HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

People need to start changing the way they look at contracts.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:09 AM
MarleauApologist
fun must be alwalys

vCash: 500
People need to start changing the way they look at contracts.

Just to be clear, this thread applies to non-budget teams; it does not apply to teams like Nashville or Columbus (Not insulting these teams; just two off the top of my head. The sharks also kind of budget but lately the owners have been spending up), but people still consider 7 million dollar contracts to be more than they considered 5 million dollar contracts when the cap was 5 million. I think a much more accurate way would be the percentage of the current cap hit to judge the proper value and how "good" or "bad" the contract is. Giving Alexander Syomin $6 million per year over two years is not that bad as it may have been 3 years ago. Now, the main issue with this, is that we can't judge what the cap will be in 5 years, so, when we see Weber's contract, it's not something we can judge; sure, it takes him to age 41, but will he be worth $7.8 million, or whatever it was, at his age of 41? What will 7.8 million be worth in 14 years? I feel that people look at contracts as far too black and white; we will not know whether the contract was good or not until 14 years from now, as until then, Weber's play will be changing back and forth. Yeah, we can make guesses, and obviously when we see something like Wolski for $600K, we know that is a good deal.

TLDR, contracts are not that easy to judge as they are made out to be, and people should be looking at percentage of cap hit, rather than the actual number, since about 70% of teams spend of up to the cap; the actual number is meaningless.

MarleauApologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:16 AM
weezy2736

The problem with large multi-year contracts is that you never know where the cap will fall year to year. It has always risen since the lockout but that could very well change moving forward.

I feel like you are starting to tread into unchartable territory guessing on contracts like Weber's.

weezy2736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Pyromaniac3

I agree with all the things you have mentioned. Compare the percent of cap hit with respect to salary cap would factor in the annual increase of salary cap.

You do make a point that the cap could be really high in the future. Not sure I really like that. Just a question to fellow fans. Can the cap be fixed to some number for a 3-4 years?

Pyromaniac3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:19 AM
Todds Chiropractory

Definitely. In 14 years a 7.8 million dollar contract could easily be viewed as a middle of the pack contract similar to what we view a 3-4 million contract today. Its all relative and even if their are changes made to the new CBA, looking long term the cap is only going to go up.

Todds Chiropractory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:21 AM
Crede777
Deputized

Last year Columbus was spending a bunch on player salaries.

They are definitely not a low-budget team...

Crede777 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:04 AM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyromaniac3 View Post
I agree with all the things you have mentioned. Compare the percent of cap hit with respect to salary cap would factor in the annual increase of salary cap.

You do make a point that the cap could be really high in the future. Not sure I really like that. Just a question to fellow fans. Can the cap be fixed to some number for a 3-4 years?
I don't think either side (Owners/PA) would be willing to take that gamble.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:06 AM
Machinehead
Hank, pls

Well if you ask HF everyone who signed a contract this year is overpaid. When it's literally every single contract, maybe it's the fans that are wrong, and not the GM's.

Machinehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Sharksfan83

Simple inflation at 2.5% over 14 years, would bring the contract down to $5m todays money

Sharksfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
PaperRockChamp

vCash: 880
I'm not worried about the money part. I just don't want to see every player over 25 sign a 10-15 year contract. If the "Kovalchuk" rule isn't fixed, we're going to see our first 22 year contract in the next few years.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Well if you ask HF everyone who signed a contract this year is overpaid. When it's literally every single contract, maybe it's the fans that are wrong, and not the GM's.
Not really. It's more that GMs need to overpay to get the player signed. Jagr for example went to the team that offered him the most. They need to overpay to get him.

That's how free agency works

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:06 AM
GerbeSonOfGloin

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezy2736 View Post
The problem with large multi-year contracts is that you never know where the cap will fall year to year. It has always risen since the lockout but that could very well change moving forward.

I feel like you are starting to tread into unchartable territory guessing on contracts like Weber's.
I can see that, but I think that the default assumption should be inflation and the erosion of value of dollar figures, because that's the natural trend in any healthy economy. I agree with the OP that a lot of people have developed a reflexive sticker-shock at certain numbers (the $7 million mark, the $5 million mark, etc.) There are many who keep pointing out that the cap has risen, that you have to overpay in UFA, etc. but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

Any free agent with medium-high talent seems to get at least $5 million these days. If you're demanding your GM be active in the summer FA pool, try to get used to these figures, and especially don't be a dick in other fanbases' signing threads when they sign a 2nd liner/2nd pairing dman to what is actually just the current going rate.

GerbeSonOfGloin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:06 AM
Krishna

I made a similar post a few weeks back

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:26 AM
tony d
Honey Nut Cheerios

The money amount doesn't bother me but the contract length does. I really hope that the new CBA limits contracts to a maximum of 5 years.

07-20-2012, 09:38 AM
HockeyGuruPitka

The amount of money doesnt bother me.

1. its cap circumvention to purposely front load a contract knowing the player wont play out the last few years. This in my eyes is cheating.

In my eyes, if the players and owners want these contracts then there needs to be a cap penalty imposed for evey year a player doesnt play of their contract. Their also needs to be a pay penalty for the player.

2. It eliminates competition and raises complacency and entitlement. Players lose their will to win. If a player knows hes going to retire on a contract, where is the urgency to win and prove himself and earn his next contract? Its like going to war, if a man knows hes got a family at home to feed and protect he will fight valiantly for his cause. If hes got nothing to fight for why would he fight?

3. It stagnates the league. If the league wants small market teams to succeed, then they need to eliminate these contracts. These teams who need to draft, and develop a star just to loose them to a destination market is unacceptable. These players are then locked up and taken off the market for the remainder of their career. "Destination" teams are in a possition to lock up and take away all of the star talents.

4. We've only just begun handing out these contracts. Wait until we start feeling the backlash on the backend of these contracts.

Revenue sharing doesnt need to go down it needs to stand put, however the contracts and contract lengths need to be cut down to a maximum of 6 years.

HockeyGuruPitka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:41 AM
Force951

I don't think anyone has an issue with the cap hit of Weber's deal. The issue is the length, 14 years is a hella long time and so much can go wrong. Just look at the Lecavalier and Dipietro contracts.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Revenue sharing doesnt need to go down it needs to stand put ...
If by "stand put" you mean "be massively increased," sure.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:45 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
The money amount doesn't bother me but the contract length does. I really hope that the new CBA limits contracts to a maximum of 5 years.
Why? The owners should be allowed to offer 100 year contracts if they feel like it. What they need to change is the way the cap is measured, or how the dollar amount per year changes. You shouldn't be able to reduce the cap significantly by adding bogus years. Maybe add a clause that contracts up the 40th birthday of a player can only be signed as 35+? Or any contract that brings a player past 35 cannot be removed from the cap.

I think that signing bonuses should count immediately against the cap, so BS like the Weber offer sheet would carry a $13M cap hit in the first 4-5 years.

There are better solutions than just limiting the lenght for no real reason. Why should the Pens be forced to face losing Crosby every 5 years?

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Carl Carlson

Quote:

1. its cap circumvention to purposely front load a contract knowing the player wont play out the last few years. This in my eyes is cheating.

In my eyes, if the players and owners want these contracts then there needs to be a cap penalty imposed for evey year a player doesnt play of their contract. Their also needs to be a pay penalty for the player.

2. It eliminates competition and raises complacency and entitlement. Players lose their will to win. If a player knows hes going to retire on a contract, where is the urgency to win and prove himself and earn his next contract? Its like going to war, if a man knows hes got a family at home to feed and protect he will fight valiantly for his cause. If hes got nothing to fight for why would he fight?

3. It stagnates the league. If the league wants small market teams to succeed, then they need to eliminate these contracts. These teams who need to draft, and develop a star just to loose them to a destination market is unacceptable. These players are then locked up and taken off the market for the remainder of their career. "Destination" teams are in a possition to lock up and take away all of the star talents.

4. We've only just begun handing out these contracts. Wait until we start feeling the backlash on the backend of these contracts.

Revenue sharing doesnt need to go down it needs to stand put, however the contracts and contract lengths need to be cut down to a maximum of 6 years.
That's the most interesting thing to me. A few of the GM's probably know that in 10 years they may not even be with the franchise anymore so why not take the risk and if it doesn't work its someone else's problem down the road.

Carl Carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
SeriousHabs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
I don't think anyone has an issue with the cap hit of Weber's deal. The issue is the length, 14 years is a hella long time and so much can go wrong. Just look at the Lecavalier and Dipietro contracts.
We don't care if it goes wrong. That is the Flyers problem, and we couldn't care less. What sucks is that the deal is really 10 years, with 4 random BS years added for the sole purpose of cheating down the cap.

SeriousHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:21 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks for Cup View Post
TLDR, contracts are not that easy to judge as they are made out to be, and people should be looking at percentage of cap hit, rather than the actual number, since about 70% of teams spend of up to the cap; the actual number is meaningless.
Why should we look at percentage of cap to compare them to older contracts, when older contracts were signed immediately after a period of no salary cap?

In September of 2002, Jose Theodore just came off a Hart & Vezina winning season, re-signed with Montreal for 16.5mil over 3 years.

In November of 2011, Pekka Rinne was in the midst of a Vezina nominating season and extending with Nashville for 49mil over 7 years.

There was no cap and Theodore still made less than Rinne did by a significant margin.

Summer of 2006, Jason Arnott signs with the Nashville Predators a 22.5mil over 5 years contract, this was a guy that scored 76 points the season before and everyone recognized his skills. During a cap of 44mil (aka, 10% hit, which translates to nearly 7mil now).

Summer of 2011, Brad Richards signs with the Rangers for 60mil over 9 years. Signing for more than 10% of the cap.

Point being, just because things have changed over time does not mean you can't rationalize the dollar figures players make without during them into chunks of spending room. Theodore had a better season than Rinne and made less money on a lower term, today he might have been signed to a Quick-like contract. Richards had a better season than Arnott and was younger, but he was signed to around the same percentage of cap hit that Arnott was.

