HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toronto FC 2013 Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 500
you guys just got your superstar, and a reason to watch for the rest of this season and next.

the guy has superstar talent, footwork, and great character.

I am beyond pissed he got traded, especially to our rivals in toronto.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:34 PM
Slot 3
exitus acta probat

Like Lucbourdon, coming over here to congratulate you guys on acquiring Hassli.

Not the brightest of players - but man, he can hit the nastiest shots.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:35 PM
AndMat*

Still nothing on D thats a problem

Old
07-20-2012, 07:43 PM
AndMat*

The problem is we wasted are DP slot vancouver is probley adding a new DP.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:50 PM
Hyperglide

I just started watching TFC. It's growing on me. How is Hassli, is he one of the premium strikers in the league? I assume this is to replace Danny Koevermans going down?

Is this a long term move or a short term move?

Old
07-20-2012, 07:51 PM
NeverGoingToWin

We still have another one. We get to replace Koeverman's spot for the rest of the year. I am not sure why Hassili is a waste. We will hopefully sign McKenna.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:52 PM
NeverGoingToWin

He has a lot of natural talent but has a temper and has picked up an impressive amount of red cards.

Quote:
Jason deVos ‏@jasondevos
Hassli is recently married + bought a house in BC (with room for his wife's horses). Do you think he'll be happy about being traded? #nope
That is no good. Hopefully he will be okay with playing for us.

Old
07-20-2012, 07:59 PM
AndMat*

Well if danny injury does clear an international spot+dp its fine and not a bad trade.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:25 PM
AndMat*

How many DP's per team?

Old
07-20-2012, 08:26 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Three.

Old
07-20-2012, 08:34 PM
AndMat*

So we got 2 open DP slots?

Old
07-20-2012, 09:18 PM
NeverGoingToWin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
So we got 2 open DP slots?
1 for the rest of the year. Frings and hassli take up two.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:33 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLeafsTFCfan View Post
We still have another one. We get to replace Koeverman's spot for the rest of the year. I am not sure why Hassili is a waste. We will hopefully sign McKenna.
This.

Hassli has a club option on his contract for next year. Either way, Koevermans is out until next summer, and that DP spot will be open. If Hassli tears it up, you exercise that club option next year. If not, you leave it open until Koevermans comes back depending on how his recovery goes. All the while, there is still another DP spot which will likely be filled by a defender like Mellberg, McKenna, Bocanegra. This is a great move by TFC.

Old
07-20-2012, 09:36 PM
Dark Knight
Troll-Marov!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
This.

Hassli has a club option on his contract for next year. Either way, Koevermans is out until next summer, and that DP spot will be open. If Hassli tears it up, you exercise that club option next year. If not, you leave it open until Koevermans comes back depending on how his recovery goes. All the while, there is still another DP spot which will likely be filled by a defender like Mellberg, McKenna, Bocanegra. This is a great move by TFC.
McKenna would be great, too good.

07-21-2012, 12:07 AM
Finnish your Czech
Jermain Defriend

vCash: 50
I really like this move because Hassli has a club option for next season. If Koevermans is out for his career, and Hassli plays decent, then you keep the option. If Koevermans comes back, then you don't accept the option and sign a DP CB.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:56 AM
AndMat*

Toronto FC announced Saturday that the club has acquired forward Quincy Amarikwa in a trade with the New York Red Bulls in exchange for a conditional draft pick

Last edited by AndMat*: 07-21-2012 at 10:03 AM.
Old
07-21-2012, 10:04 AM
AndMat*

We got some Depth now... Still don't solve are CB problems

Old
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
shakes
Ancient Astronaut

Mariner said that this new guy Amarikwa is supposed to replace Kovermans? Come on. He's made some good moves recently but that statement is a head scratcher.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:31 PM
Vexxed14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakes View Post
Mariner said that this new guy Amarikwa is supposed to replace Kovermans? Come on. He's made some good moves recently but that statement is a head scratcher.
He just scored againt LFC in his first appearance. He's an energizer bunny out there. Should do well in the new system

Old
07-21-2012, 05:02 PM
TMLeafer

Not a bad game TFC vs Liverpool. Plenty of reserve/academy players playing but still, pretty good game.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:10 PM
AndMat*

Not a bad result

Last edited by AndMat*: 07-21-2012 at 05:22 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
Sproo

Whitecaps fan/season tix holder here--but I come in peace. I actually lived in TO for the first few years of TFC's existence and supported them for a time (loved going to see games in your section(s)), so I still have a bit of a soft spot for you guys, so I'll try my best to give as balanced of a perspective as I can.

Hassli has been extremely clutch for the caps. scoring what are probably the 4 most important goals in our MLS existence-- our first MLS goal, the world-class goal against Seattle later that year, a clutch extra-time winner against San Jose this season, and that rocket-volley he scored against TFC in the Amway game this year. Based on those 4 goals alone, he will forever be a legend for whitecaps fans. But apart from just a couple clutch goals this season, he has been quite ineffective and deservedly lost his spot in the starting 11. He is definitely strong, and has a rocket of a shot, and when presented with the opportunity he can score highlight-reel goals. But he's not very fast and often relies on others creating opportunities rather than making them for himself. He also relies on his strength rather than positioning to fight for loose balls, which often ends up with unnecessary fouls being called against him. He is also prone to emotional & unnecessary yellow/red cards. His first touch has not been very good this year, and he doesn't really have enough quickness to run past defenders. And for a big man he is pretty poor in the air (apparently he suffered a bad head injury in the past playing in europe...). I think it was clear to most 'realistic' whitecaps supporters that he was great to have as a sort of 'super sub' off the bench to help push for a late goal, but from a salary-management perspective it doesn't make sense to be paying DP money to someone to come off the bench late in the game.

That being said, I still think you guys will love him. He has a bit of Dichio mojo in him... he oozes intensity and his finishing can be world class with the right service. TFC's schedule and roster situation suits him well since it looks like he will be your go-to striker, so with increased opportunity he should be able to score some goals. But for all the TFC fans presuming you're getting a top-flight MLS DP striker will probably be a bit disappointed. I love the guy, but I would be surprised if a MLS team would renew his contract for DP money next year. I was hoping the Caps could decline his option for next year and renegotiate a non-DP contract for next year as more of a depth/secondary striker with a penchant for scoring clutch goals. Giving up a 1st rounder+international spot might be a bit steep...I was expecting we would get even less just to free up his salary and DP slot, but I guess draft picks are always a crapshoot. But considering the fantastic memories he's given to Caps fans I'm happy he's going to a club with a decent fan base, and where he'll see more opportunity to try and lengthen his career. Best of luck to Eric and I hope you enjoy watching him score some memorable goals... just not against the Caps!

Old
07-22-2012, 09:47 AM
AndMat*

Cann played yesterday that's Great news. if we can move Avila and use his cap space to fit Mellberg or kevin mckenna or Carlos Bocanegra then use that DP spot to Sign someone to help out Fringe on the Midfield this team should do great in champions league.

eck-Mellberg-Cann-Morgan

Lambe/Silvia-Fringe-***-Dunfield

Johnson-Hassli

Old
07-22-2012, 10:48 AM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fringe or Frings?

Btw great job on acquiring Hassli. He's going to be a PITA for other teams, especially my Impact.

Old
07-23-2012, 12:26 PM
LeafsTFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndMat View Post
Cann played yesterday that's Great news. if we can move Avila and use his cap space to fit Mellberg or kevin mckenna or Carlos Bocanegra then use that DP spot to Sign someone to help out Fringe on the Midfield this team should do great in champions league.

eck-Mellberg-Cann-Morgan

Lambe/Silvia-Fringe-***-Dunfield

Johnson-Hassli
I don't see Mellberg signing here if he's not a DP. McKenna could maybe be enticed to come in for less than a DP contract.

Closed Thread