HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

All Purpose Tennis Thread III (thread has been locked due to reaching 1,000 posts)

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 10:50 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
(just looked on the ATP site: both have played 28 tournaments so far. Too many).
What? No way. 18 maybe? I don't think fatigue is the reason neither can hold onto a lead.

Decent level of play this match, but just a bit too much choking for my taste.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:05 AM
kihei

vCash: 4651
Gulbis loses the match. I only saw the last three games after the rain delay, but he mounted nothing approaching a serious challenge in any of those. A very promising first set...and...then...he just seemed to drift away. Too bad, as this was a potentially winnable tournament.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:08 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
What? No way.
Read 'em and weep:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/rankings/singles.aspx

Though when I add them up I indeed come to 18. Must be a computer glitch of some sort. Fed hasn't played close to 20 either.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:34 AM
kihei

Cilic is on a dandy run right now. Will be interesting to see if he can keep it up against Ramos.

Old
07-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Read 'em and weep:

http://www.atpworldtour.com/rankings/singles.aspx

Though when I add them up I indeed come to 18. Must be a computer glitch of some sort. Fed hasn't played close to 20 either.
Oh, okay. I think that's the past twelve months, not the calendar year. Makes more sense.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
kihei

Quote:
Oh, okay. I think that's the past twelve months, not the calendar year. Makes more sense.
Ah, that explains it.

Cilic wins the firs set in his usual manner lately, conceding a break then...well, he didn't exactly roar back this time. Both players served poorly, though Ramos, even with a break that he couldn't convert, still made Marin's service game look killer in comparison. Desultory sort of set.

Second set: Service blues continue for both players, trading early breaks, back on serve, 2-1...Ramos has some skill and knows how to orchestrate a point on occasion but his weak serve is an anchor. Cilic still looks a little sluggish compared to his win in Croatia...continued lax play from Marin and some good, patient tennis from Ramos equals another break, 3-2...but again Ramos can't consolidate, 3-3....Cilic is like a pitcher keeping his side in the game when he is not having a great day.....it goes to a breaker and Cilic finally puts this match out of its misery. Labourious win for Marin, but at least he is into the semis.

Last edited by kihei: 07-20-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old
07-20-2012, 01:52 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Looking forward to Haas-Cilic. Tommy has been in great form this tournament. Not sure whom to favor. I'll pick Haas in three.

Dimitrov has now made his third ATP semifinal in six weeks. He'll be a big underdog against Bellucci, but it should be a good match regardless.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:49 AM
kihei

Watched Isner's interminably boring, sloth-like 7-6, 6-4 win over fellow Yank Jack Sock in Atlanta, a match that seemed to take forever thanks to a chair umpire who would allow Isner as much time as he wanted between points and during change overs. It was my first look at Stock and he has huge deficiencies in his game at the moment. His ground strokes are wildly inconsistent and he double faulted as though he were imitating Sharapova from two years ago. But he is a clever player; he has guile; he can make plays. None of those attributes do I associate with far higher ranked US hopeful Ryan Harrison, who is way steadier but who has no imagination. Sock is a major work in progress, but he definitely possesses imagination. Will be interesting to see what happens to him if he gets the right help.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:15 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
a match that seemed to take forever thanks to a chair umpire who would allow Isner as much time as he wanted between points and during change overs.
Yeah, real shortage of umpires like that on tour...

Bellucci won in two tiebreaks. Really good match overall. Both players had one loose service game at the beginning of each set, but otherwise held easily. A number of really bad bounces in part due to the rain contributed to the ease of both players' holds. Bellucci got a lot more free points with his serve though, and that was probably the biggest difference between the two of them. Hopefully he wins it now.

Almagro and Monaco split the first two sets. Looks like in the first set Monaco was broken serving at *3-4, and Almagro at the same position in the second set.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:38 AM
kihei

Constant steady drizzle in Gstaad has slowed the court down considerably and a dandy clay court match has broken out. Mathieu continuing his fine play takes Tipsarevic to a tie breaker but loses it 10-8.

Mathieu keeps bending but not breaking on serve and he has Janko talking to himself. Tipsarevic is playing very good, steady tennis, though. He is really consistent these days; he quickly gets up to his level and just stays there, no muss, no fuss, 2-2....finally Janko gets a break as Mathieu's play drops just a bit, 4-2. A sea of blue rain slicks and pulled up hoodies and empty seats, the crowd looks miserable....much to the relief of tournament officials I'm sure, Janko serves the match out neatly as the umbrellas start to appear. Well played by Mathieu and another well earned final for Tipsarevic.

Last edited by kihei: 07-21-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old
07-21-2012, 09:48 AM
kihei

Just took a peek at Hamburg in time to see Haas break Cilic to get the first set back on serve. What with Hewitt getting to a final in Newport, it looks like Federer has inspired the oldies....just in the time for the breaker; only seen dibs and dabs of this set but Tommy seems to be making Marin work hard for every point....much to the delight of the crowd, Haas, playing some wily tennis, takes the tie breaker. Cilic can get taken off his game sometimes, so this should be interesting the rest of the way.

Last edited by kihei: 07-21-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old
07-21-2012, 10:44 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

First set breaker was actually 12-10. 5 set points for PHM. The way his level dropped as soon as he got one on his own serve would have been unbelievable for any other player. Two easy, easy backhand errors from *10-9 up and Janko served it out.

Haas has been playing way too defensively this match. Rallying from a solid meter and a half behind the baseline on Cilic's serve, not really building the points toward an end on his own. Maybe the wind is just bothering him more than it is Cilic. He finally gets a bit more aggressive in that tiebreak but gets down 2-5*. 5 set points lost for Cilic - one on his own serve - and Haas takes it 9-7, winning 6 of the last 7 points. Great serving and Cilic errors won it for him.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:50 AM
kihei

Has this been an unseasonably cool summer in Europe? The Hamburg crowd looks bundled up a bit, too. Most Euro tournaments that I've seen this summer, the weather has often looked inclement.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:52 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Has this been an unseasonably cool summer in Europe? The Hamburg crowd looks bundled up a bit, too. Most Euro tournaments that I've seen this summer, the weather has often looked inclement.
It has been raining pretty much all of July in most of Germany if not most of Europe. It's getting a bit ridiculous actually.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
kihei

Quote:
Haas has been playing way too defensively this match. Rallying from a solid meter and a half behind the baseline on Cilic's serve, not really building the points toward an end on his own....5 set points lost for Cilic - one on his own serve - and Haas takes it 9-7, winning 6 of the last 7 points. Great serving and Cilic errors won it for him.
I haven't seen Tommy play that much this summer, but I can't remember the last time he played really offensive tennis; I remember him getting to the net a lot more than he does now. I thought he orchestrated a couple of points in the breaker like a clever old bear, though, especially the one where he tempts Cilic to go down the line and there is Haas waiting to stroke the ball into a wide open court for the winner.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:04 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
I haven't seen Tommy play that much this summer, but I can't remember the last time he played really offensive tennis; I remember him getting to the net a lot more than he does now. I thought he orchestrated a couple of points in the breaker like a clever old bear, though, especially the one where he tempts Cilic to go down the line and there is Haas waiting to stroke the ball into a wide open court for the winner.
He has been playing offensive tennis most of his matches this summer. I mean, it's a really stark contrast from the way he was playing against Simon and Mayer: he was practically hitting moonballs for much of the first set of this match. He just wasn't constructing points toward an end that set, even on his own serve. Looks like things are going his way now though.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:07 AM
kihei

And Cilic is definitely taken way, way off his game. 4-0, Haas.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:11 AM
kihei

The beautiful blonde is getting a hell of a lot of screen time. Tennis players have the coolest girlfriends, a fact I think I first recognized when I was about 11 years-old and other sports looked like they might beckon. **** baseball, I remember thinking.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
kihei

How can you not love it? Haas is through to the German Championship finals.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:21 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
The beautiful blonde is getting a hell of a lot of screen time. Tennis players have the coolest girlfriends, a fact I think I first recognized when I was about 11 years-old and other sports looked like they might beckon. **** baseball, I remember thinking.
Yeah, the one redeeming feature of Tipsarevic matches I guess.

