HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Notices

Non-Minnesota NHL News VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 11:33 PM
  #76
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,222
vCash: 50
Hey, I'm now getting told my responses are irrelevant!

Philly fans so want to believe that Nashville can't or won't match they are blinding themselves to reality!

TaLoN is online now  
Old
07-19-2012, 11:54 PM
  #77
Avder
Moderator
Is only game.
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moorhead, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 27,912
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaykay View Post
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
Who is Shay Weber? Is he related to Shea Weber?
Oh bug off.

Avder is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 07:51 AM
  #78
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 22,832
vCash: 500
Why is anyone blaming Weber, Parise, or Suter?

Seriously, this is pro sports. Who cares what he said? They all had time to get their deals done or be traded, and the GM's stayed put.

All the NJ fans want to do is rip Parise for "lying" when he said he wanted to stay, like Nash fans want to rip Weber and Suter. Well what do you expect the players to say, they like it there but might prefer to play somewhere else? In the middle of the season or a playoff run?

There's a reason those players all said they weren't going to deal with the contracts until the end of the year...they want to focus on hockey and not be distracted or a distraction to the team. Clearly if they DIDN'T like it there, they would have been talking to their agent or the GM and tried to get traded. I'm sure they all liked their teams just fine, but when you have one chance to make $100M and play with any team in the league, you take that chance.

It should be pretty damn obvious that if a GM doesn't lock up the player the summer before his last season on the contract, the player is likely going to walk for nothing. That's a calculated risk. NJ and Nash gambled and lost. But they knew that going in. If the players truly wanted to stay long term, they would have signed long term the summer before.

Jarick is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 08:18 AM
  #79
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!
 
TaLoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Farmington, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,222
vCash: 50
Nashville fans have been ripping into Poile over this...saw a thread speculating on the possibility of him being fired on their board even.

Don't think he will be, but he's not viewed as infallible by their fans as he used to be.

TaLoN is online now  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:51 AM
  #80
Dudicles
Registered User
 
Dudicles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 404
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Why is anyone blaming Weber, Parise, or Suter?

Seriously, this is pro sports. Who cares what he said? They all had time to get their deals done or be traded, and the GM's stayed put.

All the NJ fans want to do is rip Parise for "lying" when he said he wanted to stay, like Nash fans want to rip Weber and Suter. Well what do you expect the players to say, they like it there but might prefer to play somewhere else? In the middle of the season or a playoff run?

There's a reason those players all said they weren't going to deal with the contracts until the end of the year...they want to focus on hockey and not be distracted or a distraction to the team. Clearly if they DIDN'T like it there, they would have been talking to their agent or the GM and tried to get traded. I'm sure they all liked their teams just fine, but when you have one chance to make $100M and play with any team in the league, you take that chance.

It should be pretty damn obvious that if a GM doesn't lock up the player the summer before his last season on the contract, the player is likely going to walk for nothing. That's a calculated risk. NJ and Nash gambled and lost. But they knew that going in. If the players truly wanted to stay long term, they would have signed long term the summer before.
Also, you also can't really blame either GM for taking that risk. Both teams were ready for a serious playoff push. Heck, Jersey almost won the Cup. Nashy probably had more pressure to do something considering both Suter and Weber were coming up on huge contract extensions.

Dudicles is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 11:15 AM
  #81
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,356
vCash: 500
It's funny how before the offer-sheet, everybody is like "4 1st round picks is a lot". I remember the same was said about Stamkos.

Now, after the offer sheet is given, 4 1st round picks, on guys who aren't going to make an real impact in the NHL for 5-10 years, seems like a small price to pay for a maybe the best Dman in the league.

I'm surprised somebody didn't go after Stamkos.

nickschultzfan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 11:35 AM
  #82
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Honestly... Nashville fans have a right to be upset at Poile. I wouldn't direct my ire at Weber at all, as it is within the "rules" to do what he did.

Poile took Weber to arbitration last summer, which was nasty and pretty much set the stage for the eventual destruction of the Predators. Frankly, it has been one dumb move after another with that franchise over the last 36 months.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 11:59 AM
  #83
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Honestly... Nashville fans have a right to be upset at Poile. I wouldn't direct my ire at Weber at all, as it is within the "rules" to do what he did.

Poile took Weber to arbitration last summer, which was nasty and pretty much set the stage for the eventual destruction of the Predators. Frankly, it has been one dumb move after another with that franchise over the last 36 months.
hey now, poile did get andrei kostistyn and radulov to show both suter and weber he was commited to bringing in offensive production....

yeah that arbitration was the nail i think.

forthewild is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 12:24 PM
  #84
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
I think Poile let Radulov call the shots on his return...

