have been signing for? David Jones says hello (and yes I know he was a UFA - it just doesn't make that much of a difference anymore).

You're right that 4 is fair though.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Red08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
A lot of coin for a 25 year old who has scored 50 points once.. Not saying it's an overpayment but it's far from a steal... Now Girouxs extension, that is a steal.
I would call it a steal either, but points aren't everything. As others have stated, Oshie is extremely good defensively. Him and Backes alone create one of the best shut down lines in the league that can still put up some points.

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:28 AM
UgotOSHIED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue247 View Post
The funniest part about this is there is some dude over on the blues forum on stltoday that is ranting and raving about what a horrible deal this is. Kept rambling on about how oshie was a third liner and that on just about every other team he couldn't crack the top 6, and that the only reason he is in our top six is because the girls like to look at him. Dude needs his head checked.
Russian Revival?

Yea, dude has a screw loose. I read that forum every day but I've been long perma-banned. They seriously have a 0-tolerance, 0-warning policy over there. Great way to keep the (few) loyal posters around (my post count was close to 1,000).

UgotOSHIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:42 AM
Vladys Gumption
Trap City

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgotOSHIED View Post
Russian Revival?

Yea, dude has a screw loose. I read that forum every day but I've been long perma-banned. They seriously have a 0-tolerance, 0-warning policy over there. Great way to keep the (few) loyal posters around (my post count was close to 1,000).
Yea I just quit reading because the guy kept getting pissy with people calling him crazy. Plus I got banned over there for literally no reason. Had like five posts. After that I said bye

Vladys Gumption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 728
I looked up "model organization" in the encyclopedia, and this is all it had:

I see them at the beginning of an extended run of excellence.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote