HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oilers re-sign Sam Gagner (1yr/$3.2M)

Old
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM
zeus3007*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
Katz is the new Ballard. He'll decide everything on profit. I don't think Katz would care what crap is on the ice if he makes money on it.
he'd take the picks and continue to sell deluded fans on a crappy team with an good future.
I'd love to know what your evidence is to support this theory. Is it the spending buckets of money on our development system, or the offering huge overpayments to guys like Penner, Vanek, and Hossa that makes you think it?

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
awesomo
HARD!

There's obviously a disagreement on the potential. One year tells it's a lets see what you can do thing

awesomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9GWG9 View Post
Do you mean Nash or Phi?

Nashville simply does not have the bank account to pay all that money upfront or they would have matched already IMO. Philly is out of the offer sheet business if Nash passes cause they will no longer have their first rounder for the next four years.
Buffalo had the space to match Vanek and they took until the final day. David Poile said yesterday that management has given him the go ahead to spend to the cap. Everyone is talking about the 24 million in the first year, but Nashville still has 29 million in cap space that Poile has been given the ok to spend. He also said they are taking time to go through the details of the offer sheet. They will match it. It may prevent them from spending money on keeping Sergei Kostitsyn, but honestly, that's minor compared to losing Weber.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:22 AM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
It's called common sense. Strength down the middle is almost mandatory in the NHL and that is perhaps the Oilers biggest weakness and likely always will be until the little guy is dealt. Is Gagner all of a sudden going to morph into a strong 2 way center who will line up against the tough matchups and succeed? I would say that is highly unlikely.
He doesn't have to be. We have a #1C for that.

Quote:
If the Oilers had somebody like Getzlaf at center then Gagner would be a fit but on a team filled with top 6 skill and little grit, changes will have to be made if the team is to take the next step.
Do big skilled 60 point centres grow on trees? No. So how do you propose we go about ticking that box off without weakening some other area of the team?

Quote:
It's not about points, it's about his weakness in other areas. Gagner gets schooled against tougher competition and he is a 5 year veteran now.
A five year veteran who is still 22. Most players who aren't phenoms aren't owning tough competition at that age.

Quote:
Outside of his out of this world hot streak, he plays well against teams like Columbus and Colorado who aren't big, strong teams and struggles against most other teams. His offense which is supposed to be a strength is wildly inconsistent and this is with very skilled players surrounding and him getting plenty of PP time. If the Oilers had a center like Getzlaf to shelter him, i could see a place for him long term but that's simply not the case. It's just a matter of him being a bad fit for this particular team.
It's all well and good to talk about what the Oilers need, but identifying those needs and meeting them are two different things. I see Gagner as a not-ideal, but entirely serviceable 2C who would benefit from being paired with a winger with some size and grit. It'd be great to have a Dustin Brown or a Getzlaf. But we don't.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:23 AM
oil slick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho
Throw a 19 year old goalie to the wolves?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Bunz is a solid prospect, but he isn't close to NHL ready. We won't see him in the NHL for at least two more years. He won't even be in the AHL this year, and rightfully so. Not many goalies can be effective at a young age in the NHL. I am a huge Bunz fan, but he's no Carey Price or Cam Ward, he needs some development time.
I was just pointing out that Katz doesn't seem to mind spending money... of course I don't think Bunz should be an NHL goalie yet.

Just pointing out the inconsistency of claiming a cheap owner, and then the very next post saying they overspent on a player.

oil slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:30 AM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Gagner will never fit on this team long term because even if he gets 60+ pts, he doesn't excel at any other aspect of his game and he will likely always get owned against bigger, stronger centers. The team will never compete for anything meaningful with 2 smallish, offensive minded centers in their top 6.
It will never work if the team ever makes the playoffs and the idea is to build a cup contender one day, isn't it?
How true, at best, he's a an effective complimentary player on a strong and loaded team. For Oiler purposes, he does not fit the need for a big skilled center.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
cool. glad that's sewn up.

this season is the final "test" for me, as an observer, for Gagner.
no more age excuses, no more personnel excuses, etc, etc..

