HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Flyers sign Shea Weber to 14-year offer sheet ($7.857M Cap Hit) (Pt VI)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
And then July 1st, 2013 they have to borrow again.

And then July 1st, 2014 they have to borrow again.

And then July 1st, 2015 they have to borrow again.

And then July 1st, 2016 they have to borrow again.

And then July 1st, 2017 they have to borrow again.
So it's guaranteed that it will be impossible for Nashville's perceived financial situation to improve during that time?

Old
07-20-2012, 05:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boltsfan2029 View Post
They've got 7 days to announce. They may well have already decided to match and are just making Philadelphia and Weber wait it out.
Entirely possible. But if you have made a decision no reason to drag it on.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person but I still cannot even understand why this all came to be. I understand why Weber wants paid. I do not understand, however if he wants out of Nashville so badly, he backs himself into a corner, taking a chance that he might end up with them for 14 or some years. I get why Philly did this. I just don't understand Weber's total thinking about this. He could have waited and had his due time as an UFA... though I guess he would risk possibly not getting that big fat contact full of years. I still see his situation as way more limiting by boxing himself into a corner with one team he supposedly doesn't want to stay with, and another he wants but probably will not end up with anyway.
He signed this deal because he obviously wasn't getting this king of offer from Nashville. And maybe the next CBA changes contract length to 6-8 years. So maybe he is a UFA at age 33-35. Teams might not shell out BIG $ for him next time. Either way for him....he is set for life...in Philly or Nashville

Old
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Boltsfan2029

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Could be many reasons, and they've been outlined. Nashville may be doing it simply because they can. It's within the rules. Why should they announce sooner than they have to? Do they owe it to Philadelphia or Weber?

Philadelphia was within the rules making the offer. Nashville is within the rules using as much of the 7-day period as they wish.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:10 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
My guess is that they haven't made a decision yet. They are probably studying every option and will use all the time they have at their disposal. Too big of a decision to rush into.

Sux for fans, though....

Old
07-20-2012, 05:11 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportserie View Post
I consider myself to be a fairly intelligent person but I still cannot even understand why this all came to be. I understand why Weber wants paid. I do not understand, however if he wants out of Nashville so badly, he backs himself into a corner, taking a chance that he might end up with them for 14 or some years. I get why Philly did this. I just don't understand Weber's total thinking about this. He could have waited and had his due time as an UFA... though I guess he would risk possibly not getting that big fat contact full of years. I still see his situation as way more limiting by boxing himself into a corner with one team he supposedly doesn't want to stay with, and another he wants but probably will not end up with anyway.
If Weber indeed does not want to be in Nashville, he was probably of the mind that he was going to take his chances, knowing full well that the Flyers structured this contract so as to make it incredibly difficult for the Predators to match. I suppose it was a worthy gamble for him, but I imagine that in his mind the stakes can't be TOO high because at the end of the day, wherever he ends up he's getting his 110 mill. He just might have to play in a less preferable place, is all.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
So it's guaranteed that it will be impossible for Nashville's perceived financial situation to improve during that time?
Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. The previous 6 years didn't improve their financial situation and this was a team that was on the rise and became a serious Stanley Cup contender. But I guess, because they might keep a player they already had, the fans and sponsors might flock to Nashville to show their financial support.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:14 PM
wpghockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
My guess is that they haven't made a decision yet. They are probably studying every option and will use all the time they have at their disposal. Too big of a decision to rush into.

Sux for fans, though....
Doesn't suck for fans. This is great drama! What else do we have to look forward to all summer?! Lol!

Old
07-20-2012, 05:15 PM
GlueleG

Quote:

Sux for fans, though....
I think you are dead on.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:17 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpghockey View Post
Doesn't suck for fans. This is great drama! What else do we have to look forward to all summer?! Lol!
Let me rephrase it then.....Sux for Predators and Flyers fans..

Old
07-20-2012, 05:19 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Impossible, no. Improbable, yes. The previous 6 years didn't improve their financial situation and this was a team that was on the rise and became a serious Stanley Cup contender. But I guess, because they might keep a player they already had, the fans and sponsors might flock to Nashville to show their financial support.
Honestly, I feel that the Predators need an offensive star, or something close to it. No matter how great a player Rinne, Weber and Suter are, their faces don't sell nearly as effectively as the likes of Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, the Sedins and Grioux. The more serious, knowledgable Predators fans know just how valuable that trio of Rinne, Suter and Weber are, but the more casual fans don't see the value or greatness of an elite defender as easily as they would see the greatness of a guy who dekes and dangles every game and puts 40+ pucks in the net every year.

It's unfortunate, but I believe it's a reality that you need players like that to drive your business in a smaller market.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
wpghockey

Quote:
Let me rephrase it then.....Sux for Predators and Flyers fans..
Haha nerve wracking for sure!

Old
07-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Roomtemperature

vCash: 923
Quote:
To mess with Philly sounds like a good reason from Nashville's pov

Old
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Frodo Baggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
Say Nashville doesn't match and were to get Voracek, Meszaros and two 1sts from Philly for Weber in return for their four 1st rounders..... then traded both of the other 1st rounders to Calgary for Bouwmeester. I don't see how they would be that bad off adding Bouwmeester, Meszaros and Voracek for Weber.
Really good point you have. Voracek will be a fantastic forward with a little bit of work (mainly on his shot) but hes an extremely creative playmaker and works well on the PP.

Meszaros and bouwmeester would really help them out, even though that's not a Weber - Suter pairing.

Also, next years draft is supposedly loaded with talent. If they can get bouwmeester for one 1st round pick and an average roster player and save PHI's 2013 1st round pick that leaves them with likely an early or middle pick as well as probably a late pick.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
PredsFanFromla

Quote:
Let me rephrase it then.....Sux for Predators fans..

yeah,it does suck for preds fans,nobody can understand how hard it is being a nashville predators fan sometimes

Old
07-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
To mess with Philly sounds like a good reason from Nashville's pov
luckily the GMs are more mature than these ideas being thrown around here. So, I doubt that is going to happen.

Old
TorstenFrings
Co-Trainer

Again, what is this "Weber doesn't want to be there" crap. He signed a 14 year commitment he knew could very well be with Nashville. Holmgren played by the rules in offering it, Weber played by the rules in signing it, Poile plays by the rules in matching it. None of it is kind, none of it is gentlemanly, none of it has any ****ing thing to do with the other parties feelings. Where Weber wants to be is irrelevant right now.

Old
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkoll View Post
luckily the GMs are more mature than these ideas being thrown around here. So, I doubt that is going to happen.
Spite is a strong thing

Old
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Johnsie19

I think its a little unfair towards Nashville in that Philly gets to dictate the structure of the contract that Nashville has to sign. Nashville may have been willing to offer a similar contract but structure in a way that would suit them better. The point I'm trying to make is that I wonder if the NHL might need compensation for offer sheets that are met.

Ie Philly signs Weber to an offer sheet. Nashville doesn't match Philly gives up 4 first round picks we know that. Now what if Nashville does match maybe Philly should have to give up one 2nd round pick.

Reason being it deters teams from dictating contracts for other teams. It was said Philly grew tired of trade talks for Weber and then decided if he's not gonna be traded to us then we're gonna make sure he doesn't go anywhere else. And there is no ramifications for doing this. Not to mention that the aspect that Philly has a lot easier time coming up with up front cash giving rich teams more advantage.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Originally Posted by kratzbuerste View Post
Again, what is this "Weber doesn't want to be there" crap. He signed a 14 year commitment he knew could very well be with Nashville. Holmgren played by the rules in offering it, Weber played by the rules in signing it, Poile plays by the rules in matching it. None of it is kind, none of it is gentlemanly, none of it has any ****ing thing to do with the other parties feelings. Where Weber wants to be is irrelevant right now.
It isnt that Weber does not want to be in Nashville, it is more he would prefer to be in Philly.

But Nashville is an acceptable second choice.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

Quote:
Spite is a strong thing
It's business.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Mkoll
Inkvisiittori

Quote:
Spite is a strong thing
True, can not argue with that. Unfortunately.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Phoenix Coyotes!
True, but there was no lockout uncertainty then. They shouldn't have to keep bailing teams out though.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:34 PM
Roomtemperature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbow Express View Post
It's business.
And how does waiting a week hurt the Predators? They can make signings anyway while hurting the Flyers who they don't like right now. Assuming they know either way

Old
07-20-2012, 05:45 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Could be many reasons, and they've been outlined. Nashville may be doing it simply because they can. It's within the rules. Why should they announce sooner than they have to? Do they owe it to Philadelphia or Weber?

Philadelphia was within the rules making the offer. Nashville is within the rules using as much of the 7-day period as they wish.
It's good PR to just be done with it. They can unequivocally say..."we have money and want to win" ...this is a priority. It doesn't matter to the flyers if they wait until 1 second left.

IMO Suter and weber got here by the preds being cheap, not just to them but overall. These guys want to see the club actively aquiring talent. If any club should have been public about offers it should be the preds..."we were first in line for brad Richards" ect. Instead they offer 4.5 to a Norris candidate and think hall gill, mike fisher, and Paul gaustad are big acquisitions.

They had/have the prospects for a Jeff Carter/mike Richards type deal....your top guys want to see you improve on the ice (fans too) not win the balance sheet.

Closed Thread