HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Bernier has asked for a trade.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:32 PM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Any interest in a package for a prospect like Jerry D'Amigo and a backup in Ben Scrivens?

Jerry D'Amigo + Ben Scrivens + 2nd Round Pick (2013)

Jerry D'Amigo is a LW. Compares his style to Zach Parise. Lock to be at least a 3rd line winger, 2nd line upside. Could use another season in AHL. Stud in AHL playoffs and still only 21 years old. Lombardi must know him well since he's a USA product. Scrivens is ready for the NHL, he was absolutely dominant in the AHL playoffs and is a quality person. Very evident he went to Cornell and has a good head on his shoulders. The 2nd round pick is in a deep draft.

I really want Jonathan Bernier in Toronto.
That's probably along the lines of what the Kings will end up getting for Bernier. I'm not opposed to that package. How has D'Amigo's development gone beyond what you mentioned above? I haven't followed him much since the World Juniors a couple years ago, but I remember liking him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
We have enough 3rd line wingers. Quality for quantity is not needed.
Would you like to trade JVR for King and Clifford?
That's not really comparable at all. JVR is much more proven than Bernier, and D'Amigo isn't a "3rd line winger." He's a prospect who is still developing.

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinghock View Post
We have enough 3rd line wingers. Quality for quantity is not needed.
Would you like to trade JVR for King and Clifford?
Argh, bad example. I wouldn't give up those two in that deal...it's JvR, not MR.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 10:12 PM
johnjm22

As unlikely as it sounds, it wouldn't surprise me if Bernier ended up in Philly.

I know everyone will refer to the fact they have Bryzgalov, and Bernier wants to be a number one et cetera, but Holmgren/Snider are constantly shaking things up. I doubt they're happy with their goaltending situation right now.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 04:18 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
That's probably along the lines of what the Kings will end up getting for Bernier. I'm not opposed to that package. How has D'Amigo's development gone beyond what you mentioned above? I haven't followed him much since the World Juniors a couple years ago, but I remember liking him.
He left the NCAA for the AHL and lasted the majority of the season. After hitting a rut, the Maple Leafs sent him to the OHL (Kitchener Rangers) where he thrived, playing against kids his own age and working on his offensive skills. He did very well in the playoffs and was very clutch for the Rangers. This past season, he spent it with the Toronto Marlies and showed signs of what he may develop into. I don't think he is given enough credit for his offensive talent but I think people focus more on his defensive game and the fact that he has this uncanny ability to show up at key points in the game.

He was absolutely brilliant in the AHL playoffs. Hard to believe that he's a 21 year old, stilling learning the pro game. He is also a fan favourite in front of the camera and appears to be loved by his teammates. D'Amigo also has the best beard I've seen in pro sports. Better than Wilson from the San Francisco Giants, given his age.

I would predict that D'Amigo would be an absolute hit in LA. Worst case scenario, he's your 3rd line LW, providing secondary scoring, killing penalties and a good team guy.

Best case scenario, he's a 2nd line LW you can use on the PK.

For those people that shoot down the idea of D'Amigo, do a little research. If he was a Kings prospect, you'd love him. He is one of the all-time leaders in points for team USA at the U20 World Junior Championships and was picked as the ECAC rookie of the year over Chicago draft pick Brandon Pirri, his teammate at RPI. D'Amigo was award rookie of the year despite being outscored by Pirri.

Scrivens is at least a #2 goaltender in the NHL. He is too good for the AHL, as witnessed by his .925 SV% through the 72 AHL games he's played in. As well as the .935 SV% he's put up in 17 AHL playoff games.

If Chicago offers a package like Brandon Pirri, Corey Crawford and a pick, do you take it?

It looks like a sexier offer than D'Amigo, Scrivens and a pick. But I don't think it is.

Plus, you get Bernier out of the conference.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:57 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Told #CBJ are still very much interested in #LAKings G Jonathan Bernier. Nothing appears close, but two sides have spoken in recent days.
https://twitter.com/Aportzline/statu...51056162082816

Posted 5 hours ago. Nothing we didn't already know, but it does reaffirm CBJ's interest.

I'd happily take the Blue Jacket's 2013 1st round pick, considering it will probably be top 5.

Old
07-21-2012, 12:02 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

Posted 5 hours ago. Nothing we didn't already know, but it does reaffirm CBJ's interest.

I'd happily take the Blue Jacket's 2013 1st round pick, considering it will probably be top 5.
We would probably have to add a forward prospect or pick to him to get their first, or I would bet they are seeking one of Clifford, Nolan, or King along with Bernier for a pick so high, maybe even more. They would want a roster player, preferably an offensive forward. Roster player + Bernier + pick/prospect.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:03 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post

If it is a 1st, it would be the Kings' 1st not the CBJ's 1st.

Sydor25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 12:36 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
If it is a 1st, it would be the Kings' 1st not the CBJ's 1st.
If it's the Kings 1st, then it's no deal (unless CBJ adds).

Dean should be trying for Columbus's 1st. He can sweeten the pot a little, and even take on Mason's contract. If Howson doesn't budge, then oh well. We keep Bernier.

Old
07-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

No way that it's Bernier straight for a top 5 pick. We would have to include someone like King, Nolan, Clifford or Loktionov.

CBJ wants forwards...and NHL ready ones at that.

So the likelihood of Bernier/Loktionov and a pick would get us CBJs 1st I would venture.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:11 PM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
No way that it's Bernier straight for a top 5 pick. We would have to include someone like King, Nolan, Clifford or Loktionov.

CBJ wants forwards...and NHL ready ones at that.

So the likelihood of Bernier/Loktionov and a pick would get us CBJs 1st I would venture.
It would suck to see Loktionov go too, but if it lands us Columbus' 1st, I'm all for it. He doesn't fit into the current or foreseeable roster and the 1st "buys" us development time and a potential top 10 pick. Chances are that 1st is off the table though. The best we could likely do is get back ours from the Carter trade. At which point CBJ needs to add.

Edit: To add though, I don't see how Columbus would be a likely destination for Bernier considering they have Mason and Bobrovsky sharing time now. Doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited by DapperDan: 07-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
I would give Bernier, Clifford, and Loktionov for it. I doubt they would take it though.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings' 1st round pick and a conditional pick (conditional on how many games Bernier appears in) would be good enough for me.

If Bernier appears in 40 or more games, the conditional pick will be a 2nd rounder in 2014. If he appears in less than 40 games, it'll be a 3rd round pick in 2014.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 03:56 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

I'd gladly do it for the return of the Kings first alone.

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:03 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Everyone going on about the Columbus 1st needs to give their head a shake.

Columbus is dealing away their top star for a package, so they are retooling, plus they are coming off a season in which they were the second worst team in the league. Hence, that pick is likely a top 5 pick, and virtually a lock for a top 10 pick. Even Columbus knows that. We aren't getting a top 10 pick for Bernier. We aren't getting a top 10 pick for Bernier and Loktionov/Nolan/etc. either.

Flip it around, would you be happy if LA traded their first which looks to be a top 10 pick guaranteed for a solid, but unproven young goalie and a B-Tier prospect/depth player?

Our (LA's) 1st and a conditional pick like what Ziggy proposed seems much more on target.

That siad, I'd be fine with a deal along the lines of Boone Jenner and a 2nd as well.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:28 PM
CNS
A World Alone

vCash: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Columbus is dealing away their top star for a package, so they are retooling, plus they are coming off a season in which they were the second worst team in the league. Hence, that pick is likely a top 5 pick, and virtually a lock for a top 10 pick. Even Columbus knows that. We aren't getting a top 10 pick for Bernier. We aren't getting a top 10 pick for Bernier and Loktionov/Nolan/etc. either.

Flip it around, would you be happy if LA traded their first which looks to be a top 10 pick guaranteed for a solid, but unproven young goalie and a B-Tier prospect/depth player?

Our (LA's) 1st and a conditional pick like what Ziggy proposed seems much more on target.

