HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Assuming same salary, same years, Doan or Semin?

View Poll Results: I would rather sign at four years for $6 million per year . . .
Doan 34 22.08%
Semin 97 62.99%
Neither, let's stand pat with what we have for now. 23 14.94%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-19-2012, 08:07 PM
JTG

vCash: 500
Xby.

Haha

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snazzy View Post
Doaner. He'd be great with Xby.

But he has to come in at less than $6m per. I don't care about the 4 years. That's fine. I don't care about $6m. That's fine.

Hell, give him $7.5 next year. That's fine.

The point is the cap hit, and what he'll be making when he's around 40.

7.5 + 6 + 4 + 1.5 = 19m contract (Doan's number).

There, he can make 7.5 AND 6 and we're all still happy with a 4.75m cap hit.
that's the kind of deal I expect Doan to get. Somewhere in that ballpark at least

Ogrezilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:19 PM
PKV Jungle Friends
Gonna Be a Gas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
that's the kind of deal I expect Doan to get. Somewhere in that ballpark at least
100% he gets a deal like this, just not from us.

PKV Jungle Friends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
call him †by

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Heatseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyDump View Post
I read that the Pens offered Doan 2 years 4.5 per. Then I've also read they made a 3 year offer.
If some team is offering him 7.5 million, then have at him. There's no way I even want to come close to that price.

To answer your question, um, wow. 4 years might be too long for Doan. His skating isn't getting any better, nor is he getting any younger. As for Semin, he might only get better in those 4 years, however I'm not sure I trust Semin in a 4 year contract because of his apparent attitude issues, etc.

Tough question. I think I'd go with Semin, only because of age and talent level. The guy is masterful with the puck, has a killer shot, can skate, and would be a sniping winger for Sid.

However, I'd be uneasy with both.
Exactly how I feel as well.

Heatseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:20 AM
EdwardBlake
This is all a joke.

I am a big Doan fan, but Doan at 7.5m is flat out insanity. Pulling full on fanboy mode, which I am not... Merely playing devils advocate with this, I would pay him a max of 5.5m and that's going high. But in this market it seems like every winger is going to get overpaid. Simply saying that'd be the max id peg his value in a top end "gotta have this winger" mindset.

EdwardBlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:55 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
I am a big Doan fan, but Doan at 7.5m is flat out insanity. Pulling full on fanboy mode, which I am not... Merely playing devils advocate with this, I would pay him a max of 5.5m and that's going high. But in this market it seems like every winger is going to get overpaid. Simply saying that'd be the max id peg his value in a top end "gotta have this winger" mindset.
Agreed, wouldn't want him at over a 5 million cap hit and not longer then a 4 year deal. Might as well take our chances with UFA's next summer at this point!

And i'd still prefer Semin on a 2 year deal

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:39 AM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fictionzero View Post
I'm with you. That said, I could see teams front-loading it a bit, so maybe he gets 7.5M or so in year one.

KIRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:10 AM
mpp9

There needs to be some more player movement in this league if we're talking about front loading a contract for a guy like Doan who's past his prime.

mpp9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

It's hard to believe people are still deluding themselves into thinking we'll get Doan. Maybe 1 chance in 50 at this point. Literally.

The ONLY thing that was standing in the way of him re-signing with PHX, has been removed. All flirtations with other GMs from this point is for one thing and one thing only: drive up PHX's price. He will sign in PHX and keep his family happy in the end, just a question of how much.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:58 PM
Lim Ran

vCash: 987
Oh, Doan isn't signing in Pittsburgh.

Doesn't mean I don't want him to (at a reasonable cap hit <- another fantasy).

Last edited by Lim Ran: 07-20-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Lim Ran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

We should just rename this thread "Semin or bust" as in we're either signing him or it's a bust for us this year FA-wise. Usually is. Ray is a deadline guy.

Old
07-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
We should just rename this thread "Semin or bust" as in we're either signing him or it's a bust for us this year FA-wise. Usually is. Ray is a deadline guy.
Next year's UFA right now is what i'd target at this point. Corey Perry is his name

Old
07-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Next year's UFA right now is what i'd target at this point. Corey Perry is his name
Perry is likely to get re-signed during the season but if he's not signed by the deadline that would be the time to get him, not FA. Better able to control the costs and you make the Cup run with him. Perry would = perfect offset to Weber in Philly. I mean perfect. Better than Ryan, better than Parise, better than Nash for that type of game. That said, very unlikely result for next deadline. But it would be great (Ray went after Hossa out of the blue so I'm not ruling it out).

Old
07-20-2012, 01:30 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Perry is likely to get re-signed during the season but if he's not signed by the deadline that would be the time to get him, not FA. Better able to control the costs and you make the Cup run with him. Perry would = perfect offset to Weber in Philly. I mean perfect. Better than Ryan, better than Parise, better than Nash for that type of game.
If they have another crap start, maybe he doesn't want to stay there? Who knows

As for the deadline trade it's a great point but look at Hossa who then walk on us. Much rather know for sure he wants to be here long term

Old
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
If they have another crap start, maybe he doesn't want to stay there? Who knows

As for the deadline trade it's a great point but look at Hossa who then walk on us. Much rather know for sure he wants to be here long term
No reason Shero couldn't tell his agent he has an immediate interest in extending him, once the trade is made. You might not do that with most players but with a sure fit / sure thing like Perry, I'd make the offer right away and take my chances. Perry probably would prefer FA route to signing but if you make him a good enough offer and he likes what he sees of the team he might sign early.

8 yrs, $8M hit... something like that. Give Geno $9M so Perry doesn't get a big head , win Cups.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:09 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
No reason Shero couldn't tell his agent he has an immediate interest in extending him, once the trade is made. You might not do that with most players but with a sure fit / sure thing like Perry, I'd make the offer right away and take my chances. Perry probably would prefer FA route to signing but if you make him a good enough offer and he likes what he sees of the team he might sign early.

8 yrs, $8M hit... something like that. Give Geno $9M so Perry doesn't get a big head , win Cups.
Well it all depends about the new CBA and how long contracts for UFA can be

Old
07-20-2012, 02:13 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Well it all depends about the new CBA and how long contracts for UFA can be
Whatever it is, you max out the offer so no one can best you without massively overpaying. If it's max 6 years, you offer him 6 years at the maximum hit you can afford. In our case that might be a little north of $8M. That's a $3M per year raise to play with the two best C on the planet and win Cups. He'd at least consider it. Skip the foreplay and just give him the home run deal right away.

Old
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Whatever it is, you max out the offer so no one can best you without massively overpaying. If it's max 6 years, you offer him 6 years at the maximum hit you can afford. Skip the foreplay and just give him the home run deal right away.
You ain't going to get any complaints from me regarding such player. I'd do it and that's why I said at this point if it's between an aging Doan, Semin or simply wait for next year i'd probably rather take my chances next summer/deadline whatever it is