HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

vCash: 500
my brain says they dont match

my gut says they do

Old
07-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post

"Hey, **** you."
Timonen plays like he's 6 inches bigger.

So, I wonder if Clarke wandered into Homer's office during trade negotiations and said "Hey. You know, I did this thing once. You should try it."

Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
If this was the attitude then where were 10yr 7.5 m deals for these 2 last year?

You are either spending to win regardless of losses or trying to hedge your losses/make money while spinning the "we are trying to win" speak.

Nsh seems like hedgers to me.
BINGO! If they had the money last year that they claim to have this year for Suter and Weber, they should have locked them both up long term instead of letter Suter go UFA and insulting Weber in arbitration. F'em.

Old
Fresh34

I think Clarke is in on the Flyers FO more than people think

Old
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Bret Wilson only owns 5% of NSH. So if I am him and the rest of the group wants me to foot the 26 Million, guess what - I need more ownership than just 5%.
Excellent point....

This is all about the Benjamins with the ownership group....they have to weigh a ton of variables which includes a pretty lousy economy and whether signing Shea Weber will net them a profitable ROI...it def won't in the near term. From a real dollar standpoint retaining Weber makes about as much sense as a financial derivative...

Old
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
It also dosn't make sense because they would not give him a 3 year 21 million dollar deal a year ago... But, people seem to think they will pay him $27 mill for one season then trade him.
Agree. Management in NSH is beyond terrible. They collectively decide not to pay a top 3 defenseman 21 Million over 3 years, but will now maybe pay 28 Million over 346 days??

Old
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

I think I am going to agree if Weber comes to Philly it will be via trade. I dont think Nashville takes the 4 first rounders which will be low first rounders.
Would they take Mez? I dont know. I would hate to lose Coburn. But its Shea "****ing" Weber.
I realize people are thinking why do them any favors. trading a roster player or 2 would still give you the opportunity to go get someone else even with Weber.
If Nashville matches, I would expect a announcement of a Voracek signing rather quickly and they will move on to plan C.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAINDON View Post
Agree. Management is NSH is beyond terrible. They collectively decide not to pay a top 3 defenseman 21 Million over 3 years, but will now maybe pay 28 Million over 246 days??
LOL....the irony is amazing.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Is there a way Nashville could lose their investors, if they keep pushing to match?
Just curious, I think when investors have to be brought in you already have some sort of finacial issues, now scaring them into matching a huge front loaded contract that doesn't guarentee return that equals dollar signs, I am so glad I'm not one of those investors for Nashville this must be a ridiculous time over there

Old
07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
Fresh34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
BINGO! If they had the money last year that they claim to have this year for Suter and Weber, they should have locked them both up long term instead of letter Suter go UFA and insulting Weber in arbitration. F'em.
Thank you for this. People just want to find any way to bash the Flyers.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:43 PM
RespectTheCouts
He Eats Souls

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Weber: 6'4, 235
Coburn: 6'5, 220
Grossmann: 6'4, 230
Schenn: 6'2, 230
Meszaros: 6'2, 225

Nuff said? Somewhere Bobby Clarke is drooling...
And Pens fans are crying themselves to sleep

Old
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
The one guy on the main board that starts and finishes every thought with "LuLz" seems to know what he's talking about...
thats the key word /sign of a TRUE internet genius..

good eye.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
Excellent point....

This is all about the Benjamins with the ownership group....they have to weigh a ton of variables which includes a pretty lousy economy and whether signing Shea Weber will net them a profitable ROI...it def won't in the near term. From a real dollar standpoint retaining Weber makes about as much sense as a financial derivative...
And it doesn't make financial sense to say on this one deal we will eat it...but cut back in other areas.
Why make one hockey deal and 20 financial ones...it would be TOTALLY different if this deal wasnt designed to lose money on its own for 6 years...

Old
07-20-2012, 12:59 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
I think I am going to agree if Weber comes to Philly it will be via trade. I dont think Nashville takes the 4 first rounders which will be low first rounders.
Would they take Mez? I dont know. I would hate to lose Coburn. But its Shea "****ing" Weber.
I realize people are thinking why do them any favors. trading a roster player or 2 would still give you the opportunity to go get someone else even with Weber.
If Nashville matches, I would expect a announcement of a Voracek signing rather quickly and they will move on to plan C.
Of course they wouldn't take 4 1sts with a trade, but that has nothing to do with the issue. It's the fact that the predators simply cannot afford to match this contract. You could also say that they could simply match the offer and then trade him for a big return, but that is just as detrimental because the organization still has to wait a calander year to trade him, per the CBA and thus would still be on the hook for 28 million dollars in 11 months only to lose the player (that doesn't want to be there in the first place, mind you) anyway.

