HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Devils re-sign Mark Fayne (2 years, $1.3M per)

Old
07-21-2012, 04:26 AM
Dutch Dreams

vCash: 500
One of the more underrated defensemen in the league.

You could see it as soon as he stepped onto NHL ice. A lot of poise with the puck, and just a very smart decision maker. Good size and is a strong player.

This is only his second year. He's definitely going to be a player to watch over the next few years.

I could see him rounding into a Dan Girardi-type guy.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:47 AM
MakoSlade

Send a message via AIM to MakoSlade Send a message via MSN to MakoSlade Send a message via Yahoo to MakoSlade
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
I think you have him confused with Mark Fraser.
This explains it...I was wondering what Devils fans that guy was referring to.

Great signing! Bargain price for what Fayne brings.

MakoSlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:16 AM
bristhebest
Rookie User

This is making Matt Carles contract look really bad..

bristhebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:22 AM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bristhebest View Post
This is making Matt Carles contract look really bad..
They aren't comparable as players nor are they comparable in their free agent status. Silly to compare their contracts. Nice try though.

Huis Clos* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Amazing deal for the devils!

07-21-2012, 11:23 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Good #4 D-man. He's pretty much solid.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:54 AM
Spectra
Registered boozer

Shocked he signed at that amount but even more shocked he signed for 2 years. Great for the Devils though but I'm really wondering what he and his agent were thinking. Worth at least 2 per year with the contracts being signed these days.

Spectra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
janecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
He plays top pairing minutes many nights.
Here is what qualifies as top pairing ice time per game in the NHL: 17:57 even strength, or 22:13 total. Evidently it is not exact and you could reduce those a little, but I took the numbers from defensemen that placed 60th in avg ice time among all defensemen.

Fayne's respective numbers in the regular season were 17:14 (5th on the Devils of all defensemen) and 20:11 (again 5th). That is not to say he didn't make progress and establish himself, but a run of games playing slightly expanded minutes because of injuries is not substantial enough to cash in. He is durable, which works in his favor, but he's not going play regular PP, and he hasn't played top PK minutes.

Fayne's cake was playing #5 minutes, and his cherry on top was how he played in the last couple of months when he clocked #4 minutes. Maybe he'll get #4 minutes next year, we'll see, but until he does it regularly, he is not worth more than he got. He has to prove it first, and then he gets paid more. Many bottom-pairing defensemen are capable of playing top-4 minutes succesfully for a while before there's a drop-off in performance.

Just pointing out why it was not realistic to expect him to get $2m+ per year. What he got was a normal RFA deal.

janecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
danyhabsfan

Good deal

Him and Eller could have got more money even if theyre only RFA

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:43 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by janecky View Post
Here is what qualifies as top pairing ice time per game in the NHL: 17:57 even strength, or 22:13 total. Evidently it is not exact and you could reduce those a little, but I took the numbers from defensemen that placed 60th in avg ice time among all defensemen.

Fayne's respective numbers in the regular season were 17:14 (5th on the Devils of all defensemen) and 20:11 (again 5th). That is not to say he didn't make progress and establish himself, but a run of games playing slightly expanded minutes because of injuries is not substantial enough to cash in. He is durable, which works in his favor, but he's not going play regular PP, and he hasn't played top PK minutes.

Fayne's cake was playing #5 minutes, and his cherry on top was how he played in the last couple of months when he clocked #4 minutes. Maybe he'll get #4 minutes next year, we'll see, but until he does it regularly, he is not worth more than he got. He has to prove it first, and then he gets paid more. Many bottom-pairing defensemen are capable of playing top-4 minutes succesfully for a while before there's a drop-off in performance.

Just pointing out why it was not realistic to expect him to get $2m+ per year. What he got was a normal RFA deal.
The way he spent his time on ice warranted 2+ million buddy

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:06 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:

My guess is that you don't watch many Devils game and are basing your comments purely off the stats sheets... and taking those numbers a little too literally.

And actually, if you're looking closely at the TOI for Devils defensemen, you'll notice that nobody on the team's defense really hit the numbers that you've specified in your post.

The Devils don't have what most teams would consider a #1/#2 pairing on the team. You have about 4 guys playing somewhere around ~20minutes a night with Salvador picking up significant PK time and Zidlicky picking up significant PP time.

Fayne (and his partner Andy Greene) however, are the ones who are usually facing the toughest competition against opposing teams top lines.

For this particular Devils team, Fayne & Greene would be consider the top pairing.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:

In the playoffs, when it mattered most, Greene-Fayne was one of our best pairings. They successfully shut down Giroux, Hartnell, and Jagr in the series against the Flyers, and successfully shut down Gaborik and Richards in the series against the Rangers. That's no small task, and Fayne was by no means a passenger on his pairing. Not to say I'm unhappy with the contract he got, but he definitely could have reasonably asked for a bigger salary.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:14 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Wow what a bargain. Fayne shuts down other team's top lines 20+ min/night.

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:16 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Quote:

Fayne faced the toughest matchups of any Devils' defenseman last season. http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#

Feed Me A Stray Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:25 PM
SauceHockey
Retired

Solid as a rock and very good defensively. He played well in the playoffs where he rarely made mistakes

SauceHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 12:42 AM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

25 years old and averages 20+ minutes per game on the blue line. At 1.3, that's a solid signing Lou.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:05 AM
Dutch Dreams

Very similar situation to Gunnarsson.

Dutch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Fayne faced the toughest matchups of any Devils' defenseman last season. http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...4+45+46+63+67#
yea blindly throwing out TOI numbers is nonsense. Fayne and Greene start the game, they end the game, and they're paired vs the top line. Just neither play on the PP + PK is normally dominated by sal+volch

GM17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 10:37 AM
MadDog172430
Sal Apologist

Fayne will be handsomely rewarded after this contract, he's Lou's Providence boy.

MadDog172430 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2012, 11:22 AM
TSA0402

IF he can keep it up, it will be one of the better contracts in the NHL.

I'm assuming the reason the contract is so low is that he is relatively unproven. He is QoC is quite good, however.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote