HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
rban*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Thankfully Homer seemed to agree with what some of us were saying on these boards. I (among others) have been constantly saying that we needed a true #1 defender. The lineup defensively that we have/had wont cut it. Timonen is a solid 2 at this point. Coburn, Meszaros, and Grossmann are 3, maybe 2 defenseman, and Schenn is an unknown at this point. Adding a true #1 defender helps this team out tremendously. For the past Stanley Cups, all the teams had a defender that was a true #1. Us going in with a bunch of 2-4s wasnt going to cut it. One of the major holes on this team will be filled.
THIS , THIS a thousand times!

Old
07-20-2012, 10:30 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

Offer sheet front loaded and a NTC cause if i was homer thats what i do i say nashville doesnt match.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:31 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
I'm confused by the main board, not shocking I know, and their idea on how Nash should sign Weber and then trade him.

They say "Have to match. He's the face of the franchise, captain, and you'll lose the fan base, and sink the franchise if you don't match."

Then they go on to say "They can just trade him in a year for a better package than 4 1st round picks."

Disregarding the $27 million they'd be paying in one year, how the hell does that make sense? Would he no longer be the face of the franchise, captain, and would you no longer lose the fan base, and sink the franchise in a year?

In fact it'd be worse since your fan base now thinks he's a Pred for life, and then you ship him out a year later.

I don't get it.
The main board is an awful, terrible place; and, you must not go there. Understood?

Most of those people are complete idiots that have no idea how to consider all aspects of what Nashville must consider before making a decision. They also cannot see how the Flyers still win if Weber stays with Nashville.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:31 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Nashville would owe Weber 27 million in the next calender year. They arent going to trade Weber next offseason after handing him 13 million on July 1,2013.
i think Nashville does bite the bullet and matches. I also think Weber isnt going anywhere anytime soon. So its win/win for the Flyers regardless.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
I'm confused by the main board, not shocking I know, and their idea on how Nash should sign Weber and then trade him.

They say "Have to match. He's the face of the franchise, captain, and you'll lose the fan base, and sink the franchise if you don't match."

Then they go on to say "They can just trade him in a year for a better package than 4 1st round picks."

Disregarding the $27 million they'd be paying in one year, how the hell does that make sense? Would he no longer be the face of the franchise, captain, and would you no longer lose the fan base, and sink the franchise in a year?

In fact it'd be worse since your fan base now thinks he's a Pred for life, and then you ship him out a year later.

I don't get it.
I think all of those people are the fans of the teams that don't want him on the Flyers. Just reaching for reasons for Nashville to match.

Nashville fans I think honestly want him to stay in Nashville despite what it will cost to keep him. I just hope for their sake, they pack that arena season after season, cause that contract is going to need a lot of revenue to keep afloat.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:32 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:

I don't get it.
If they did that they'd essentially have paid $27 million in a single year for whatever we trade them. Financially doesn't make sense.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:33 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Nashville would owe Weber 27 million in the next calender year. They arent going to trade Weber next offseason after handing him 13 million on July 1,2013.
i think Nashville does bite the bullet and matches. I also think Weber isnt going anywhere anytime soon. So its win/win for the Flyers regardless.
In real cash they are paying almost $35,000,000 for Rinne and Weber over the next year (Actually less than a year at this point).

Old
07-20-2012, 10:34 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Agreed. Both choices seem like they will hurt the team's pocket book. He walks, he takes revenue and fans with him. He stays, he takes an absurd amount of money with in his pocket. In the long run, I think initial loss (that being the sum paid to Weber) is less of an issue than what could be the potential loss of future earnings because of the time it may take to revamp the team and get the fans loyalty back. In short. He stays in Nashville, probably forever or close to it.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
If they did that they'd essentially have paid $27 million in a single year for whatever we trade them. Financially doesn't make sense.
It also dosn't make sense because they would not give him a 3 year 21 million dollar deal a year ago... But, people seem to think they will pay him $27 mill for one season then trade him.

Also, what teams in the NHL would dismantle their team for Weber? If they wanted Schenn and Couts (+ more) for him as an RFA, what team would have the pieces to get a life-long signed Weber?

A: No team would pay that price.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:39 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Agreed. Both choices seem like they will hurt the team's pocket book. He walks, he takes revenue and fans with him. He stays, he takes an absurd amount of money with in his pocket. In the long run, I think initial loss (that being the sum paid to Weber) is less of an issue than what could be the potential loss of future earnings because of the time it may take to revamp the team and get the fans loyalty back. In short. He stays in Nashville, probably forever or close to it.
Do you not consider the fact Weber's camp has publicly stated, many times, that he wants to play for a contender/Philly? That has got to be a tipping point for any owners in NSH that are on the fence about this.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:41 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:

I don't get it.
I am not sure the other parties who are speaking about it, get it either

Old
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I am not sure the other parties who are speaking about it, get it either
The one guy on the main board that starts and finishes every thought with "LuLz" seems to know what he's talking about...

Old
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
If the Preds don't match aren't the Flyers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Jakub Voracek? I know as a Canucks' fan I'd try and grab him in a heartbeat.
How much are you willing to offer for a 15 goal, 50 point winger, the Flyers can match an offer up to $4MM without moving any player of the current roster.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonMeans View Post
If the Preds don't match aren't the Flyers vulnerable to an offer sheet for Jakub Voracek? I know as a Canucks' fan I'd try and grab him in a heartbeat.
If you pay a lot for him Flyers fans wouldn't mind with the return it would bring back. I'm sure Homer wouldn't either.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Giroux 4 MVP
Girøux #28

If Nashville wants to be ******** they could now offer to Voracek lol

Old
07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
How much are you willing to offer for a 15 goal, 50 point winger, the Flyers can match an offer up to $4MM without moving any player of the current roster.
not true. they have to move someone (most likely Mez) if Weber is signed and if they intend to re-sign Vorachek

Old
07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
If Nashville wants to be ******** they could now offer to Voracek lol
And Vora signs an OS with Nashville because???

Old
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
I think the flyers would match up to about 4m or so with Voracek.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
And Vora signs an OS with Nashville because???
for the LULz

Old
07-20-2012, 10:53 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
not true. they have to move someone (most likely Mez) if Weber is signed and if they intend to re-sign Vorachek
No, noone, capgeek has Pronger on the roster ... he will be on long term injured reserve.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
for the LULz
Lulz!!!1!!1

Old
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Do you not consider the fact Weber's camp has publicly stated, many times, that he wants to play for a contender/Philly? That has got to be a tipping point for any owners in NSH that are on the fence about this.
That is definitely part of it, but I think in the end, it would be riskier to let him walk and lose all the fan support gained in recent years, than to bring him back and shell out money. If Weber is the kind of player that will not play for the Preds or give it his all, etc. 1) I'd be very surprised because all reports are that he is an exemplary leader/team guy, and 2) I wouldn't want him on this team. In other words, while it is certainly possible, I think the Preds are comfortable matching because they probably think that would not be an issue after the contract is matched. Would he prefer to play in Philly? It appears as such. Would he hold out or anything like that and demand a trade? I don't see him doing that. Possible for sure, but not likely.

That being said, I hope you are right. Weber is my favorite non-flyers guy (soon to be favorite Flyers, perhaps). I would love nothing more than to see this deal go down. I just don't see it happening. Nashville's franchise would be in a lot more trouble without him than with him. Damned if you do, more damned if you don't.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:56 AM
Brostradamus
LegionOfDoom Reunion

Quote:

I don't get it.
That's how I feel about it. Why would you pay $27 mill just to save face... only to then trade him a year later for players that do not equal his immediate talent. That says to your fans you're trying to rebuild just as much as not matching the offer sheet only your wasting an additional year and a great deal of money. Essentially they would be paying to rebuild. The fans will get over it if the Predators would stop allowing their talent to get to this point and lock them up. Poile tried to low ball Weber time after time (Offering him less than $5 mill a year.... really?) so I don't remotely feel bad for their situation at all.

Honestly if their just matching this offer out of spite then they deserve the financial ramifications that come their way. Personally I have nothing against Nashville, I was rooting for them to do well over the last few seasons, but their management of their talent has been horrid and I'm concerned with my team first and foremost. They have been a franchise for 14 years. We haven't won a cup in almost 40. At this point do whatever it takes to bring it back to Broad Street, and if that means forcing another franchise to suffer financially due to this offer sheet than so be it. I also wouldn't offer any additional pieces besides Meszaros + to retain one of those picks and I would even be hesitant to do that. Either they have the money or they don't, simple as that.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
No, noone, capgeek has Pronger on the roster ... he will be on long term injured reserve.
Just to show that:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.000m)
Wayne Simmonds ($1.750m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Danny Briere ($6.500m)
Ruslan Fedotenko ($1.750m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.544m)
Jody Shelley ($1.100m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Shea Weber ($7.857m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Luke Schenn ($3.600m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) / Andreas Lilja ($0.738m)

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($5.667m)
Michael Leighton ($0.900m)

BUYOUTS
Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,328,944; BONUSES: $2,705,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $871,056

Old
07-20-2012, 11:00 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

I also do think that Weber will be matched. I think it might be more of a blow than the money issue. Only way this is solved is if the Flyers and Preds trade with eachother (like others have been saying)

Closed Thread