HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-20-2012, 08:49 PM
  #951
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Haha I knew you'd take the bait. The fact that Holmgren envisioned this meant Poile should have too. And really, its not that big of a stretch, even if it is the first time it's happened.

Think about it, cash strapped team lets best defenseman on the planet go to RFA. The player comes by to kick the tired, and the GM wants him. So how does that happen without the other team marching?

Hit he other team right where it hurts, with upfront money and uninsurable bonuses. It's actually a pretty shrewd and savvy move, even though it is a d move also.

I wish our GM had those stones. But I'm sure you still foregive him. Actualy, do you? Do you think blameless in this, and if so, what do you blame him for?

If you'd bother to read you would notice where I said the information isn't in the public domain to know if this summer is the fault of Poile or the ownership. (reading is fundamental) If he was given permission to make deals with similar structures to what Suter and Weber accepted, the blame is on Poile. If he had limitations placed on his negotiations or contract structure that prevented him from making such front loaded deals, the blame goes to the owners. The problem we have doesn't appear to be an ability to pay over time, it is short term liquidity to front load deals with huge signing bonuses. Then again, we don't have the Comcast chairman as our owner, or Pegula, or even Liepold ... we have an ownership group that has done it's best to right the ship financially while .

The two big signing bonus teams this year had DIRECT involvement of the ownership in green lighting such deals. That's one thing that gets glossed over in the rush to assign blame here.

Nice try trying to tell me what I would or wouldn't say regarding Poile. All you demonstrated is that you haven't kept up with the discussion here.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 08:54 PM
  #952
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Anyone else think Poile matches?

ninetynine* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 08:58 PM
  #953
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Anyone else think Poile matches?
Poile will neither match nor refuse this deal. A contract with this structure requires ownership approval. It's their money on the line ... it's their risk acceptance needed with so much uninsured contract over the first six years ... such an offer required their permission to make in the first place (even in Philly's case).

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:01 PM
  #954
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Poile will neither match nor refuse this deal. A contract with this structure requires ownership approval. It's their money on the line ... it's their risk acceptance needed with so much uninsured contract over the first six years ... such an offer required their permission to make in the first place (even in Philly's case).
Anyone else think Poile matches [ownership approval was implied]?

ninetynine* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:04 PM
  #955
hockey diva
Registered User
 
hockey diva's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beleriand
Posts: 1,262
vCash: 500
No. He does not and we make ourselves comfortable in the 10-12 spot for a few years.

hockey diva is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:10 PM
  #956
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Anyone else think Poile matches [ownership approval was implied]?
Poile is just one of many votes in this decision. Cogen, Cigarran, Henry, Kennedy all get a big say in this. From a personnel standpoint it is a no brainer to keep him, but, this isn't a personnel decision. It's a purely financial decision at this point. It's how does the team pay $68million in bonus money between now and July 1st, 2017 (not even a five year span) on top of his paragraph one salary .... if they can actually pay that, what impact does it have on the rest of personnel options and team operations as a whole ... is it worth the risk to sign him for so much money that they can't recoup through insurance ... all $$$$$$$$ decisions.

If Poile had been authorized to make a deal with a similar structure, this is an automatic match situation. The fact that the team needs to go through such consideration to accept or reject the offer sheet indicates to me that Poile wasn't given permission for a deal of this structure.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:10 PM
  #957
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey diva View Post
No. He does not and we make ourselves comfortable in the 10-12 spot for a few years.
Comments like that can fill my closets for decades to come.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:13 PM
  #958
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
I think it's monday before we hear anything, and that's just to give Poile and Co. time to get their sales pitch to the fans ready. They need to present a unified message and a solid plan going forward without Weber.

The risk is too much and the money is a small part of that. It's about the timing and the health of Weber. If Shea's head hadn't been dinged a few times, and if there wasn't a work stoppage looming, it's a different story. But with that injury history, and being unable to insure the bulk of the contract, that's a very risky situation. But worse is the bonus money due, and the almost certain work stoppage. That means that there is no hockey money coming in, yet Weber gets his bonus money no matter what. Not only are they facing an unknown period of time with no ticket revenue at all, but the other part of that is that when hockey does return it's almost certain that ticket sales will be down.

And then there's the double-whammy factor. Let's say there's a work stoppage next season, the Preds are shelling out huge money for Weber anyway. Then at some point in the next 2-3 years Weber suffers a Crosby-like concussion.

As much as we want the team to prove that they're major players, this contract isn't the one to do it. It has way too much possibility of proving just the opposite, that they can't sustain a contract like this, and it leads to the end of the NHL in Nashville.

At least with the picks (or whatever those are traded for), the team can go through a few down seasons and have a chance to build back to the point they were at last season. With Weber's contract, they almost surely don't have that opportunity because they either lose way too much money by paying his bonuses, or his contract prevents any sort of decent team from being built around him.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:23 PM
  #959
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If you'd bother to read you would notice where I said the information isn't in the public domain to know if this summer is the fault of Poile or the ownership. (reading is fundamental) If he was given permission to make deals with similar structures to what Suter and Weber accepted, the blame is on Poile. If he had limitations placed on his negotiations or contract structure that prevented him from making such front loaded deals, the blame goes to the owners. The problem we have doesn't appear to be an ability to pay over time, it is short term liquidity to front load deals with huge signing bonuses. Then again, we don't have the Comcast chairman as our owner, or Pegula, or even Liepold ... we have an ownership group that has done it's best to right the ship financially while .

The two big signing bonus teams this year had DIRECT involvement of the ownership in green lighting such deals. That's one thing that gets glossed over in the rush to assign blame here.

Nice try trying to tell me what I would or wouldn't say regarding Poile. All you demonstrated is that you haven't kept up with the discussion here.
Oh this is rich. Now we don't have enough info to know if Poile is inept.

You think we ever will? You think the owners are gonna come out and say "we tied his hands?"

How much more do you need to see from Poile? What's it going to take:
- No all star offensive players drafted, ever. Check
- never acquired the top line offensive player, despite 5 years of trying, check
- Gave bad contracts Erat, Legwand, Dumont with no move clauses, check
- Signed a mush head Lombardi to an uninsured contract, check
- Trades away 1st rounders for more grinders, then overpays them, check
- has never done dick in the playoffs in 30 years of trying.
- forgets to fax QOs to the RFAs last summer(or no enough info on that either?)
- has completely crapped the bed for 18 months in negotiations with Weber/Suter, and has gotten shown up by multiple GMs.

Face it the guys a loser.

Now go ahead and respond that it's the owners, or talk of 40 win seasons, or consecutive playoff berths, or other miserable franchises that have had a worse decade than us. Blah blah blah.

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:33 PM
  #960
Firestorm
Registered User
 
Firestorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Canada Eh?
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,064
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Oh this is rich. Now we don't have enough info to know if Poile is inept.

You think we ever will? You think the owners are gonna come out and say "we tied his hands?"

How much more do you need to see from Poile? What's it going to take:
- No all star offensive players drafted, ever. Check
- never acquired the top line offensive player, despite 5 years of trying, check
- Gave bad contracts Erat, Legwand, Dumont with no move clauses, check
- Signed a mush head Lombardi to an uninsured contract, check
- Trades away 1st rounders for more grinders, then overpays them, check
- has never done dick in the playoffs in 30 years of trying.
- forgets to fax QOs to the RFAs last summer(or no enough info on that either?)
- has completely crapped the bed for 18 months in negotiations with Weber/Suter, and has gotten shown up by multiple GMs.

Face it the guys a loser.

Now go ahead and respond that it's the owners, or talk of 40 win seasons, or consecutive playoff berths, or other miserable franchises that have had a worse decade than us. Blah blah blah.
Gotcha, let us know when we should plan the mass suicide of Preds fans...

[sarcasm]

Firestorm is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:37 PM
  #961
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Oh this is rich. Now we don't have enough info to know if Poile is inept.

You think we ever will? You think the owners are gonna come out and say "we tied his hands?"

How much more do you need to see from Poile? What's it going to take:
- No all star offensive players drafted, ever. Check
- never acquired the top line offensive player, despite 5 years of trying, check
- Gave bad contracts Erat, Legwand, Dumont with no move clauses, check
- Signed a mush head Lombardi to an uninsured contract, check
- Trades away 1st rounders for more grinders, then overpays them, check
- has never done dick in the playoffs in 30 years of trying.
- forgets to fax QOs to the RFAs last summer(or no enough info on that either?)
- has completely crapped the bed for 18 months in negotiations with Weber/Suter, and has gotten shown up by multiple GMs.

Face it the guys a loser.

Now go ahead and respond that it's the owners, or talk of 40 win seasons, or consecutive playoff berths, or other miserable franchises that have had a worse decade than us. Blah blah blah.

If Poile was AUTHORIZED to make a deal with a similar structure to the offer sheet, why wasn't it immediately matched? Either Poile is getting permission for such deals and not making them, or the owners aren't giving such permission. The response to the offer sheet indicates the latter.

-No allstar forwards drafted - false
-Never acquired top line forward - debatable. Fisher is a top 15 scoring center. Another fact you seem not to know.
-Your list of bad contracts fails comparison of hit/salary to performance.
-Signs Lombardi, one of the most sought forwards of his FA year, to an uninsured contract - true. Now you're complaining we should sign Weber to an even riskier uninsurable contract. Pick a position.
-Gaustad's new contract is comparable to his old one as percentage of cap. Again, comparative analysis you failed to do.
-His teams have never made the Cup finals is true. We could list numerous other teams that applies to, but, that would be a waste of perfectly good information. It appears you'd ignore the information anyway.
-The QO issue, never proven, never fought by the NHLPA, just an accusation which the league said was false.

"Blah.Blah.Blah" is the least factually challenged thing you've said. Let me know when you want to discuss events based on facts, not rants.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:37 PM
  #962
AEM6729
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think it's monday before we hear anything, and that's just to give Poile and Co. time to get their sales pitch to the fans ready. They need to present a unified message and a solid plan going forward without Weber.

The risk is too much and the money is a small part of that. It's about the timing and the health of Weber. If Shea's head hadn't been dinged a few times, and if there wasn't a work stoppage looming, it's a different story. But with that injury history, and being unable to insure the bulk of the contract, that's a very risky situation. But worse is the bonus money due, and the almost certain work stoppage. That means that there is no hockey money coming in, yet Weber gets his bonus money no matter what. Not only are they facing an unknown period of time with no ticket revenue at all, but the other part of that is that when hockey does return it's almost certain that ticket sales will be down.

And then there's the double-whammy factor. Let's say there's a work stoppage next season, the Preds are shelling out huge money for Weber anyway. Then at some point in the next 2-3 years Weber suffers a Crosby-like concussion.

As much as we want the team to prove that they're major players, this contract isn't the one to do it. It has way too much possibility of proving just the opposite, that they can't sustain a contract like this, and it leads to the end of the NHL in Nashville.

At least with the picks (or whatever those are traded for), the team can go through a few down seasons and have a chance to build back to the point they were at last season. With Weber's contract, they almost surely don't have that opportunity because they either lose way too much money by paying his bonuses, or his contract prevents any sort of decent team from being built around him.

I understand everything you're saying, but I don't see how the owners can't match. If they don't, they expose themselves to be liars. I understand the intricacies of the contract, the CBA, the insurance issues, etc...but most casual fans don't. The effect of losing Weber will be crippling to our fan base, to our ability to attract top-notch players, etc.

The Pens were willing to sign Crosby to a monster, uninsurable contract because he is the cornerstone of their franchise. If our owners are serious about spending with the big dogs in this league, then they'll do the same thing.

AEM6729 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:41 PM
  #963
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
I think it's monday before we hear anything, and that's just to give Poile and Co. time to get their sales pitch to the fans ready. They need to present a unified message and a solid plan going forward without Weber.

The risk is too much and the money is a small part of that. It's about the timing and the health of Weber. If Shea's head hadn't been dinged a few times, and if there wasn't a work stoppage looming, it's a different story. But with that injury history, and being unable to insure the bulk of the contract, that's a very risky situation. But worse is the bonus money due, and the almost certain work stoppage. That means that there is no hockey money coming in, yet Weber gets his bonus money no matter what. Not only are they facing an unknown period of time with no ticket revenue at all, but the other part of that is that when hockey does return it's almost certain that ticket sales will be down.

And then there's the double-whammy factor. Let's say there's a work stoppage next season, the Preds are shelling out huge money for Weber anyway. Then at some point in the next 2-3 years Weber suffers a Crosby-like concussion.

As much as we want the team to prove that they're major players, this contract isn't the one to do it. It has way too much possibility of proving just the opposite, that they can't sustain a contract like this, and it leads to the end of the NHL in Nashville.

At least with the picks (or whatever those are traded for), the team can go through a few down seasons and have a chance to build back to the point they were at last season. With Weber's contract, they almost surely don't have that opportunity because they either lose way too much money by paying his bonuses, or his contract prevents any sort of decent team from being built around him.
I was guessing Tuesday. Either an immediate response or one in the last 48 hours with nothing coming out over the weekend is usually a good guess, and we've gone long past an immediate response.