Radulov's season in Russia was done. The Preds looked like they were going to make a deep run to the Cup. Radulov says... "Hey, I wanna play!"

Sort of like how Havlat called us... Do you say "No" to that sort of talent addition?

bozak911 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
  #85
forthewild
Registered User
 
forthewild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 3,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I think Poile let Radulov call the shots on his return...

Radulov's season in Russia was done. The Preds looked like they were going to make a deep run to the Cup. Radulov says... "Hey, I wanna play!"

Sort of like how Havlat called us... Do you say "No" to that sort of talent addition?
i think Poile was goading him back, radulov had to go through loopholes to come over and play with out paying a stiff fine. still tho i think weber wanted him back too which made the situation more tense.

do hope this works out for nashville tho.

forthewild is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  #86
Randy BoBandy
Cheeseburger Party
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Well Casey Wellman got traded to Florida for a 5th rounder

Randy BoBandy is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  #87
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,857
vCash: 403
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
RED ALERT: #FlaPanthers acquire C/RW Casey Wellman from #NYR in exchange for a 5th-round 2014 #NHLDraft pick. Details: http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=638326
http://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/statu...91457148317697

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 02:05 PM
  #88
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,857
vCash: 403
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Also, inb4 Gopher.

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 02:33 PM
  #89
Engebretson
Another GopherClone
 
Engebretson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 5,137
vCash: 500
Casey's taking his talents to South Beach... err a beach a little north of South Beach.

Hopefully get gets a good chance in Florida.

Engebretson is online now  
Old
07-20-2012, 02:42 PM
  #90
NightSky
Registered User
 
NightSky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Europe
Posts: 123
vCash: 500
Yes!
Panthers is my second favorite team and i'm a huge fan of Wellman. Everything went better than expected.

NightSky is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 03:18 PM
  #91
Fel 96
Global Moderator
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,857
vCash: 403
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Excited for this new opportunity with the Florida panthers #sunshinestate
http://twitter.com/caseywellman/stat...10310679007232

Fel 96 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 04:26 PM
  #92
GopherState
Repeat Offender...
 
GopherState's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: X Marks The Spot
Posts: 22,724
vCash: 500
Congrats to Casey!!!!!!1!!!!7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Honestly... Nashville fans have a right to be upset at Poile. I wouldn't direct my ire at Weber at all, as it is within the "rules" to do what he did.

Poile took Weber to arbitration last summer, which was nasty and pretty much set the stage for the eventual destruction of the Predators. Frankly, it has been one dumb move after another with that franchise over the last 36 months.
It's not a fair comparison but Nashville this past season reminded me of Minnesota in 2008 where the window was closing and Poile had to do more to keep it.

__________________
Blog: First Round Bust: A Cast of Thousands celebrating a rather dodgy track record of Minnesota Wild Drafting.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
  #93
usernam*
#TeamSuccess
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 4,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Also, inb4 Gopher.
This was my initial thought when I saw the news on Twitter at work.

usernam* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 05:53 PM
  #94
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
It's not a fair comparison but Nashville this past season reminded me of Minnesota in 2008 where the window was closing and Poile had to do more to keep it.
Actually, I think that is a fair comparison.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 05:53 PM
  #95
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
It's funny how before the offer-sheet, everybody is like "4 1st round picks is a lot". I remember the same was said about Stamkos.

Now, after the offer sheet is given, 4 1st round picks, on guys who aren't going to make an real impact in the NHL for 5-10 years, seems like a small price to pay for a maybe the best Dman in the league.

I'm surprised somebody didn't go after Stamkos.
I'm certain at least 5 teams did go after Stamkos. Everyone seems to forget that you only hear about offer sheets if a player signs one. I'm sure quite a few teams offered Doughty offer sheets as well.

I'd say the biggest impact of giving up 4 firsts (besides the uncertainty) is the fan impact of losing out on the draft. Not too many teams can afford the fan PR hit of not drafting in the first round for 4 years.

