HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Phoenix Coyotes Lounge III

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:27 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Why do these sick people do these things? At least, I hope it was a sick person. The alternative is that they were just plain evil. It's easier to deal with mental illness than evil.
If you think this is sick, you should rrad some of the responses to this over in the entertainment section.

Lots of people there are more concerned that parents allowed a 3 month old baby into a theater at midnight than the deaths.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Blubba Jenkins
Staying Faithful

That's truly awful. RIP

Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

The shooter got in through the back emergency back door. Threw a can that releaced smoke and started shooting. I'm glad the police caught this sick ****.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:11 AM
doaner

More and more people are hitting the streets that have a mental illness since a lot of facilities were closed during the recession. This is only the beginning.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:27 AM
ssmatik

CNN: One of the victims was a huge hockey fan. She had moved there to get into sports reporting.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
More and more people are hitting the streets that have a mental illness since a lot of facilities were closed during the recession. This is only the beginning.
I'll have to find the links again. I was just reading that the guy arrested for this crime had dropped out of the Univ of Colorado. He was going for his PhD in neuroscience.

Rumors are going around as well that he lead the Occupy San Diego protest as well.

https://twitter.com/denverchannel/st...33821476421632

Quote:
#CUDenver confirms #theatershooter, James Holmes, getting PHD in neuroscience-- started in fall of 2011; withdrew last month.

Last edited by Colt45Blast: 07-20-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old
07-20-2012, 11:49 AM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmatik View Post
CNN: One of the victims was a huge hockey fan. She had moved there to get into sports reporting.
Read this.

https://twitter.com/#!/search/Jessic...essicaRedfield

The same shooting victim had just missed being inside a mall in Toronto where another shooting recently took place as well.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:51 AM
clayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
RIP to those killed in a movie theater in Colorado.

Godspeed to them, and peace to there families....

Old
07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
Quote:
The same shooting victim had just missed being inside a mall in Toronto where another shooting recently took place as well.
She wrote about her Toronto experience here:

http://jessicaredfield.wordpress.com/

Its so sad to read her twitter account right before the movie started...it was just a normal day when the worst happened.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:01 PM
doaner

This is a good reason why people need to protect themselves, no matter the social setting.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

I'm just looking at the live news reports right now at this guys apartment. The police say the bomb inside could take hours or days to remove safely. All 5 apartment buildings have been evacuated.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:07 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
This is a good reason why people need to protect themselves, no matter the social setting.
This is preposterous. More people firing guns in a crowded, dark theater filled with tear gas would have somehow led to fewer casualties?

Old
07-20-2012, 02:20 PM
doaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
This is preposterous. More people firing guns in a crowded, dark theater filled with tear gas would have somehow led to fewer casualties?
Absolutely! I understand if you are anti gun, but having one or maybe a few trained people that know how to use a fun would have saved lives. 100%! As a person, I would rather have something and not need it then to need it and not have it. This applies to all aspects of life, not just self defense.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:38 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Absolutely! I understand if you are anti gun, but having one or maybe a few trained people that know how to use a fun would have saved lives. 100%! As a person, I would rather have something and not need it then to need it and not have it. This applies to all aspects of life, not just self defense.
But there's a limit. I'm guessing you also walk everywhere with a helmet and a bullet-proof vest. Better bring roller blades, too, just in case you need to make a swift getaway. And don't wear anything metal, since you're more likely to be struck by lightning then to be killed in a random act of violence.

In all seriousness, though, my issue here isn't about preparation. It's that even a well trained civilian could have (and likely would have) done more harm than good in this situation. With all that was going on, it's unlikely that anyone could have gotten a full read on the situation quickly enough to really resolve it. What if the gunman opened fire and was immediately gunned down, but someone else thought the second shooter was the person firing at innocent people and then shot him? It's very easy to conceive of a situation where lots more people could have gotten hurt. Not to mention this guy was carrying an assault rifle, which even the most paranoid of gun nuts doesn't often bring with him to a movie theater.

The solution to problems like these (which are very, very rare) are to make it a) more difficult for people to buy assault weapons and b) keep closer tabs on the mentally ill.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
The Tank thanks you

Quote:
The solution to problems like these (which are very, very rare) are to make it a) more difficult for people to buy assault weapons and b) keep closer tabs on the mentally ill.
The VA tech massacre took place without "assault" weapons. Two regular hand guns. It makes no difference.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:48 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
The VA tech massacre took place without "assault" weapons. Two regular hand guns. It makes no difference.
In that case, b) would have helped an awful lot.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
zz

Quote:
Seems like the guy was smart and organized enough to have a post-graduate degree and booby-trap his apartment with sophisticated materials. With no prior record of any crime, I'm not sure what mental institutions have to do with this.

Also, considering the dude was wearing bullet-proof protective gear over his chest, neck and head, armed with a powerful assault weapon, and with a gas mask, I don't understand how a poor chap with a hand gun, breathing pepper spray, could have stopped him.

Last edited by zz: 07-20-2012 at 03:02 PM.
Old
mitch27

Quote:
a) more difficult for people to buy assault weapons
This should be a no brainer. I don't understand, it seems like just about anybody can buy one. It doesn't make sense.

Old
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

I won't get into the politics of this.

But it can be argued that Murphy's Law does apply in cases like this.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by OEL View Post
Seems like the guy was smart and organized enough to have a post-graduate degree and booby-trap his apartment with sophisticated materials. With no prior record of any crime, I'm not sure what mental institutions have to do with this.

Also, considering the dude was wearing bullet-proof protective gear over his chest, neck and head, armed with some a powerful assault weapon, and with a gas mask, I don't understand how a poor chap with a hand gun, breathing pepper spray, could have stopped him.
This is a pretty sound point. Though there are surely ways we could work to better prevent violent tragedies in general, the sad truth is that, in a free society, things like this just happen from time to time.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:58 PM
Colt45Blast
Tippett's Tool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch27 View Post
This should be a no brainer. I don't understand, it seems like just about anybody can buy one. It doesn't make sense.
Without getting into politics, I will say this.

Even if Guns in general were illegal, there are plenty of ways to kill a bunch of people in a very short period.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:01 PM
zz

I don't own a gun and don't plan to every acquire one, and I don't think an armed citizen in the theater would have made a difference, yet I don't believe more gun control would do much to stop the occasional shooting spree.

Cases in point:

Mohammed Merah (France), back in March 2012. Shot 7 people to death, including kids and military men using Kalashnikovs and Uzis, in a country where handguns and assault weapons are illegal, and hunting rifles are strictly regulated. He was never diagnosed with mental illness.

Anders Behring Breivik's weapons (Norway) were legally registered in a country with strict gun laws. Killed 69 people. Never diagnosed with mental illness.

If a lone person is dedicated to killing a bunch of people with no fear of getting killed or captured, he/she will find a way. Not much anyone can do about it.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:02 PM
zz

Quote:
the sad truth is that, in a free society, things like this just happen from time to time.
Exactly.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
mitch27

Quote:
Without getting into politics, I will say this.

Even if Guns in general were illegal, there are plenty of ways to kill a bunch of people in a very short period.
Good point. Like Pho says, as sad as it is, I really don't think these kinds of tragedies are preventable.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

What a sick ****.

Closed Thread