Old
07-20-2012, 06:51 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
squidz's debate mode: engaged.
aw hell... I forgot my own advice when it comes to him...

Old
07-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
squidz's debate mode: engaged.
How do you figure that?

Old
07-20-2012, 06:57 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
i don't know if you could call what Squidz does "debating"

Old
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
i don't know if you could call what Squidz does "debating"
Charliesheen.jpg

Old
07-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Dr Jan Itor

I don't know if it pertains to this situation, but I've heard of numerous instances where the player and team do not leave on the greatest of terms after the arbitration process. I don't think it's just a matter of "boo hoo, he said mean things".

Old
07-20-2012, 07:18 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i guess it makes a difference if the players involved in the arbitration are of superstar quality too. Didn't the Wild have some sort of crazy dealings with Steph where they eventually just cut him loose and let him try to test free agency? Not sure what his status was at the time, but we ended up re-signing him for cheap when no one picked him up. maybe i have that all wrong.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
i guess it makes a difference if the players involved in the arbitration are of superstar quality too. Didn't the Wild have some sort of crazy dealings with Steph where they eventually just cut him loose and let him try to test free agency? Not sure what his status was at the time, but we ended up re-signing him for cheap when no one picked him up. maybe i have that all wrong.
Was that the same incident where we put him through waivers just to show that no one wanted him? Or is that totally my imagination?

Old
07-20-2012, 07:49 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC2600 View Post
Was that the same incident where we put him through waivers just to show that no one wanted him? Or is that totally my imagination?
hmmm that might be it.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:54 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
hmmm that might be it.
Quote:
In other words, if Veilleux clears waivers, the Wild — as stated in today’s article — is going to tell Veilleux, “See, nobody took you. Your value is not as high as you think it is,” when that’s not entirely true.
http://blogs2.startribune.com/blogs/...ver-situation/

Old
07-21-2012, 05:09 AM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 97
Okay seriously, what is his deal? This is so random and not something he use to do. But ever since signing Parise and Suter, he's been playing too nice in regards to this town. Mo, it's not gonna happen, dude. You had your chance a couple years ago. Are you trying to tick off Dallas fans, now?

Modano
Quote:
Missing the Minnesota Fans!! pic.twitter.com/3bFRg4Ay
Again, the compliment is nice. But where was this all before? It's a bit strange considering how he's been reminiscing more since July 4th.

Russo's response
Quote:
@jcphitman tugging on the heartstrings. Doesn't matter. Wilds not signing him, so he should give it a rest

Old
07-21-2012, 05:22 AM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Who cares where it was before... I didn't want him then either.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:40 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

What's become of Brunette now?

He's now an UFA if I'm not mistaken. Will he just retire?

Old
07-21-2012, 07:27 AM
Jilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
What's become of Brunette now?

He's now an UFA if I'm not mistaken. Will he just retire?
I could see him doing what John Madden or Owen Nolan did, but I could also see him picking up a microphone. I'd love to see him in broadcast somewhere.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

brunette would make an excellent end of the season pickup for a cup run if he doesn't just call it quits. I don't see Brunette as a microphone kind of guy but I guess stranger things have happened.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:30 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

I could see Brunette get into coaching...

Old
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Northland Wild Man
Finnesotans?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I could see Brunette get into coaching...
I agree, at some point he will be a coach. I would really like to see him teach his behind the net tricks to some of the young players on the Wild.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
brunette would make an excellent end of the season pickup for a cup run if he doesn't just call it quits. I don't see Brunette as a microphone kind of guy but I guess stranger things have happened.
His skating declined severely last year to the point where he's practically a liability. If the Wild pick him up, I'll face-palm. I expect to see him retire very soon.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
His skating declined severely last year to the point where he's practically a liability. If the Wild pick him up, I'll face-palm. I expect to see him retire very soon.
He should follow in Almond's footsteps and enjoy a Euro vacation.

I'd love to see him as part of the Wild FSN crew at some point. He's not a dummy like some of the folks they've trotted out there.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Minnesota
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
He should follow in Almond's footsteps and enjoy a Euro vacation.

I'd love to see him as part of the Wild FSN crew at some point. He's not a dummy like some of the folks they've trotted out there.
According to this player-submitted essay about the NHL labor dispute...
Quote:
Europe is not the option that it once was. The money and lifestyle are nowhere near comparable to what a high-end NHL player is used to, and for most players the pro versus con argument is heavily weighted to North America.
Not sure Bruno would want to play over in Europe, especially when he's fast approaching retirement.

I'd agree with your second comment, though. The guy seems very personable and smart. I'd like to see him do some stuff for FSN.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:28 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Umm... seriously dude... his skating was ALWAYS a liability! Remember, we had a team with both John Scott and Derek Boogaard yet Bruno was BY FAR the worst and slowest skater on the team!

Old
07-21-2012, 06:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

My thoughts on whether the Predators will match the Weber offer sheet has done a 180....the more I think about it, the more I think that the Predators will just have too hard of a time coming up with all that upfront bonus money. My bet is that Poile is burning the phone lines seeing if he can swing some trades for those 1st round picks that will coming their way when they decline to match.

It would truly suck to be a Predators fan right now.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I don't know... most every team that has a player of theirs offer sheeted always takes the full week even though all but 1 in history has been matched.

I still think the Predators match.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
I don't know... most every team that has a player of theirs offer sheeted always takes the full week even though all but 1 in history has been matched.

I still think the Predators match.
A few things I know now that I didn't know yesterday ultimately made me change my thinking:

1) The fact that Poile has been actively trying to move Weber the past couple of weeks....

2) The bad blood that most likely exists between player and management after that arbitration hearing last summer. I mean, for cripes sake, Poile was using Yandle and Byfuglien as comparibles and made an offer of $4.75 million!! The arbitrator then b$tch-slapped Poile and awarded Weber $7.5 million.

3) I just don't get the feeling that the Predators have ever shown a willingness to spend the big $$ on any player before. Sure, Poile claims he was willing offer Suter a comparible contract....but I doubt his offer would've had as much upfront bonus money as Suter got with the Wild.

4) I also don't get the feeling that the ownership group would want to be on the hook for the $26 million in guaranteed cash over the next year when there is a very real chance of a lockout. The losses they would sustain would be too severe for a team in their financial condition, IMO.

All that being said, I wouldn't be shocked if the Predators match...but it would be out of desperation...not something they would want to do, that's for sure. But if I were a bettin' man (which I'm not), my bet would be the Predators walk away from this one and start the rebuilding process.

Last edited by MuckOG: 07-21-2012 at 06:51 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 06:53 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

The Predators had offered a fair market contract of up to 8yrs for Weber as well... but Weber wanted to force a retirement contract that he can only get under the current CBA.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:00 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
The Predators had offered a fair market contract of up to 8yrs for Weber as well... but Weber wanted to force a retirement contract that he can only get under the current CBA.
No one knows for sure, but I'm thinking that 8 year deal that Poile offered didn't have nearly the amount of upfront cash that the offer sheet he signed with the Flyers had.

If the offer sheet that the Weber signed had the money more evenly spread out over the term, I'm thinking that Poile may have already announced they were matching....or maybe wait the entire 7 days to stick it to the Flyers...but I'm just more skeptical now than I was yesterday.

Why would Poile be actively trying to trade Weber if his intention was to re-sign him? Could it be because Weber's agent was telling Poile behind the scenes that Weber wanted out of Nashville? Just pure speculation on my part...but his agent DID say that the events of July 4th changed everything for Weber. Could it be with that Suter leaving that the Predators would have a more difficult time competing in the West?

Closed Thread