That siad, I'd be fine with a deal along the lines of Boone Jenner and a 2nd as well.
Two things:

1. Give credit where credit's due. CBJ was dead last in the NHL. Edmonton just won the draft lottery.
2. A deal for CBJ 1st could be conditional to protect it being a top 10. IE. The deal could be Bernier for conditional 1st + whatever and the condition being if the pick is in the top 10, the Columbus Dead Lasts, keep the pick and the Kings get their 2014 first. Doubt they'd do that cause barring DRASTIC changed, the Jackets will be a lottery team for the next decade and a half.

CNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:15 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Two things:

1. Give credit where credit's due. CBJ was dead last in the NHL. Edmonton just won the draft lottery.
2. A deal for CBJ 1st could be conditional to protect it being a top 10. IE. The deal could be Bernier for conditional 1st + whatever and the condition being if the pick is in the top 10, the Columbus Dead Lasts, keep the pick and the Kings get their 2014 first. Doubt they'd do that cause barring DRASTIC changed, the Jackets will be a lottery team for the next decade and a half.
You are correct on dead last, I forgot due to the draft order.

As to the protection, question for us would be do we want to wait. It's one thing to deal a plaer for draft picks, it's another to wait an additional year for that pick. It lowers the value of that pick, the same way there is a difference between dealing for a kid in the AHL versus in the WHL. AHL is closer. I hope we don't get a pick that carries over to the 2014 draft (though I admit that it'd be worth considering with Columbus' pick).

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:13 PM
funky

Ha Ha, thank God for Ecklund and beer, I just figured this thing out.

We are trading Bernier to Columbus for our first back, then we will be the team offer sheeting Kane.

Sorry, not having a crappy team has made this summer boring

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:07 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperDan View Post
Edit: To add though, I don't see how Columbus would be a likely destination for Bernier considering they have Mason and Bobrovsky sharing time now. Doesn't make sense to me.
It makes sense if one of those goalies (Mason likely) comes back the other way.

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:10 AM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but LA drafted Bernier #11 overall, right?

So you are saying that a goalie drafted at #11 who has met expectations and developed for years in the system into a bonafide NHL starting goalie is not worth a top 10 pick?

RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:15 AM
JT8888

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but LA drafted Bernier #11 overall, right?

So you are saying that a goalie drafted at #11 who has met expectations and developed for years in the system into a bonafide NHL starting goalie is not worth a top 10 pick?
Picks are like cars, the second you make the pick it loses the same relative value as when you buy a car and take it off the lot (hfboard logic).

JT8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:12 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I think we realistically will see something like Bernier for a Columbus prospect like...Theo Ruth (actually I think would be very nice) and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Ruth would bolster our thin stay at home defenseman prospects. You can almost guarantee that Columbus is NOT giving up any forward prospects.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT8888 View Post
Picks are like cars, the second you make the pick it loses the same relative value as when you buy a car and take it off the lot (hfboard logic).
This year's 20th pick is better than Bernier's draft year's 11th pick because the draft is that deep and JB's class was that weak.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:37 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
It makes sense if one of those goalies (Mason likely) comes back the other way.
Yup. Mason helps balance the deal.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:39 PM
kinghock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
I think we realistically will see something like Bernier for a Columbus prospect like...Theo Ruth (actually I think would be very nice) and a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Ruth would bolster our thin stay at home defenseman prospects. You can almost guarantee that Columbus is NOT giving up any forward prospects.
Dansk and 2nd for Bernier is better deal.

kinghock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

I think any deal that involves picks or prospects as the central return from Columbus is unlikely and totally counterproductive for their side.

Any deal where we get a two or three year away prospect for our side or we trade away a young NHL-ready forward is counterproductive to our side. We need NHL players in their 20s, maybe early 30s at the latest.

I know this is HF Boards but we're trying to win the Cup NOW, not five years from now.

King, Nolan and Clifford should not be traded. They have proven themselves to be able to play Sutter's system with an acceptable degree of success. We should offer the guys who are not part of this team yet who are extras.

A contending team that rolls four lines should not consider their immediate injury reserves as extra parts.

Last edited by Rorschach: 07-22-2012 at 02:58 PM.