HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Free Agency Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 12:51 AM
intangible

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedblue1223 View Post
Do you honestly think we are interested or in on Semin?

It doesn't matter what anything thinks about Semin, it isn't going to happen.
Oh, so you know this for a fact? Or you're just looking into your crystal ball? People said the same about Kariya, yet we landed him. Makes sense to add Semin.. Grachev isn't playing in the NHL, and Semin would be a nice addition to mentor Tarasenko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
So you think you can win in the playoffs without some warriors? The Capitals have clearly shown you can't.
You do need warriors, but you also need a bona fide star, something the Blues lack. Name the last team who won the Cup without a star. You're going back a decade at least. Fact is we need a star on this team; Petro isn't there yet. Semin might not have been as offensively productive under Hunter, but he can be that offensive threat and can help drive those other fast forwards like Perron, Oshie, MacDonald, and Tarasenko.

intangible is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Ignore42me*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by intangible View Post
Oh, so you know this for a fact? Or you're just looking into your crystal ball? People said the same about Kariya, yet we landed him. Makes sense to add Semin.. Grachev isn't playing in the NHL, and Semin would be a nice addition to mentor Tarasenko.

You do need warriors, but you also need a bona fide star, something the Blues lack. Name the last team who won the Cup without a star. You're going back a decade at least. Fact is we need a star on this team; Petro isn't there yet. Semin might not have been as offensively productive under Hunter, but he can be that offensive threat and can help drive those other fast forwards like Perron, Oshie, MacDonald, and Tarasenko.
Your crystal ball is wrong, Petro is a star.

Ignore42me* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:30 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:

1:Semin a mentor? really?!? this guy needs a mentor himself

2: the last team I remember win a cup without a bona fide forward star is Boston. their star was Chara and thats pretty compareable to us with Petro IMO but since you don`t think the 4th best d-man in the league (per votes) isn`t a star I guess we see the NHL with different eyes

and you really think Semin under Hitch will produce more than Semin under Hunter?
and he can be a more offensive threat with our guys than with Ovi and Backström?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:57 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post

2: the last team I remember win a cup without a bona fide forward star is Boston. their star was Chara and thats pretty compareable to us with Petro IMO but since you don`t think the 4th best d-man in the league (per votes) isn`t a star I guess we see the NHL with different eyes

and you really think Semin under Hitch will produce more than Semin under Hunter?
and he can be a more offensive threat with our guys than with Ovi and Backström?
Classic quote about Semin!

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:20 AM
STL fan in IA

Semin as a mentor to Tarasenko would be a horrible idea IMO. I'll take a hard-working person who speaks English over a Russian who is quite possibly the laziest player in the league any day.

It would be nice if the blues had a fellow Russian to mentor Tarasenko but it's not necessary and I would see Semin as a detriment, not any sort of positive.

STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Kariya was signed for 1 reason, to get interest back. We needed to put butts in the seats and we gave Kariya a bigger offer than anyone else. Completely different scenario.

Tarasenko can speak english, he doesn't need a Russian to be his mentor. And Semin would be a disaster of a mentor.

bleedblue1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:46 AM
TheBoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyflo View Post

This pretty well sums it up in my eyes.

TheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:50 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Pietrangelo is a much greater star than Semin already in my opinion. I would classify Semin as a good scorer. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't know how Semin would qualify as a star and not Pietrangelo.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:09 PM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Pietrangelo is the Cornerstone of the Franchise.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:49 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

If Pietrangelo plays this coming year like he did the second half last year, he'll win the Norris unanimously. He's a star. He made second team All-NHL this past year.

As for Semin, hard to think of a player who'd fit worse. Maybe Jokinen.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:01 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
If Pietrangelo plays this coming year like he did the second half last year, he'll win the Norris unanimously. He's a star. He made second team All-NHL this past year.

