HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dick Tarnstrom

Closed Thread

Old
12-02-2003, 08:25 AM
SerbianEagle

vCash: 500
Dick Tarnstrom

Do any of you people here know how much he's making? I just read on Spectors that Boston may have interest in this guy and that Pittsburgh may deal him for a pick. If he isn't making much, he'd be very usefull on the PP and much better than Ferguson and Cross to have.

So I was thinking perhaps Kevin should dangle one of Horcoff, Rita (I wouldn't but it doesn't appear he'll ever get a chance here), Chimmer, or a draft pick.

What do you guys think of this guy?

Old
12-02-2003, 08:29 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Do any of you people here know how much he's making? I just read on Spectors that Boston may have interest in this guy and that Pittsburgh may deal him for a pick. If he isn't making much, he'd be very usefull on the PP and much better than Ferguson and Cross to have.

So I was thinking perhaps Kevin should dangle one of Horcoff, Rita (I wouldn't but it doesn't appear he'll ever get a chance here), Chimmer, or a draft pick.

Tarnstrom makes $1,100,000 according to the NHLPA.

As for trading for Tarnstrom; I would do it; especially if it meant dealing Horcoff.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:33 AM
SerbianEagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
Tarnstrom makes $1,100,000 according to the NHLPA.

As for trading for Tarnstrom; I would do it; especially if it meant dealing Horcoff.
I todays NHL thats rather affordable, so even more incentive to get a guy like that here. So far this year he has 4-7-11 in 22 games on a terrible Pens team

Old
12-02-2003, 08:38 AM
kyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle

Dick Tarnstrom will make us a much more offensive team but will kill us defensively. If we had Chris Pronger then Tarnstrom would help us out but he brings no defense. Much like Sandis Ozolinsh.

I really don't think he's got a spot in Edmonton. Even if we got him for free. But then he would just be a fixture on the powerplay.

Kyle.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:42 AM
SerbianEagle

I'll be honest I haven't seen enough of him to know how good or bad he is defensivelly. I know he puit up good points last year, and so far this year. However if like you say he is as bad as Ozzo defensivelly than we may as well pass. Then again are Cross and fergy better than hi defensivelly? I am not sure, haven't seen enough of the guy to say for sure.

Old
12-02-2003, 08:53 AM
copperandblue

I wouldn't touch Tarnstrom.

I remember last year when he seemed to be playing so well, some of the "hockey experts" (I know, take it how you want) did a bit of an analysis on his play and decided that he was a mediocre player - borderline being labelled a bust, until he played for Pittsburgh. His points in Pittsburgh were almost all associated with Lemieux's points. When Lemieux was out of the lineup Tarnstrom went back to a mediocre player.

Basically they were saying he is a sheep in wolves clothing... so to speak.

Anyone remember that trade Sather made with Vancouver in '81(?) when he traded them Gretzky's winger (Blair MacDonald ?) who had close to 50 goals playing with Gretz and therefore was an attractive player to other teams and then when he was traded he wasn't even able to stick in the NHL? I can't remember who Sather got back but the deal was considered one of his best steals.

To me Tarnstrom really smells like the same kind of player. Someone who can play well with top end talent but will never be good enough to carry the play on his own.

Closed Thread