HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

The Shea Weber Reverse 14/280 Season Ticket Plan

Old
07-20-2012, 10:17 AM
ILikeItILoveIt

vCash: 500
The Shea Weber Reverse 14/280 Season Ticket Plan

Predator’s Front Office announces a new season ticket plan designed to keep Shea Weber in Nashville. It’s called the “Reverse 14/280 Plan”. Patterned after the wildly successful 2/20 plan of recent years where fans committed to season tickets for 2 years paid out over 20 monthly installments at a static price, the New Reverse 14/280 Plan takes the same concept but reverses the terms to coincide with Shea’s new contract terms. Here’s how it works:

Because you love the Preds and want to ensure we’re a Cup Contender for the short and long term, we freeze your season ticket price and you commit for the next 14 years. That’s right, 14 years thru 2026. In return for your commitment, we’ll take the total cost of your seat over the entire 14 years and front load the payment plan. You’ll pay half the total cost of the 14/280 plan in the first 4 years! That’s right, Pred fans, no more having those payments hanging over your head. 50% of your total payment will be paid off in just the first 4 years.

But wait, there’s more. You’ll pay another 44% of the total cost in years 5 thru 10 of your commitment period. You heard correctly, we’re giving you the opportunity to pay 50% over the first 4 years + 44% over the next 6 years, so that you only need to pay 6% of the total cost over the last 4 years of the 14 year commitment period.

Here’s an example:

Annual ticket price: $50
Annual cost: $2,050
14 year cost: $28,700

Payment Plan:
Year 1 thru 4 - $3,650 per year
Year 5 thru 6 - $3,150 per year
Year 7 thru 10 - $1,560 per year
Year 11 - $ 780 per year
Year 12 thru 14 - $ 260 per year

As an added feature, instead of breaking up your payments each year into monthly payments, we rid you of those multiple transactions and have you pay for the entire upcoming year each Sept 1st. No more monthly drain from your checking account. We rip the band-aid off just once each year prior to the season. You watch hockey all year without having to make monthly payments throughout the season.

The Predator franchise is committing to you, the fan, for 14 years, and vice versa. To highlight that commitment, unlike your current 2/20 plan, the 14/280 plan is binding. There are no outs. We vow to stay in Nashville for the next 14 years and ice a competitive team, and you vow to make your payments on schedule for 14 years.

Look at those low rates beginning in Year 7! This is a deal you can’t afford to turn down. Go to nashvillepredators.com or call 615-770-PUCK or contact your ticket agent. This deal is offered for a limited time only. Don’t miss your chance to contribute toward keeping Captain Shea Weber in Nashville for life!!!!

Now I present this tongue-in-check, but to put in perspective what the Pred Front Office is faced with, this ticket plan brings it home in terms a season ticket holder can relate to. On paper, if you plan to be a season ticket holder for the next 14 years, this isn’t a bad deal. It holds your seat at 2012 prices for 14 years. At the end of the 14 years, you’d have paid less than buying year-to-year. Assuming a 2% price increase per year, that same seat will cost $65 in 2026. After surviving the financial pain thru Year 6, your annual payments after that are well below what you’re paying now. So, Great Deal, right???

Well, not so much. You see, you’re not only paying $1,600 more per year for the first 4 years, but you’re paying up front. That means you have to find the cash. In our example above, from Sept. 1st , 2012 to Sept 1st , 2013, a 12 month period, you will pay $7,300 for your seat. Under the current plan for the same time period, you’re paying $2,050. That’s $5,250 you have to find to make this work. Take that over the 3 year period from Sept 1st, 2012 thru Sept 1st, 2015 and you’re paying $14,600, as opposed to $6,150 under y0ur current plan. That’s $8,450 more you need to find under your sofa cushions.

Philly put themselves on an insidious financial power play, and it’s a 5-on-3 for 5 minutes. Even though we’ve committed publicly to matching any offer and even being a Cap Team, this is about cash flow and pushing all the poker chips into Center Ice and Philly saying, “show us what you got” to Pred Owners. Before we immediately blame management for even hesitating to match, consider what you would do if management came to you with this plan and said, “Either take it, or we lose Shea Weber and receive 4 #1 picks over the next 4 years”. Do you have enough cash to pay the front loaded price? I’d bet many of you would say no. That’s what Philly is betting. This structure was specifically designed to push Pred Ownership to the brink of financial risk.

Phone lines are waiting. Call now and sign up for 14/280!!!!!!!!

ILikeItILoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:29 AM
RaiderDoug

The problem with your scenario is that the prospective ticket buyer has an option - he can simply not go to games.

The owners don't have that option - they have to ice a hockey team, and I assume that they want to ice a team that is capable of winning (although I could be completely wrong on that account)

This is the cost of doing business. This is what elite player's contracts will look like. There are no cheap Crosbys, there are no cap friendly Webers, no discounted Ovechkins out there. If you want one, then you pay up.

Maybe your GM creates an atmosphere where you give a player a reason to put the team above themselves, but that's few and far between, and Poile has definately not done that here - from the lack of moves to the lowball offers to the miscues to the flat out weak performance of the on ice product (if anyone is going to respond to this by saying something about how at least we're better than Columbus, please don't - my bar is set a little bit higher).

The better scenario might be:

You must buy hockey season tickets. Your choices are:

1. You can pay this price and watch an elite cup contending team in the top league in the world from great seats.

or

2. Or you can pay the same amount, but in a wallet friendly manner and watch a loser from the nosebleeds

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
predfan98

actually it's a way to realistically show that this is not a simple issue.

it is not just an issue of the owners saying they will spend to the cap.

this is only the cost of doing business this summer. there are many indications that this will change under the new cba. as webers agent said, july 4th re set everything!!!!

this isn't what elite players contracts will look like next year.

the only fault I have with the scenario, is that there is no "tongue in cheek" option for the lockout, or if shea weber is hurt and we are still on the hook for that $13 million..

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
actually it's a way to realistically show that this is not a simple issue.

it is not just an issue of the owners saying they will spend to the cap.

this is only the cost of doing business this summer. there are many indications that this will change under the new cba. as webers agent said, july 4th re set everything!!!!

this isn't what elite players contracts will look like next year.

the only fault I have with the scenario, is that there is no "tongue in cheek" option for the lockout, or if shea weber is hurt and we are still on the hook for that $13 million..
You don't know that.

Odds are slim and non that the owners get everything they want.

At some point, the Preds owners will have to pony up a deal that is comparable to what the Rangers/Flyers/Leafs/Etc will be doing.

They've yet to show that they're willing to do this. This is why our players are leaving in droves as soon as they possibly can.

The whole "we'll sign 'em next time" just doesn't fly with me. It might be 15 years or more before we end up growing another player of Weber's caliber.

If the owners are unable or unwilling to do deals that other teams can do, then it's probably time to get out of the game and give it to someone who can. If that means the team is in Quebec, I'm actually OK with that (I preface this by saying I don't live in Nashville anymore and I only get to about 6-10 games a year). Some fans might be perfectly happy watching the Montreal Expos of the NHL. I don't know if I am.

You're paying NHL prices for what's an AHL team.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:36 AM
lstcyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

Oh, darn, did we lose Rinne, Erat, Hornqvist, Fisher, Gill and Legwand too?

Even without Weber and Suter, we're much better than an AHL team.

lstcyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:29 PM
predfan98

Quote:
You don't know that.

Odds are slim and non that the owners get everything they want.

At some point, the Preds owners will have to pony up a deal that is comparable to what the Rangers/Flyers/Leafs/Etc will be doing.

They've yet to show that they're willing to do this. This is why our players are leaving in droves as soon as they possibly can.

The whole "we'll sign 'em next time" just doesn't fly with me. It might be 15 years or more before we end up growing another player of Weber's caliber.

If the owners are unable or unwilling to do deals that other teams can do, then it's probably time to get out of the game and give it to someone who can. If that means the team is in Quebec, I'm actually OK with that (I preface this by saying I don't live in Nashville anymore and I only get to about 6-10 games a year). Some fans might be perfectly happy watching the Montreal Expos of the NHL. I don't know if I am.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstcyr View Post
Oh, darn, did we lose Rinne, Erat, Hornqvist, Fisher, Gill and Legwand too?

Even without Weber and Suter, we're much better than an AHL team.
We'll have about as much a shot at a Cup as the Milwaukee Admirals.

Wait - doesn't Hornqvist's deal end soon?

Uh oh, Rangers might bid. Better trade him for picks, wouldn't want him to get too expensive.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
I don't actually want them to move to Quebec.

But why should I invest my time/emotion/$$$'s on a team that clearly doesn't give a flip about competing at the highest levels of the NHL?

For all the games I'll be going to next year, they might as well be in Quebec. Or Siberia.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Firestorm

Quote:
I don't actually want them to move to Quebec.

But why should I invest my time/emotion/$$$'s on a team that clearly doesn't give a flip about competing at the highest levels of the NHL?

For all the games I'll be going to next year, they might as well be in Quebec. Or Siberia.
Couldn't you apply that logic to many fans of the teams in the NHL (at least the non playoff ones)?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Couldn't you apply that logic to many fans of the teams in the NHL (at least the non playoff ones)?
Actually, I don't know what team I could compare this to in hockey. Baseball has a couple of parallels - the Expos were a perfect match for us.

Even the non-playoffs ones generally give reason for hope.

Edmonton has a young core of fantastic looking prospects. Florida isn't afraid to shop the FA market - you could say they had to, but we have to get to the floor and still haven't spent much. Tampa locked up a couple of stars. Toronto/Montreal aren't making the playoffs, but it's not for lack of trying. Same with Anaheim, Dallas, etc.

You can't even say, "hey, the Preds will rebuild, everyone goes through it" because precedent has shown that as soon as the young stars get too expensive, the Preds don't bring them back, for one reason or another. There's no confidence that the owners will actually build a team.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:00 PM
JamestheSame

This Weber deal is a tough decision to make for the front office. I'm sure they know the implications of matching the Philly offer and what that could mean towards the team.

However, teams can survive losing a top player. We have a solid team. We have some great prospects. We have the money to spend (whether or not we spend it).

If we choose to let Weber go then Poile is going to have a tough off season. I'm positive most Preds fans are sick of rebuilding. We've had a team for 2 years now that was almost there. Where did that get us? Nowhere. It always seems it's the same deal every year.

We have a solid foundation in place. We need a few players to make us even more successful. I know Weber is a great player, but I don't believe in paying that kind of money for a defenseman.

I say let Philadelphia have him. We will pick up the scraps and ice a competitive team as we have been the past several years. Hopefully, and I mean HOPEfully, management will step up their role and sign some players with the money we will have.

I know there can be alot more detail said about this topic involving the FA market, giving up prospects, chemistry of the team, and how this effects our fanbase.

JamestheSame is offline   Reply With Quote