HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 02:03 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 500
Could work if we could send Matt Read down for a game (not sure if he'd have to go through waivers) and just run with 11 forwards until Pronger is off the cap.

EDIT: Nevermind looks like Read would be waiver eligible maybe Schenn then?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Matt Read ($0.900m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($3.500m)
Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m) / Jason Akeson ($0.900m) / Eric Wellwood ($0.580m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Chris Pronger ($4.921m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Shea Weber ($7.857m) /
GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)
BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,878,015; BONUSES: $635,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $1,321,985

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 07-20-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 02:19 AM
dats81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erza Scarlet View Post
Likely result I see is instead of picks, roster players and combination of picks will go the other way. There are other implications like merchandise sales, sponsers, fans etc that Nashville would need to consider if they don't retain Weber.
I think this is what will happen.
They will call Homer to tell him they will match unless he sends a couple of players the other way to make up for the loss. In the end it turns out they couldn't have paid Weber anyway.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:20 AM
TheSkatingDutchman

I am not proud of myself.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:39 AM
KeslerKrony

Canucks fan coming in peace. I was just thinking about if we were in this scenario, how would the scouting staff feel? Our scouts suck but your scouts have picked up some gems in the late rounds. Either way, I like the move by your HO as it eliminates any competition from other eastern NHL teams like Pitt/NY/etc who were pushing for him.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:12 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
Have to include prongers hit until after first game is played
That's wrong. We never had enough space to fit Hatcher and Rathje under the upper limit and still put them on LTIR, Pronger will be put on LTIR the first day of the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Nashville is still 13 million under the cap floor. even if they match they have a ways to go to get to the floor.
they are a budget team tho who will likely only spend to that floor regardless what they do with Weber.
Maybe they give 10 million per to Semin instead
It's more difficult than that. If they match, they have to spend the $13MM to reach the floor plus the difference between Weber's caphit and actual salary, roughly $6MM. If their budget is the salary floor, they have to exceed it by $6MM.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:55 AM
healthyscratch

Dreger was just on 610, nothing really new, but he believes that Nashville will match and that it won't take til next Wednesday either way.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:59 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Nashville can use full 7 days to decide whether to match Weber's offer sheet, but, I suspect decision has been made.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:14 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
Have to include prongers hit until after first game is played
Even with it it works. Including Pronger's current hit the Flyers have 7,806,000 something dollars in cap space. They are also allowed to go 10% over the cap in the Summer. I saw someone on here say that Weber's contract works out to 7.8 mil per year on average so if correct that takes the team right to the edge of their normal cap space. However, they still have that 10% which until a new CBA is finished is about 7,000,000 dollars which is way more than what is needed to re-sign Voracek.

edit- I'm pretty sure what capgeek shows as the team's current cap space includes Pronger's cap hit as it doesn't indicate anything special about him other than he has a 35+ contract.

edit 2- Assuming the team re-signs Bourdon does he have to be officially waived down to start with the Phantoms or can he just start the season there? If so I guess his contract would count against the cap as well, but the team would still have space.

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 07-20-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 06:47 AM
Lockjaw333

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthyscratch View Post
Dreger was just on 610, nothing really new, but he believes that Nashville will match and that it won't take til next Wednesday either way.

He also said that from what he was told by his agent that its clear Weber wants to play in Philly and wants out of Nashville. That the logical thing for Nashville to do is to match (he said "they have to") because the franchise would hit rock bottom and they wouldnt be able to attract players to come there....but he said the fact that Weber doesn't wanna play there is sort of the sticking point.

He also mentioned the rejecting and trading back the picks for player compensation situation people on here have been discussing, and that its a possibility. But yeah, I got the same impression as you...he thinks Nashville made up their minds to match the minute the offer sheet was signed.

He had some interesting info about what lead up to the offer sheet too. Apparently Homer and Poile were going back and forth trying to put together a trade all day, and Homer just got sick of it and decided to push it. He said likely package was Read + Meszaros + multiple picks, and that wasn't good enough for Nashville. Very interesting stuff, crazy how this went down. Still in the end it seems like its going to be all for naught for us Flyers fans....Nashville will most likely match.

Old
07-20-2012, 06:51 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
Nashville can use full 7 days to decide whether to match Weber's offer sheet, but, I suspect decision has been made.
I think that's confirmation that they'll match. If they couldn't, they'd have dragged this out over the week, trying to raise the funds or to get a better deal. Still, at least he stays in NSH, out of the way

Old
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well if he stays in Nash it would be deflating but at least it will finally put the Weber factor to rest and we can move on.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:09 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKFlyers View Post
I think that's confirmation that they'll match. If they couldn't, they'd have dragged this out over the week, trying to raise the funds or to get a better deal. Still, at least he stays in NSH, out of the way
It would be a bummer for us, and in all honesty a stupid move for Nashville. They won't be able to ice a decent team while giving Weber that kind of money. Instead they could have had 8 first round picks in 4 years and had an insane rebuild.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:19 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
It would be a bummer for us, and in all honesty a stupid move for Nashville. They won't be able to ice a decent team while giving Weber that kind of money. Instead they could have had 8 first round picks in 4 years and had an insane rebuild.
Not to mention, at least 2 or 3 of those 8 picks could be lottery picks. Also, if the CBA fixes the long term contract issue, they wont have to worry about down the road of more "Weber" situations.

Keeping Weber and making it through the first six seasons of upfront money could make it really hard to sign other guys to big offers. And even if the salary cap goes down, they might still have issues. 13 million all upfront each season (27M in first calendar year) will be very hard for a team that can't "print" money. Basically, its an 86% down payment on his contract for four seasons.

Eight 1st round picks with more small-market friendly terms on the CBA isn't a bad deal. And the Preds could end up trading back one of those picks for maybe Mezaros and a forward. That would still be 7 first round picks in 4 years.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Just don't think it's gonna happen, boys. Too much at stake for Nashville. I was stoked yesterday, but the truth is that Nashville simply cannot let him walk. They are either going to lose money and fans by letting him walk, or just lose money by signing him. Wouldn't make sense to let him and the fans leave. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think he's staying put.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Well if he stays in Nash it would be deflating but at least it will finally put the Weber factor to rest and we can move on.
This is exactly how I feel. Getting Weber would fix our #1 problem. Without Weber, I don't know how the Flyers' defense can make us a Cup contender once Kimmo retires.

However, it will be nice knowing that no other team in the league can just sign him in the offseason.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:38 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Just don't think it's gonna happen, boys. Too much at stake for Nashville. I was stoked yesterday, but the truth is that Nashville simply cannot let him walk. They are either going to lose money and fans by letting him walk, or just lose money by signing him. Wouldn't make sense to let him and the fans leave. Hopefully I'm wrong, but I think he's staying put.
They'd be losing more money and putting out a bad product for years to come if they sign him, though. I really think it would be best for them to just cut their losses and move to the future.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:45 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
I don't think it's confirmation of anything. I think it's just Dreger saying 'well it's a yes or no thing, they must know by now.' No insider information there.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
cbenn314

The talking head consensus that Im reading seem to at least imply they think a match is coming.

Hopefully, relations are still good between the teams. Nash cant let Weber walk, and they cant afford to pay him. Hopefully, we can work out a deal still where both sides are OK. If the Read, Mez and picks offer is legit, and not enough...I'm ok sweetening it a little. Not a lot, but some.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:52 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

It's an interesting situation. They were willing to trade him, obviously, because there were talks between teams, yet by throwing the offer sheet, we gave them exactly what they wanted (should they match). There's a fine line between brains and impatience here, but I'm not sure what this qualifies as just yet. We'll see next Thursday.

All that being said, if they were willing to trade him then, maybe they're still willing to trade him now. The only way that Nashville lets him go is if we throw in more. With all this time between now and then, I'm thinking Homer gets too impatient (again) and excited and throws something else at them.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:55 AM
UKFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
I don't think it's confirmation of anything. I think it's just Dreger saying 'well it's a yes or no thing, they must know by now.' No insider information there.
Maybe I misinterpreted his comment. I can't see them coming out and saying that they're not going to match before the week finishes. I thought the tweet suggested that something was imminent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
If Weber's leaves though, the fans will probably think that those draft picks will leave once they're offered big money in Free Agency. They have to show some kind of strength here.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:06 AM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

If Nashville matches, to me that's a lose-lose for them, Shea doesn't want to play there then Nash is going to break the bank for him? Makes no sense to me, essentially you're going to put your franchise in a horrible situation with this gigantic contract that a small market team can't afford, saving face isn't worth putting out a bad product for the next couple season, and if I'm not mistaken Weber said himself he didn't want to be part of a rebuild, BUT I could be wrong it could all work out for the Preds and #6 stays in the West and doesn't hurt us like he would ending up in the East, kudos to Homer for having big balls like AC/DC, that being said Weber is my favorite non-Flyer, he was born to wear Orange and Black, and I would love him to come to Philly

Old
07-20-2012, 08:09 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Is anyone concerned about the cap implications of this move under a new CBA? If there is a smaller cap with salary rollbacks, one of the "features" of this contract is the money in bonuses, which would not be changed. That means the rollback on the cap number will be minimal. Obviously won't happen, but for instance if there were 25% salary rollbacks, the caphit on this contract might only change from 7.86 to 7.11 if my math is correct. Again, that's an extreme, but it could handcuff us, right? Hard to say what will be done since many of the old contracts have to be grandfathered somehow.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:10 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Maybe I misinterpreted his comment. I can't see them coming out and saying that they're not going to match before the week finishes. I thought the tweet suggested that something was imminent.

If Weber's leaves though, the fans will probably think that those draft picks will leave once they're offered big money in Free Agency. They have to show some kind of strength here.
It all depends on the new CBA. If these 1st rounders are more restricted to contract lengths and rules... and have to wait longer for UFA status, those 1st rounders sound much better.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Unstable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I agree. My first reaction was that they'll match and I still think so. And I want them to get on with it already so the faint flicker of hope will be extinguished and I can move on.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:20 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

I just don't understand how they can afford to match it though. Yes, they'll lose money and probably support by letting weber walk, but the fact is that the money they'd need to sign him simply doesn't exist. How the **** would they pull that off? And how could they even justify putting 1/4 of their payroll into a player that doesnt want to play there?

Closed Thread