Haas with the bagel. Amazing, a chance to win his hometown tournament and break back into the top 30 as a 34 year old. Go Tommy.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:53 PM
kihei

Roddick/Isner tonight in Atlanta. Hope Andy wins. I've seen enough of Isner to last me light years.

Turned out to be a good match. Uneventful until a brief 4-3 rain delay after which Roddick came out like he had a brain transplant, serving into Isner's body, keeping the ball low on Isner's groundstrokes and pressuring Isner's second serve. That won him the set. After which the finer points of tennis were ignored and it became a heavyweight slugfest. There were no break points, no deuces for that matter, in the second set which Isner won in a tie breaker. Toward the end of the third set, Isner begin to wear down and eventually Roddick was able to take advantage for the win, 6-4, 6-7, 6-4. Good, very focused win for Andy, who looks better and a little slimmer than he did in England.

Last edited by kihei: 07-21-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old
07-22-2012, 07:18 AM
kihei

So I sleepily turn the German Championships on, and the very first shot I'm confronted with is that fetching blonde in a watermelon-coloured scarf. The camera crew must be really smitten. (found out after the match that she is Haas' wife, though it sort of dawned on me when she lost her considerable cool and shook her fist angrily at his boneheaded play in the second set)

Off to a good start. Looks like it will be hard fought with lots of long rallies. Tough on the crowd already, it seems.

Statistically Haas's worse surface is clay where he has won only one of 13 titles; Monaco's best surface is clay where he has won all five of his titles.

First set: Haas gets the early break; crowd all smiles...Haas looks sharp, definitely the aggressor so far, 4-1...overhitting leads to three of four unforced errors by Haas, and Monaco is back on serve, 4-3....bit of a nervous hold for Tommy, if that game had gone to deuce from 40-0, trouble might have followed, 5-4....Moncaco coming on now, Haas no longer quite in control....and a few points later, after saving one break point with a brilliant forehand, Haas is broken, 6-5....and Monaco wins the set 7-5, with Haas showing his frustration for poor shots....the splits pretty much tell the story--Haas won the first part of the set 4-1; Monaco won the second part of the set 6-1...once Juan got his foot back in the door, he played very good, opportunistic clay court tennis, as Haas' game seem to tighten....I rather doubt Haas gets back into this. (midway through second set it dawns on me that we are talking Monaco here).

Second set: ...or maybe not. Haas breaks for 2-0, as Monaco goes a little patchy all of a sudden--that was a question of Monaco giving it away rather than Haas snatching it back, though...and Haas gives it right back--the level of play in this set is poor so far....Haas, seeing a lot more second serves this set, somehow manages not to break a shaky Monaco, 2-2...finally an authoritative hold from Haas for 3-2--this set is so available to him right now if he can just right the ship....there are understandable unforced errors and there are lousy unforced errors, Haas is hitting a lot of the really bad variety...Tommy saves a break point with a beautiful touch shot at the net and then hits another wondrous volley...not enough though, as Monaco breaks in a fascinating game that could have gone either way and probably seals Haas' fate, 4-3...but Haas takes it back by returning to the agessive style that he displayed at the start of the first set, 4-4...Haas can't consolidate his good fortune and is broken by Monaco, who now serves for the match, 5-4....and Juan holds at 30 for the championship.

Great win for Monaco, who worked his way back into the match and then was the better player most of the rest of the way. The loss will sting for Tommy because too often he was his own worst enemy, blowing early breaks in both sets.

Last edited by kihei: 07-22-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old
07-22-2012, 07:47 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Damn, Haas should have been up 5-0. Back on serve now though. Forehand misfiring quite a bit for him.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:51 AM
Tuggy

Pospisil is back in the top 100 with making the final at the challenger in Granby. If he wins then he'll have a new career high ranking.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:07 PM
kihei

If I have my math right, Monaco will move into the Top Ten tomorrow in the last spot, thanks to getting to the finals in Stuttgart and winning in Hamburg. There's a good line here about an Argentine finding a home in Germany but I will resist it. He's not a great player, but he certainly has more than paid his dues over the years, so good for him.

Later: got a sneaking suspicion Almagro might still have about 100 point lead on him. Too bad. I'd like to see Monaco get his cup of coffee in the Top Ten.

Last edited by kihei: 07-22-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Closed Thread