HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

11'/12' Offseason/Trades/Proposals: FOR CRYING OUT LOUD WHERE ARE THE RUMORS!??

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 12:49 AM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritzie View Post
the Sabres, Habs and Sens have gotten a lot tougher.
I don't know about you, but the Sabres with Ott instead of Roy, the Habs with a couple of extra fourth-liners and the Sens with Latendresse but without Carkner/Konopka aren't particularly frightening to me.

Last edited by Kyle Doobas: 07-21-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old
07-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

vCash: 500
Quote:
Pretty funny all the "tough guy" experts speaking about the Habs have not even mentioned Ryan White. The Habs are way tougher than the Leaf squad at the moment. BB better do something soon, because the Sabres, Habs and Sens have gotten a lot tougher. Our team IS soft.

And anyone who thinks Frattin should be moved out for some half-ass player needs their ****ing head examined. He's EXACTLY what this team is lacking. Tough, doesn't back down, lays the body and goes hard to the net. How many people talk about "potential" and "ceiling" and don't see it in our own backyard. I'm a Burke fan, but if he actually moved Fratts for an unproven Bernier or some other lateral move, I'll lose my ****. That's not even a lateral move. That's going backwards. I'm sure all you Kule slurpers will go on about how he "does all the little things", but I'll take Fratts over Kule any day of the week.

/rant
Frattin is not tough. He is a sniper. Watch the kid play, sure he battles in the corners but he is primarily a scorer. Any hits he gets is a bonus, don't make the kid out to be something he is not.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:11 AM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Seriously, do people not understand the difference between tough players and players that are tough to play against? Big difference.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:38 AM
dubplatepressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Frattin is not tough. He is a sniper. Watch the kid play, sure he battles in the corners but he is primarily a scorer. Any hits he gets is a bonus, don't make the kid out to be something he is not.
I agree that he's no mitts' droppin power forward, but he does have more grit and guts to his game than the likes of some of the other forwards we've seen here.

IMO he's a good 20/20 guy in the future, but his release and shot, balance and speed do give him more upside.

now that Kule is signed we def need to move a guy or.two... Just a waiting game now.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:32 AM
Badger Mayhew

vCash: 50
I know that some people have mentioned getting Sam Gagner over Bozak before, so I just wanted to repost this video to confirm that I don't want him anywhere near our team.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:36 AM
MorriPage

Words can't describe how much I wish I could fast forward to when Edmonton is faced with the prospect of trying to re-sign and fit Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov under the cap is successive years. Wipe that smug smirk right off Tambellini's face. Worst GM in the league, bar none.

Old
07-21-2012, 10:34 AM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Words can't describe how much I wish I could fast forward to when Edmonton is faced with the prospect of trying to re-sign and fit Eberle, Hall, Nugent-Hopkins and Yakupov under the cap is successive years. Wipe that smug smirk right off Tambellini's face. Worst GM in the league, bar none.
If all of these guys turn into stars that's a good problem.

Think if the Leafs offered the Penguins Kadri, Biggs, Percy and a 1st. they could land Malkin?

I don't get the argument that drafting successfully is ever going to be a bad thing.

Add to this the new CBA is supposed to change some of the timelines and lengths required for UFA and entry level contracts.

Vaive and Ludzik on collapse, and Phaneuf.
Old
07-21-2012, 10:55 AM
LaPlante94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorriPage View Post
Not really fair to call him the worst GM. More like the luckiest GM. We'll see how bad or good of a GM he is in like 2-3 years from now if he's still around

Old
07-21-2012, 11:29 AM
Ritzie

Quote:
I'm not talking about fighting. Battling in the corners is exactly what this team is lacking. You're saying he doesn't hit but you're telling me to watch him play? Good stuff. Making him out to be something he's not? Has the tools to be the prototypical PF this team has been missing. I think in a year or 2 he'll be the player everyone is lamenting we need on the team if he's traded for anything less than a stud forward.

edit: Like my avi?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
SonofMan

I just saw the Aucoin thread...

Last edited by SonofMan: 07-21-2012 at 12:04 PM. Reason: already posted.
Old
07-21-2012, 12:13 PM
showtime8

Its tough to compare Matt Frattin with any player in the league. He's not the height of Marian Hossa, but uses his abilities in a comparable way. And while Hossa doesn't fight, he's not a guy that's going to back away from a hit or delivering one.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
HockeyThoughts
Delivering The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Its tough to compare Matt Frattin with any player in the league. He's not the height of Marian Hossa, but uses his abilities in a comparable way. And while Hossa doesn't fight, he's not a guy that's going to back away from a hit or delivering one.
Matt Frattin's ceiling is probably about a Nikolai Kulemin circa 10/11. 30G-57pts 100hits+ great 2way play. Frattin might have more hits, but lesser defensive play.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:33 PM
Community
Former TMLKesselftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
I agree. I'd like to see eventually:

Lupul - legit #1 - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - Kulemin/Kadri/Frattin
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri
Kulemin - XXXX - Frattin/Ross/Biggs

IMO

Old
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
ULF_55
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
JVR - Grabovski - Kadri
Kulemin - XXXX - Frattin/Ross/Biggs

IMO
Lupul - legit #1 Center - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - legit #2 Winger
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin

Old
07-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Badger Mayhew

Something like

Lupul-Backes-Kessel
Van-Riemsdyk-Grabovski-Doan
Kulemin-McClement-Simmonds

Would be great. Obviously not specifically Backes/Simmonds/Doan, but players that play similarly to them. Could be some of our prospects, other team's young players, etc.

EDIT: And obviously this would be a couple years away.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Lupul - legit #1 Center - Kessel
JVR - Grabovski - legit #2 Winger
Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
Pretty lofty expectations IMO
Wouldn't mind seeing:

van Reimsdyk-Grabovski-Kessel
Lupul-Kadri-Kulemin
MacArthur-McClement-Frattin

Old
07-21-2012, 01:33 PM
dimi78

Quote:
His shot is a weapon that hasn't been utilized to it's best. It's an elite shot that makes him dangerous and a top notch prospect in the offensive zone however don't make it out that he's a one trick pony there's more to his game one of which is that he's really strong, hard to contain when he's driving to the net and yes he does play tough just that he's not a fighter of a regular occurrence but will drop the gloves if he has to.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
joffreyLUUPUL

"The calm before the storm"

The Toronto Maple Leafs Sign Keith Aucoin.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:46 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
I'm not talking about fighting. Battling in the corners is exactly what this team is lacking. You're saying he doesn't hit but you're telling me to watch him play? Good stuff. Making him out to be something he's not? Has the tools to be the prototypical PF this team has been missing. I think in a year or 2 he'll be the player everyone is lamenting we need on the team if he's traded for anything less than a stud forward.

edit: Like my avi?
He's already 24 years old. Frattin is a player with some sand in his game who is hard on the forecheck, but the kid is primarily a scorer. I never said he doesn't hit, but he is certainly lacking the tools of a prototypical power forward. Biggs or Ashton have those tools, not Frattin. If Frattin is to stick as an NHL regular it will be based on his scoring prowess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimi78 View Post
His shot is a weapon that hasn't been utilized to it's best. It's an elite shot that makes him dangerous and a top notch prospect in the offensive zone however don't make it out that he's a one trick pony there's more to his game one of which is that he's really strong, hard to contain when he's driving to the net and yes he does play tough just that he's not a fighter of a regular occurrence but will drop the gloves if he has to.
He's tough the same way Lupul is tough. Doesn't shy away from contact, finishes checks. He isn't the physical force that people are making him out to be on here.

That being said I see Frattin as a 2nd/3rd line tweener in the NHL with 25 goal/ 15 assist upside. Offensively, he doesn't use his teammates well. He is already 24.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:28 PM
Duffman955

When is Burke going to bring some size and toughness into the line up.

I thought his priorities this offseason were:

- Bring in a #1C
- Solidify goaltending situation
- Bring in size and toughness.

He hasn't addressed anything so far.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Badger Mayhew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

- Bring in a #1C

I didn't realize the off-season was over.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:39 PM
number72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman955 View Post

- Bring in a #1C

Nope those were areas he wanted to address for the last couple years. The answer is pretty simple depending on where we are in the season. Below is a handy reference.
1. Patience and wait for trades at draft to address the shortcomings
2. Patience and wait for UFA signing period
3. Patience and wait for trades before the season start
4. Patience and wait for the prospects to breakout this year
5. Patience and wait for trade deadline
6. Patience and wait for College UFA signings
7. Go to 1

Eventually something will work out. That said, Burke has tried - he signed some of the best undrafted Euro goalies (monster) that have not amounted to much, college UFA signings (Bozak) that are not really the solution, Connolly UFA signing last year who has been entirely underwhelming, drafted Biggs too add size in three or four years and hopefully Kadri/Colborne finally stick this year in the big club. Nothing really with high probability of success but he has tried.

Till than we are at 3 and so patience.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Ritzie

Further to Frattin, I forgot about the Foligno fight vs. Buffalo. Leafs were getting absolutely man-handled and no one on the team did SFA about it and Fratts was the one who finally dropped the mitts - on a guy a lot bigger than him. Yeah, he's not tough - "just a sniper".

I guess he's not one of those imaginary 6'-6", 250lbs guys who are always the fastest player on the ice and score 40G and 100 pts a season.....so just a solid 3rd-liner then.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:29 PM
Kyle Doobas
#groovystats

vCash: 1170
Quote:
Further to Frattin, I forgot about the Foligno fight vs. Buffalo. Leafs were getting absolutely man-handled and no one on the team did SFA about it and Fratts was the one who finally dropped the mitts - on a guy a lot bigger than him. Yeah, he's not tough - "just a sniper".

I guess he's not one of those imaginary 6'-6", 250lbs guys who are always the fastest player on the ice and score 40G and 100 pts a season.....so just a solid 3rd-liner then.
There's nothing wrong with being a second/third-line 'tweener' who can put up 40-50 points and play in all three zones, but those types of guys aren't so indispensable that you should refuse to move them for a young goalie with big upside when your team's most glaring hole for nearly a decade has been between the pipes.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Ritzie

Quote:
He's already 24 years old. Frattin is a player with some sand in his game who is hard on the forecheck, but the kid is primarily a scorer. I never said he doesn't hit, but he is certainly lacking the tools of a prototypical power forward. Biggs or Ashton have those tools, not Frattin. If Frattin is to stick as an NHL regular it will be based on his scoring prowess.

He's tough the same way Lupul is tough. Doesn't shy away from contact, finishes checks. He isn't the physical force that people are making him out to be on here.

That being said I see Frattin as a 2nd/3rd line tweener in the NHL with 25 goal/ 15 assist upside. Offensively, he doesn't use his teammates well. He is already 24.
So power forwards don't score a lot of goals? hahaha

Closed Thread