As for Semin, hard to think of a player who'd fit worse. Maybe Jokinen.
Colaiacovo, Martin, and Bouwmeester. That's 3.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:33 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
I actually meant it in terms of the player's playing profile being antithetical to the Blues' system. Jokinen and Semin strike me as two of the biggest outright mismatches. Colaiacovo, Martin and Bouwmeester aren't mismatches stylistically as much as not good enough for what we'd need them to do.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:47 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
I actually meant it in terms of the player's playing profile being antithetical to the Blues' system. Jokinen and Semin strike me as two of the biggest outright mismatches. Colaiacovo, Martin and Bouwmeester aren't mismatches stylistically as much as not good enough for what we'd need them to do.
Right, I just wanted to prove a point.

I also don't think Semin is as bad as some people make him out to be. I still don't think he is a fit or that we will actually purse him either though.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:58 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Do you think Semin would have the same issues as Stewart did last season, as far as his offensive style not fitting the Blues'?

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:51 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
So, umm, Weber signed an offersheet with Philly and stuff...
Heh. I'm also a bit amused at the lack of discussion about this topic. Whatever happens, I think this ends up working out great for the Blues. If Nashville doesn't match this offseason will likely cripple them competitively for 3 to 5 years. If Nashville does match, they probably won't have the cash available the next 4 years to address whatever roster shortcomings they have that they can't fill internally.

It's a win-win scenario for us. I feel terrible for Nashille fans, though. I have a lot of empathy for fans of that franchise.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:21 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
Do you think Semin would have the same issues as Stewart did last season, as far as his offensive style not fitting the Blues'?
I just think of Semin as a mercurial one-way winger with inconsistent effort, and that kind of player would stand out like a sore thumb on a Hitchcock team and among the assembled group the Blues have. He's obviously got high end skills, but you need to have players you can count on night in, night out and that's not Semin IMO.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:27 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastonBlues22 View Post
Heh. I'm also a bit amused at the lack of discussion about this topic. Whatever happens, I think this ends up working out great for the Blues. If Nashville doesn't match this offseason will likely cripple them competitively for 3 to 5 years. If Nashville does match, they probably won't have the cash available the next 4 years to address whatever roster shortcomings they have that they can't fill internally.

It's a win-win scenario for us. I feel terrible for Nashille fans, though. I have a lot of empathy for fans of that franchise.
There isn't too much to say about it. Obviously the AAV is a no-brainer because nobody doubts Weber's a 7.8M guy and will be for the vast majority of the contract. The issue is purely the front-loaded signing bonuses designed to get the Preds not to match. You can't lose Weber and Suter and be the same team so if they don't match, yeah, it'll be a huge blow. If they do match, and I have to believe they'll find a way considering they also apparently made huge offers to both Suter and Parise, they won't have a lot of room to add anyone in the next few seasons but their D and G will remain strong and the forward group will be the same type of offense by committee we're used to seeing. They won't be favorites but they'll remain competitive and probably continue to play the Blues tough.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:45 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
I just think of Semin as a mercurial one-way winger with inconsistent effort, and that kind of player would stand out like a sore thumb on a Hitchcock team and among the assembled group the Blues have. He's obviously got high end skills, but you need to have players you can count on night in, night out and that's not Semin IMO.
I think THIS is the key. I have no doubt that Semin is capable of playing Hitchcock's 2-way 200 foot game. He looked decent playing defence in Washington's system last season in the 4-5 games I watched. He didn't look like he was cruising or dogging it.

I think the worry is that he might take off a night every once in a while, which would cause a problem with the other players who play all out, all the time. He'd be resented for having the big scorer's contract and not being a "team player". The Blues' game under Hitchcock's sytem is very much a team game, needing ALL the players on each shift on the same page. Hockey is a game of inspiration. A team's mental atmosphere affects how fast their feet move. Confidence and a common full-out effort towards the goal to win puts more jump in the skates than players' minds concentrating on teammates "sabotaging" the team's cause.

The Blues have a young team, growing up together, striving together to become a winner. They have a very friendly and devoted-to-team atmosphere. Having a player lapse into selfishness could destroy that. That could be the difference in Stewart's case.

The Blues keeping Stewart, and Hitchcock not benching him for long periods, might be because Stewart WAS really trying hard all season, and NOT being "lazy" or selfish, but was thrown off by having to adjust his one-sided game to Hitchcock's 2-way, 200 foot game, on the fly, without having had a training camp and exhibition season,- while not having had the proper physical training for it. He was tired from not being fit enough for it, and also bewildered by the complexity of the defensive responsibilities that he wasn't trained for.

Semin, on the other hand, has proved that he is capable of playing the 2-way game in a structured system (as he did in Washington last season). But, he still hasn't "proved" that he can play "full-out" ALL season long for a coach and team, to shake his unfairly strong reputation as a "lazy" and selfish player.

If Semin would cost $2.5 million per year, possibly, Armstrong mike be willing to take a chance on him. But to pay a scorer's salary to him, and gamble that he might have a bad influence on team chemistry and the young players, is too risky.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:04 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:38 AM
kimzey59

Semin has no business being mentioned as a "mentor" for anybody, but I've actually warmed up to the idea after thinking about it a while. As Robb said; Semin did alright playing a 2-way game in Washington at the end of the year. It's not that he isn't capable of being a good 2-way forward, he's just never been required to be one before. I think with the right coaching and team leadership, Semin could follow the Brett Hull path to winning a Cup(latch on to a great group of 2-way players and be the offensive weapon they needed to get to that next level).

The price would have to be right(absolute max of 5.5 mil), but I'd have no problem bringing Semin in to be our "scorer". Put him on the LW next to McDonald and Stewart and you'll have a line that should create offense every time they step on the ice. You don't need to give them overly heavy minutes given that we have 2 lines of 2-way players, but that's the type of "3rd wave" line that teams simply wouldn't be able to stop. There's too much speed and skill there for teams to defend against(especially if they have to account for Backes, Oshie, Perron, Berglund, Tarasenko and Steen in the first 2 waves).

Having said that, I still prefer Doan or Morrow on that line instead. I'd rather have additional protection for McDonald than a pure sniper. Snipers can get shut down if their center gets taken out, which means the target would be firmly painted on McDonald's forehead if Semin is on his LW.

kimzey59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:36 AM
stlweir

Robb_K, do you think Stewart may have had a hard time adjusting to Hitchcock's system and was thinking oo much instead of reacting. There were times as you said he looked bewildered.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:32 PM
Robb_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
Robb_K, do you think Stewart may have had a hard time adjusting to Hitchcock's system and was thinking oo much instead of reacting. There were times as you said he looked bewildered.
Absolutely! He didn't have much hockey experience in late teens age due to playing high-level football. So, he was always behind and needing to "catch up" in terms of fundamentals. He has always relied on his great natural gifts of size, strength and straight-on skating speed to get him through, given his being behind in fundamentals training and experience (therefore hockey instincts).

So, naturally, it is more difficult for him and takes longer to pick up new concepts, such as the various responsibilities of a relatively complicated offensive/defensive system. Not having a camp/pre-season to work on that only hurts a player like him much more than the average player.

Now, having a camp and pre-season to work on mastering that system, and having trained intensely enough to be in good enough physical condition to carry out its responsibilities, Stewart may well be able to be an effective 2-way player in that system. The system, itself, due to defensive responsibilities, will likely cut down his chances for the old "cherry-picking type goals he used to score, but he may also get some other goals from being in the proper position on the cycle. I don't expect him to score as many goals per minute played as he was doing when he first came to The Blues. But he should be able to score 20-27 goals, and a similar amount of assists, even in this structured 2-way system.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 08:22 AM
STEVIE RAY BLUES

Do you know what drives me crazy about the poor opinions about Semin? It

Sounds remarkably similar to what I used to hear about Brett Hull! These

are the facts: The only thing that shakes a goalie in the NHL playoffs is

the puck behind him. We were physically outplayed in the playoffs

but not because we were not big enough. It was because our size did

nothing to put the puck in the net. I remember entire series where a goal

scorer could steal the show based on talent alone. We don't have anyone

who in basketball terms can "Create his own shot". Semin has this type

of talent and by the way no one ever suggested he was to be a mentor

for tank. I just said it would be nice to have another Russian player on

team.

STEVIE RAY BLUES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 09:55 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Actually the first post of this page suggested Semin as a mentor for Tarasenko.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2012, 01:14 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Rick Nash trade to New York Rangers in process now. Details to follow.
This could be interesting.