HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

how to get on a junior B team?

Old
07-17-2012, 11:17 PM
buffalo GM

vCash: 500
how to get on a junior B team?

How do i get into the KIJHL or the PIJHL? do teams have tryouts or do i need to be selected? I plan on playing junior B next year, then moving up to the BCHL.. What is the best path? I appreciate any help.

buffalo GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:43 PM
Jacob8hockey*
Maple Leaf Fan

What did you play this year and you would be invited to camp. Im not sure if you can just go to a tryout but you may be able to make an even lower divison (D) and impress and get called up.

I know my cousin played some B before he got injured and had his career end. Not sure if he got an invite or went for a tryout but he did play AAA before.

And by junior B i mean that farm team for an OHL team so you may be talking about something different but it might be the same thing.

Jacob8hockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2012, 11:48 PM
epo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsJacob8 View Post
What did you play this year and you would be invited to camp. Im not sure if you can just go to a tryout but you may be able to make an even lower divison (D) and impress and get called up.

I know my cousin played some B before he got injured and had his career end. Not sure if he got an invite or went for a tryout but he did play AAA before.

And by junior B i mean that farm team for an OHL team so you may be talking about something different but it might be the same thing.
That would most likely be junior A. I got invited to a junior A camp after high school even though I wouldn't be good enough.

epo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:27 PM
Analyzer*

vCash: 50
To play Jr. B I'm quite certain you get asked, or invited to try out. You have to play a high level of hockey (AAA), to get invited. Might still get an invite if you played AA, but were head and shoulders better than the rest of your team and most of the league.

Some will hold open tryouts.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 04:49 PM
donkers*

It doesn't hurt to go out there and get your hands dirty. Put together a highlight tape and send them to some coaches. Get in their face. Shake their hands and make them remember you.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:06 PM
Grinder89

While most teams invite players to tryout you may get some teams holding open tryouts. I would imagine these would be happening really soon.

Lower level Junior teams for the most part are always looking for players, especially from the mid season on thanks to injuries, call-ups and players leaving the team. So if you can't hook up now with a team, keep on expressing your interest to teams and you might get a call mid-season.

Your best bet is to look at a teams website and contact information and contact them directly to see if they hold open tryouts. It never hurts to give them your information and like I said, you may get a call mid-season.

Your best bet would be to look up the team standings from last season and try to contact the lower level teams. In Junior around my area, the teams with the better records are the ones who usually put in a lot of time to recruit and scout players. These type of teams rarely hold open tryouts.

Good Luck and stay determined. I guarntee if you contact enough teams and show persistance you will get a chance with someone!

Grinder89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Trevor3

It all depends on the town/city, province, league and team. I got on with a junior B team via an open tryout they held to find depth guys to complement the established/recruited guys. Ended up getting on the opening night roster and finished the season as a PK'er and eventually named an alternate captain.

There were a bunch of guys who tried out, ended up on the reserve list but didn't play until half way through the season and eventually became valuable players (another a.captain, my D partner etc...)

Honestly, it depends on the situation a team is in with regard to attracting players and what kind of draft structure a league has. Our league has a draft but each team can hold a tryout to identify and protect so many local players. It's meant to keep teams connected to the community and help them at the gate.

In BC, I have no idea how the structure works but my advice is to keep your eyes open for a tryout at any level if you haven't been invited to any team camps and try to impress so you can move up.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:45 PM
SkateThroughIt

My buddy played pro baseball and the best advice I (we) could give you is don't be afraid to call. Call the coach, call the front office, call everyteam. Have confidence in your game. Hopefully you have some stats, or video. If not that's okay. Just make sure your good enough. A lot of people don't realize how good a lot of these kids are.

SkateThroughIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:30 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor3 View Post
It all depends on the town/city, province, league and team. I got on with a junior B team via an open tryout they held to find depth guys to complement the established/recruited guys. Ended up getting on the opening night roster and finished the season as a PK'er and eventually named an alternate captain.

There were a bunch of guys who tried out, ended up on the reserve list but didn't play until half way through the season and eventually became valuable players (another a.captain, my D partner etc...)

Honestly, it depends on the situation a team is in with regard to attracting players and what kind of draft structure a league has. Our league has a draft but each team can hold a tryout to identify and protect so many local players. It's meant to keep teams connected to the community and help them at the gate.

In BC, I have no idea how the structure works but my advice is to keep your eyes open for a tryout at any level if you haven't been invited to any team camps and try to impress so you can move up.
Whoa, Junior B leagues hold a draft in Canada? That's intense. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the Empire Jr. B league over here holds a draft. I think the way kids get on the teams is usually through their previous minor hockey programs. Like, let's say you play Midgets at a AAA level with the rink closest to you, you'll either move up to their Junior team or try out for another Junior team somewhere nearby.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote