HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Free Agency Thread - Part Fünfzehn: Predators Kickstarter Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Flyers Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
I loved Pronger when he was in Ducks. I was on tears when Ducks won the cup ans Selanne too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIekR7q782M

That video gives me chills, plus the part where Versteeg said Chris Pronger would shove his stick up his butt.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:19 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this Doan situation is hilarious? All these teams courting this guy as if he's a superstar or something, rather than a solid 50-60 point player. I know, I know, leadership, he plays the game the right way blah blah blah, but honestly? I'm not sure if it speaks more to Doan being overrated or how thin this FA class is.

I don't think Doan is someone worth waiting weeks and weeks for, just my opinion.
No one is waiting weeks for individuals, they're are waiting on the CBA.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
I would much rather have Chris Pronger and four 1sts than Shea Weber.
And use of that 50th roster contract.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:27 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
Kostitsyn simply isn't as good at hockey as Doan. I'd take him over nothing, but as of right now we have no reason to believe that we have any other plans on hold because of Doan.
Doan is better, but Kostitsyn will be cheaper. With some of the numbers being tossed around for Doan, including the longer term, I'd rather see them take a shot at Kostitsyn. If Doan was younger, I'd be less hesitant.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:30 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
**** You, Duthie

Quote:
Well, yeah, that's pretty much how I see him too. A guy to give that team a little bit extra when they need it, but that's part of what makes this whole thing so mystifying to me. He's a 35 year old guy that's going to be a complimentary player, sure he has the intangibles, but he still is what he is.

And up until this year he's had basically no meaningful playoff experience. That's hardly his fault, but it's hard for me to say that this is a guy that's been to the highest level and knows what it takes to succeed there.
True impact players are few and far between on the open market though, and that goes for most years. Once the one or two big guys go, there are still a lot of teams with cap space left in the lurch, looking for a significant piece to add.

Quote:
Doan is better, but Kostitsyn will be cheaper. With some of the numbers being tossed around for Doan, including the longer term, I'd rather see them take a shot at Kostitsyn. If Doan was younger, I'd be less hesitant.
Yeah, with our big guys hitting UFA in a couple seasons, I really wouldn't want any of this year's UFAs signed more than 2 years.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:33 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
we have money to spend though, I'd rather pay for the better player. The term is a bigger issue.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:49 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Am I the only one who thinks this Doan situation is hilarious? All these teams courting this guy as if he's a superstar or something, rather than a solid 50-60 point player. I know, I know, leadership, he plays the game the right way blah blah blah, but honestly? I'm not sure if it speaks more to Doan being overrated or how thin this FA class is.

I don't think Doan is someone worth waiting weeks and weeks for, just my opinion.
Exactly, he's not signing here anyway. Doesn't mean, though, that when he's signs somewhere else we won't see a burst of "no one like us" comments again.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
we have money to spend though, I'd rather pay for the better player. The term is a bigger issue.
Yeah, the term is the bigger concern. I wouldn't go beyond 2 years. I wouldn't want to see them handcuffed by giving a big three year deal to a 35 year old.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what they'd have to add to Kennedy to pry Clutterbuck out of Minnesota. I won't ask on the trade board, because we all know how that goes.

Old
07-21-2012, 04:57 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Yeah, the term is the bigger concern. I wouldn't go beyond 2 years. I wouldn't want to see them handcuffed by giving a big three year deal to a 35 year old.

On a completely unrelated note, I wonder what they'd have to add to Kennedy to pry Clutterbuck out of Minnesota. I won't ask on the trade board, because we all know how that goes.
not sure they have any reason to do a trade centered around those two. They are right at the cap already, they won't be looking to increase the cost of their third line.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:10 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
not sure they have any reason to do a trade centered around those two. They are right at the cap already, they won't be looking to increase the cost of their third line.
Maybe Fletcher and Yeo really like Kennedy and feel a need to add him .

In all honesty, it's more of fantasy scenario, but I'd like to see them replace Kennedy with someone more physical, and in Clutterbuck's case, a bit more versatile. I don't have the TK hate that some do, but I'd to see that line get harder to play against. I also wonder if a continued resurgance of clutch and grab will limit Kennedy's effectiveness at a certain point.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:32 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaris View Post
I wish we could hear something about Semin that wasn't a rumor from some shady russian sports magazine.

Last I heard was something about Semin's agent saying that Washington kept making him offers, that he declined.
Ya ... and even the shady Russian press really has nothing to report over-all. Only other thing I've heard is about the Canes making him a 1-year offer. Don't see that happening because he wants term. And there are no Russians on the team

Doesn't KHL training camp start soon?

Old
07-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Truer words. Especially now that there's almost no way he's signing ANYwhere but PHX. People just keep wishing despite the odds.

I wouldn't complain if he was on a reasonable deal but he is definitely not a game-changing type player. Complimentary all the way. Much as I hate to admit it, Semyonka has the potential to be a much bigger impact. I don't happen to think he would make good on it but at this point I want Shero to either sign him or say "we're done for the summer". Three weeks of this **** is enough.

And whoever was saying it: Pronger + 4 late 1sts < Weber. Maybe not 5 years ago but definitely it's true today, even if there was no concussion issue. Pronger has been slowing down and those picks are not enough to make it worth more than the best D in the NHL, in the prime of his career.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:41 PM
Henrik To Daniel

Canucks fan here. I posted this one the Canucks board and another forum and it was received positively. Wanted to get Pens' fans thoughts.

Mason Raymond for Tyler Kennedy

Both struggling players that are coming off mediocre seasons. Both had career years a couple of years ago and have failed to repeat that success for various reasons.

