HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Weber signed to offer sheet (TSN: 14 yrs, $110m, cap hit $7.8m per yr.) Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
El Emperor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Except that it's a catch 22...

If big name FAs see that this team last suter and weber in the same offseason and likely spent the 12-13 season fighting for the 1st overall pick, what's going to make them want to sign there?
That team isn't the Oilers or Islanders.. LOL

Seriously though, the prospect of eight 1st round picks in the next 4 years for a team with already some younger talent might entice players to go there.

Look at LA... look at Pittsburgh

Old
07-20-2012, 01:00 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
Have to include prongers hit until after first game is played
Yes but there is a 10% (IIRC) Cap allowance until then where teams can go over the Cap... They must be at or under the Cap during the Season and Pronger's LTI Cap allowance can kick in then.

In any case, my point is that the Flyers can fit Weber in and ice a potentially fantastic team with a young core without moving any talent due to the Cap.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:02 PM
SAINDON

If NSH matches, the team will travel like the Cleveland Indians in the first Major League.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:07 PM
hockeyfreak7

Question: Would it have been wiser to send Weber a $10m offer sheet for one year knowing that we would immediately extend his contract for 13 more years?

Nashville likely wouldnt have matched a one year offer sheet since he would be likely to walk next July 1st.

And obviously we would have an agreement in place with Weber to extend the contract immediately after Nashville decided not to match.

The only down side would have been potential cap problems for the 2012-13 season with a $10m cap hit.

Not that I mind the scenario we are in now-- I was just wondering if there is something I'm missing. This seems to make some sense to me as far as forcing Nashville not to match.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:10 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
Question: Would it have been wiser to send Weber a $10m offer sheet for one year knowing that we would immediately extend his contract for 13 more years?

Nashville likely wouldnt have matched a one year offer sheet since he would be likely to walk next July 1st.

And obviously we would have an agreement in place with Weber to extend the contract immediately after Nashville decided not to match.

The only down side would have been potential cap problems for the 2012-13 season with a $10m cap hit.

Not that I mind the scenario we are in now-- I was just wondering if there is something I'm missing. This seems to make some sense to me as far as forcing Nashville not to match.
CBA might forbid long term contracts that Weber was looking for. That's the biggest reason people think he signed this deal now.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
CBA might forbid long term contracts that Weber was looking for. That's the biggest reason people think he signed this deal now.
I understand that-- but if he extended his (one year) contract next week, he could still be signed for a 13 year contract extension beginning in 2013-14.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:16 PM
GTopCheese

Quote:
I understand that-- but if he extended his (one year) contract next week, he could still be signed for a 13 year contract extension beginning in 2013-14.
They're trying to crack down on these contracts that we just put out so he'd likely get a shorter contract with less money and little to no insured money.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a restriction on negotiating a future deal on a one-year contract until halfway through the season (which by that time there could be a new CBA).

Can someone confirm?

Old
07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Emperor View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think there is a restriction on negotiating a future deal on a one-year contract until halfway through the season (which by that time there could be a new CBA).

Can someone confirm?
True, after signing a one-year contract, you have to wait half a year before you are allowed to sign another one.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:23 PM
hockeyfreak7

Ah, that explains it then. Thanks.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:27 PM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:

Wasnt that tried already? the 1 year offersheet and it was squashed? I dont think Weber would have signed a 1 year offersheet anywhere. He wants long term stability.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Roo Mad Bro
Morin & Hägg

So, what do you all think Nashville will do?

I still have a feeling they will match

Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I really have no idea.
My guess is the most likely event is they won't match, but rather trade at least one 1st back to us for say Voracek and/or Meszaros.
I also believe Homer would be fine with that.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Wasnt that tried already? the 1 year offersheet and it was squashed? I dont think Weber would have signed a 1 year offersheet anywhere. He wants long term stability.
You're not understanding what I was suggesting. I was saying to offer sheet Weber for one year, then immediately sign him to a 13 year extension. He would get his long term stability.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke View Post
I really have no idea.
My guess is the most likely event is they won't match, but rather trade at least one 1st back to us for say Voracek and/or Meszaros.
I also believe Homer would be fine with that.
then turn around and give Voracek an offer sheet

Old
07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

Still too hard to tell. Given that he doesn't want to go back there, why would they want him?

The best option would be a reasonable deal from the Flyers, sending a few player to them for picks/prospects. It would give the Flyers Weber at a reasonable price, but give the Preds a chance to save face.

If Poile asks for too much, call his bluff and let him match.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:36 PM
SAINDON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post

NSH is in a very tough situation. They only collected 24M in gate receipts in 2011/12. If they match the Flyers offer they will pay Weber 26M in one year, more than they collect in ticket revenue.

The call is in their court...

Here is a link from crossingbroad

http://www.crossingbroad.com/2012/07...h-the-fly.html

Old
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
then turn around and give Voracek an offer sheet
Please describe the offer sheet that the Flyers don't (A) match or (B) happily take the compensation for.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
Please describe the offer sheet that the Flyers don't (A) match or (B) happily take the compensation for.
I think the people who claim all of our players are going to be offersheeted and taken from us forget that we get compensated if that happens. A lot of those people act like we'd be losing players for nothing and it would be hilarious karma.

07-20-2012, 01:43 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
So, they could say, "If NSH matches the offer from PHI Shea will hold out. Shea does not want to play for NSH." and it would not factor into NSH decision?
He isn't going to hold out. He knows there is a 50/50 chance he'll be a Pred for life.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:44 PM
El Emperor

I think when the dust has cleared and a weekend has passsed, this ownership group is going to have to come together and make a decision. I believe that decision will be to not match. Its just a lot of money to gamble with.

They refused a 3 year 21 million dollar contract last season. What makes you think they want to pay the guy 27 million in a matter of 11 months? If the rumors are true and Weber has stated he would rather not stay in Nashville, I cannot see these owners taking a chance on a guy that could become a PR problem. On top of that, even if they do trade him after a year, they will have already paid him that 27 million before they are able to trade.

In terms of the team taking a hit from the fan base, they at least have the built in excuse that "Philly took him from us with a contract they knew we couldn't afford." They also get four 1st rounders, giving them a perfect opportunity to rebuild with a new identity, while banking on a more small-market friendly CBA.

But this may just be me hoping for the best.

Last edited by El Emperor: 07-20-2012 at 01:48 PM. Reason: grammatical errors
Old
07-20-2012, 01:48 PM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He isn't going to hold out. He knows there is a 50/50 chance he'll be a Pred for life.
You said that the Weber camp could say anything and it would not matter because they have no power in NSH decision making process. I was just pointing out that I think the Weber camp absolutely has cards to play, and has already slapped a few down on the table.

Weber, IMO, would not hold out; however, I think he has made it known that he does not really want to stay in NSH. That has got to be a point considered with NSH ownership.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM

I know almost every hockey fan with us knows where he's signed, but the title of this thread doesn't mention Philadelphia at all.

EDIT: Forgot what forum I was in, haha.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:54 PM
RoDu

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
no, we trade Voracek to NSH, then we offer sheet him

Old
07-20-2012, 01:56 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
no, we trade Voracek to NSH, then we offer sheet him
Gold.

Closed Thread