HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New CBA - RFA's

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2012, 03:33 PM
  #1
capfit9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
New CBA - RFA's

Would raising compensation levels for RFA's deter other teams from handing out offer sheets ?

Right now it seems as if though some of the good young players whom are about to hit RFA status hold a lot of the leverage when negotiating their contracts. This seems to create a lot of pressure for G.M.'s and leads to handing out big amounts of money with artificial years added to them rather than competing with other teams during free agency. If we were to raise compensation levels for RFA's, I think that would shift some leverage back to G.M.'s trying to negotiate with the RFA's as rival G.M's would be somewhat adverse to handing out offer sheets. I also believe this would impact some of the inflated prices that are paid out to some of the UFA's these days as they would use comparable players in determining their value.

What do you guys think???

sorry if it's too wordy just thinking out loud.

capfit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:37 PM
  #2
Predaleafs
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,069
vCash: 500
I think if they drop the salary cap back to 50 million and stop with the massive inflation that keeps going on.Heres an article that shows some of these numbers.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/20...s-2012-edition

Players salarys are going up because the teams have more money to spend. Keep it at 50-60 million and players wont be making as much as we see.Fourth liners can now get 2 million a season because the cap is at 70 million

Predaleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 03:42 PM
  #3
Mess
Global Moderator
 
Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 59,836
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
Would raising compensation levels for RFA's deter other teams from handing out offer sheets ?

Right now it seems as if though some of the good young players whom are about to hit RFA status hold a lot of the leverage when negotiating their contracts. This seems to create a lot of pressure for G.M.'s and leads to handing out big amounts of money with artificial years added to them rather than competing with other teams during free agency. If we were to raise compensation levels for RFA's, I think that would shift some leverage back to G.M.'s trying to negotiate with the RFA's as rival G.M's would be somewhat adverse to handing out offer sheets. I also believe this would impact some of the inflated prices that are paid out to some of the UFA's these days as they would use comparable players in determining their value.

What do you guys think???

sorry if it's too wordy just thinking out loud.
The NHLPA players are 1/2 the CBA equation, and why would they want to see your suggestion approved?

Its in their best interest to have them lowered even to allow for more movement and competition for their services through bidding wars which increases their earning potential by more offer sheets offered.

__________________
Signature: There is no greater demonstration of Fan patience then to suggest to "Play the Kids " and be willing to accept the consequences of those actions..
Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 04:07 PM
  #4
capfit9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
The NHLPA players are 1/2 the CBA equation, and why would they want to see your suggestion approved?

Its in their best interest to have them lowered even to allow for more movement and competition for their services through bidding wars which increases their earning potential by more offer sheets offered.
That is absolutely true but when you compare where the owners are trying to direct free agency within the CBA with their latest offer, in terms of black and white restrictions i.e., contract length, I think this is a better alternative for both sides whereas the market is controlled through mechanisms like the one above instead of concrete controls that defeat the purpose of a free market.

capfit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:07 PM
  #5
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
how many offer sheets has actually been signed since the new CBA? Kesler, Vanek, Hjalmarsson(or however his name is spelled), Weber, penner anyone else I missed? so 5 in what 7 years? there have been big name players like Doughty, Stamkos, Staal all guys who are All-stars and better players then guys like Kesler(at the time), Hjalmarsson, Penner and were not signed to offersheets. plus there has only been 1 successful Offersheet and it worked out terribly for the Edmonton Oilers.

offersheets imo are not a problem, most of the time teams don't need to worry about them, and I dont think they are driving the price up on players ethier.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 05:31 PM
  #6
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
Would raising compensation levels for RFA's deter other teams from handing out offer sheets ?

Right now it seems as if though some of the good young players whom are about to hit RFA status hold a lot of the leverage when negotiating their contracts. This seems to create a lot of pressure for G.M.'s and leads to handing out big amounts of money with artificial years added to them rather than competing with other teams during free agency. If we were to raise compensation levels for RFA's, I think that would shift some leverage back to G.M.'s trying to negotiate with the RFA's as rival G.M's would be somewhat adverse to handing out offer sheets. I also believe this would impact some of the inflated prices that are paid out to some of the UFA's these days as they would use comparable players in determining their value.

