HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Oilers re-sign Sam Gagner (1 year) 3.2M

Old
07-20-2012, 12:09 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by They call me Tytan View Post
i have no idea why this guy gets the flak he does ... a very good asset for a team to invest time in ... he is still young, has great pedigree and battles despite his size.

he should be considered part of EDM big 5 up front, no idea why he isnt.
He is because of the position he plays. Defensemen are not what the Oilers lack in the pipeline; its centres. The only others are Lander, and Pitlick and they wont be anymore than 3/4 liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Not trying to flame. It's the truth though, he was in a lot of trade proposals was he not?
He's not involved with every trade proposal and it has nothing to do with him signing a one year deal with the Oilers. I could go into the Leafs thread and say "I guess this means less money for the Leafs to acquire a half decent goaltender" That would also be the truth would it not?

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:10 PM
VinnyC
vancity, c-bus, 'peg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChip01 View Post
I also have no idea why this guy gets so much heat for how young he is. The media and some others labelled him as rushed and broken it seems.

He was playing with Cogliano and Nilsson for a while and still put up numbers. He is so young. How many players at 18 continue to put up 40-50 points right from the get go?
He's still 22, a bit easy to forget that fact since he's already played 5 seasons in the NHL.

VinnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyC View Post
He's still 22, a bit easy to forget that fact since he's already played 5 seasons in the NHL.
RNH goes down and he plays with Hall and Eberle. Coincidence that he put up 15 points in 5 games? He finally has players with his skill set(ok yea they are a lot better than him). He's going to play with a combination of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smyth this season. He'll also get more ice time with Krueger who was quoted by Elliot Friedman saying something along the lines of "in the offensive zone I'll let them be as creative as they want." I just hope that means that Shawn Horcoff isnt logging premium power play time. I cant believe he was getting close to 3 minutes of PP per game. Its a miracle the Oilers had a #3 pp.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I was getting worried that there wouldnt be any flaming in this thread. Thanks for not letting me down Twix

I was hoping for a longer term and was prepared for around 4 million per season. Gagner improved last season defensively, and in face-offs. This could cost the oilers but he'll still be an RFA next off season
Lol. Flaming... You soft bruh! It ain't even. The guy's right.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

Quote:
RNH goes down and he plays with Hall and Eberle. Coincidence that he put up 15 points in 5 games? He finally has players with his skill set(ok yea they are a lot better than him). He's going to play with a combination of Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Hemsky, Paajarvi, Smyth this season. He'll also get more ice time with Krueger who was quoted by Elliot Friedman saying something along the lines of "in the offensive zone I'll let them be as creative as they want." I just hope that means that Shawn Horcoff isnt logging premium power play time. I cant believe he was getting close to 3 minutes of PP per game. Its a miracle the Oilers had a #3 pp.
Might as well blame Horcoff for the Oilers being ranked third on the PP like most are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taunting canadian View Post
On a side note, I'm hoping that someday we can put to bed the notion that a player electing for arbitration means they're pretty much "done with the team" (an idea that some people argued on the Oilers board).

On rare occasions, an arbitration case does get nasty (e.g. Tommy Salo vs Mike Milbury). A little more common, but still pretty rare are the cases where the team walks away from an arbitration award. It seems to me that by far the most common result of an arbitration filing is that the team and player settle on a contract before the hearing. When it does go to a hearing, it's pretty clear that even that's not an automatic death blow for the team/player relationship - Smith captained the Oilers for several years after his.
And that's what I argued on that Oilers thread while everybody was overreacting. I told them he'll get a deal before his hearing. Fell on deaf ears.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:20 PM
DG

Quote:
He's not involved with every trade proposal and it has nothing to do with him signing a one year deal with the Oilers. I could go into the Leafs thread and say "I guess this means less money for the Leafs to acquire a half decent goaltender" That would also be the truth would it not?
Not the same thing.

His post pokes fun at posters on here.

Your post actually attacks the Leafs' ability to manage their team.

Both are actually fine with me, but yours' would be more obnoxious since it's only $2.8M.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Hall, Ebs, Gagner, Yakupov, RNH, Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Hartikainen....that's some pretty good depth up front!

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Lacaar

Sam Gagner seems to be one of those players that can be successful with strong offensive players but has trouble creating space and offensive chances on his own.

He'll probably succeed but price himself out of Edmonton's future. It's always a waiting game with him. Will he improve.. and he has to some extent, just not offensively.

I think if Sam really wants to be in Edmonton long term he'll need to sign a pretty reasonable contract with Edmonton next year.

I think the Oilers really like him and want him to succeed but it's coming to the point where they can't afford to overpay this type of player and that's why we here his name in trade rumors.

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:26 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Not bad. Here's to hoping he can take the the jump to 60-65 points finally.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Not bad. Here's to hoping he can take the the jump to 60-65 points finally.
He can start by breaking 50 first.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:58 PM
playasRus

If I'm the Oiler's I hope he scores 60 pts next year and trade him to a team for a nice decent return. Especially considering they won't want to tie up 5-6mil long term on him with all the elite prospects they have in the pipes.

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
A show me contract?

Gagner gets a decent raise and another yr to show the Oilers, that he can be consistent and put up strong numbers.

Good move on Gagner's part.Being on a line with 1-2 of Eberle, Nail or Hall should have him racking up assists.
Couldn't have said it better.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:12 PM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
He can start by breaking 50 first.
That would be a start. But in his 5th year now, you'd think he's finally adjusted well and ready to take an exponential leap (at least for him). And he'll be playing with much more talented linemates than years past, which should help.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 02:22 PM
Live from Rexall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManByng View Post
Hall, Ebs, Gagner, Yakupov, RNH, Smyth, Hemsky, Horcoff, Paajarvi, Hartikainen....that's some pretty good depth up front!
Dont mean to be a buzzkill but lets at least let these guys earn a spot before we add them to the good depth!

Live from Rexall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Bmessy

17% of his pts came in one game.. These contracts the past couple years for 40pt scorers have been crazy. Can't wait for this next lockout

Bmessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
ManByng
Moroz fan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live from Rexall View Post
Dont mean to be a buzzkill but lets at least let these guys earn a spot before we add them to the good depth!
both have shown at least something in the past and i feel both will probably make the Oil full time next year, so i included them. i'd be surprised if the both ended up in the AHL next year.

ManByng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Mr V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twix View Post
Another year of him in every trade proposal.
As opposed to Franson, bozak and a 2nd?

Mr V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:12 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
both have shown at least something in the past and i feel both will probably make the Oil full time next year, so i included them. i'd be surprised if the both ended up in the AHL next year.
How many roster spots do think there are?

Hall, Eberle, RNH, Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth, Belanger, Yakupov, Eager, Petrell, Jones, Hordichuk

One of them (Pajaarvi) might make it, but both will not. Hartikainen is a good prospect, but not so good that he can't benefit from another year in the AHL.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:13 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmessy View Post
17% of his pts came in one game.. These contracts the past couple years for 40pt scorers have been crazy. Can't wait for this next lockout
I love how his 8 point game is actually being argued as a negative.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
I love how his 8 point game is actually being argued as a negative.
Agreed. Yet when he came back from injury and they tried him as a RW on the 3rd line with Belanger doest matter because it doesnt support the detractors argument.

Old
07-20-2012, 03:25 PM
stryfe604
Believes in Yzergod

And the price of Lou goes up again.

stryfe604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

OH MY GOD HE HAD 8 POINTS IN ONE GAME!! IMAGINE IF HE DIDN'T??

Well... Imagine if he had 3 points in every game he had 0.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalken View Post
OH MY GOD HE HAD 8 POINTS IN ONE GAME!! IMAGINE IF HE DIDN'T??

Well... Imagine if he had 3 points in every game he had 0.
8 point game doesnt count and neither do 0 point games. 3.2 million for a player that had 39 points in 29 games is a steal! Imagine if he scored in all 82 games?????...yea both arguments are stupid.

Old
07-20-2012, 04:46 PM
Crabovski*

Mad respect to him for only signing a 1yr deal in edm under his conditions

Crabovski* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:00 PM
djdub
#6cups

I would find this funny if the Oilers were the one pushing for a 1 year deal and then he goes out and pots 30g and 40a next season. Not saying Gagner will do that, I would just find it funny if the year he breaks out is the year Hall and Ebs are up for their big contracts and then have to buck up 5+ mill/year for Gagner when they could have had a 4 year deal for 4 mill/year.

Could get tough for the Oilers if something like this happens especially if the cap ends up going down in the new CBA. But, knowing Gagner he's going to end up with mid 40s point totals again.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote