HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

People need to start changing the way they look at contracts.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
In the current market/situation/CBA, these long term deals with big money and front loaded are necessary. If you don't make the offer, someone else will.

That said, I think what would be better is capping deals to between 5-7 years, so players and teams can't just hand out lifetime deals. It keeps the best players off the market and allows GM's to lock up mediocre players for way too long.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:05 PM
emodwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
I think if the new CBA raises UFA age, offer sheets are going to become much more common than they are today. Even middle of the pack players will probably have an OS or two thrown at them.
Raising the UFA age will also force teams to put more emphasis on drafting wisely. The longer younger players are locked into a particular team (barring trade), the less you can rely on free agency to fill gaps and fix mistakes. Trading would be another way to get rid of crappy players/fill needs but that requires even more variables than drafting alone does since it involves another team with its set of needs, player(s) outside your organization, etc.

emodwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:14 PM
DG

I completely agree. I often have this argument with people on these boards.

You can't say OMG OVERPAYMENT and then use a contract signed 5 years ago as a comparator. I remember recently, someone was trying to point to Derek Roy as what a second-line 60-70 point centre should be paid ($4M).

Sorry, I guarantee Derek Roy would not have signed a deal with a 4M cap hit today... you'd be looking more at 5-6M. And shockingly enough... with cap inflation, that's exactly what his cap hit is value at in 2012 cap dollars!

$4M today buys you David Jones.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:19 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I completely agree. I often have this argument with people on these boards.

You can't say OMG OVERPAYMENT and then use a contract signed 5 years ago as a comparator. I remember recently, someone was trying to point to Derek Roy as what a second-line 60-70 point centre should be paid ($4M).

Sorry, I guarantee Derek Roy would not have signed a deal with a 4M cap hit today... you'd be looking more at 5-6M. And shockingly enough... with cap inflation, that's exactly what his cap hit is value at in 2012 cap dollars!

$4M today buys you David Jones.
To add to your frustrations, fans will also ***** that their GM doesn't do anything if a guy like David Jones were to sign elsewhere. It's a complete double edged sword.

That being said - market value is market value. I think term plays a bigger role in the contract than some think. 10 years @ 5M vs. 3 years at 6m is just not even comparable price ranges. Shorter term takes care of A LOT of mistakes.

But hey... we will have this dialog over and over again.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Fine young man
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 1268
I agree with the OP. Especially July 1st was comical with everyone acting shocked of an overpayment in every single signing thread...

Fine young man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:24 PM
MuchoMacho

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
3. It stagnates the league. If the league wants small market teams to succeed, then they need to eliminate these contracts. These teams who need to draft, and develop a star just to loose them to a destination market is unacceptable. These players are then locked up and taken off the market for the remainder of their career. "Destination" teams are in a possition to lock up and take away all of the star talents.
I think business wise it should be the league's objective to insure that small market teams can attract free agents, rather than retain their current stars. When your whole plan for equality involves making sure a team can retain the players they drafted, that's what stagnates the league. Trades and free agency are good for the league, not bad.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:55 PM
jskramer83

vCash: 800
I think teams like Pittsburgh should be allowed to lock up guys like Malkin and Crosby for 10 plus years. What I wouldn't mind seeing is the NHL make a rule stating that only a team who holds a players rights can offer them a Contract of more then 7 years.

But as for the inflation, using weber as an example, even if his 7.8 million contract in 10 years is equal to a contract now of 5 mill, do you really think in 10 years Weber will be equal to a 5 mill defenseman now. Probably not, that is part of the risk that comes with siging someone to a contract like this

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
To be fair, this year did have one contract that everyone considered to be a good deal - when we resigned Nikita Nikitin.

...yeah, it's a reach.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:12 PM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerbeSonOfGloin View Post
I can see that, but I think that the default assumption should be inflation and the erosion of value of dollar figures, because that's the natural trend in any healthy economy. I agree with the OP that a lot of people have developed a reflexive sticker-shock at certain numbers (the $7 million mark, the $5 million mark, etc.) There are many who keep pointing out that the cap has risen, that you have to overpay in UFA, etc. but it still doesn't seem to be enough.

Any free agent with medium-high talent seems to get at least $5 million these days. If you're demanding your GM be active in the summer FA pool, try to get used to these figures, and especially don't be a dick in other fanbases' signing threads when they sign a 2nd liner/2nd pairing dman to what is actually just the current going rate.
Actually it's not, with regard to inflation that is. I know I'm off topic, but inflation increases were never anywhere near what they were before the fed existed.
The gov't pays the fed in bonds (IOU's), and the fed prints that money and loans it to the gov't. But when it does this it creates only the principle, and never the interest. There is not enough money in circulation to pay off all the debt that is owed.

dkollidas is offline   Reply With Quote