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:43 AM
okgooil

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Katz will match anything on the kids, mark it down.
ya, having katz as a owner assures no team would even try it, it won't intimidate katz, he will match in a heart beat.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:45 AM
okgooil

So just one question, why is gagner still a RFA after this? this will mean 6 years in the NHL?

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:48 AM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
So just one question, why is gagner still a RFA after this? this will mean 6 years in the NHL?
Yes.

UFA after seven seasons.

Auguste Escoffier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:50 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Yeah, after this year, he'll have played 6 seasons in the NHL. Requires 7 to become a UFA.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope4theFuture View Post
Yeah, after this year, he'll have played 6 seasons in the NHL. Requires 7 to become a UFA.
And it appears the Oilers have taken advantadge of this. As a Non-Gagner fan...I like this contract.

Everest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Simpleheart

LOL @ "tambo really missed the ball here by not signing him to a lowball contract for 11ty years"

yeah, I'm sure its in sam gagner's best interest to be locked into a long-term contract right now when UFA is so close.

Simpleheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:11 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 1360
I'm very happy they got Gagner locked up for at least one more year - I hope he proves that he's worth hanging on to.

OneMoreAstronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:14 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Ga8ner - i like him

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
oilexport

Love the deal. Best contract handed out by Tambo. Hope for a big year from Sam and a big offer sheet next year (from another team) so we can take the picks and run !! All kinds of Options avail. for the Oilers - trade or resign short/long term.

oilexport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
Katz will match anything on the kids, mark it down.
Also the kids would have to agree to the OS anyway-other teams can offer the moon and still not have it agreed to. Their agent can push them to but if Hall/Eberle/Gagner have no inclination to split up and feel that signing OS can jeopardize the team and the ability to keep them together, I can see them not bothering with OS offers

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:20 PM
stratedge
Rebuild, year 4...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
Gagner Hall and Eberle are all up for renewal next year.

We'd better hope Bettman pulls a rabbit out of his ass on CBA negotiations or we're farked. Rangers and Philly might offer Hall n Ebs 15 years at front loaded $150million contracts.
As much as that would suck, 4 years of having 3 first round picks is a hell of a rebuild.

Realistically, I don't see Hall sniffing out other teams, just unrealistic. Eberle maybe, but it's a huge stretch too.

stratedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:28 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I'd love to know what your evidence is to support this theory. Is it the spending buckets of money on our development system, or the offering huge overpayments to guys like Penner, Vanek, and Hossa that makes you think it?
Or his seeming contentment with a team that placed 30, 30 , 29. and the fact that Katz bought the club in 2008 and the offersheets were in 2007.
and considering hossa signed his contract the same month Katz got control of the team, I doubt he had anything to do with that, either.

there is no proof of course that he is ok with making profits off of a bad team, just like there is no proof to say he would automatically match any offersheets signed by an oiler player.
My theory has just as much of a chance to be correct.

anyways, to stay on topic, I love the contract for Gagner. I look forward to him having an excellent year and seeing him play on a decent team where he isn't getting crapped on for a lack of development that wasn't his fault.

now I'm off to add cardmonkey to my ignore list.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I want to see this post-Minny interview!

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Timo

Questioning Gagner's attitude.... Not a good idea.

He has been a model team mate and Oiler every since he was drafted.

Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

So that Gagner is a pretty swell guy eh?

Lets keep this on topic. Trolling and any personal attacks will not be tolerated.

07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
So that Gagner is a pretty swell guy eh?

Lets keep this on topic. Trolling and any personal attacks will not be tolerated.
Sorry for my part in it.

On topic, I'm happy with this deal. It's his opportunity to show what he an do before the Oilers cut ties.

North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Joe Hallenback

I think this is the beginning of the end for young Sammy Gags. A 1 year deal with RFA still looming for him next year. 1 year to either be lights out good with guys who have already passed him or get traded to someone else who might believe he can still be something more.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:45 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:
It's called common sense. Strength down the middle is almost mandatory in the NHL and that is perhaps the Oilers biggest weakness and likely always will be until the little guy is dealt.
It's not common sense. It's "I want to view the NHL like a videogame where every ideal piece can be acquired".

You guys basically want a bigger, stronger, version of Gagner that will be the same on offense. So does every other team in the league.

AUAIOMRN is offline   Reply With Quote