Notices

Offer Sheet Voracek

Old
07-20-2012, 03:35 PM
c4rcy
Power lvls over 9000

vCash: 500
Offer Sheet Voracek

So...I was thinking, Philly might have a tough time with the cap if Nasvhille doesn't match Shea Weber's offer sheet. It to me seemed like a great opportunity to look at Voracek, who is now a great middle 6 forward.

What does Philly not match if we tend an offer sheet? Thinking something like the 4/$16M range.

He's an unsigned RFA this year.

c4rcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Exit Dose

Why does everyone suddenly want to throw out offer sheets? Do we really want to invite payback with Fowler's contract around the corner? Do we even feel safe trading off first round picks on the heels of finishing with the 6th worst record in the NHL?

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:48 PM
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly

**** offer sheets I'd hold on to this years first round pick.

Who knows where it'll be.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:52 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Yeah at this stage we're just too big of a wild card, let alone what might happen the year after if Getz and Perry leave.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:37 PM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I don't think the timing is good for Anaheim.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:50 PM
Koffein

Murray don't like offer sheets. He's warned the other GM's about offer sheeting our players, doubt he'd even concider doing it to some other team.

Koffein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:01 PM
Duck Off
HF needs an App

Offer sheets are a bad idea. Especially with a team like Philly who has deep pockets. If they are pushed for cap space trade for him. Dont waste our 1st and create bad blood with a loaded team.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Paul4587

If we can acquire Voracek without using an offer sheet then I'd be all for it, he's a great player and is only going to get better. I would worry though that we would be completely loaded at RW to the point where it could hurt the development of Palmieri etc. I don't think I've ever seen Voracek play the left side and I'm not sure Palmieri or Etem can play it either?

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:25 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

No, just no.

Lord Flashheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:59 PM
justheducks

Send a message via AIM to justheducks
If we throw any offersheets it needs to be at Jamie Benn for a boatload.
7 years $50 million.
Playing with Getz and Perry would be ridiculous

justheducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Selanne138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Why does everyone suddenly want to throw out offer sheets? Do we really want to invite payback with Fowler's contract around the corner? Do we even feel safe trading off first round picks on the heels of finishing with the 6th worst record in the NHL?
Isnt Fowler safe from offer sheets, similar to how Bobby was safe from them? Not 100% on the specifics, but I thought you have to be in the league X number of years, which is more than three. And honestly they cant afford to offer something we can match, hence the reason were offer sheeting Voracek.

Second point is spot on though. Too much of a risk to be giving away another potential Top 10 pick on the hopes that our forwards rebound/click and the hopes that D works out.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:38 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
Isnt Fowler safe from offer sheets, similar to how Bobby was safe from them? Not 100% on the specifics, but I thought you have to be in the league X number of years, which is more than three. And honestly they cant afford to offer something we can match, hence the reason were offer sheeting Voracek.

Second point is spot on though. Too much of a risk to be giving away another potential Top 10 pick on the hopes that our forwards rebound/click and the hopes that D works out.
If O'Reilly is eligible, then the same would hold for Fowler, providing he plays in the NHL next season.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:48 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post

Bobby wasn't safe from them, he just didn't sign one. If you were 18-21 when the ELC was signed, it takes 3 pro years to get to RFA. 22-23 it takes 2 pro years, 24+ it takes 1 pro year. Those are the same numbers as the required ELC terms for those ages. Section 10.2 of the CBA.

Who knows about what the new CBA will allow, although I can't see the players agreeing to the 3 year ELC with 2 years of club option ELC.

Ducks DVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 08:28 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
Bobby wasn't safe from them, he just didn't sign one. If you were 18-21 when the ELC was signed, it takes 3 pro years to get to RFA. 22-23 it takes 2 pro years, 24+ it takes 1 pro year. Those are the same numbers as the required ELC terms for those ages. Section 10.2 of the CBA.

Who knows about what the new CBA will allow, although I can't see the players agreeing to the 3 year ELC with 2 years of club option ELC.
I think there are also some stipulations about games played. I remember Jack Johnson being exempt because he missed several months with a separated shoulder during his first contract.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Emerald Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koffein View Post
Murray don't like offer sheets. He's warned the other GM's about offer sheeting our players, doubt he'd even concider doing it to some other team.
Unfortunately that is an empty threat by Murray under the current CBA. As we have seen with the Weber offer sheet, a big market club can easily draft an offer sheet with enough bonus money to make it impossible for Murray to match. I'm not saying that Fowler would get an offer sheet for Weber money, but the other GMs would laugh if Murray tried to bluster now.

I really hope this average annual contract value is addressed in the new CBA. The current year cap hit should equal the current year salary outlay - no way Philly could afford this contract offer if they had to account for $26M against their salary cap within the next 1-2 years.

Emerald Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:11 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
If we can acquire Voracek without using an offer sheet then I'd be all for it, he's a great player and is only going to get better. I would worry though that we would be completely loaded at RW to the point where it could hurt the development of Palmieri etc. I don't think I've ever seen Voracek play the left side and I'm not sure Palmieri or Etem can play it either?
Etem is LW

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalvinators View Post
Etem is LW
Are you sure? I've only ever seen him listed as RW or Center.

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:36 PM
Kalvinators
hurrr-durrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
Are you sure? I've only ever seen him listed as RW or Center.
As much as i remember, i believe most goals i`ve seen him score, are from left side.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Paul4587

Etem is definitely a RWer. No idea if he can play the left side or not, scoring goals from a certain side of the ice doesn't mean that's the position you're playing, players switch all the time, especially in the offensive zone.

Old
07-22-2012, 08:17 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
from what I have read and seen Etem is a Left Handed-Right Winger. I believe the transition to Left Wing should be easier then converting a RH-RW to a RH-LW

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:35 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckTech View Post
from what I have read and seen Etem is a Left Handed-Right Winger. I believe the transition to Left Wing should be easier then converting a RH-RW to a RH-LW
While that's true, it's probably a bit early to start pulling him out of his comfort zone; short of him hitting camp like a pro, of course.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:52 PM
DuckTech
In vino veritas

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
While that's true, it's probably a bit early to start pulling him out of his comfort zone; short of him hitting camp like a pro, of course.
I look at this as a band-aide moment, The ducks depth on RW is deep and there is hope that both Palmieri and Perry will be with the team for a while. If Etem wants to crack the team he either needs to be better then these two (and according to this board he is bellow KP as a prospect) or learn to play LW. to which I believe he will be under Bobby Ryan as top 6 LWer. So we either develop him as a LW or he beats out KP or CP for a gig. So back to the Band-aide concept...do we push him to LW - rip the band-aide quickly or pull it off slowly - wait for a top 6 RW spot open up. I think he is strong enough of a player to try to play the Left side and make this team, and make the team better.

DuckTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Exit Dose

There's no reason to force the issue at this moment. We could easily wait a year to try something like that - if it's clear he's good enough for a top six role, but a step or two below what we have at RW. We still need him to be sharp enough to play in the NHL.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:58 PM
Paul4587

If we do keep Perry, Etem and Palmieri over the next few years, at least one of KP or Etem will need to swtich to LW and if they want a spot this year being able to play LW would go a long way to making the team. The only legitimate top 6er who can play LW we have on the roster right now is Ryan.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:32 PM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by justheducks View Post
If we throw any offersheets it needs to be at Jamie Benn for a boatload.
7 years $50 million.
Playing with Getz and Perry would be ridiculous
Ya then we lose Perry and Getzlaf or pay them 10 mil per

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote