HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 10:56 AM
Snotbubbles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
It's nice that Weber is a high character guy and professional. I wouldnt suggest that type of attitude above having anything to do with professional sports.
I wouldn't either. But I'm not gonna say it will affect his career if he did, he gets paid no matter what. As Jeff Carter showed, sometimes it can be a benefit.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:01 AM
PFL615

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
I wouldn't either. But I'm not gonna say it will affect his career if he did, he gets paid no matter what. As Jeff Carter showed, sometimes it can be a benefit.
Jeff Carter is just another example of how Philly operates. Difference is Weber wants to play in Nashville. Jeff Carter got traded to Columbus out of his power. Weber signed the offer sheet with Philly knowing he could just as well be a Predator.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:06 AM
RaiderDoug

If there's one silver lining in all of this:

At least he's not going to Vancouver.

These Flyer fans have a long, long, way to go to become as irritating as the Vancouver "all your players are belong to us" Canuck fans that have been lurking around here for 4 years.

Maybe they'll all move off to the Flyer boards, and talk about how it's just a matter of time before Weber forces a trade to Vancouver where he's always wanted to play and the Flyers will be forced to take Edler, Raymond, and a 2nd.

Can't wait until I see that thread.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:09 AM
AEM6729

Interesting blog article about whether the Weber offer sheet is cap circumvention:

http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/2012/...circumvention/

How does declaring something "cap circumvention" work? If it was considered such, wouldn't the NHL have voided the offer sheet by now? Or they don't void it until it's actually submitted as a signed contract with one team or the other?

Old
07-21-2012, 11:11 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post

These Flyer fans have a long, long, way to go to become as irritating as the Vancouver "all your players are belong to us" Canuck fans that have been lurking around here for 4 years.

Maybe they'll all move off to the Flyer boards, and talk about how it's just a matter of time before Weber forces a trade to Vancouver where he's always wanted to play and the Flyers will be forced to take Edler, Raymond, and a 2nd.

I can see it now.

Flyer fans: Weber was just signed for 14 years. He's not getting traded.

Vancouver fans: So was Carter, Richards and van Riemsdyk.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:13 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post
Interesting blog article about whether the Weber offer sheet is cap circumvention:

How does declaring something "cap circumvention" work? If it was considered such, wouldn't the NHL have voided the offer sheet by now? Or they don't void it until it's actually submitted as a signed contract with one team or the other?
The article doesn't differentiate between a calendar year and a league year. If it did, it would realize that the structure is valid.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:16 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM6729 View Post

IMO, all these long "retirement" contracts are meant to circumvent the spirit of the cap...especially when they are making only $1 million during the last couple of years of the deal....Weber's will be the last of these deals that we'll ever see....at least until GMs can find new loopholes in the new CBA to take advantage of.

That being said, I'd be really surprised if the NHL voided this contract as they pretty much laid out the parameters of what is acceptable and what is not when they ruled on the Kovalchuk deal.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:20 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
The article doesn't differentiate between a calendar year and a league year. If it did, it would realize that the structure is valid.
Exactly. Precedent is set with the Richards contract last year with $18million in bonuses in less than a 52 week span. The same precedent is reinforced with the Suter and Parise contracts. The Weber offer sheet just includes even more bonus cash while remaining within the 20% per season year.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:25 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:

lol this

feelsbadman.jpeg

Old
07-21-2012, 11:40 AM
AEM6729

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Exactly. Precedent is set with the Richards contract last year with $18million in bonuses in less than a 52 week span. The same precedent is reinforced with the Suter and Parise contracts. The Weber offer sheet just includes even more bonus cash while remaining within the 20% per season year.
Regardless, how does declaring contracts to be circumvention work as far as timing? It doesn't happen until it's a signed contract submitted to the league (i.e. not when it's still in the offer sheet stage)?

Old
07-21-2012, 11:44 AM
MSSLYNX

I wont. I live there! Roger Waters last show tonight. Stadium getting build starting this fall. Give us 2 years. Weber will still be there 12 years!

Old
07-21-2012, 11:49 AM
Krishna

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I'm focusing my hate on Suter for all of this. I have no doubt that if Suter would've stayed, we wouldn't be in this situation. **** Suter.
What about blaming Poile?

Last summer Weber's agent gave Poile a contract offer of 3 years 7m per and Poile decided to go to arbitration.

Weber, Rinne, and Suter all went into the year with uncertainty.

Rinne was re-signed leaving Suter and Weber unsigned.

The rest of the reports I read said that they would both re-sign depending on what the other did. It eventually got too late and Suter walked. This pissed off Weber who now, from his agent's words, wants out of the rebuild

Old
07-21-2012, 11:50 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood42 View Post
and if they do indeed match and the NHL locks out again for say a whole year
and you have to give weber what adds up to your entire revenue in gate sales from a year ago
and with no income during a lockout year it could bankrupt the predators
so dont be sad when they pack up and move to quebec

and is it really good exposure for nashville?
its basically saying they cant afford to keep big names on the roster
Plz ban the 64 post trolls.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post

It eventually got too late and Suter walked.
suter was going to walk no matter what but led poile to believe otherwise.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:51 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
What about blaming Poile?

Last summer Weber's agent gave Poile a contract offer of 3 years 7m per and Poile decided to go to arbitration.

Weber, Rinne, and Suter all went into the year with uncertainty.

Rinne was re-signed leaving Suter and Weber unsigned.

The rest of the reports I read said that they would both re-sign depending on what the other did. It eventually got too late and Suter walked. This pissed off Weber who now, from his agent's words, wants out of the rebuild
If that's the case, the DP should be gone.

I can't possibly imagine the thought process in not signing Weber to that deal.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
hollywood42

Quote:
Plz ban the 64 post trolls.
wasnt tryin to troll ma dude
i just dont post very often for hockey

http://www.wingszone.com/nllmb/member.php?u=2670
thats where i live

sorry i wont post anymore until the outcome of this

Old
07-21-2012, 12:01 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:

Poile offered long term, Weber countered short term. I think the rumors were Poile was offering 6-7 years in the $7mil + range ... at one point prior to the arbitration hearing Weber and his agent retreated to only wanting a one year deal and wouldn't even discuss longer term.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Wings fan here coming in peace.

Have any of your beat writers or similar heard anything, are they leaning towards retaining him or letting him go?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:

Because 3 years did nothing for us, only delayed the inevitable. Going the 1 year deal left us still somewhat protected, that if Weber wouldn't commit here long-term, we would get some kind of compensation back for him this off-season. And we will, though probably not the package we would be hoping for.

A 3-year deal probably would have seen him walking at the end of year 3 for absolutely nothing. We can believe that Weber would have been tradeable at the beginning of year 3, or at the deadline (depending on our place in the standings), but as a rental, I just don't see even the best d-man in the NHL bringing the package back that some people seem to expect he would.

I also take his agent's words with a grain of salt on this. Who knows when that deal was offered in the negotiations.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:21 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
Because 3 years did nothing for us, only delayed the inevitable. Going the 1 year deal left us still somewhat protected, that if Weber wouldn't commit here long-term, we would get some kind of compensation back for him this off-season. And we will, though probably not the package we would be hoping for.

A 3-year deal probably would have seen him walking at the end of year 3 for absolutely nothing. We can believe that Weber would have been tradeable at the beginning of year 3, or at the deadline (depending on our place in the standings), but as a rental, I just don't see even the best d-man in the NHL bringing the package back that some people seem to expect he would.

I also take his agent's words with a grain of salt on this. Who knows when that deal was offered in the negotiations.
Agreed, we don't know the specifics about what was offered.

But I don't see any logic in that 1 year and going to arb is better than a 3 year deal because he could walk in 3 years.

If you refuse the deal, the absolute best case scenario - he could walk in two.

Even worse, him and his agent figured out a way to get him off the team in 1 year, and not only that, royally screw the Preds in the process.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Lord Flashheart
Squadron Commander

I hope you guys keep Weber, and not allow that ******* Holmgren to get away with this kind of bullying tactics. It's wrong, just wrong.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

Have any of your beat writers or similar heard anything, are they leaning towards retaining him or letting him go?
Our beat writers suck an the lead beater is on vacay.

That answer your question?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:24 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

The local wrap has one beat writer, and he comes across as a naive kid who who is peeking over the fence to see what his neighbor is up to. Most of the time, anyway. The organization is being tight lipped about this. The email I received back from the President and COO directed me to the official statement.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp Brannigan View Post
I hope you guys keep Weber, and not allow that ******* Holmgren to get away with this kind of bullying tactics. It's wrong, just wrong.
I agree, but unfortunately for us the CBA does not. What the Flyers are doing is obviously wrong, but they are allowed to do it.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:26 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Agreed, we don't know the specifics about what was offered.

But I don't see any logic in that 1 year and going to arb is better than a 3 year deal because he could walk in 3 years.

If you refuse the deal, the absolute best case scenario - he could walk in two.

Even worse, him and his agent figured out a way to get him off the team in 1 year, and not only that, royally screw the Preds in the process.
At the very worst, and this doesn't make anybody happy, I know, we get 4 1st rounders for losing him. It is impossible to say we would definitely get a better package 2 years from now for him as a rental. One would think we could, but there's just no way of knowing what scenario would play out. Maybe our team would look really good going into the season, and he would make vocal commitments to staying here, which would make him tough to deal. Maybe when the deadline came around, even with no deal in place, we're looking at a playoff spot, which makes him extremely difficult to deal.

I would have loved Weber to stay here as long as we can have him, but I like the risk of losing him protected as an RFA over the possibility of his situation playing out like Suter's did in 2 years.

Closed Thread