HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber email campaign

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2012, 08:51 AM
  #26
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short
 
Roman Yoshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Franklin, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,939
vCash: 500
While I won't discourage people from voicing their opinion... would you want to match if Weber does not want to play in Nashville?

I am all for an email campaign to fire Poile but I have a feeling participation will be lower...

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:52 AM
  #27
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,065
vCash: 500
Plus if the owners know that they can not afford him, what's the point?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
  #28
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
As a fan of a different team, I just wanted to say best of luck with this effort. I wrote the following on your behalf to the above email addresses. Hopefully this works out for the best for your franchise and all of you dedicated fans!!


Iíve seen a lot of moving things written and discussed about the Shea Weber offer sheet. As a fan of a different team, even a big market team, I am extremely hopeful that you find the ability within your organization to match this offer and stand up to what can only be described as a bully. I realize that you have internal budget constraints, but surely the increase for the first season or two can be absorbed by moving other assets for guys on entry level contracts.

I think itís obvious that not signing will cost you season ticket holders, fan base, and future revenue, and will set your franchise back several years. Iím not sure that any of these emails will help, but I felt that I needed to let you know that itís not just fans of your organization, but fans of hockey, and league balance in general that are opposed to this. Itís an important decision, and it affects far more than just the wallet of the owner in my opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and best of luck to your organization whatever you decide.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:05 AM
  #29
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
As a fan of a different team, I just wanted to say best of luck with this effort. I wrote the following on your behalf to the above email addresses. Hopefully this works out for the best for your franchise and all of you dedicated fans!!


Iíve seen a lot of moving things written and discussed about the Shea Weber offer sheet. As a fan of a different team, even a big market team, I am extremely hopeful that you find the ability within your organization to match this offer and stand up to what can only be described as a bully. I realize that you have internal budget constraints, but surely the increase for the first season or two can be absorbed by moving other assets for guys on entry level contracts.

I think itís obvious that not signing will cost you season ticket holders, fan base, and future revenue, and will set your franchise back several years. Iím not sure that any of these emails will help, but I felt that I needed to let you know that itís not just fans of your organization, but fans of hockey, and league balance in general that are opposed to this. Itís an important decision, and it affects far more than just the wallet of the owner in my opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to read this and best of luck to your organization whatever you decide.
That was kind of you. Thanks.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:28 AM
  #30
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
I sent a letter into Cogen late last night. Hope my .02 helps.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
  #31
Shea Weber
Registered User
 
Shea Weber's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 608
vCash: 500
Sean Henry also has a twitter for you guys that don't know.

@shenry7

Shea Weber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:40 AM
  #32
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,504
vCash: 500
Sent my email

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:47 AM
  #33
glenngineer
HFB Partner
 
glenngineer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 4,451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustlechuck24 View Post
While I won't discourage people from voicing their opinion... would you want to match if Weber does not want to play in Nashville?

I am all for an email campaign to fire Poile but I have a feeling participation will be lower...
If you go on what Bouquet said, Weber is all about playing in Philly.

If however you read what Epp said, his other agent, Weber is comfortable staying in Nashville as this is his home. Read the fish wrap for the story.

I too was concerned because all I heard was what Bouquet was saying but then when I read what Epp said I wasn't as concerned about Weber wanting to be here or not.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:21 PM
  #34
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
If you go on what Bouquet said, Weber is all about playing in Philly.

If however you read what Epp said, his other agent, Weber is comfortable staying in Nashville as this is his home. Read the fish wrap for the story.

I too was concerned because all I heard was what Bouquet was saying but then when I read what Epp said I wasn't as concerned about Weber wanting to be here or not.
I think people are misreading what Weber's cocky agent is saying. All of what i have heard via interviews is that Weber would not have signed the offer sheet if he did not want to play in Philly. I have not heard one word with facts to back it up that Shea Weber does not want to play in Nashville and only wants to be a flyer. I think Shea is willing to play for either team and his cocky agent is going around pubbing his client to try to get a bigger pay day in philly with endorsements and bigger market. He is trying to make a buck just like Weber.

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
  #35
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,727
vCash: 500
Sent out an email to both, if I happen to get a response will let ya'll know.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
  #36
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I think people are misreading what Weber's cocky agent is saying. All of what i have heard via interviews is that Weber would not have signed the offer sheet if he did not want to play in Philly. I have not heard one word with facts to back it up that Shea Weber does not want to play in Nashville and only wants to be a flyer. I think Shea is willing to play for either team and his cocky agent is going around pubbing his client to try to get a bigger pay day in philly with endorsements and bigger market. He is trying to make a buck just like Weber.
Bousquet did say, on FAN590, that after Suter left, and with no negotiations taking place with Nashville, that they decided to leave Nashville and look at options for his long term future. They travelled to Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, New York and Philadelphia. All those teams tried to either give him an offer sheet or make a deal with the Preds.

Weber spoke to Hartnell and Timonen, and he is close friends and works out all summer with new Flyer Luke Schenn. Weber chose Philly. They told Poile there was an offer sheet coming, and he tried to get Brayden Schenn and Couturier for his rights. Holmgren said, forget this, here's the offer sheet.

Asked point blank if Weber would want to return to Nashville if they matched, Bousquet paused and said, 'he wants to play in Philly. If they match, he'll be a professional and turn up and play. But he feels the Predators are in a rebuilding stage again and he has not interest in playing there through another rebuilding stage. He wants to move on.'

Bousquet also downplayed the ill will caused by last year's arbitration, but it had to hurt to be offered $5M as the best Dman in the game. Why would they do that then, and cry foul now?

In retrospect, this is all on Poile and the owners. They made a big offer to Suter and might have the cash to match the offer sheet this year.. They blew it last year, when they could have locked Weber up first for a few years at least. That may have persuaded Suter to re-up too. They waited too long to cough up, and the players gave up and moved on.

I don't know if the Preds can match, but I can see the Flyers helping to persuade them not to by a side deal for Meszaros and a winger in return for a couple picks back (maybe the firsts, maybe not).

Why would the owners want to pay that much to a player who doesn't want to be there?

Edit - here's a link to the TSN story: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=401032 with excerpts below:

Quote:
"When that happened we saw 13-year deals coming and 14-year deals coming, which Shea was able to sign under the 'Kovalchuk rule,'" Bousquet said. "We all sat down and looked at the different options and thought, you know, if there is a 14-year contract coming down the pipe at some point, we need to be ready for it and we need to know that you want to play there for the next 14 years."

The choice for Weber to look elsewhere is a direct result of what Bousquet believes is a philosophical change in direction from the Predators in the wake of Suter's decision to sign with the Wild.

"When things changed in Nashville and we felt that everything was set back a year or two and it looked to be more of a rebuilding situation," he said. "We thought we'd just take our time. In that time frame – in three or four days – other teams exercised their rights under the CBA to contact us and make some offers."
Quote:
While the money grabbed headlines, the opportunity to play for a perennial competitor was attractive to Weber and his team.

"He'd like to play with the Philadelphia Flyers because we all feel that he's just another piece in the puzzle to take them to the next level," Bousquet said. "He doesn't want to go through a rebuilding process again."

He added that his client wouldn't have signed the offer if he weren't ready to close the book on his career in Nashville.

"I don't think you sign an offer sheet unless you're pointing in that one direction," Bousquet said.
Quote:
Weber's camp, however, knows that a change is coming to the economics of the NHL in the form of a new collective bargaining agreement.

"With the uncertainty of the new CBA, we felt as though when the offer sheet came we felt that it was just too good of a deal to pass on," Bousquet said.


Last edited by Larry44: 07-20-2012 at 12:53 PM.
Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
  #37
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
guys, weber makes more in the first 12 months (when he can't be traded) at $27M than ticket sales in a season at $24M...

Even if there's a lock-out he makes $26...

ninetynine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:52 PM
  #38
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,504
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Flyer fan coming in peace. Bousquet did say, on FAN590, that after Suter left, and with no negotiations taking place with Nashville, that they decided to leave Nashville and look at options for his long term future. They travelled to Vancouver, San Jose, Detroit, New York and Philadelphia. All those teams tried to either give him an offer sheet or make a deal with the Preds.

Weber spoke to Hartnell and Timonen, and he is close friends and works out all summer with new Flyer Luke Schenn. Weber chose Philly. They told Poile there was an offer sheet coming, and he tried to get Brayden Schenn and Couturier for his rights. Holmgren said, forget this, here's the offer sheet.

Asked point blank if Weber would want to return to Nashville if they matched, Bousquet paused and said, 'he wants to play in Philly. If they match, he'll be a professional and turn up and play. But he feels the Predators are in a rebuilding stage again and he has not interest in playing there through another rebuilding stage. He wants to move on.'

Bousquet also downplayed the ill will caused by last year's arbitration, but it had to hurt to be offered $5M as the best Dman in the game. Why would they do that then, and cry foul now?

In retrospect, this is all on Poile and the owners. They made a big offer to Suter and might have the cash to match the offer sheet this year.. They blew it last year, when they could have locked Weber up first for a few years at least. That may have persuaded Suter to re-up too. They waited too long to cough up, and the players gave up and moved on.

I don't know if the Preds can match, but I can see the Flyers helping to persuade them not to by a side deal for Meszaros and a winger in return for a couple picks back (maybe the firsts, maybe not).

Why would the owners want to pay that much to a player who doesn't want to be there?
First of all, can we all just lose the "______ fan coming in peace" nonsense? If you're a fan of another team that's cool, but you don't have to announce you're coming in peace if you truly intend to do so. It really does bother people.

Second, Weber was not offered $5m at arbitration. Arbitration is negotiation. One side offers a low amount (the team), and the other side offers a high amount (the player/agent). The goal is to have them meet somewhere in the middle, but closer to your side than their side. A 3 year, $7m contract was turned down by Poile, but it was due to the short term. Poile wanted a longer term. Weber wanted to see what was going to happen with the team and the CBA. Poile actually offered him something closer to what Rinne got, which was viewed as a much more valuable deal before the Suter contract than it is after.

I do agree that the management and ownership has blown it. I'm not sure if it is because they simply don't know what they are doing w/r/t negotiating contracts with star players, or because they simply don't have the money (could be the case with the Weber OS) but they have definitely bungled this for one reason or another.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
  #39
jskramer83
Registered User
 
jskramer83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
Should post this on the rangers board, you know we will support this! In fact I am willing to bet most Ranger Fans would even be willing to commit to buying a Weber jersey if Nashville signs him

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
  #40
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
First of all, can we all just lose the "______ fan coming in peace" nonsense? If you're a fan of another team that's cool, but you don't have to announce you're coming in peace if you truly intend to do so. It really does bother people.

Second, Weber was not offered $5m at arbitration. Arbitration is negotiation. One side offers a low amount (the team), and the other side offers a high amount (the player/agent). The goal is to have them meet somewhere in the middle, but closer to your side than their side. A 3 year, $7m contract was turned down by Poile, but it was due to the short term. Poile wanted a longer term. Weber wanted to see what was going to happen with the team and the CBA. Poile actually offered him something closer to what Rinne got, which was viewed as a much more valuable deal before the Suter contract than it is after.

I do agree that the management and ownership has blown it. I'm not sure if it is because they simply don't know what they are doing w/r/t negotiating contracts with star players, or because they simply don't have the money (could be the case with the Weber OS) but they have definitely bungled this for one reason or another.
Fair point, sorry, I don't post on other boards often, offensive intro deleted.

Re: arbitration, whether is was an offer or a negotiation, to try to lowball was just dumb, and it's biting them in the backside now. Maybe Poile did want a longer term, but instead of 3 years, now he's stuck with 14 or nothing.

When they signed Rinne, and Poile said he had the same kind of money/term for Suter and Weber, I hoped they would all sign and stay there.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
  #41
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 6,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Fair point, sorry, I don't post on other boards often, offensive intro deleted.

Re: arbitration, whether is was an offer or a negotiation, to try to lowball was just dumb, and it's biting them in the backside now. Maybe Poile did want a longer term, but instead of 3 years, now he's stuck with 14 or nothing.

When they signed Rinne, and Poile said he had the same kind of money/term for Suter and Weber, I hoped they would all sign and stay there.
If the team's arbitration position "was just dumb" then the same applies for the player's exorbitant position. Extreme offers are part of arbitration with the knowledge that the final result is somewhere between the two.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
  #42
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,504
vCash: 500
I doubt he was going to offer anything close to 14 years, but you're right. Now it's that or four low 1st round picks that won't help the team anytime soon unless they are traded. And therein lies the problem with David Poile. He is great at building a competitive team on a budget, but he is entirely too frugal when it comes to contracts. It could be out of necessity. It could just be his personality. In today's NHL, superstars are looking for extremely long contracts. Hell, even players who aren't superstars are looking for extremely long contracts. His unwillingness to offer such a long deal is what hurt him in the end. Now it's time to either suck it up and match, or continue down the same path.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:04 PM
  #43
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,504
vCash: 500
We should probably steer this one back on topic now. My mistake

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
  #44
Larry44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If the team's arbitration position "was just dumb" then the same applies for the player's exorbitant position. Extreme offers are part of arbitration with the knowledge that the final result is somewhere between the two.
I don't know what Weber's counter number was, but $5M for one of the best Dmen in the game is an insult, even in the arbitration 'game'.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:05 PM
  #45
poneill27
Registered User
 
poneill27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Casterly Rock
Country: United States
Posts: 897
vCash: 500
Good luck with your email campaign. I hope however this plays out you guys don't stop supporting your team for losing a player. No matter who the Flyers lost or how many rebuilds we had to go thru or another 40 years of no SC parade down Broad street I'll never stop supporting my team and you guys shouldn't either!

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:21 PM
  #46
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Plus if the owners know that they can not afford him, what's the point?
Well if enough people do vote with their wallets they would lose far more money. Sports is about appreciation most of the time anyway. Nashville will plummet in value.

Most owners make money like this. By the team at 100 million, sell the team for 200 million. Lose some money while operating


Last edited by WantonAbandon: 07-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:25 PM
  #47
WantonAbandon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 5,385
vCash: 500
To address what Webers agent said. Federov comes to mind. He signed an offersheet and Federov himself said he didn't want to play for Detriot anymore. And the contract had a brutal poison pill specifically made for Detriot. And yet Detriot re-signed him and I beleive won the cup.

It didn't effect Federovs play at all for the rest of his time there.


Last edited by WantonAbandon: 07-20-2012 at 04:30 PM.
WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:33 PM
  #48
TheStroker
Registered User
 
TheStroker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Country: Norway
Posts: 877
vCash: 986
Sent my email.

TheStroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
  #49
NoNecksCurse
Registered User
 
NoNecksCurse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 5,681
vCash: 500
anyone get responses? id love to see them if wouldn't mind. especially yours TMI. yours was great.

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:54 PM
  #50
TMI
Mod Supervisor
 
TMI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 46,504
vCash: 500
I did get a response from Sean Henry.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time to write, and of course for the support for so many years. Your efforts during the summer of '07 and that spirit truly helped to save the team. We truly appreciate your passion and work.

I would like to elaborate beyond our official statement (pasted below), but it is imperative that we speak with one voice as an organization right now. I hope you understand why this is in the team's best interest.
Then he pasted the statement, and followed up with:

Quote:
Once that window is over I look forward to talking to you and running into you at games for years to come.

Again thanks for taking the time to send me the note.

Sean
So essentially the same thing he sent to AEM with a different opening paragraph.

Nothing from Cogen yet. Don't expect anything before Monday if I get anything at all.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.