What we as fans need to hope is that the league will slow their roll with the salary cap and start treating the excess revenue as a league-safety net. You can't simply toss all that additional revenue into player salaries and expect the league to maintain a linear growth-rate, we'll begin to lose smaller market teams pretty quickly and inflate contracts again.

As of now, there are appropriate dollar ranges which players will get, not cap ranges. If you're going to overpay someone in free agency, the 4-5mil mark is about right. If you're a step below 1st line or 1st pairing, then the 5-6 is right. If you're a top line or 1st pairing guy, #1 goalie, then you're able to make 6+ per year for awhile.

That's how we should look at contracts, that's what will help prevent overinflation of contracts for now.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:22 AM
Greg Schuler

Quote:

1. its cap circumvention to purposely front load a contract knowing the player wont play out the last few years. This in my eyes is cheating. Well, you actually don't know what a player will do at the end of their career. They may or may not play out the contract, but the worth to the player is the money available to them now, not when they are 40.

In my eyes, if the players and owners want these contracts then there needs to be a cap penalty imposed for evey year a player doesnt play of their contract. Their also needs to be a pay penalty for the player.Try convincing the NHLPA of that pay penalty idea. See how far that goes.

2. It eliminates competition and raises complacency and entitlement. Players lose their will to win. If a player knows hes going to retire on a contract, where is the urgency to win and prove himself and earn his next contract? Its like going to war, if a man knows hes got a family at home to feed and protect he will fight valiantly for his cause. If hes got nothing to fight for why would he fight? You entirely projecting here. You simply have no idea if that is true or not. Is Zetterberg complacent or entitled? For every example you can provide, I can provide a counter-example. How many players over-perform a one-year deal truly? This is what bothers me the most - people assume players get fat, dumb and happy the minute they sign for long-term big money, and that is not always the case. In some cases, Dustin Penner, it was - but that was on a shorter deal, so are you proposing to ban all contracts longer than one year?

3. It stagnates the league. If the league wants small market teams to succeed, then they need to eliminate these contracts. These teams who need to draft, and develop a star just to loose them to a destination market is unacceptable. These players are then locked up and taken off the market for the remainder of their career. "Destination" teams are in a possition to lock up and take away all of the star talents.No they aren't - trades can and do happens. Dan Boyle signed a long term deal and has been traded. Same for Brian Campbell. Players will always seek good teams and organizations. Detroit, in and of itself, is not a preferrable destination, but Mike Illitch made it one for players (until this year, it seems). In fact, it doesn't stagnate the league, since it does require teams look for that balancing contract, either an ELC or shorter veteran deal. Drafting and development are as important now than ever. Free agency is a right, by the way, collectively bargained and upheld, for the players.

4. We've only just begun handing out these contracts. Wait until we start feeling the backlash on the backend of these contracts. In what way? Most of the contracts are cheap by the cash wise and if a player retires, the cap hit goes away. More than likely, teams would stash a player on LITR or simply boot them to the minors or something. What impact, aside from cash outflow, would the backend of the contract have? Cap space is easily recovered if the team wants.

Revenue sharing doesnt need to go down it needs to stand put, however the contracts and contract lengths need to be cut down to a maximum of 6 years.The NHLPA would argue restraint of trade and see how long that would last in the next CBA negotiations. Fehr, in fact, is as opposed to any salary cap as any PA head out there, so he's probably looking for that kind of fight. The NBA has contract limits, and look what their free agency is like - players move every few years and only the true stars actually stay with the team with max contract after max contract.
I don't see anything wrong with contract term or value - it's a negotiation, nothing more. Players want to get paid and owners have to pay them.

Greg Schuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
PlayMakers
Hockey's Future Staff

I agree.

Every year it's the same silly song and dance. "Oh wow, what a terrible contract. Glad my team didn't sign him. I just can't believe the contracts being given out..."

The cap goes up. Contracts go up. It's called inflation.

And that contract you're so "glad" you didn't hand out, now affects every player on your team and will be used as a comparable by agents and arbiters. It's just a matter of time before it comes back around.

07-20-2012, 10:37 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

I think if the new CBA raises UFA age, offer sheets are going to become much more common than they are today. Even middle of the pack players will probably have an OS or two thrown at them.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the salary held in escrow during the regular season is gradually repaid in the playoffs (for the players on playoff teams) so I assume that players still has some financial incentive to go deep into the playoffs.

Quote:

There are those players who feel that they must play their best after going through the motions of getting a long-term, even retirement, contract done, rather than to play their best on a contract year. Those players usually are consistent from season to season.

If you've got an entire league-load of players who know they will retire on a contract, you're back to square one.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Doug19

When you open up your statement by stating this doesn't apply to budget teams and then list a team that spent 60 million last year, the rest of your post kind of just doesn't matter at that point. Also the numbers are still relevant. Owners didn't get rich by wasting money, I can bet that there isn't an owner out there that would be happy paying someone 5 million per year to not perform or even play in the minors.

Doug19 is offline   Reply With Quote