HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ownership Cluster**** Thread: This is the last one, Really!

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 11:13 PM
Whileee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
U tell me oh wise one.

Jamison and doans agent were to meet.
Okay, thanks. I hadn't heard. I suppose they might have met without any public reporting, though.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:47 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesamonster View Post
Good points ""K" what i find interesting is that the NHL stands to lose a pot load more on this franchise if there is a lockout / walkout.... Does it make any sense that GB may be asking GJ to escrow a year or two worth of projected losses if he is to assume ownership?
... Hiya mesa, I see were going to have to start right off with another disagreement.

... sooo, why would the NHL be losing "another boatload of money" through the 12-13 season in Phoenix if theres a lockout/walkout?. Players dont get paid. You dont have the expenses of setting up the job 40-50+ X's over the course of the season. No charter flights, practice facilities, hotels, food per-diems, insurance premiums, printing, advertising, promotional, sales or marketing costs to be paid. Glendale still owes them about $6or7Mil from the 11-12 Arena Mgmnt Fees. That'll cover most of Neales, Maloneys, Tippets, a coupla scouts & admin types salaries, office space at the arena through the non-season. Savvy?

Second part ya, the NHL requires new owners to sign whats called a Consent Form which is basically a proof of bona-fides and agreement that you'll cover all losses and are capable of doing so for a period of no less than 5yrs. The NHL's By-Laws (and I believe Constitution) requires a 5yr notification of relocation 2 yrs thereafter (7th year) which requires BOG approval. Consent Forms are not capped, and you also waive your right to declare Bankruptcy. Unhuh, yepp thats right, yer screwed. No one gets out alive.

Those are the rules, however, special dispensations & accommodations can be made, negotiated, so I wouldnt call it hard & fast, and in some cases the Consent Form thrown right out the window, which I believe was the case with your man up in Minnesota there, that paragon of perscapacity, former owner of the Grand Ole' Opry & who made his money telemarketing outta Neenah Wisconsin, one Craig (no middle initial, his white trash parents couldnt afford one) Liepold. Howz that workin out for ya there in Pigs Eye Minnesota?. Dudes' whining about the CBA last winter, come spring he goes out & drops $198M on two players, while his former partners being cuffed, printed & photographed by the Justice Department & the FBI over SEC violations. Another frikin Cheesehead in the Land O' Lakes livin large huh?.

Last edited by Killion: 07-21-2012 at 01:11 AM.
Old
07-21-2012, 01:13 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

vCash: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by doaner View Post
U tell me oh wise one.

Jamison and doans agent were to meet.
Not sure of the location of Doan's agent, but there were twitter reports of Doan meeting with the Rangers in NYC today. NHL offices are there. Jamison could have finished up the paperwork with the NHL and met with Doan and got him signed. At least that's what I'd do. /dream

Old
07-21-2012, 02:11 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
Not sure of the location of Doan's agent...
... Terry Bross is with Gaylord Sports Management, based in Scottsdale. Former pro baseball player (NY Mets etc, Pitcher).

Old
07-21-2012, 11:27 AM
TeamTippett
Formally TeamTurris

Define irony: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...dium-deal.html

Sometimes it's just never enough for these sports teams.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:50 AM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTippett View Post
Define irony: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articl...dium-deal.html

Sometimes it's just never enough for these sports teams.
Intersting article. How many seats would they remove? Would they take away some upper deck and place advertisements over it?

More importantly, if the Dbacks have control of the stadium, what will that do to certain rules like sandwiches and peanuts into the game? You can buy them super cheap outside of the stadium and bring them in.

I understand that sports is a business, but these business are usually built on the taxpayers, and the taxpayer, after paying for said stadium, also has to pay to help fill the building, etc.

I wonder what Packers fans pay for tickets.

I'm more inclined to just stay at home and watch games, but I do love me a good hockey game live.

Last edited by awfulwaffle: 07-21-2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 01:45 PM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

The cheap seats for Packers games are $72. Here's the chart:
http://www.packers.com/tickets/seating-diagram.html

Old
07-21-2012, 02:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

You can't watch football live. Games are fun to attend because its a cool activity, but you end up watching the game on television anyway.

07-21-2012, 02:48 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZflyingPuck View Post
The cheap seats for Packers games are $72. Here's the chart:
http://www.packers.com/tickets/seating-diagram.html
The stadium is owned by the town though, right? So the taxpayers reap the benefits of the income generated and such? Or am I totally off base?

Old
07-22-2012, 01:57 AM
GiveAFlyingPuck
Gary Bettman Rocks!

Does it seem like the ownership mess is now at a stage much like the end of "Raiders of the Lost Ark"?

Govt Guy: We have top men working on it.

Indiana Jones: Who?

Govt Guy: Top. Men.

Hope we hear something soon.

Old
07-22-2012, 09:44 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

The rumblings of certain relocation seem to have died down. But so has any talk about announcements of ownership, etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if the CBA is causing a delay.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are waiting to see for sure that CoJones aren't filing a suit.
Actually, I have to say that even though it's sort of expected and anticipated, the announcement that the deal is complete would be more of a surprise, simply because it's been so quiet!

I do think that bettman et all learned their lesson after hulsizer. Don't make promises, don't make announcements along the way until you have something to actually announce.

Old
07-22-2012, 01:19 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I'd rather be relocated than folded.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:08 PM
TJinAZ

I would rather be folded

Cleaner less gloating from the other side, no arguments over legacy

Old
07-22-2012, 02:13 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

I never had any plans to stop being a fan, regardless of market.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:15 PM
starman
we're here to stay!

Here's hoping they don't sign any final agreements until after August 7, as Mercury is retrograde until then and it's NEVER a good idea to sign contracts when Mercury is retrograde. Much as I'd love for this three years plus to come to an end right now, I will not have a good feeling about any agreement signed before then. Ideally the final transfer will happen in the final week of August.

Old
07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the CBA is causing a delay.
It wouldn't surprise me if they are waiting to see for sure that CoJones aren't filing a suit.
... absolutely. Looks to me like were headed for a lockout while contemporaneously, the uncertainty hovering over Glendale with both the Lease & Tax Petitioner's efforts, election pending, prudent to hang tight and see how it all pans out.

If there is a lockout, a number of in the know Player Agents have opined that it will likely be over by Christmas with an abbreviated season to follow, however, it could wipe it out altogether. The NHL in May notified the NHLPA that they would not be exercising their option to extend the existing CBA by a year while negotiations were on-going, which when combined with their opening presentation to the players with extreme positioning & posturing all but guarantee's no training camp, no hockey come October.

The NHL will likely be successful in securing concessions & roll-backs from the NHLPA, so coming out of it on the other side relief for smaller market & challenged franchises like Phoenix should alter the dynamic positively for Jamison & Glendale, a more attractive investment as a result. They may well be in a position to retreat from the existing parameters & costs pursuant to the Arena Management Fee's, re-negotiating the Contracts with a new administration, appeasing & mollifying the current deals detractors.

Its unfortunate there likely wont be any hockey being played, that the Coyotes could lose Doan & a few others as the wealthier franchises hustle to sign premium RFA's & UFA's under existing CBA rules & guidelines over the next few weeks, but it is what it is. There will be casualties to the Yotes' roster. Sportsnet Toronto tweeted awhile ago that Doan had been offered a $30M 4yr Contract by an Eastern Division Team, while rumours still swirl about LA & Vancouver as being potential landing sites. I wouldnt blame the guy for taking the money right now while he can, as it would appear that Jamison (and the NHL) have decided to wait it out. He's got one good Contract left in him, has to think of his family, future, will absolutely return to Phoenix & re-join the wife & kids full-time when he hangs them up for good or who knows, maybe sign a 1 or 2yr Contract with the Yotes so he can finish his career with the franchise at 39, 40 or 41+.

Overall, to my way of thinking, this is actually all pretty good news. More time to get it right, get it done properly. On balance, the chances of Arizona retaining its team long-term are actually brighter as a result of the stormy conditions. Just ride it out in the eye of the funnel, calm waters, dont do or say anything in haste, panic. Neither the leagues nor Jamisons backs are to the wall here, hence "no deadline".

Last edited by Killion: 07-22-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 10:38 PM
theoriginal55

One reason for Jamison to do it asap is to keep Doan. In a very fragile market he has been the face of the franchise. It is going to be much harder to promote this team without him. Ask the casual fan, and he is the only player's name they know without prompting. It will also seem to many that the Coyotes are like the Suns letting Nash go "just seems like all our teams are cheap/suck."

Look, we all know better, but I am talking about casual or first time fans. These are the people Jamison will have to convince to fill up the rest of the seats, and its going to be alot tougher without Doan on the team. In fact, without Doan the Coyotes are worth less in the near future, and this could scare off certain investors, and certainly make it harder to promote the team in the near term.

Old
07-22-2012, 10:41 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal55 View Post
seem to many that the Coyotes are like the Suns letting Nash go "just seemslike all our teams are cheap/suck."
Well, it doesn't just SEEM that way. It's a sad state in this town when the team spending money is the Cardinals

Old
07-22-2012, 10:56 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
@LisaHalverstadt: #Coyotes referendum organizer Ken Jones says his group won't sue #Glendale over rejection of petitions.

One less court case

Old
07-22-2012, 10:58 PM
IPreferPi
A Nonny Mouse

Quote:
@LisaHalverstadt: #Coyotes referendum organizer Ken Jones says his group won't sue #Glendale over rejection of petitions.
https://twitter.com/LisaHalverstadt/...35450090303489

Well, one obstacle has been definitively killed. Huzzah!

Old
07-22-2012, 11:11 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Are you guys trolling twitter to break the news first on HF , this is worse than the damn trade board

Old
07-22-2012, 11:19 PM
Naurutger
Free Max!

vCash: 1025
If I cant be first in real life I need to be number one some place

Old
07-22-2012, 11:20 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperHF View Post
Are you guys trolling twitter to break the news first on HF , this is worse than the damn trade board
I have to raise my hand guiltily about trolling twitter for news, but that is due more to being news starved than a desire to break anything.

Great news about CoJones though. The current silence is tough to take, and various Yandle trade scenarios can only entertain for so long.

Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by naurutger View Post
If I cant be first in real life I need to be number one some place
Did you hear Doan might test FA?

Old
07-22-2012, 11:49 PM
korpedo