HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 02:54 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

vCash: 500
2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

http://www.kickstarter.com/

who is setting it up? How much will the Pens and Rags pay to keep Weber off the Flyers? I hear the Preds suddenly started selling a LOT of season tickets to two large out-of-market companies

Let's go Preds match that ****

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 07-21-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

We really should start it up.

Screw the flyers, go Preds and damn you Weber?

Last edited by Antaris: 07-21-2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

I'm bit drunk. What's kickstarter?

Old
07-21-2012, 03:30 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I'm bit drunk. What's kickstarter?
a website to raise money for stuff. usually for new products and stuff I guess. You pledge money to get projects "kickstarted" I guess

in this case, we would be kickstarting the matching of this offersheet. Its a joke

Old
07-21-2012, 03:32 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Am I the only one who thinks this Doan situation is hilarious? All these teams courting this guy as if he's a superstar or something, rather than a solid 50-60 point player. I know, I know, leadership, he plays the game the right way blah blah blah, but honestly? I'm not sure if it speaks more to Doan being overrated or how thin this FA class is.

I don't think Doan is someone worth waiting weeks and weeks for, just my opinion.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I still want Semin over Doan.

Just wish this would end really.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:34 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this Doan situation is hilarious? All these teams courting this guy as if he's a superstar or something, rather than a solid 50-60 point player. I know, I know, leadership, he plays the game the right way blah blah blah, but honestly? I'm not sure if it speaks more to Doan being overrated or how thin this FA class is.

I don't think Doan is someone worth waiting weeks and weeks for, just my opinion.
when there aren't other options you don't really have a choice but to wait for him.

And 50-60 points is a very good addition to any team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
I still want Semin over Doan.

Just wish this would end really.
Yep. I wish I had ANY idea what Semin was even doing. At least we hear stuff about Doan.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Coach John McGuirk
Bylstarded

Just expect nothing of significance to happen for this team until the deadline. That's the mentality I'm taking. Everything that might happen until then is just surprise fun time.

Maybe we'll get Perry at the deadline.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:36 PM
BlindWillyMcHurt

Quote:

Yeah, I agree. And some of the figures I've seen thrown around are absolutely ludicrous for a player of his caliber/age. Doan would be a nice addition for the short term... but certainly not anything close to these 7+ million, 4 year term deals that keep popping up in rumors.

This whole Weber/Philly thing has me mildly depressed, too.

It certainly hasn't been a great offseason so far. Or anything close to it.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Offer sheet Benn!!!!!!

$6.5M / 6 years!! 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd if I remember correctly.

Just kidding. Dallas would match and Shero don't want to piss them off.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Antaris
Totally Trustworthy

I wish we could hear something about Semin that wasn't a rumor from some shady russian sports magazine.

Last I heard was something about Semin's agent saying that Washington kept making him offers, that he declined.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:42 PM
SEALBound

If Philly gets Weber, I want Couturier going the other way. Couts + Weber against Malkin...ummmm...nah.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Crosby and Malkin will shred all teams, so don't worry!!!

Old
07-21-2012, 03:49 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
when there aren't other options you don't really have a choice but to wait for him.

And 50-60 points is a very good addition to any team.

It would be a good addition, but not a "oh my god, we must have this" addition. I'd rather them take a shot at Semin or even Kostitsyn.

If they were to get Kostitsyn short term, they'd have more time to let the defense develop, and see where they're at with guys like Despres and Dumoulin, who can step in, who needs more time ect. Then you're in a position where you can possibly move one of the vets for a more long term solution up front. Or maybe Kostitsyn or Semin click here and you don't need to do that.

I just worry a little that in waiting for Doan, they miss out on other options.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:55 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEALBound View Post
If Philly gets Weber, I want Couturier going the other way. Couts + Weber against Malkin...ummmm...nah.
Pollie wanted Schenn and Couturier for Weber, Homer said no and then sent Weber and offer-sheet. I can't believe no other team in the league didn't send Weber a sheet first.

Old
07-21-2012, 03:59 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:

I wouldn't put anything off for a slim chance at Doan either, but it's easy to see why teams looking to get over the hump would want him.

He's pretty much the prototype of who you want on your side in a playoff war of attrition.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
3, 2, 1...Blast Off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
Pollie wanted Schenn and Couturier for Weber, Homer said no and then sent Weber and offer-sheet. I can't believe no other team in the league didn't send Weber a sheet first.
They all probably figured Poile would do what he probably will do: match. Philly's desperate enough for a #1 defenseman to try anything at this point, though.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
They all probably figured Poile would do what he probably will do: match. Philly's desperate enough for a #1 defenseman to try anything at this point, though.
I miss Chris Pronger..

Old
07-21-2012, 04:07 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I miss Chris Pronger..
Pronger is one heck of a guy. Even I'm a Pens fan, I have to say he is a stud in every way!

Old
07-21-2012, 04:09 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
I wouldn't put anything off for a slim chance at Doan either, but it's easy to see why teams looking to get over the hump would want him.
He's pretty much the prototype of who you want on your side in a playoff war of attrition.
Well, yeah, that's pretty much how I see him too. A guy to give that team a little bit extra when they need it, but that's part of what makes this whole thing so mystifying to me. He's a 35 year old guy that's going to be a complimentary player, sure he has the intangibles, but he still is what he is.

And up until this year he's had basically no meaningful playoff experience. That's hardly his fault, but it's hard for me to say that this is a guy that's been to the highest level and knows what it takes to succeed there.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
It would be a good addition, but not a "oh my god, we must have this" addition. I'd rather them take a shot at Semin or even Kostitsyn.

If they were to get Kostitsyn short term, they'd have more time to let the defense develop, and see where they're at with guys like Despres and Dumoulin, who can step in, who needs more time ect. Then you're in a position where you can possibly move one of the vets for a more long term solution up front. Or maybe Kostitsyn or Semin click here and you don't need to do that.

I just worry a little that in waiting for Doan, they miss out on other options.
Kostitsyn simply isn't as good at hockey as Doan. I'd take him over nothing, but as of right now we have no reason to believe that we have any other plans on hold because of Doan.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:10 PM
Flyers Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Pronger is one heck of a guy. Even I'm a Pens fan, I have to say he is a stud in every way!
I would much rather have Chris Pronger and four 1sts than Shea Weber.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:13 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

I was out of the loop for a week or two out of state and was shocked to read about this in the newspaper.
If the NHL gets their way and the cap goes down, the Flyers will have to dump a couple guys, especially with Giroux having maybe an opportunity to become the highest paid player in the league in a couple years. I heard the flyers have 70 mil worth of players signed. If the Preds don't match, there may be just as many negative possibilities as positive for Philly with such a super long contract.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Muscles4Malkin
Top-6 Beau

Quote:
I would much rather have Chris Pronger and four 1sts than Shea Weber.
I loved Pronger when he was in Ducks. I was on tears when Ducks won the cup ans Selanne too.

Ans? wtf? ok, I'm officially drunk!

Old
07-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman View Post
I was out of the loop for a week or two out of state and was shocked to read about this in the newspaper.
If the NHL gets their way and the cap goes down, the Flyers will have to dump a couple guys, especially with Giroux having maybe an opportunity to become the highest paid player in the league in a couple years. I heard the flyers have 70 mil worth of players signed. If the Preds don't match, there may be just as many negative possibilities as positive for Philly with such a super long contract.
Signing Weber will put them right at the current cap. Putting Pronger on LTIR will put them 5M under. If the cap goes down and they have to get rid of other players, they'll do that. You don't sign Weber and become a worse team; he's too good.

Closed Thread