What do you guys think???

sorry if it's too wordy just thinking out loud.
Raise the compensation??????

You are kidding right.

So few RFAs get offer sheets as it is, to the point where many suspect collusion is going on.

If anything they need to change the percieved value of those draft picks.

Phillies 1rst have a much greater potential to be far less valuable then say EDMs or NYIs or even ours for that matter.

The difference in value of top 5 picks compared to 20,30 added up over 4 draft years is MASSIVE.

Picture what it would cost your team to move from say slot 25 to even slot 5 , four years in a row. Let alone , say slot 28-30 into the top 3 or even #1.

For fun lets argue that the leafs did a offer sheet to Bost for Kessel for the same 4 1rst compensation that Nashville is in line for.

Bost would have recieved the 2nd,9th,5th and maybe another top 10.

Now , who wins that deal. Even if you switch Kessel for Weber.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:06 PM
  #7
capfit9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
how many offer sheets has actually been signed since the new CBA? Kesler, Vanek, Hjalmarsson(or however his name is spelled), Weber, penner anyone else I missed? so 5 in what 7 years? there have been big name players like Doughty, Stamkos, Staal all guys who are All-stars and better players then guys like Kesler(at the time), Hjalmarsson, Penner and were not signed to offersheets. plus there has only been 1 successful Offersheet and it worked out terribly for the Edmonton Oilers.

offersheets imo are not a problem, most of the time teams don't need to worry about them, and I dont think they are driving the price up on players ethier.
The reason there haven't been that many offer sheets are because GM's sign their players before free agency even starts at inflated value. they FEAR that their players will get offer sheeted so they overpay them either in terms of AAV or Term. Most of the time when another team offered any of the players they were over-valued at that time (i.e., Ryan Kesler getting $2.5M from Flyers was perceived to be a gross over payment and Nonis got berated for matching it) And it is not about whether the player switches teams or not, it's the perceived inflated value of an RFA.

capfit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:45 PM
  #8
-DeMo-
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Huntsville Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,273
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
The reason there haven't been that many offer sheets are because GM's sign their players before free agency even starts at inflated value. they FEAR that their players will get offer sheeted so they overpay them either in terms of AAV or Term. Most of the time when another team offered any of the players they were over-valued at that time (i.e., Ryan Kesler getting $2.5M from Flyers was perceived to be a gross over payment and Nonis got berated for matching it) And it is not about whether the player switches teams or not, it's the perceived inflated value of an RFA.
don't agree with your first sentence please provide examples. 3 all-stars in the last 2 years went beyond july 1st, Stamkos, Doughty, Staal and none signed offersheets. offersheets are rare and not because there isn't talent available. it's because most of the time teams know the other team will match

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:45 PM
  #9
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by capfit9 View Post
The reason there haven't been that many offer sheets are because GM's sign their players before free agency even starts at inflated value. they FEAR that their players will get offer sheeted so they overpay them either in terms of AAV or Term. Most of the time when another team offered any of the players they were over-valued at that time (i.e., Ryan Kesler getting $2.5M from Flyers was perceived to be a gross over payment and Nonis got berated for matching it) And it is not about whether the player switches teams or not, it's the perceived inflated value of an RFA.
Sorry Cap, but i don't see how it's inflated value.

Ones value is what even just 1 GM is willing to pay.

It's not all about comparables to what others are making.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 06:47 PM
  #10
Faltorvo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 10,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
don't agree with your first sentence please provide examples. 3 all-stars in the last 2 years went beyond july 1st, Stamkos, Doughty, Staal and none signed offersheets. offersheets are rare and not because there isn't talent available. it's because most of the time teams know the other team will match
IIRC 5 offer sheets in 7 years, smells more like collusion then any issue with the RFA set up.

What i don't like about the RFA set up is that not all 1rsts are equal in value.

RFA does favor the strong teams when it comes to chasing the top RFAs.

LMAO! imagine if this was EDM doing this 4 years ago.

MSP,Hall,RNH,Yak, now would anyone be *****en that they lost Weber.

Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.