HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Sam Gagner (1yr/$3.2M)

Old
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
You must have forgotten that he was a 3rd line winger to start last year. Fact is he hasn't consistently had good linemates since London. Cogs and Nilsson? Are you kidding me? OR how about Penner and Cogs LOL.

He's gonna be between Hemsky and Hall or Yakupov and Hall or Hall and Eberle or etc etc etc.

If he plays 80+ games and doesn't score 60 points I'll be absolutely floored.
I'll be floored if he plays 80+ games.

joestevens29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:08 AM
CupofOil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
In that case say hi to your new second line centre:

Well, signing Gagner for a year and not trading him now gives Tambellini a year to address that or for one of the prospects in the system to maybe overachieve and take that spot. Maybe Gagner gets involved in a package deal for a better center especially if he has a good season and increases his value.
This signing of a year bides Tambellini some time to fill that need eventually.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:09 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
In that case say hi to your new second line centre:

Yeah, that's a good point. I don't think that gagner's a fit here but the Oilers gotta have a replacement for him when he gets traded.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Well, signing Gagner for a year and not trading him now gives Tambellini a year to address that or for one of the prospects in the system to maybe overachieve and take that spot.Maybe Gagner gets involved in a package deal for a better center especially if he has a good season and increases his value.
yes, let's hope he emerges as a legit 2C so we can trade him and get a legit 2C.

Quote:
This signing of a year bides Tambellini some time to fill that need eventually.
My point is, if Gagner takes a step forward, then 2C isn't really a "need" is it?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Gotta admit Tambo is batting
1.000 right now, other than the ever-elusive d-man and huge 2C additions

dustrock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:19 AM
Calgary Oilers

vCash: 50
They should have signed him to a 4 or 5 yr deal like Perron or Oshie. This will cost the team more in the long run (unless they don't have him as part of the long term plan).

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:21 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Good, no long term commitment and it takes him back to RFA after the one year.
I don't think that now is a good time to trade him anyway since his numbers and value should spike up a bit this season with even more talent surrounding him.
If he can't surpass the 50 pt plateau this season (if there is a season) then there truly is no hope for him.
I think it's a win for both the Oilers and Gagner.
i'm pretty happy with it.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:25 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Katz will match anything on the kids, mark it down.
Katz is the new Ballard. He'll decide everything on profit. I don't think Katz would care what crap is on the ice if he makes money on it.
he'd take the picks and continue to sell deluded fans on a crappy team with an good future.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:33 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Oilers View Post
They should have signed him to a 4 or 5 yr deal like Perron or Oshie. This will cost the team more in the long run (unless they don't have him as part of the long term plan).
I think Perron and Oshie are viewed as apart of their respective teams' cores. Gagner is a nice complementary player for us, but our forward core is RNH, Eberle, Hall & Yak. This is a perfect deal for us IMO. With both Eberle & Hall needing contracts next year, we address them first, and then see what's left over for our complimentary players. If that means Gagner is re-signed great, if not, not the end of the world.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:35 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Katz is the new Ballard. He'll decide everything on profit. I don't think Katz would care what crap is on the ice if he makes money on it.
he'd take the picks and continue to sell deluded fans on a crappy team with an good future.
I really don't think this is the case.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Gotta admit Tambo is batting
1.000 right now, other than the ever-elusive d-man and huge 2C additions
and the 3.5 million a year DD is getting. (In my opinion that's a stupid contract)

Old
07-20-2012, 09:42 AM
oil slick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
and the 3.5 million a year DD is getting. (In my opinion that's a stupid contract)
Shouldn't Katz have just brought Bunz in and saved himself 3 million? Or does his cheapness only extend to forwards?

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:43 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
yes, let's hope he emerges as a legit 2C so we can trade him and get a legit 2C.

Gagner will never fit on this team long term because even if he gets 60+ pts, he doesn't excel at any other aspect of his game and he will likely always get owned against bigger, stronger centers. The team will never compete for anything meaningful with 2 smallish, offensive minded centers in their top 6.
It will never work if the team ever makes the playoffs and the idea is to build a cup contender one day, isn't it?

Old
07-20-2012, 09:50 AM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
Gagner will never fit on this team long term because even if he gets 60+ pts, he doesn't excel at any other aspect of his game and he will likely always get owned against bigger, stronger centers. The team will never compete for anything meaningful with 2 smallish, offensive minded centers in their top 6.
It will never work if the team ever makes the playoffs and the idea is to build a cup contender one day, isn't it?
Ah, the old "magic formula" argument. Or do you simply think we need the perfect player in every position?

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Gagner will never fit on this team long term because even if he gets 60+ pts, he doesn't excel at any other aspect of his game.
I don't think one gets 60 points in this league if you don't excel at any other aspect of the game. A 60 point season, BTW, would place Gagner in the top 20 or so in scoring among centres: not exactly chicken feed.

Quote:
The team will never compete for anything meaningful with 2 smallish, offensive minded centers in their top 6.
Why not, exactly?

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Why did we draft a small center anyway?
His Knights pts with Kane/Kost?
It's like the worst position to draft a small player.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Shouldn't Katz have just brought Bunz in and saved himself 3 million? Or does his cheapness only extend to forwards?
Throw a 19 year old goalie to the wolves?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:54 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Good term for Oilers and $$ for Gagner. This year he has to prove his worth for sure.

Here's a "what if" though:

What if they try Hall at C?
What if Hall exeeds expectations at C?
What if Hall turns out to be a much better centerman than Gagner is?

If the above happens this year, as Hall has been at times speculated to try the center position, it may not put Gags in as good of a position for both a trade or for a new contract.

If Hall isn't tried at center this year, there are is a whole other range of good that can happen for Gagner.

This is his big test.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:55 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Good, no long term commitment and it takes him back to RFA after the one year.
I don't think that now is a good time to trade him anyway since his numbers and value should spike up a bit this season with even more talent surrounding him.
If he can't surpass the 50 pt plateau this season (if there is a season) then there truly is no hope for him.
I've been a Gagner defender for a long time, but I kind of agree with you here. He's getting to the point where he needs to break out and develop some consistency.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUAIOMRN View Post
Ah, the old "magic formula" argument. Or do you simply think we need the perfect player in every position?
It's called common sense. Strength down the middle is almost mandatory in the NHL and that is perhaps the Oilers biggest weakness and likely always will be until the little guy is dealt. Is Gagner all of a sudden going to morph into a strong 2 way center who will line up against the tough matchups and succeed? I would say that is highly unlikely.
If the Oilers had somebody like Getzlaf at center then Gagner would be a fit but on a team filled with top 6 skill and little grit, changes will have to be made if the team is to take the next step.

Quote:
I don't think one gets 60 points in this league if you don't excel at any other aspect of the game. A 60 point season, BTW, would place Gagner in the top 20 or so in scoring among centres: not exactly chicken feed.
It's not about points, it's about his weakness in other areas. Gagner gets schooled against tougher competition and he is a 5 year veteran now. Outside of his out of this world hot streak, he plays well against teams like Columbus and Colorado who aren't big, strong teams and struggles against most other teams. His offense which is supposed to be a strength is wildly inconsistent and this is with very skilled players surrounding and him getting plenty of PP time.

If the Oilers had a center like Getzlaf to shelter him, i could see a place for him long term but that's simply not the case. It's just a matter of him being a bad fit for this particular team.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Pennertration

I like it. No reason to give him a long-term deal at this point of his career. Puts us in a decent position to trade him or sign him again (even if he does breakout, which is far from guaranteed).

Pennertration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:57 AM
Calgary Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
Why did we draft a small center anyway?
His Knights pts with Kane/Kost?
It's like the worst position to draft a small player.
You do know that he has produced the 2nd most NHL points out of ALL the 2007 draft, right?

Calgary Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:57 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Good term for Oilers and $$ for Gagner. This year he has to prove his worth for sure.

Here's a "what if" though:

What if they try Hall at C?
What if Hall exeeds expectations at C?
What if Hall turns out to be a much better centerman than Gagner is?

If the above happens this year, as Hall has been at times speculated to try the center position, it may not put Gags in as good of a position for both a trade or for a new contract.

If Hall isn't tried at center this year, there are is a whole other range of good that can happen for Gagner.

This is his big test.
I don't think that Hall will be used at center this year unless our other centers crap the bed. He has said he's open to playing center, but that he would really want to know over the summer going into the season so he can properly prepare. With his shoulder surgery, I don't think that he would have adequate preparation time at all.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:59 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oil slick View Post
Bunz is a solid prospect, but he isn't close to NHL ready. We won't see him in the NHL for at least two more years. He won't even be in the AHL this year, and rightfully so. Not many goalies can be effective at a young age in the NHL. I am a huge Bunz fan, but he's no Carey Price or Cam Ward, he needs some development time.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:01 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
It's not that bad. Dubnyk played very well in the last half of the season and earned a raise. I was expecting 2.5 - 3.0 for him, at worst its 1 million overpayed, with the potential to be a steal of a contract if Dubnyk keeps developing.