HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Subban refused qualifying offer

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-19-2012, 03:46 PM
  #76
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,360
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
"but but but the cap went up!"
Yes until the new CBA is signed and then can go right back down

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:49 PM
  #77
SOLR
Registered User
 
SOLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Toronto / North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes until the new CBA is signed and then can go right back down
That's irrelevant imo, salaries will be adjusted(roll-back) then it will go up similarly in %.

SOLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:54 PM
  #78
axman88
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 473
vCash: 500
it's going to be one of two things with Subban...

if a long term deal can't be worked out then he'll probably settle for a 2 year term worth around ~4.5 per year

Long term I could see something like 6 years....

year 1: $4.25 million
year 2: $4.75 million
year 3: $5 million
year 4: $5.25 million
year 5: $5.75 million
year 6: $6.25 million

Avg cap hit of: $5.21 million

axman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:56 PM
  #79
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
He's not yet in Shea Weber's class, so I hope he doesn't go overboard in his demands. If he does, how many first rounders could Subban fetch with an offer sheet from the highest bidder?
If your the Islanders, or another desperate team trying to reach cap floor and improve your hockey club... Where do you stop?

I could easily see a team offer PK a long-term deal at 6M per year. It's an over payment today sure, but within 2-3 years I doubt it.

It puts us between a rock and a hard place too, we match and we are overpaying him, we don't match and we get a sub-par return on a future #1 defenseman. All this Weber signing does is bring back the threat level we saw a few years back. Bergevin absolutely needs to get Subban locked up and soon.

PS: If I'm Nashville I don't match, for financial reasons and then I go after a guy like Subban.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 03:57 PM
  #80
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
i don't like the idea of PK making more than Price did after his entry level contract.

I can't see him getting more than $4M. Probably somewhere in the $3.25-$3.75 range for a couple of years at least. Then he can go for a larger, longer term as Price did but I don't think he's proved himself at a higher pay level yet.
He was getting #1 or #2 minutes last year, pretty hard to argue he isn't worth 4 mil per year, especially if you're looking at more than 1 year. If you only sign him for 1 year you set yourself up to pay huge if he has a big year. If he has an all-star year suddenly he will get Doughty money or more(6.25-7 mil/year). If you can get him for 4 years at 4 mil you sign him up and FAST!

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
  #81
Stephpa10
Registered User
 
Stephpa10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 484
vCash: 500
well Flyers might sign him to an offer sheet 18 year contract 100m contract if we don't sign him soon

what a joke the Flyers are, there is only a few teams giving out this stupid front loaded contracts, and the Flyers are the worst cheaters out there.

i hope they fix this in the new cba, the money should be same all way across the contract, would stop these crazy teams

Stephpa10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:00 PM
  #82
JGRB
#EllerThugLife
 
JGRB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
He was getting #1 or #2 minutes last year, pretty hard to argue he isn't worth 4 mil per year, especially if you're looking at more than 1 year. If you only sign him for 1 year you set yourself up to pay huge if he has a big year. If he has an all-star year suddenly he will get Doughty money or more(6.25-7 mil/year). If you can get him for 4 years at 4 mil you sign him up and FAST!
This.

I don't see Subban getting 4M or less on any contract of length. Anything over 3 years and he's getting minimum 5+M. I could see a 2yr contract with a 4.5M avg, which IMO would be fair. I don't doubt for a second they want a long-term deal in place though.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:06 PM
  #83
Erik Estrada
One Country United!
 
Erik Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Land of the Habs
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,005
vCash: 500
With everyone else but Philly out of the race for Weber (Detroit, Vancouver, NYR, etc...), wouldn't surprise me that one of those teams makes a run at Subban in the next few days.

Erik Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:43 PM
  #84
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,391
vCash: 500
For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban sign an offersheet with the Oilers in the next few days...

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:45 PM
  #85
Lemons
Registered User
 
Lemons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 717
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban sign an offersheet with the Oilers in the next few days...
It makes sense, but i dont think PK wants to play in Edmonton. And the Habs will match it no matter what.

Lemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:51 PM
  #86
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephpa10 View Post
well Flyers might sign him to an offer sheet 18 year contract 100m contract if we don't sign him soon

what a joke the Flyers are, there is only a few teams giving out this stupid front loaded contracts, and the Flyers are the worst cheaters out there.

i hope they fix this in the new cba, the money should be same all way across the contract, would stop these crazy teams
I can see front or back loading contracts but the limit should be 50%. The lowest year can't be any less than 50% of the highest. Plus contract lengths should be 7 or 8 years absolute max for players under 30, 5 years 30+ and 2 or 3 years 35+. Just shortening contracts would help with the front loaded deals.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 04:54 PM
  #87
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Roy View Post
For some reason, I wouldn't be surprised to see Subban sign an offersheet with the Oilers in the next few days...
Edlonton is about the last team I can see signing offer sheets. They have a pile of young players taht will be RFA's in the next 1-3 years and I doubt they want a team offering them crazy contracts.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:06 PM
  #88
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,852
vCash: 1100
Edmonton giving away 1st rounders? Nah. That's lottery picks

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:30 PM
  #89
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Subban may have played 120 games as a #1 (including all playoff games he played in) and, as such, is worth $5M+ should you lock him up long-term.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:00 AM
  #90
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,935
vCash: 500
Surely, we should hear something soon on the PK front? PK's agent sure would have like the deal yesterday where Philly got in on the Weber action....is there a team going to do that to the Habs??

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:40 AM
  #91
Uwey
Registered User
 
Uwey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
If Nashville retains Weber, Philly might just take a run at PK!!!

Uwey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM
  #92
Sined
The AndroidBugler!
 
Sined's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,218
vCash: 500
Looks like Don Meehan hasn't gotten down to negotiations for PK yet. They are set to start next week.

https://twitter.com/hefteronthehabs/...49492834816000

Sined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:33 AM
  #93
LyricalLyricist
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,852
vCash: 1100
Hedman got a 5 year 20 mil deal. Maybe a 4 year 18 mil deal for subban?

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 11:43 AM
  #94
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,855
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hedman got a 5 year 20 mil deal. Maybe a 4 year 18 mil deal for subban?
Longer or shorter, for me and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him. If PK doesn't want to commit to stay here because he either wants a big payday or he's not sure this is the place for him, I'd punt him down the road and wish him well.

Making a decision has it's consequences.

4 years makes him UFA at the end of the term, something I want nothing to do with.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:02 PM
  #95
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,800
vCash: 500
Making a mountain out of a molehill. I'm satisfied that Price was re-signed because he would be irreplaceable at this time. Subban will also sign with the Habs and the Nervous Nellies will calm down until his next contract is up for renewal.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
  #96
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 8,979
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hedman got a 5 year 20 mil deal. Maybe a 4 year 18 mil deal for subban?
Either 1-3 years or 6+ years. 4-5 years isn't going to cut it.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:32 PM
  #97
Teufelsdreck
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 13,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
If your the Islanders, or another desperate team trying to reach cap floor and improve your hockey club... Where do you stop?

I could easily see a team offer PK a long-term deal at 6M per year. It's an over payment today sure, but within 2-3 years I doubt it.

It puts us between a rock and a hard place too, we match and we are overpaying him, we don't match and we get a sub-par return on a future #1 defenseman. All this Weber signing does is bring back the threat level we saw a few years back. Bergevin absolutely needs to get Subban locked up and soon.

PS: If I'm Nashville I don't match, for financial reasons and then I go after a guy like Subban.
If it came from the Islanders, who aren't sure of where they'll be playing, I think PK would be hesitant to sign. As for Nashville, PK is aware that the Preds are (probably) minus Weber as well as Suter, Radulov, and AKost. Anyway, all of this panic is absurd because the Habs could match almost any offer if they chose.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:40 PM
  #98
Habaddict
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 806
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Hedman got a 5 year 20 mil deal. Maybe a 4 year 18 mil deal for subban?
If Subban gets only 4.5 per season, there is absolutly no reason
why he would sign for more han one year. We would have to go through
the same exercise next summer. And by then the rules for RFAs might not
be so restrictive.
People need to remember that he is being signed for what he is expected
to bring in the future, not what he did in the past. And what he did in the past
sugests that he might bring a great deal to our team in the future.

Habaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:46 PM
  #99
danyhabsfan
Registered User
 
danyhabsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by axman88 View Post
it's going to be one of two things with Subban...

if a long term deal can't be worked out then he'll probably settle for a 2 year term worth around ~4.5 per year

Long term I could see something like 6 years....

year 1: $4.25 million
year 2: $4.75 million
year 3: $5 million
year 4: $5.25 million
year 5: $5.75 million
year 6: $6.25 million

Avg cap hit of: $5.21 million
more like
3.5
4
4.5
5
5.5
6

cap hit 4.75M

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:47 PM
  #100
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
Longer or shorter, for me and if PK doesn't want to sign long-term we should look at trading him. If PK doesn't want to commit to stay here because he either wants a big payday or he's not sure this is the place for him, I'd punt him down the road and wish him well.

Making a decision has it's consequences.

4 years makes him UFA at the end of the term, something I want nothing to do with.
Wtf...

Subban has shown nothing but intense loyalty to this team. You are taking things way too seriously, its a freaking contract.

guest1467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.