Matching this offer sheet is seemingly an impossibility for the predators organization barring a financial miracle. People are talking like there's a high chance that the preds match, but I am far from convinced. Poiles balls are in a vice grip. I'd put the chances at about 75-25 that weber is a flyer.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Do you not consider the fact Weber's camp has publicly stated, many times, that he wants to play for a contender/Philly? That has got to be a tipping point for any owners in NSH that are on the fence about this.
They can say whatever they want, it's not in their hands.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:31 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Of course they wouldn't take 4 1sts with a trade, but that has nothing to do with the issue. It's the fact that the predators simply cannot afford to match this contract. You could also say that they could simply match the offer and then trade him for a big return, but that is just as detrimental because the organization still has to wait a calander year to trade him, per the CBA and thus would still be on the hook for 28 million dollars in 11 months only to lose the player (that doesn't want to be there in the first place, mind you) anyway.

Matching this offer sheet is seemingly an impossibility for the predators organization barring a financial miracle. People are talking like there's a high chance that the preds match, but I am far from convinced. Poiles balls are in a vice grip. I'd put the chances at about 75-25 that weber is a flyer.
They can find the money somewhere, its just a matter of weighing the bigger risk: 1) Matching the offer and hoping an upward trend in popularity continues.. 2) do not match and hope the franchise can survive any loss of fanbase until their draft picks start getting to their prime.

Overall, if they think they can survive the first 4-6 seasons of Weber's contract, they should match. Whether they are willing to risk liquidating assets and/or taking out loans to get them there is a whole other issue.

Let us remember too, they haven't had a 1st round pick since 2010. If they lose Weber now, they WILL struggle for a while.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
kudymen
4, 15, 38 and 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
The Flyers would match for sure, it's really not worth it to anyone to do that.
Except the Pens board (not the team, just local yokels)

Old
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
They can say whatever they want, it's not in their hands.
So, they could say, "If NSH matches the offer from PHI Shea will hold out. Shea does not want to play for NSH." and it would not factor into NSH decision?

Old
07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coutsiephan View Post
I''ll tell you what.....with all that money Nashville would have to front to retain him... Weber would probably become the poster child for the term franchise player in sports. What other player would have all that net worth in comparison to the net worth of the entire franchise. Him and Rinne could bankrupt that team in one fell swoop.
imagine NSH matchs, then Weber and Rinne go down with injury..

YIKES !!!

Old
07-20-2012, 01:41 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:

best part of that list...

no CARLE !!!..

indeed

Old
07-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
They can find the money somewhere, its just a matter of weighing the bigger risk: 1) Matching the offer and hoping an upward trend in popularity continues.. 2) do not match and hope the franchise can survive any loss of fanbase until their draft picks start getting to their prime.

Overall, if they think they can survive the first 4-6 seasons of Weber's contract, they should match. Whether they are willing to risk liquidating assets and/or taking out loans to get them there is a whole other issue.

Let us remember too, they haven't had a 1st round pick since 2010. If they lose Weber now, they WILL struggle for a while.
Except they would have a ton of cap space and money to use on salaries next season and there would probably be a limit on contract years and structure. They could sign any combination of Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Tobias Enstrom and be right there again.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:45 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Except they would have a ton of cap space and money to use on salaries next season and there would probably be a limit on contract years and structure. They could sign any combination of Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf and Tobias Enstrom and be right there again.
Very true.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:51 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

Quote:

best part is, Weber can skate, Coburn can fly, Mez and Grossman aren't pylons, Schenn, well we'll see if he gets in shape

Old
07-20-2012, 01:55 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Except that it's a catch 22...

If big name FAs see that this team last suter and weber in the same offseason and likely spent the 12-13 season fighting for the 1st overall pick, what's going to make them want to sign there?

Old
07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
SAINDON

Nashville is valued at $163M. Revenue $82M. Operating Income -7.2M

If they opt to match and pay Weber the 28M next year that is around 34% of their revenue, and that -7.2% loss will only get larger. Also, resigning Weber will not do too much to their revenue stream, except the folks who had Suter jerseys now buy a Weber one.

At the end of the day Poile should be fired for letting Suter and Weber get into UFA/RFA status, unless ownership thought they would get hometown discounts on both.

Last edited by SAINDON: 07-20-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Closed Thread