On a Philly specific note, while it's likely most of those picks will be in th 20s, I wouldn't assume all of them will be, or that many of them will even be late 20s. Weber is a great defenseman, but has struggled defensively away from Suter. It's not like Philly was a powerhouse before either. They pulled out a 5th place finish in the east and gave up 6863389053 goals in their opening playoff series. Briere is another year older, Pronger is done, they lost probably their second best dman, Timonen is on the edge of retirement. Yes, they picked up both Schenns, but lost JVR. I'm out in the woods on my phone so I can't closely verify, but I'd assume if Nashville doesn't match, Vorachek will have to be gone as well. They're just a couple injuries away from missing the playoffs, and Bryz is always a question mark once they're there. While its not the value Nashville would want for Weber, they could still come out ahead in the long run.

squidz* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:00 PM
  #96
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Honestly... Nashville fans have a right to be upset at Poile. I wouldn't direct my ire at Weber at all, as it is within the "rules" to do what he did.

Poile took Weber to arbitration last summer, which was nasty and pretty much set the stage for the eventual destruction of the Predators. Frankly, it has been one dumb move after another with that franchise over the last 36 months.
Seriously, this argument has absolutely no merit. Just think about the situation for even a second: "the GM said something mean about me so I'm going to leave this low pressure market for a brutal, undesirable, oppressive coverage high profile situation." No thinking being could follow that logic.

Furthermore, if Weber was always planning on leaving because he got his feelings hurt, neither him nor Suter would have made even the littlest stink about where Suter signed. If Suter had gone back to Nashville, Weber would have signed there long term. Arbitration had absolutely nothing to do with the situation. Weber leaving is more attributable to Parise and Fletcher than it is to Poile.

squidz* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:11 PM
  #97
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,857
vCash: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Seriously, this argument has absolutely no merit. Just think about the situation for even a second: "the GM said something mean about me so I'm going to leave this low pressure market for a brutal, undesirable, oppressive coverage high profile situation." No thinking being could follow that logic.
Except a lot of athletes are not driven by logic; there's pride, ego, greed, you name it.

Some athletes actually actually like the limelight and high pressure situations, or so I've heard: not to mention the competitive edge such a team might have over a lower echelon club.

I don't know bupkis about how Poile and Weber get along, but if you think past dealings don't have an influence on future negotiations, well, I would disagree with that whole-heartedly.

Surly Furious is online now  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:15 PM
  #98
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots
 
bozak911's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 3,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Seriously, this argument has absolutely no merit. Just think about the situation for even a second: "the GM said something mean about me so I'm going to leave this low pressure market for a brutal, undesirable, oppressive coverage high profile situation." No thinking being could follow that logic.

Furthermore, if Weber was always planning on leaving because he got his feelings hurt, neither him nor Suter would have made even the littlest stink about where Suter signed. If Suter had gone back to Nashville, Weber would have signed there long term. Arbitration had absolutely nothing to do with the situation. Weber leaving is more attributable to Parise and Fletcher than it is to Poile.
Dude. Did you have your head in the sand about the aftermath of that arbitration hearing? Weber basically came out and said that he didn't like hearing a massive negative argument against him and his play.




Further edit: As part of the "aftermath", Weber's agent came out and said that "they" consider the priorities that Nashville needs to follow are; Re-signing Suter, Assuring Weber he will also be signed, and then Rinne.

Poile basically said screw that; I'm signing Rinne FIRST.

bozak911 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:41 PM
  #99
squidz*
dun worry he's cool
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: South of the Border
Country: United States
Posts: 11,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
Dude. Did you have your head in the sand about the aftermath of that arbitration hearing? Weber basically came out and said that he didn't like hearing a massive negative argument against him and his play.




Further edit: As part of the "aftermath", Weber's agent came out and said that "they" consider the priorities that Nashville needs to follow are; Re-signing Suter, Assuring Weber he will also be signed, and then Rinne.

Poile basically said screw that; I'm signing Rinne FIRST.
Really? You're basing 100% of your argument on a statement from a year ago that someone didn't enjoy being critiqued? Newsflash, people don't enjoy having their faults pointed out. But it's absolutely disgusting to accuse Weber of being so big of a cry baby that he might base the next 14 years of his life on one minor encounter that is permanently in the past. Seriously, he's not a 15 year old girl, quit arguing that he absolutely must think and behave like one. Boo hoo, the GM didn't follow my suggestion to a T (nevermind the fact that it's Sheehy who caused that turn of events, not Poile) I'm going to go show him!

If any of that was even remotely meaningful there would have been no issue about where Suter signed. QED

squidz* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 06:44 PM
  #100
Minnesota
Moderator
L'étoile du Nord
 
Minnesota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,682
vCash: 1527
squidz's debate mode: engaged.

Minnesota is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.