HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ''What to do in Montreal'' Thread version 4.0

Old
07-20-2012, 07:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt4776 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm visiting Montreal for the first time for a few days and I'm staying at the Holiday Inn on Viger Ave. I was wondering if there is anywhere to park nearby (long-term) that won't cost me $20 a day like the hotel valet will?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
20$ a day in downtown mtl is about the cheapest you will find
agreed, you're better off leaving the car at the hotel anyways since you can walk pretty much everywhere downtown witch will make you save money from other parking anyways. Try to work something out with the hotel and tell them in was included with the reservation or something

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:02 PM
King Niinimaa*

I don't speak french (or proper english) but I've always wanted to live a year or slightly longer in Montreal. What's the state of echonomy there and how hard would it be to find a job?

King Niinimaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:31 PM
yianik

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Niinimaa View Post
I don't speak french (or proper english) but I've always wanted to live a year or slightly longer in Montreal. What's the state of echonomy there and how hard would it be to find a job?
What do you know how to do ?

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Alexdaman

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Niinimaa View Post
Well it is if you don't speak one of the languages. But Montreal and Quebec's economy has been untouched by the recession and the economy is pretty good.

Alexdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
BK201

Hey guys right now I'm actually in Quebec city but I was wondering my hotel is charging me around 17-18% tax on my room is this normal?

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:53 PM
Galchenyuk94

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
Hey guys right now I'm actually in Quebec city but I was wondering my hotel is charging me around 17-18% tax on my room is this normal?
Yeah. 5% fedral tax, 8.5% provincial tax and 3 or so % lodging tax. Total 16.5% tax minimum

Galchenyuk94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:10 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galchenyuk94 View Post
Yeah. 5% fedral tax, 8.5% provincial tax and 3 or so % lodging tax. Total 16.5% tax minimum
Ok cool thanks for responding

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Eazy T

Hey Montrealers, what's the metal scene in Montreal like? I might go there to see what Montreal has to offer for metal shows.

Eazy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:49 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
Hey Montrealers, what's the metal scene in Montreal like? I might go there to see what Montreal has to offer for metal shows.
Heavy MTL is all you need to know man.

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:53 PM
Eazy T

I checked out this band from Montreal. These guys are good, who are they? Can you Montrealers chime in? I love this music. It reminds me of a band I used to

Old
07-22-2012, 09:04 PM
Alexdaman

in high school I remember that everyone playing an instrument was into metal, except me. Although I respect the technical aspects of it, i'm just not into it.

A friend of mine is lead singer of the band spelldown he's also the manager of café chaos the place you'll want to hang out to check out bands.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Wha...ife/cafe-chaos

It says punk in the article but it's really all hard rock bands and styles that are featured ( punk, metal, hard-rock, glam-rock...)

http://spelldown.net/

Last edited by Alexdaman: 07-22-2012 at 09:12 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 09:15 PM
Eazy T

Quote:
in high school I remember that everyone playing an instrument was into metal, except me. Although I respect the technical aspects of it, i'm just not into it.

A friend of mine is lead singer of the band spelldown he's also the manager of café chaos the place you'll want to hang out to check out bands.

http://www.tourisme-montreal.org/Wha...ife/cafe-chaos

It says punk in the article but it's really all hard rock bands and styles that are featured ( punk, metal, hard-rock, glam-rock...)

http://spelldown.net/
I have heard of this place, Cafe Chaos, tell me more.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy T View Post
I have heard of this place, Cafe Chaos, tell me more.
I'm not a metal-head, but if I was it would be my favorite hang-out. Prices are low since the place is a cooperative which is more about keeping the place true to it's roots than making profit, so be sure to tip the staff cause that's their only salary. The place looks and smells like heavy metal and some of quebec's best beers are on tap.

It's also situated in the latin quarter in downtown Montreal right next to theater st-denis where Just for Laughs is presented every year. The latin quarter is in my opinion the real heart of montreal and there's some of the most fun bars in the province in it.

My favorite http://www.lesaintsulpice.ca/en/

If you like Metal and you're visiting the city be sure to check out café chaos and if you also like blues bistro a jojo is a minute walk from it.

http://www.bistroajojo.com/en/index.php

Last edited by Alexdaman: 07-22-2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 09:34 AM
bhuya71

Hello everyone!

I need advice on going out in MTL! I will be there the Osheaga weekend and am looking to go out for an awesome night clubbing with friends from my exchange in Amsterdam! So I wanna have an awesome time with these guys and want it to be as crazy as our times were in Amsterdam!!!

Best clubs on Friday night would help. By best I mean good prices on drinks and bottle service, lovely people, busy, and good music !

Also, what is the best stripclub to go to with other women and gf (sigh I also don't know why the hell I am doing this but I hope she can have fun given we saw sex shows and peep shows in Amsterdam, ping pong shows in Thailand, and been to various red lights in Europe haha)

Last edited by bhuya71: 07-25-2012 at 09:42 AM.
bhuya71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 02:29 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuya71 View Post
Hello everyone!

I need advice on going out in MTL! I will be there the Osheaga weekend and am looking to go out for an awesome night clubbing with friends from my exchange in Amsterdam! So I wanna have an awesome time with these guys and want it to be as crazy as our times were in Amsterdam!!!

Best clubs on Friday night would help. By best I mean good prices on drinks and bottle service, lovely people, busy, and good music !

Also, what is the best stripclub to go to with other women and gf (sigh I also don't know why the hell I am doing this but I hope she can have fun given we saw sex shows and peep shows in Amsterdam, ping pong shows in Thailand, and been to various red lights in Europe haha)
You won't get a club with a beer cheaper than 9$ in MTL. My favorite

http://www.balroombar.com/

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&ie...ed=0CAMQkwMwAQ

Good intimate classy strip club close to it.

http://kamasutramtl.com/en

https://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&cl...d=0CIIBEPwSMAA

Old
07-26-2012, 02:17 PM
nyrmetros

Hey everyone. I will be traveling with 50 + to montreal for the metrostars vs Impact game. We are staying at the Quality Hotel central ville downtown..... Where is this place... Some members of our group want to check out the bell Centre and the Forum on Friday afternoon, booze it up on game day on Saturday, and tour historical old Montreal on Sunday....

How does your subway system work compared to ours in the city? Where is the cheapest bar in montreal? We have several places in NYC that offer 32oz for $4 or $7 pitchers.... Anything comparable?

And we need the place where we attacked you back in 1775! :-)

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 02:33 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Still refusing to call them the Red Bulls?

Quality Hotel - Champlain map

For bars, check out the first post of this thread.

Transportation and getting to the Bell Centre is also on the first page. Hint: we call the subway Metro.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:20 AM
nyrmetros

And how about the site of Benedict Arnold's invasion?

Old
07-27-2012, 04:43 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
Hey everyone. I will be traveling with 50 + to montreal for the metrostars vs Impact game. We are staying at the Quality Hotel central ville downtown..... Where is this place... Some members of our group want to check out the bell Centre and the Forum on Friday afternoon, booze it up on game day on Saturday, and tour historical old Montreal on Sunday....

How does your subway system work compared to ours in the city? Where is the cheapest bar in montreal? We have several places in NYC that offer 32oz for $4 or $7 pitchers.... Anything comparable?

And we need the place where we attacked you back in 1775! :-)
Montreal subway services any places you'd want to visit and more. In NY you can basically live without owning a car same goes for mtl. You won't find bars with pitchers cheaper than 15$ even the crappy bars don't sell as low as 7$ for a pitcher, I think that it's because alcohol is generally more expensive up here. There is no historical sites for the american independance war, the only war historical sites are at quebec city and about the seven years war between the french and te english battles of ( plains of abraham, ste-foy )

Old
08-02-2012, 06:43 PM
bert

I just got off work Friday and can now go to Osheaga however tickets are sold out for Friday, August, 3rd, 2012. If anyone has any for sale or have any contacts please PM me.

bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:01 AM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Montreal subway services any places you'd want to visit and more. In NY you can basically live without owning a car same goes for mtl. You won't find bars with pitchers cheaper than 15$ even the crappy bars don't sell as low as 7$ for a pitcher, I think that it's because alcohol is generally more expensive up here. There is no historical sites for the american independance war, the only war historical sites are at quebec city and about the seven years war between the french and te english battles of ( plains of abraham, ste-foy )
Montreal conquered!. Ok, well we lost up there, in 2012 and 1775, but we all had a great time! Took over your Metro!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jl8oDxjieYs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfr2bNpfr28

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LouCmCkvmg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6PtuZnU3-k

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pI6PACp8R3w

Old
08-15-2012, 03:08 PM
Alexdaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post

damn!

Last edited by Alexdaman: 08-15-2012 at 03:13 PM.
Old
08-15-2012, 04:27 PM
Shabutie

Hey guys, I've got a few questions about LIVING in MTL.

My employer is offering me a job in MTL (near downtown/old MTL, it's on Notre Dame W.). I'm not a fan of downtown in general, I'm looking for a quiet family-centered neighbourhood that wouldn't be too much of a commute to that area everyday.

Originally I was thinking of living in Laval, then I looked at Brossard, which seems nice upon google streetviews. I'm just looking an area that's away from noise (traffic, people, bars, etc.) but still reasonably close to downtown mtl (30-35mins by car, possibly a bit more by bus). I would like an area that has some trees and parks as opposed to buildings upon buildings.

Which areas should I be looking at? What's convenient but also has good "greenspace"?

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Hey guys, I've got a few questions about LIVING in MTL.

My employer is offering me a job in MTL (near downtown/old MTL, it's on Notre Dame W.). I'm not a fan of downtown in general, I'm looking for a quiet family-centered neighbourhood that wouldn't be too much of a commute to that area everyday.

Originally I was thinking of living in Laval, then I looked at Brossard, which seems nice upon google streetviews. I'm just looking an area that's away from noise (traffic, people, bars, etc.) but still reasonably close to downtown mtl (30-35mins by car, possibly a bit more by bus). I would like an area that has some trees and parks as opposed to buildings upon buildings.

Which areas should I be looking at? What's convenient but also has good "greenspace"?
Are you looking for a condo, apartment, or house?

That area itself isn't bad, in fact. There are some nice places to live around there, and it's not too noisy.

If you want to be far from noise and in a real suburb-like area, then you'd have easy access over the Victoria bridge. Depends on the hours you work, but it's convenient and, outside of rush hour, it's an 8min drive away or so from your work.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Are you looking for a condo, apartment, or house?

That area itself isn't bad, in fact. There are some nice places to live around there, and it's not too noisy.

If you want to be far from noise and in a real suburb-like area, then you'd have easy access over the Victoria bridge. Depends on the hours you work, but it's convenient and, outside of rush hour, it's an 8min drive away or so from your work.
I'm probably looking for a 2bdr apartment or a townhouse. Ideally I'd be spending 700-1000$ per month (higher end only if it's really worth it, I'm trying to save up to buy a house).

I'd be able to set my own working hours, but I figure that 10-6 is the latest I could work in order to get home on time to cook, eat and watch the habs games.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote