HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 05:18 PM
29dryden29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
People who are down on revenue sharing ignore the absolute fact that revenue sharing is good for entire sports leagues, even the teams paying into it.
It has been said and I believe it was Burke and a couple others I think Iilitch in Detroit that they would prefer to be rid of rev sharing. Montreal is on that list also. The haves eventually get tired of supporting the have nots. Not to mention the rev sharing clubs get then get partially taken away to pay for the Yotes.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:20 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 500
The fact still remains that revenue sharing is good for entire sports leagues. Studies have been done on this. It isn't disputed just because some rich guys want to be richer, and some GMs wish they could spend as much money as they like while beating up on teams that cannot.

And I agree with predfan98. If you want to refer to the Predators as a "lower team" or a "have not" it needs to be done on a neutral forum somewhere, not in our forum.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:21 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Are you sure that isn't total arena revenue for hockey games? It says "Nashville Hockey Club" at the top of the page. It very well may not include the money Powers Management makes on other events. $13m seems awfully low for it to be the revenue from every single event in the arena...
Not sure but if there is more arena revenues, the owner probably wouldn't like to put every last cent of it into Shea.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:22 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
It has been said and I believe it was Burke and a couple others I think Iilitch in Detroit that they would prefer to be rid of rev sharing. Montreal is on that list also. The haves eventually get tired of supporting the have nots. Not to mention the rev sharing clubs get then get partially taken away to pay for the Yotes.
Then these rich owners should've not allowed expansion to take place in "non-hockey" markets. But the fact is that they wanted the money that came in the form of expansion fees....They can't have it both ways. Either they want a healthy and strong NHL and be willing to support these teams through revenue sharing or they don't and would prefer to contract the number of teams in the League.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Not sure but if there is more arena revenues, the owner probably wouldn't like to put every last cent of it into Shea.
Maybe not, but I was pointing out that it seems like only part of the story is being told here.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
The fact still remains that revenue sharing is good for entire sports leagues. Studies have been done on this. It isn't disputed just because some rich guys want to be richer, and some GMs wish they could spend as much money as they like while beating up on teams that cannot.

And I agree with predfan98. If you want to refer to the Predators as a "lower team" or a "have not" it needs to be done on a neutral forum somewhere, not in our forum.
I wasn't refering to any team in particular just replying to a post no team names were mentioned. I could have easily said the Panthers or the Yotes or Anaheim etc. I don't want to be specific it is a general comment.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:26 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan98 View Post
this thread is about weber, not about whether Nashville gets revenue sharing. if we have to tolerate all these fans from other teams, at least stop all the discussion of nashville as a "lower team" versus the rich teams.
it's just open season in here on nashville fans wanting to discuss their team
Nobody is dumping on Nashville, this is merely a big market team giving a poisonous contract to an RFA of another team. Flyers fans know that Nashville likely won't match it due to the upfront money, and are trying to drive that point home. Weber will make $27M in the next 12 months, and $26 even if there's no season because that's all bonus money.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:27 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Then these rich owners should've not allowed expansion to take place in "non-hockey" markets. But the fact is that they wanted the money that came in the form of expansion fees....They can't have it both ways. Either they want a healthy and strong NHL and be willing to support these teams through revenue sharing or they don't and would prefer to contract the number of teams in the League.
The owners saw the $ signs and a way to line their pockets further. often times they cant see past that intial cash blindness and greed and after they sit and look at things they often times do not like the end result. It is really a catch 22 for them and for the fans. I also say if the league and teams want rev sharing then they should also have a price structure on tickets that is across the board in all rinks.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:28 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

How about we stop trying to "drive that point home" on our boards? Seriously... we don't need to sit here and be lectured endlessly about the finances of the team right now, especially by fans of the team who is poaching our captain. If Flyers fans want to talk about how the Preds are too broke to match they can do it on their own forum or in the Trade forum.

Thanks.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:29 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
The owners saw the $ signs and a way to line their pockets further. often times they cant see past that intial cash blindness and greed and after they sit and look at things they often times do not like the end result. It is really a catch 22 for them and for the fans. I also say if the league and teams want rev sharing then they should also have a price structure on tickets that is across the board in all rinks.
So you want the league to control ticket prices across the entire league? Yeah, that's a terrible idea.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
So you want the league to control ticket prices across the entire league? Yeah, that's a terrible idea.
If the entire league has to chip in on rev sharing why shouldn't all the teams have the same ticket pricing across the whole league.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:32 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Because of income differences? Differences in supply and demand? The cost of living ranges too widely between all of the cities who have teams? What would you propose the new ticket prices be? Minimum and maximum.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
If the entire league has to chip in on rev sharing why shouldn't all the teams have the same ticket pricing across the whole league.
not sure if you are serious. but that'd never work.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:33 PM
29dryden29

Couldn't edit my post lol. This way teams like Toronto and the HABS and Rags etc have the same ticket prices as teams in PHX and Florida and Dallas etc. Puts all teams and fans on equal footing in that department.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:36 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Because of income differences? Differences in supply and demand? The cost of living ranges too widely between all of the cities who have teams? What would you propose the new ticket prices be? Minimum and maximum.
Base prices at the mean point between the highest priced tickets in top markets and the highest priced tickets in the lower markets you take the price and meet in the middle for high end to low end seats and that way teams with high ticket prices fans get a bit of a break and those that have lower prices their fans will have to fork over a little more pocket money to see the team play but it is equal pricing for all teams across the NHL.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:39 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
How about we stop trying to "drive that point home" on our boards? Seriously... we don't need to sit here and be lectured endlessly about the finances of the team right now, especially by fans of the team who is poaching our captain. If Flyers fans want to talk about how the Preds are too broke to match they can do it on their own forum or in the Trade forum.

Thanks.
Alright, but for the record I'm a Preds fan too, and have posted here too for a while. I especially like the re-signing of McGrattan and the current forward core. Keeping Weber is not impossible, it just would require the owner, Thomas Cigarran, who I believe has the assets for this, to fork over $27M over 1 year. It's not like Shea desperately wants to leave, or he wouldn't have signed a 14-year offer sheet when they almost always end up being matched.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Couldn't edit my post lol. This way teams like Toronto and the HABS and Rags etc have the same ticket prices as teams in PHX and Florida and Dallas etc. Puts all teams and fans on equal footing in that department.
I'd like that, but no. Those teams deliver most of the league's revenues, largely through ticket sales.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
OK so what you're saying is you either jack ticket prices up in cities where the sport is still growing, which is guaranteeing that they will fail, OR talk Toronto, Montreal, etc owners into making less money because they have to lower their ticket prices even though the demand is so high that the extremely high prices are actually where they should be?

You don't do that. When you are setting ticket prices you have to look at the price equilibrium. You don't just set prices because it's "fair", or because it puts teams on "equal footing". It actually doesn't. Teams where demand is lower will see a huge surplus in the amount of unsold tickets they have while teams where the demand is higher will be in the same spot (having people on waiting lists, though they'll be longer) while making less money.

Won't work

Old
07-20-2012, 05:42 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Alright, but for the record I'm a Preds fan too, and have posted here too for a while. I especially like the re-signing of McGrattan and the current forward core. Keeping Weber is not impossible, it just would require the owner, Thomas Cigarran, who I believe has the assets for this, to fork over $27M over 1 year. It's not like Shea desperately wants to leave, or he wouldn't have signed a 14-year offer sheet when they almost always end up being matched.
I'm not saying you can't talk here. I'm just saying try to be a bit more empathetic to the situation around here. We just lost Suter a little over two weeks ago, and learned late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning that Weber could very likely be off to Philly for nothing more than some low first round picks. While you may only intent to provide facts and rational conversation, a lot of us aren't exactly ready for the "rational conversation". We are fans. We are emotional about this, not cold, calculating people who move on at a moment's notice. Hang out all you'd like, but let us be us if you don't mind.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:44 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
OK so what you're saying is you either jack ticket prices up in cities where the sport is still growing, which is guaranteeing that they will fail, OR talk Toronto, Montreal, etc owners into making less money because they have to lower their ticket prices even though the demand is so high that the extremely high prices are actually where they should be?

You don't do that. When you are setting ticket prices you have to look at the price equilibrium. You don't just set prices because it's "fair", or because it puts teams on "equal footing". It actually doesn't. Teams where demand is lower will see a huge surplus in the amount of unsold tickets they have while teams where the demand is higher will be in the same spot (having people on waiting lists, though they'll be longer) while making less money.

Won't work
Just like owners see Rev sharing you can use that same argument for each. Rev sharing means teams with high demand make less money because they are paying it out to the teams in the bottom of the league. You know to make things more fair for them to offset losses etc. So no mater how you do it someone will always lose out.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:46 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

Yeah except with revenue sharing you are sending that money to teams who aren't as financially stable without it, which means the entire league stabilizes. With your idea you are continuing to take money out of the pockets of owners (both with lower ticket prices and with revenue sharing) while also hurting smaller market teams. It's just a bad idea.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Just like owners see Rev sharing you can use that same argument for each. Rev sharing means teams with high demand make less money because they are paying it out to the teams in the bottom of the league. You know to make things more fair for them to offset losses etc. So no mater how you do it someone will always lose out.
Go watch the LNAH for your Canadian only league fix.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:47 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
I'm not saying you can't talk here. I'm just saying try to be a bit more empathetic to the situation around here. We just lost Suter a little over two weeks ago, and learned late Wednesday night/early Thursday morning that Weber could very likely be off to Philly for nothing more than some low first round picks. While you may only intent to provide facts and rational conversation, a lot of us aren't exactly ready for the "rational conversation". We are fans. We are emotional about this, not cold, calculating people who move on at a moment's notice. Hang out all you'd like, but let us be us if you don't mind.
Agreed, I thought for sure both would be back. This is bizarre and typical Ed Snider [Flyers and Comcast owner] behaviour. The man is a living stereotype.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
yianik

NHL should kill this if I get it right. Cap limit on a player is 20%, or $14M on $70M ceiling. So Weber is getting $27M in year one, that doesnt sound right, but Im not a CBA expert obviously. Hope it works out for you guys and that you can keep Weber.

Old
07-20-2012, 05:50 PM
ThirdManIn
Mod Supervisor

I think if the league were going to kill it they would have by now.

Closed Thread