HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avs re-sign Jamie McGinn (2 years, $3.5M)

Old
07-13-2012, 09:44 PM
Mant*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NothingLikeAnEJ View Post
Have you been eating too any worms lately?

I'm pretty sure Neal and Crosby don't play together...and the reports were proven false since Pittsburgh hasn't really shown that much interest in Semin.

Plus I'm pretty sure we have 3 first lines next season with Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly centering so calm down with these pointless comparisons.
Those are gonna be the three most mediocre first lines in hockey... if you'd said we're going to have three second lines, I might agree. Our talent on the wing leaves me wanting.

Mant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 09:46 PM
cgf

Greg from Accounting pulling power moves.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:20 PM
CalderKing21
Darth Calder

dirt cheap, nice.

CalderKing21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:26 PM
PAZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drizzt1 View Post
OK fair enough guys, but your also using such a small snippet of his career, and a small part in time to judge what he's going to be like in the long haul.

That's a big call is all I am saying. Look at his stats throughout his career, and his play-off series, BUT, Foppagirl makes a great point about his utilisation in San Jose.

Just remember guys, people are sitting him on our Stazz / Jones line - and are calling him a top line player now. Comparitively speaking, you have to look at the talent divide of our then top line compared to others.

Example, these two first up groups are on the ice against each other (I'm assuming The Penguins do pick up Semin like the reports are saying):-

Neal - Crosby - Semin
Letang - Martin / Niskanen / Orpik
Fleury

vs.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Johnson - ????? (Hejda/Hunwick/Zanon)
Varlamov

To be the best, you have to beat the best guys - and I see our divide is pretty broad. I mean, Mcginn and Jones both got 37 points last year guys - 37 !!
Just saying, Neal only has 218 points in 314 games. He was a 45~ point player before playing with Malkin.

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:45 PM
shadow1

Quote:
OK fair enough guys, but your also using such a small snippet of his career, and a small part in time to judge what he's going to be like in the long haul.

That's a big call is all I am saying. Look at his stats throughout his career, and his play-off series, BUT, Foppagirl makes a great point about his utilisation in San Jose.

Just remember guys, people are sitting him on our Stazz / Jones line - and are calling him a top line player now. Comparitively speaking, you have to look at the talent divide of our then top line compared to others.

Example, these two first up groups are on the ice against each other (I'm assuming The Penguins do pick up Semin like the reports are saying):-

Neal - Crosby - Semin
Fleury

vs.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Varlamov

To be the best, you have to beat the best guys - and I see our divide is pretty broad. I mean, Mcginn and Jones both got 37 points last year guys - 37 !!
Uhm, it took the Penguins a long time to get where they are now.

When the Crosby-lead Penguins first made the post season, their top nine wingers were Mark Recchi, Ryan Malone, Michel Oulette, Eric Christensen, Colby Armstrong, and 40-year-old Gary Roberts.

Same position Colorado is in now. They were forced to get the most out of both their old and young players because they weren't an established team.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:51 PM
NHL33*

Keep in mind it's not McGinn who is Mueller's replacement, it's really PAP, who is a very good addition. To be frank there is no reason to think they couldn't have had all three of McGinn, Mueller and PAP, but obviously there may be lingering concerns about his health and the organization did not wish to fit him in their plains. I wouldn't have let him go personally, but I don't know his medical records and it certainly isn't my money that would be wasted if things did not go well (along with having to replace him from Lake Erie, etc.).

NHL33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:06 AM
AllAboutAvs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Neal - Crosby - Semin
Fleury

vs.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Varlamov

But aren't you doing the same with Mueller? Besides his 15 games just after the trade, he has been on 41 PPG pace. In his career he has been just slightly over that pace. On the Avs' boards you are quite vocal about guys being productive after a trade and then coming back to earth...if I remember you call tht the "honeymoon". Well that pretty well what Mueller has done. Yes he has been hurt and I understand that but you also have to understand that McGinn was not put in this position to produce with the Sharks. Mueller has been put in position to succeed most of his career compare to McGinn.

Give him a chance Drizzt and I think you'll love that contract. And like other said, what is the point of being more skilled if you are never on the ice? Right?

AllAboutAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:04 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
I don't mind the 2 year deal either. Just pointing it out there. We now have 7 forwards that has an expiring contract after 2 years.
so almost like this year....

hockeyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 02:10 AM
Heebs21*

Quote:

Neal - Crosby - Semin
Fleury

vs.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Varlamov

Since when does having Fleury in net mean you have an advantage? Did you watch the playoffs this year?

And Pitt's top D pairings are not much better than what we have.

But besides, lets not talk about only 1 line. Lets talk about:

McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Hedjuk - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie

Not many teams can match that.

Heebs21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:06 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 1500
Quote:
63 points in 243 games in 5 NHL seasons, and he gets an almost 2 mill per contract?
If I was Mcginn, I'd be one very happy camper. Good signing - because if, and I mean a BIG if he continues with the same form as he started with us, he could be a decent player.

I would have preferred Mueller who has 10X the natural talent, but the clubs going in a different direction. WHAT direction, I'm unclear of, but a direction none the less.
Quote:

Neal - Crosby - Semin
Fleury

vs.

Mcginn - Stastny - Jones
Varlamov

Thanks for the laughs.

@DubFromAbove
@Avs_Tweets
R S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:46 AM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heebs21 View Post
Since when does having Fleury in net mean you have an advantage? Did you watch the playoffs this year?

And Pitt's top D pairings are not much better than what we have.

But besides, lets not talk about only 1 line. Lets talk about:

McGinn - Stastny - Jones
Hedjuk - Duchene - Parenteau
Landeskog - O'Reilly - Downie

Not many teams can match that.
Assuming Hejduk can even keep up with that line, honestly I would rather have Landeskog move up and hope that a rookie can stick in the third line LW slot. (Where every rookie should start, next to O'Reilly. lol) How many times have you seen Hejduk on the left side 5 on 5? Yeah he sets up there during the Powerplay, but not very often unless my memory isn't serving me correctly.

Keep the RWs at RW! lol

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 04:31 AM
jfc64

How much does a middleschnittmiddleoftheroadsecondorthirdline-player make a year? 3.5 M us yankee dollars? And McGinn gets HALF of that? Booo!

jfc64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:38 PM
freeboy

those lines are third to first right? No way you can put the Staz line vs the Orielly line and not have ORielly and company on top, at leat by last years figures..
How about a first line of OPriely Pap and the koginator?
Then Staz Jones and mcG and downie and Duchane with ??? player to emerge later ..
or move Duchie up with one of the other lines.. seriously we are good to seven or maybe eight top forwards, and if we can find some go juice for Haduk then we might actually have some really tough top three lines.. what about adding a player like Shane Doan and having a even better top nine?

freeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:02 AM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeboy View Post
those lines are third to first right? No way you can put the Staz line vs the Orielly line and not have ORielly and company on top, at leat by last years figures..
How about a first line of OPriely Pap and the koginator?
Then Staz Jones and mcG and downie and Duchane with ??? player to emerge later ..
or move Duchie up with one of the other lines.. seriously we are good to seven or maybe eight top forwards, and if we can find some go juice for Haduk then we might actually have some really tough top three lines.. what about adding a player like Shane Doan and having a even better top nine?
can someone translate this?

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Drizzt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
Gibberish to English language converter: http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rc...S7GUmQ&cad=rja

Drizzt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 1125
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote