HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Weber Signs OS w/ Philly (14 yrs, $110 mil - $7.85 mil cap hit) Mod Warning Post 364

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:31 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
My biggest issue with Snider is that he authorized this offer after the owners' CBA proposal would have eliminated almost every aspect of this ... term, cascading salary, signing bonuses, etc. If it weren't a CBA negotiation year and he was operating within an existing agreement that wasn't under review ... got it, he's using the existing rules to try to screw an other team to get an asset he wants. Fehr is going to use this offer against the owners to tank any effort to eliminate the crazy deals we've seen this summer and to a limited amount, last summer (particularly Brad Richards).
Wouldn't you think that would be a good reason to not exposÚ your franchise player in an environment so volitale? Why expose our franchise player and the greatest player on the planet at his position, and a living canadian legend to all other horny, frothing at the mouth owners. If it wasn't Philly it would have been one of the other owners who would have done this.

Or was this just the hurricane that no one could possibly see coming and prepare for, oh except a few posters on hfboards.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Wouldn't you think that would be a good reason to not exposÚ your franchise player in an environment so volitale? Why expose our franchise player and the greatest player on the planet at his position, and a living canadian legend to all other horny, frothing at the mouth owners. If it wasn't Philly it would have been one of the other owners who would have done this.

Or was this just the hurricane that no one could possibly see coming and prepare for, oh except a few posters on hfboards.
Point out your prediction of a $68million signing bonus. I'd wait, but, knowing it doesn't exist precludes that waste of my time.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
Read what I wrote and process it. If you are incapable of that, please don't respond to my posts. A Predators drafted forward was in this year's all-star game. Do your homework, gather some facts (not rants) and we can discuss things. Until then, you aren't worthy of further responses.
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. I said all stars not the stupid young stars skills thing. Thats the equivalent what Adam f-ing Hall did.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:38 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy. I said all stars not the stupid young stars skills thing. Thats the equivalent what Adam f-ing Hall did.
One last response until you educate yourself ... you are still wrong. Facts seem to elude you in your rush to rant. Learn, then try to contribute. Otherwise you're just wasting our time.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:40 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
The money is there .. on average. It doesn't appear to be there when it means paying $13,000,000 upon Weber's signature drying on the contract. As I've pointed out ... many of us can afford pricey items over time such as season tickets or cars. It's no problem to absorb 2/20 ... but the number of us who could pay for such items all at once is much smaller. Averaged spending isn't the issue for the Preds ... coughing up $27million cash for one player across 50 weeks isn't the same as coughing up $27million for that same player across almost four years as a cap hit.
Then in that case the money is not there and we were lied to. The market price is whatever the market is willing to pay.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:42 PM
BrindamoursNose

As a Flyers fan..

IF Weber does not get matched, I don't think you should take the 1st round picks. I'd be more than happy to send you the Schenn brothers. Actually, I'm sad we moved JVR because he'd be great to shift to you.

I want Weber very badly on the Flyers, but it really makes Nashville an eyesore on the rest of the league. I don't want that.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:47 PM
gopreds19
Formerly gobears19

Quote:
One last response until you educate yourself ... you are still wrong. Facts seem to elude you in your rush to rant. Learn, then try to contribute. Otherwise you're just wasting our time.
Oh this is fantastic, your naming Hartnell, a guy who hasn't worn our colors in 5 freaking years? Maybe I should rephrase, Poile has never drafted a offensive all star to make the game before bolting to greener pastures due to mismanagement by the front office and coaching staff.
Here comes the "that was Leopold's fault" excuse. You may have a point there, but trading Harrell was convenient because he wasn't happy here anyways and it still took him 5 more years to reach his potential.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:50 PM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by 29dryden29 View Post
Base prices at the mean point between the highest priced tickets in top markets and the highest priced tickets in the lower markets you take the price and meet in the middle for high end to low end seats and that way teams with high ticket prices fans get a bit of a break and those that have lower prices their fans will have to fork over a little more pocket money to see the team play but it is equal pricing for all teams across the NHL.
That's completely illogical. It would erode millions in aggregate revenue as the top teams would see top line declines and you wouldn't see a dollar for dollar increase in the small markets. Dropping ticket prices $25 in Toronto will simply cost you more than any gain acheived from raising ticket prices $25 in Nashvillle. It serves no logical purpose. It's merely a cost break for the top market fanbases at the expense of literally everyone and everything else within the economic system.

Old
07-20-2012, 10:53 PM
jmack4

I think at this point the Preds management/ownership does not want to match (not because of Weber, but because the structure is crazy risky for a market the size of Nashville).

Here is why I think the Preds will match. In order for Poile to get max return from Phily, the Preds must be Willing to match. The owners of the Preds will tell Poile "if you can make a good hockey trade - getting fair return which includes valuable young assets - make the trade... Otherwise we match.

The problem is that the type of trade Poile will request is one that will make Flyers fans question if getting Weber is worth it. The Flyers will not meet Poile's demands because until the last moment they will not believe that Nashville will match.

When Poile tells the owners he cannot get a fair hockey trade from Phily, the owners will swallow hard, match and the spin cycle of love (Shea stating his great love of Nashville and the Preds claiming success for retaining 2 of the big 3)...

Old
07-20-2012, 10:59 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack4 View Post
I think at this point the Preds management/ownership does not want to match (not because of Weber, but because the structure is crazy risky for a market the size of Nashville).

Here is why I think the Preds will match. In order for Poile to get max return from Phily, the Preds must be Willing to match. The owners of the Preds will tell Poile "if you can make a good hockey trade - getting fair return which includes valuable young assets - make the trade... Otherwise we match.

The problem is that the type of trade Poile will request is one that will make Flyers fans question if getting Weber is worth it. The Flyers will not meet Poile's demands because until the last moment they will not believe that Nashville will match.

When Poile tells the owners he cannot get a fair hockey trade from Phily, the owners will swallow hard, match and the spin cycle of love (Shea stating his great love of Nashville and the Preds claiming success for retaining 2 of the big 3)...
Trade who? We can't trade Weber now that he's signed an offer sheet (CBA section 10.3(a) ) . If we match, we can't trade him for a year.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:11 PM
jmack4

Quote:
Trade who? We can't trade Weber now that he's signed an offer sheet (CBA section 10.3(a) ) . If we match, we can't trade him for a year.
The Preds and Flyers can work out an unrelated trade (I.e. We will not match Weber if you agree to trade us Shenn, Vorachek, etc for one or more of the 1sts Preds would get for not matching...

Old
07-20-2012, 11:17 PM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmack4 View Post
The Preds and Flyers can work out an unrelated trade (I.e. We will not match Weber if you agree to trade us Shenn, Vorachek, etc for one or more of the 1sts Preds would get for not matching...
Flyers hold all the leverage there, best case scenario is is to match it if at all possible.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:26 PM
ilikeblocks

All this free money could be nice if the cap drops significantly and teams shed contracts.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:57 PM
ninetynine*

So, no hope? Then I won't hold out any that he stays either. However, don't think 4 late 1st rounders will get you Couts, Holmgren will just say "keep them"

Old
07-20-2012, 11:59 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

There is always hope. Hope won't die until the announcement comes that the team isn't matching. And if Holmgren won't trade Couturier for his 4 1sts back then so be it. The Preds will have 8 firsts over the next four years to package together in a deal with a list of young, talented players and prospects. I'd rather take our business to another team anyway at this point. I haven't really hated Philly that much in years (though I really don't like them still), but this changed all of that. Philly can rot for all I care (the team, not the city or the people in the city). I'd be perfectly happy if 2006-2007 repeats itself in Philly for 14 years.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:11 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdManIn View Post
There is always hope. Hope won't die until the announcement comes that the team isn't matching. And if Holmgren won't trade Couturier for his 4 1sts back then so be it. The Preds will have 8 firsts over the next four years to package together in a deal with a list of young, talented players and prospects. I'd rather take our business to another team anyway at this point. I haven't really hated Philly that much in years (though I really don't like them still), but this changed all of that. Philly can rot for all I care (the team, not the city or the people in the city). I'd be perfectly happy if 2006-2007 repeats itself in Philly for 14 years.
Really? Just because of the offer sheet?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:13 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Wouldn't that fall under "Total Arena Revenues"?
then that chart is incorrect

Old
07-21-2012, 12:13 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

@Brind

Actually, I grew up a Pens fan. The Penguins were my first team (nearly 20 years ago). And "just because of the offer sheet" is shrugging off the significance of the offer sheet. While it isn't Philly's problem that Nashville likely can't match the offer sheet, it was their strategy to **** the Preds over here. So yes... Philly can become the new Edmonton for all I care.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:16 AM
ninetynine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Really? Just because of the offer sheet?
Well it is picking on a small market team, and was specifically designed that way. If the roles were reversed you'd feel victimized as a fan.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:21 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetynine View Post
Well it is picking on a small market team, and was specifically designed that way. If the roles were reversed you'd feel victimized as a fan.
I understand that I'd be mad, sure, but perhaps I am just very detached from the situation and I don't understand hating a team for one player leaving.

Then again, in my world growing up...if my team loses a star, we just go get another. NSH can't do that (seemingly).

Old
07-21-2012, 12:23 AM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
@Brind

Actually, I grew up a Pens fan. The Penguins were my first team (nearly 20 years ago). And "just because of the offer sheet" is shrugging off the significance of the offer sheet. While it isn't Philly's problem that Nashville likely can't match the offer sheet, it was their strategy to **** the Preds over here. So yes... Philly can become the new Edmonton for all I care.
Oh of course it was meant to screw the Preds. Now, I think the Preds shouldn't get off free because they could've potentially made precautionary moves to ensure this wouldn't get so far, BUT I won't even try to defend Philly's move.

Be mad, I don't blame you. You as fans may potentially be screwed over very hard by Philly. In ways, I don't want him to leave because I want NSH to be watchable. It's bad for hockey as a whole to come to Philly on this contract.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:26 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I'm not taking away blame from the Preds, but this is coming from a team that I grew up disliking. It only strengthens that contempt. Again, I don't hate the fans or the city, but the Flyers can still go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:07 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
I'm not taking away blame from the Preds, but this is coming from a team that I grew up disliking. It only strengthens that contempt. Again, I don't hate the fans or the city, but the Flyers can still go **** themselves as far as I'm concerned.
While I can understand your frustration if it was not Philly it was going to be Vancouver, rangers, who knows who else. Mr Snider, the owner is not a young man anymore and he truly loves his team and has worked hard over the years to build it into what it is now, and it has made the franchise capable of making moves like this, all he wants to see is his team win.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:12 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
While I can understand your frustration if it was not Philly it was going to be Vancouver, rangers, who knows who else. Mr Snider, the owner is not a young man anymore and he truly loves his team and has worked hard over the years to build it into what it is now, and it has made the franchise capable of making moves like this, all he wants to see is his team win.
OK. But it was Philly. So the rest of this is irrelevant.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:33 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
OK. But it was Philly. So the rest of this is irrelevant.
You should be more frusterated at Poile who if Im not mistaken had the chance at a 3 year contract when they went to arbitration last summer

Closed Thread