The one indicator here is that if Poile was authorized to make a deal with a similar structure to the offer sheet, matching would be an automatic from the ownership. That hasn't happened which leads me to believe the owners never blessed off on a huge front loaded deal like this.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:43 PM
  #964
ilikeblocks
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
I'm becoming fine with Weber walking. It's just not a risk worth taking.

ilikeblocks is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:44 PM
  #965
Legionnaire11
Registered User
 
Legionnaire11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hendersonville
Country: United States
Posts: 2,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I understand everything you're saying, but I don't see how the owners can't match. If they don't, they expose themselves to be liars. I understand the intricacies of the contract, the CBA, the insurance issues, etc...but most casual fans don't. The effect of losing Weber will be crippling to our fan base, to our ability to attract top-notch players, etc.

The Pens were willing to sign Crosby to a monster, uninsurable contract because he is the cornerstone of their franchise. If our owners are serious about spending with the big dogs in this league, then they'll do the same thing.
Put yourself in the owners shoes. I'd much rather be viewed as a liar in the short term, and still give myself a chance to re-build the team and earn back the loyalty of the fans vs watching millions of dollars basically be flushed down the toilet and be left hoping to recoup my losses through selling the team, which also leaves you looking like an even bigger liar after you stepped to save the team in the first place.

Legionnaire11 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:47 PM
  #966
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
I understand everything you're saying, but I don't see how the owners can't match. If they don't, they expose themselves to be liars. I understand the intricacies of the contract, the CBA, the insurance issues, etc...but most casual fans don't. The effect of losing Weber will be crippling to our fan base, to our ability to attract top-notch players, etc.

The Pens were willing to sign Crosby to a monster, uninsurable contract because he is the cornerstone of their franchise. If our owners are serious about spending with the big dogs in this league, then they'll do the same thing.
If you tell your husband he can buy a new car do you expect him to finance it with X per year over say five years or for him to walk out and drop 50% down on a Ferrari? When you buy your season tix, do you afford them based on a cost across a year or 2/20 ... or drop all the money up front? For many of us, we can afford a lot of money over time but can't drop huge percentages of that same expenditure on day one. This is an entire nearly best case year's gross gate receipts payable to Rinne and Weber across 50 week if the offer is matched. $68mil of bonus money paid in less than five years if matched. $27mil to Weber in 50 weeks if matched.

Crosby's contract pays less in the first six years than Weber receives in signing bonus money alone. Crosby's contract is also potentially insurable for concussions and totally insurable for other injuries while none of Weber's bonus money is. There is almost no risk mitigation possible with the offer sheet.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 09:56 PM
  #967
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherHockeyFan View Post
Gotcha, let us know when we should plan the mass suicide of Preds fans...

[sarcasm]
Well, I guess it's right after we dress up in white robes, drink some poison koolaid, lay down on the floor and wait for the Poile Comet to come and save us. Cause the great Poile is infallible!!

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:07 PM
  #968
Brozgalov
Registered User
 
Brozgalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
This is going to sound really stupid I suppose... but here goes....

I am obviously a Flyers fan, and I desperately want Shea on our team. However, I don't think it's worth what is going to happen to Nashville if this occurs... I am a hockey fan too, and this is just terrible. I understand and love Mr. Snider for doing anything he can to win, and I guess I'm not angry at him for trying this, but it just doesn't seem right.

I really hope some sort of deal is worked out and we trade some players back to you guys that are exciting to watch. If Voracek is indeed one of those players, I really hope you guys get excited to watch him play. He is truly talented. I am by no means saying he is Shea Weber, but he's young, has 4 years of experience already and extremely talented. I don't want to see him go, but I'd rather give SOMETHING up for this return.

Obviously any hockey fan would want Weber on their team, but at the same time I am kind of hoping Nashville matches.

I feel for you guys and honestly I am not going to claim to know what it must feel like for this to happen. Just remember that your coach is phenomenal, your scouts are great and your goalie is great. Maybe Weber stays, maybe he goes, but your team will survive and thrive. It will only be a few more years before a similar situation will happen and Poile will have the owners attention next time.

Either way, I just want the decision to be made already...

Brozgalov is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:14 PM
  #969
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19
 
gopreds19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,191
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If Poile was AUTHORIZED to make a deal with a similar structure to the offer sheet, why wasn't it immediately matched? Either Poile is getting permission for such deals and not making them, or the owners aren't giving such permission. The response to the offer sheet indicates the latter.

-No allstar forwards drafted - false
Really? Who? Some guy from his Capitals? Nice argument.

-Never acquired top line forward - debatable. Fisher is a top 15 scoring center. Another fact you seem not to know.
Really, Mike Fisher? Underwood's husband? I don't think any center finishing outside the top-30 in points should be considered a Number 1 Center. And you're begging if you're hanging your hat on Fisher as that true offensive threat we've always needed. Fisher is a nice player though, big deal.
-Your list of bad contracts fails comparison of hit/salary to performance.
Ah yes, the ever so important "hit/salary to performance" banner that we raise every year, and then have a parade for. Geez.
-Signs Lombardi, one of the most sought forwards of his FA year, to an uninsured contract - true.
Now you're complaining we should sign Weber to an even riskier uninsurable contract. Pick a position.
I'm not complaining that we should or shouldn't, given that we're here we should sign it, but my complaint is we're here in the first place (bad management).
-Gaustad's new contract is comparable to his old one as percentage of cap. Again, comparative analysis you failed to do.
Again, more meaningless pocket-protecting analysis. Gaustad also is a bit player without much left in the tank, underwhelmed in the playoffs, and not worth either the pick to acquire him or the salary to re-sign him.
-His teams have never made the Cup finals is true. We could list numerous other teams that applies to, but, that would be a waste of perfectly good information. It appears you'd ignore the information anyway.
Here it comes, I knew you'd eventually go with the "but Toronto sucks worse argument"
-The QO issue, never proven, never fought by the NHLPA, just an accusation which the league said was false.
And here comes the not enough info excuse again.

"Blah.Blah.Blah" is the least factually challenged thing you've said. Let me know when you want to discuss events based on facts, not rants.
No thanks. You've been singing the same song for 5 years. According to you, Poile has never made a mistake. Whenever Poile does retire/get fired/die I bet we hear less from you cause you must be related to him. That's the only explanation for the undying love-fest. It's okay to not love every decision Poile has ever made, I promise I won't think less of you.

gopreds19 is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
  #970
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
This is going to sound really stupid I suppose... but here goes....

I am obviously a Flyers fan, and I desperately want Shea on our team. However, I don't think it's worth what is going to happen to Nashville if this occurs... I am a hockey fan too, and this is just terrible. I understand and love Mr. Snider for doing anything he can to win, and I guess I'm not angry at him for trying this, but it just doesn't seem right.

I really hope some sort of deal is worked out and we trade some players back to you guys that are exciting to watch. If Voracek is indeed one of those players, I really hope you guys get excited to watch him play. He is truly talented. I am by no means saying he is Shea Weber, but he's young, has 4 years of experience already and extremely talented. I don't want to see him go, but I'd rather give SOMETHING up for this return.

Obviously any hockey fan would want Weber on their team, but at the same time I am kind of hoping Nashville matches.

I feel for you guys and honestly I am not going to claim to know what it must feel like for this to happen. Just remember that your coach is phenomenal, your scouts are great and your goalie is great. Maybe Weber stays, maybe he goes, but your team will survive and thrive. It will only be a few more years before a similar situation will happen and Poile will have the owners attention next time.

Either way, I just want the decision to be made already...
My biggest issue with Snider is that he authorized this offer after the owners' CBA proposal would have eliminated almost every aspect of this ... term, cascading salary, signing bonuses, etc. If it weren't a CBA negotiation year and he was operating within an existing agreement that wasn't under review ... got it, he's using the existing rules to try to screw an other team to get an asset he wants. Fehr is going to use this offer against the owners to tank any effort to eliminate the crazy deals we've seen this summer and to a limited amount, last summer (particularly Brad Richards).

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:18 PM
  #971
cleangene
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Poile is just one of many votes in this decision. Cogen, Cigarran, Henry, Kennedy all get a big say in this. From a personnel standpoint it is a no brainer to keep him, but, this isn't a personnel decision. It's a purely financial decision at this point. It's how does the team pay $68million in bonus money between now and July 1st, 2017 (not even a five year span) on top of his paragraph one salary .... if they can actually pay that, what impact does it have on the rest of personnel options and team operations as a whole ... is it worth the risk to sign him for so much money that they can't recoup through insurance ... all $$$$$$$$ decisions.

If Poile had been authorized to make a deal with a similar structure, this is an automatic match situation. The fact that the team needs to go through such consideration to accept or reject the offer sheet indicates to me that Poile wasn't given permission for a deal of this structure.
Someone's been saying all along..THE MONEY IS THERE, THE MONEY IS THERE, THE MONEY IS THERE.

cleangene is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:19 PM
  #972
ninetynine*
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Behind you...
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
If you tell your husband he can buy a new car do you expect him to finance it with X per year over say five years or for him to walk out and drop 50% down on a Ferrari? When you buy your season tix, do you afford them based on a cost across a year or 2/20 ... or drop all the money up front? For many of us, we can afford a lot of money over time but can't drop huge percentages of that same expenditure on day one. This is an entire nearly best case year's gross gate receipts payable to Rinne and Weber across 50 week if the offer is matched. $68mil of bonus money paid in less than five years if matched. $27mil to Weber in 50 weeks if matched.

Crosby's contract pays less in the first six years than Weber receives in signing bonus money alone. Crosby's contract is also potentially insurable for concussions and totally insurable for other injuries while none of Weber's bonus money is. There is almost no risk mitigation possible with the offer sheet.
Best case Scenario:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Gabriel Bourque ($0.618m) / David Legwand ($4.500m) / Martin Erat ($4.500m)
Jack MacLellan ($0.600m) / Mike Fisher ($4.200m) / Patric Hornqvist ($3.083m)
Craig Smith ($0.900m) / Paul Gaustad ($3.250m) / Brandon Yip ($0.750m)
Matt Halischuk ($0.713m) / Nick Spaling ($1.050m) / Brian McGrattan ($0.600m)
DEFENSEMEN
Shea Weber ($7.857m) / Hal Gill ($2.000m)
Ryan Ellis ($1.440m) / Roman Josi ($1.000m)
Kevin Klein ($1.350m) / Jim Vandermeer ($0.525m)
GOALTENDERS
Pekka Rinne ($7.000m)
Chris Mason ($1.500m)
BUYOUTS
J.P. Dumont ($1.333m) / Brett Lebda ($0.467m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $49,236,309; BONUSES: $1,135,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): $20,963,691


Explanation: Players on our ELC's and 2-ways cost more than league minimum, and Vandermeer would be a solid signing anyway

-A Weber signing would result in austerity spending, particularly in the next 12 months, in other words, 0 cash to sign either Kostitsyn or Colin Wilson

-No 13th forward is signed or called up, leaving McGrattan as 12th forward when roster is healthy, which doesn't bother me because I love enforcers and he won't look out of place on a 4th line.

ninetynine* is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:21 PM
  #973
Brozgalov
Registered User
 
Brozgalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bucks County, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
My biggest issue with Snider is that he authorized this offer after the owners' CBA proposal would have eliminated almost every aspect of this ... term, cascading salary, signing bonuses, etc. If it weren't a CBA negotiation year and he was operating within an existing agreement that wasn't under review ... got it, he's using the existing rules to try to screw an other team to get an asset he wants. Fehr is going to use this offer against the owners to tank any effort to eliminate the crazy deals we've seen this summer and to a limited amount, last summer (particularly Brad Richards).
Agreed, and what makes it worse is he probably did this intentionally knowing that. The way I see it, he acted on this idea because it might raise the stakes for a lock-out which makes it even harder for Nashville to match. THAT to me is even worse...

Like I said, I love the man, and it's awesome to see someone who wants to win this bad. You just have to go about it the right way. Yes this is allowed in the current rules, but you are correct. I think he's just getting older and wants a cup ASAP. At 79, he is trying to make that happen soon.

Brozgalov is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:24 PM
  #974
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
No thanks. You've been singing the same song for 5 years. According to you, Poile has never made a mistake. Whenever Poile does retire/get fired/die I bet we hear less from you cause you must be related to him. That's the only explanation for the undying love-fest. It's okay to not love every decision Poile has ever made, I promise I won't think less of you.
Read what I wrote and process it. If you are incapable of that, please don't respond to my posts. A Predators drafted forward was in this year's all-star game. Do your homework, gather some facts (not rants) and we can discuss things. Until then, you aren't worthy of further responses.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-20-2012, 10:29 PM
  #975
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
Someone's been saying all along..THE MONEY IS THERE, THE MONEY IS THERE, THE MONEY IS THERE.
The money is there .. on average. It doesn't appear to be there when it means paying $13,000,000 upon Weber's signature drying on the contract. As I've pointed out ... many of us can afford pricey items over time such as season tickets or cars. It's no problem to absorb 2/20 ... but the number of us who could pay for such items all at once is much smaller. Averaged spending isn't the issue for the Preds ... coughing up $27million cash for one player across 50 weeks isn't the same as coughing up $27million for that same player across almost four years as a cap hit.

101st_fan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:50 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.