HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Why Do Most Ranger Players Live in Manhattan?

Old
07-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Jax1166

vCash: 500
Why Do Most Ranger Players Live in Manhattan?

Just curious why this is the case.

Yankee players live in New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut, and even Long Island.

Giants players live in New Jersey, mainly.

I have no idea about Knick players....I will assume Mets players are in Long Island or Westchester or Connecticut while Jets are in New Jersey.

How come most Ranger players in a sport which pays less live in pricey Manhattan? At first I thought maybe hockey players are younger but they are just the same age as any other sport plus their practice facility is in Westchester.

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
broadwayblue

If you have a lot of money there is arguably no better place to live than in NYC. And despite the fact that other professional athletes often do make more money, even 4M/year is more than enough to have a very luxurious life in the big apple.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
If you have a lot of money there is arguably no better place to live than in NYC.
Just my opinion, but no matter how much money I have, I don't like the urban setting.

I'd much rather live somewhere in upstate NY.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:53 PM
Jax1166

Quote:
If you have a lot of money there is arguably no better place to live than in NYC.
Yes however many have families and NHL players have less than NFL and MLB players who live outside the city. Why do hockey players live there much more?

Jax1166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:57 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Just my opinion, but no matter how much money I have, I don't like the urban setting.

Sure, for many people the idea of a crowded urban environment is not appealing. But that said, there are thousands of quiet, suburban and/or rural places to live that are really not much different from one another. If you want to live in tranquility on a large, private property you can go pretty much wherever you want. But if you want the best in dining, entertainment, arts, etc. right outside your door it's hard to match what NYC has to offer.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Sure, for many people the idea of a crowded urban environment is not appealing. But that said, there are thousands of quiet, suburban and/or rural places to live that are really not much different from one another. If you want to live in tranquility on a large, private property you can go pretty much wherever you want. But if you want the best in dining, entertainment, arts, etc. right outside your door it's hard to match what NYC has to offer.
Absolutely. No question.

Everything is in NYC.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:01 PM
nyr5186

Hockey players blend in much easier than players of other sports. For the most part Marian Gaborik can walk down the street and not be noticed, whereas Eli Manning would have a swarm of people around him at all times.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:13 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Proximity to the Garden, for one. The Rangers used to practice exclusively in Rye, so they all lived in Westchester. That's why Tim Erixons birthplace is Port Chester.

Messier, Richter and Leetch changed the trend.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:17 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

If I was an athlete for a NY sports team there is no question I would live in Manhattan. I'm someone who loves convenience. I love the idea of walking out of my apartment and there are a million places to eat or a store if you need something. Can't wait until I can move off LI because I hate having to get in the car and drive somewhere all the time.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Just curious why this is the case.

Yankee players live in New Jersey, Westchester, Connecticut, and even Long Island.

Giants players live in New Jersey, mainly.

I have no idea about Knick players....I will assume Mets players are in Long Island or Westchester or Connecticut while Jets are in New Jersey.

How come most Ranger players in a sport which pays less live in pricey Manhattan? At first I thought maybe hockey players are younger but they are just the same age as any other sport plus their practice facility is in Westchester.
You just answered your own question.

Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, and the players live in New Jersey. The Mets play on Long Island, and the players live on Long Island. Why is it so hard to understand why players who play in Manhattan, live in Manhattan?

Why would you want to have to drive an hour or two to work everyday when you can live right there?

Ola

Had they been team players they would have all moved out to country in order to get Weber here.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:18 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Also, baseball players don't become millionaires until their late 20s or so. By that time they're usually married with kids so they choose suburban life. Jeter is the exception.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
You just answered your own question.

Giants and Jets play in New Jersey, and the players live in New Jersey. The Mets play on Long Island, and the players live on Long Island. Why is it so hard to understand why players who play in Manhattan, live in Manhattan?

Why would you want to have to drive an hour or two to work everyday when you can live right there?
I guess they go to the practise rink 6x as often as they go to MSG, so living in Westchester would make more sense from the perspective of that argument.

And before the current "era" most players didn't live on Manhattan (back to the 70's almost, right?).

I think they live on Manhattan for the same reason you and I would want to live there, its the best place on Earth.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I guess they go to the practise rink 6x as often as they go to MSG, so living in Westchester would make more sense from the perspective of that argument.

And before the current "era" most players didn't live on Manhattan (back to the 70's almost, right?).

I think they live on Manhattan for the same reason you and I would want to live there, its the best place on Earth.
During the summer, yes. But I would imagine they use MSG for practice during the season when they are playing games every other night. Also, I wouldn't want to drive to MSG from Westchester every other night for a home game. I'd want to live in the area and take a 15 minute drive to the arena.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:31 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

I think the fact that the team is so young is a big factor too.

07-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyday Im Hagelin View Post
During the summer, yes. But I would imagine they use MSG for practice during the season when they are playing games every other night. Also, I wouldn't want to drive to MSG from Westchester every other night for a home game. I'd want to live in the area and take a 15 minute drive to the arena.
I would actually assume otherwise (but saying that I am not a expert is an understatement). But isn't MSG pretty busy most of the time? I would actually have betted that they never practise at MSG, but like I said, I am just guessing.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:36 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post

I am definitely like that too, I am basically born and grown up in wilderness -- but if I could choose any city to live in, it would be NY.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:42 PM
NYRFAN218
Brass God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I would actually assume otherwise (but saying that I am not a expert is an understatement). But isn't MSG pretty busy most of the time? I would actually have betted that they never practise at MSG, but like I said, I am just guessing.
Very rarely do they practice at MSG during the season. It was only for the playoffs they changed that since the arena was available.

07-21-2012, 01:44 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatTrick Swayze View Post
I think the fact that the team is so young is a big factor too.
Yep was gonna say the same thing. Our team is extremely young and lots of guys were single. Several have gotten married and had kids in the last few years so don't be surprised if 5 years from now most live in west Chester to raise their families outside the city.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:47 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
Yep was gonna say the same thing. Our team is extremely young and lots of guys were single. Several have gotten married and had kids in the last few years so don't be surprised if 5 years from now most live in west Chester to raise their families outside the city.
Yeah, just take a look at who MDZ follows on twitter. lol

Old
07-21-2012, 02:22 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Yeah, just take a look at who MDZ follows on twitter. lol
lol Super models and Playboy chicks. Kid's meant to live in Manhattan.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
XLJ

Generally, most players live close to where they practice or play. Thats why most of the Giants live in Jersey.

Rangers could live in either Westchester or Manhattan. Its a young team so most prefer living in the city.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:53 PM
Glennsoe
Horndog

Has anyone seen any current players "around town" lately ?

Glennsoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:57 PM
BroadwayBlues
Angel Grove

Most of them are young & single.

The ones with families are usually in the burbs.

BroadwayBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:01 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Because their arena is in Manhattan while the Yankees and Giants play in the Bronx and Jersey.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote