HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers acquire Casey Wellman

Old
07-21-2012, 12:20 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I don't think I've ever seen him play center in Minnesota. I thought he was a winger. Although Rangers Assistant GM Jim Schoenfeld says he can play any forward position. I think he's played a lot of center in the AHL. Actually Deveaux was his linemate in Connecticut last season.

I actually really liked Repik's last callup. We just couldn't give him any assurances and I guess he grew tired of making pittens in the AHL. Too bad.
Oh I did too. I'm just hoping with our kids and depth signings that they can be even more productive and effective when getting their chance as a recall.

-ghoste

Ghoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:08 PM
flapanthersfan

vCash: 500
Quote:
I think when Tallon said Wellman had 'top line ability' he meant that he could conceivably play in the top six(second line), which he could. He's been a PPG player in the AHL and he scored at a 0.5 PPG clip in the NHL last season despite not getting consistent top 6 icetime. He was only traded for a 5th because he wouldn't sign with the Rangers, so they had to get any value they could for him. He understandably did not see much opportunity on the Rangers in the next couple years. It'll be much easier to crack our roster. Also, these press statements are often overblown and flattering to the incoming player.

Wellman will provide competition in camp, and at the very least will be a great AHLer/callup.

if Tallon meant to say he can be a top-6 forward - he would have said that (as he did with Mueller)

like i said - i think you, and others, are overblowing this acquisition. i think he's being brought here with the intention of replacing matsumoto in SA and to add depth. if he surprises and earns a roster spot, awesome, but i wouldn't count on it.

flapanthersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 01:58 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapanthersfan View Post
if Tallon meant to say he can be a top-6 forward - he would have said that (as he did with Mueller)

like i said - i think you, and others, are overblowing this acquisition. i think he's being brought here with the intention of replacing matsumoto in SA and to add depth. if he surprises and earns a roster spot, awesome, but i wouldn't count on it.
I think 2 pages plus is too long for this acquisition...

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:03 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I think 2 pages plus is too long for this acquisition...
It's an indication of how hungry fans are to hear we've acquired someone who can make a difference on offense. We want to fantasize when the real thing ain't happening.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:

If Tallon meant to say he can be a top line player for the AHL team, he would have said that.

How am I overblowing this acquisition? I'm saying it's likely Wellman will be an AHLer, which is the same as what you're saying. Does he have a chance to make the Panthers? Yes, he does. It's foolish to think otherwise. If Wellman makes the team, then Howden and/or Santorelli will go down to the Rampage. So they will be getting help either way.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:29 PM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGoon View Post
It's an indication of how hungry fans are to hear we've acquired someone who can make a difference on offense. We want to fantasize when the real thing ain't happening.
This means we'll sign Semin.

Old
07-21-2012, 02:46 PM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:

He did say exactly that.

“Casey is a young, highly skilled forward who adds more depth to our team,” said Tallon. “He can play both center and right wing and we feel he has the ability to play in a top line role within our team. We look forward to his contributions to our club.”

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:49 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I think everyone is overlooking at the fact that Wellman can possibly be a skilled center and play in the top 6 for us. Did anyone think Patrick Sharp could be the Blackhawks leading scorer? Tallon doesn't just say something for no reason, he must really believe Wellman has the potential that no one else sees. I think this kid will be good, and he might be great. Or... he might fall, we don't know, but I think Tallon will surprise us once again with this trade.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:39 PM
KWGoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I think everyone is overlooking at the fact that Wellman can possibly be a skilled center and play in the top 6 for us. Did anyone think Patrick Sharp could be the Blackhawks leading scorer? Tallon doesn't just say something for no reason, he must really believe Wellman has the potential that no one else sees. I think this kid will be good, and he might be great. Or... he might fall, we don't know, but I think Tallon will surprise us once again with this trade.
Well, one thing's for sure, DT seems to be looking far and wide for the next acquisition. He's considering players that others may have given up on. He's maybe trying to be more creative partly because he has to due to financial limitations and partly because that's how he sees the path to the cup, by growing talent from draft picks and not yet mature acquisitions. In any case its pretty clear that he's not going to set a financial contract tone for the rest of the team by signing an expensive superstar.

KWGoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:01 PM
harv3317

these last two signings make dale look like an absolute genuis if they work out and don't taint his reputation if they don't. it's the thing legends are made of!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:43 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
He did say exactly that.

“Casey is a young, highly skilled forward who adds more depth to our team,” said Tallon. “He can play both center and right wing and we feel he has the ability to play in a top line role within our team. We look forward to his contributions to our club.”
actually, he said "we feel he has the ability to play in a top line role within our team. that, to me, insinuates he means the farm team.

for mueller, he directly said top-6 forward. i've never seen wellman play and i feel pretty comfortable saying peter mueller is far more skilled than casey wellman is. i seriously doubt tallon sees it any differently.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:46 PM
flapanthersfan

Quote:
If Tallon meant to say he can be a top line player for the AHL team, he would have said that.
that's exactly what my point - that his quote is insinuating that is what he meant.

Quote:
How am I overblowing this acquisition? I'm saying it's likely Wellman will be an AHLer, which is the same as what you're saying. Does he have a chance to make the Panthers? Yes, he does. It's foolish to think otherwise. If Wellman makes the team, then Howden and/or Santorelli will go down to the Rampage. So they will be getting help either way.
i wasn't only talking to you - and the posts above me already comparing him to patrick sharp and anointing tallon a "legend" (lol) because he acquired Casey Wellman are pretty laughable...

lets wait a year or two before we cross that bridge shall we? i'm not saying wellman sucks - never seen him play. but people are getting carried away here bigtime.

Old
07-21-2012, 11:49 PM
Tuco

Quote:
actually, he said "we feel he has the ability to play in a top line role within our team. that, to me, insinuates he means the farm team.

for mueller, he directly said top-6 forward. i've never seen wellman play and i feel pretty comfortable saying peter mueller is far more skilled than casey wellman is. i seriously doubt tallon sees it any differently.
I think he chose the word "within" very carefully. It means exactly what people here are talking about: likely SA, but if all stars align, Panthers.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:15 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
that's exactly what my point - that his quote is insinuating that is what he meant.
So when he's talking about Mueller he says it directly, but when he's talking about Wellman he insinuates? Now you're just contradicting yourself. He said "within our team". Our team, not the farm team.

Quote:
i wasn't only talking to you - and the posts above me already comparing him to patrick sharp and anointing tallon a "legend" (lol) because he acquired Casey Wellman are pretty laughable...

lets wait a year or two before we cross that bridge shall we? i'm not saying wellman sucks - never seen him play. but people are getting carried away here bigtime.
I'm not saying he's the next Pat Sharp though. All I'm saying is he has a chance to make the team and he could be a contributor on the Panthers within the next couple years. You admittedly have never seen him play yet you've already written him off from making the team out of camp despite his numbers making a strong case to the contrary. He has a decent chance to make the team, that's all I'm saying. Nothing I'm saying is unreasonable here.

Old
07-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

No one said Wellman is the next Sharp, looked to me like they were saying he could POSSIBLY be. Can he not be? Course he could. Is he? He hasn played a game.

I see could be, Tallon WOULD be, not is.

Relax. I'm cautious myself, but I don't see anyone going overboard.

07-22-2012, 02:42 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

Per twitter:

One year/$800K (two-way) contract.

-ghoste

Old
07-22-2012, 04:06 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Per twitter:

One year/$800K (two-way) contract.

-ghoste
One year? Damn. Was hoping for at least two. Depending on how he does next season, he's probably going to demand a 1-way next summer.

Old
07-22-2012, 07:49 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
No one said Wellman is the next Sharp, looked to me like they were saying he could POSSIBLY be. Can he not be? Course he could. Is he? He hasn played a game.

I see could be, Tallon WOULD be, not is.

Relax. I'm cautious myself, but I don't see anyone going overboard.
Actually I was thinking exactly of Sharp & Versteeg when we acquired Wellman. When Tallon first acquired both of them in Chicago, everyone said they were basically minor leaguers and didnt seem like much more than low risk-high reward trades (maybe not even that, just a minor league trade). It turned out both were high rewards. No reason why Wellman can't do the same and thats what Tallon is basically getting at. Its all in Wellman's hands now...he can come to camp and definitely make this team, playing on a scoring line, if he shows up and gives 110%.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:28 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I don't think anyone is. I think most people are being optimistic about this and hoping he can Santorelli himself into the top 6.

Saying he could be a Sharp or Versteeg is wishful thinking but it's happened before in similar situations. Rolling the dice with a 5th round pick is worth it.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 09:19 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Our offensive problems are solved. I can rest easy now.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2012, 10:19 PM
PariseSuterKoivu

vCash: 50
Wellman is a guy who's fallen between the cracks again and again. He just needs weight room work and seasoning in the AHL and he can be a top 6 type forward. Exactly the type you want on your AHL team. I'm really impressed by the Panther's personel decisions the past few years. I expect them to be a power in the east for years to come.

PariseSuterKoivu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2012, 07:13 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

Used to watch Casey at Umass for two years and even hung out with him a few times outside of hockey, he's a good kid and from seeing him play at Umass he was always the big game guy when you needed a goal. I think this will be a make or break year for him, but mainly because I think he'll show that he's valuable and stick with the panthers for a bit. If he can work on his core strength in order to up his battle level, he'll stick somewhere. His shot and speed are NHL quality

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2012, 06:09 PM
JP Mick
Fire trucks beware!

vCash: 120
HF has a nice little article featuring Wellman and other UMass grads looking to break into the NHL full time:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ay-towards-nhl

Quote:
Casey Wellman has been with three organizations since turning pro during the 2009-10 season, but this season could mark his best chance to become an NHL regular.

The Wild signed Wellman as a free agent out of the University of Massachusetts. Minnesota traded Wellman to the New York Rangers last season, and this summer he was traded once again to the Florida Panthers.

“The first time I was traded it was a little discouraging, but (this time) I am really excited, Wellman said.

“I have spoke with the GM in Florida (Dale Tallon), and it should be a good opportunity for me. I am pretty motivated and excited about it this time.”

JP Mick is offline   Reply With Quote