Raymond does not fit anywhere in our top 9. He doesn't mesh well with Kesler on the 2nd line and doesn't fit on our third line with Hansen and Higgins. On Pittsburgh he would get to play with Crosby or Malkin seeing as how they need wingers, one to replace Sullivan from last year especially.

Kennedy would be a good fit with the Canucks. He is a good bottom 6 player and can play in the top 6 when necessary. He plays a gritty game unlike Raymond who is a perimeter player. Not only that, but he plays C and would look good on the third line with Hansen and Higgins. He also brings Cup experience to the line-up. The only flaw with Kennedy is that he doesn't PK, but neither did Raymond until AV made him and now he's pretty good at it.

Their cap hits are also pretty much a wash. Kennedy has one year left at 2M and Raymond has one year left at 2.275. The only difference is that Kennedy will be a RFA and Raymond a UFA.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - UFA
Higgins - Kennedy - Hansen
Weise - Malhotra/Lapierre - Kassian

Even though the Pens are one of my favorite teams in the East I'm not sure what line combos they are going to use next year but I gave the top 6 a shot:

Neal - Malkin - Raymond
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis

Old
07-21-2012, 05:42 PM
DegenX
#FireMorehouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Truer words. Especially now that there's almost no way he's signing ANYwhere but PHX. People just keep wishing despite the odds.

I wouldn't complain if he was on a reasonable deal but he is definitely not a game-changing type player. Complimentary all the way. Much as I hate to admit it, Semyonka has the potential to be a much bigger impact. I don't happen to think he would make good on it but at this point I want Shero to either sign him or say "we're done for the summer". Three weeks of this **** is enough.

And whoever was saying it: Pronger + 4 late 1sts < Weber. Maybe not 5 years ago but definitely it's true today, even if there was no concussion issue. Pronger has been slowing down and those picks are not enough to make it worth more than the best D in the NHL, in the prime of his career.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Til the End of Time

i am starting to get legit worried that weber is going to end up on the flyers, whether thru the offer sheet or a trade.

that could be very bad for sid's brain; hell i'll be happy if the pens sign no one as long as weber is away from the atlantic division.

Old
07-21-2012, 05:44 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post

Smart ass. Hey, I admitted a number of times I wouldn't complain if he was signed for a reasonable deal, I just think he'll be another one and done at the end of the year. There ain't no fire in his belly!

Old
07-21-2012, 05:59 PM
TravisUlrich
Eternal Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin View Post
Offer sheet Benn!!!!!!

$6.5M / 6 years!! 2 firsts, 2nd and a 3rd if I remember correctly.

Just kidding. Dallas would match and Shero don't want to piss them off.
Meh, they must already be pissed at us over the last deal we made.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:20 PM
Ominous Grey

I'm sorry, I don't get the Pronger lovefest.

I always disliked the guy. As soon as he started pulling dirty hits on the Blues. Then the subsequent boardings/hits. Then the jumping from team to team. Then the Flyers. Then the media disrespect. etc., etc.

However, I feel absolutely terrible for his current situation, and he was a darn good player. I do hope he makes a complete and total recovery, and that his quality of life returns back to normal.

Last edited by Ominous Grey: 07-21-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrik To Daniel View Post
Canucks fan here. I posted this one the Canucks board and another forum and it was received positively. Wanted to get Pens' fans thoughts.

I talked about this on the trade board, but I think both teams might as well keep what they have. I don't think Raymond fits in any better here than he does in Vancouver, and he doesn't bring anything to the top six that Dupuis doesn't. I don't see much point in this trade from either side.

Kennedy is listed as a center, but he's barely played center as pro. I think I've seen him line up as a center maybe twice in his entire career. When the Pens needed a center this year, they converted Dupuis and let him learn the position before using Kennedy there, so that's something to consider.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:21 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:

Neal - Malkin - Raymond
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Yes, please. Even if we do snatch Doan or something, this is a good depth player. A step up from Kennedy in terms of skill.

I'm sure others will disagree, but for me, it makes a ton of sense. If only to dump TK for a player with top-6 potential.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:

Both struggling players that are coming off mediocre seasons. Both had career years a couple of years ago and have failed to repeat that success for various reasons.

Raymond does not fit anywhere in our top 9. He doesn't mesh well with Kesler on the 2nd line and doesn't fit on our third line with Hansen and Higgins. On Pittsburgh he would get to play with Crosby or Malkin seeing as how they need wingers, one to replace Sullivan from last year especially.

Kennedy would be a good fit with the Canucks. He is a good bottom 6 player and can play in the top 6 when necessary. He plays a gritty game unlike Raymond who is a perimeter player. Not only that, but he plays C and would look good on the third line with Hansen and Higgins. He also brings Cup experience to the line-up. The only flaw with Kennedy is that he doesn't PK, but neither did Raymond until AV made him and now he's pretty good at it.

Their cap hits are also pretty much a wash. Kennedy has one year left at 2M and Raymond has one year left at 2.275. The only difference is that Kennedy will be a RFA and Raymond a UFA.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Booth - Kesler - UFA
Higgins - Kennedy - Hansen
Weise - Malhotra/Lapierre - Kassian

Even though the Pens are one of my favorite teams in the East I'm not sure what line combos they are going to use next year but I gave the top 6 a shot:

Neal - Malkin - Raymond
Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
If Raymond did get traded here he would play with Sid

Old
07-21-2012, 06:23 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by DegenX View Post
Redd Foxx. get the **** out of my brain. you know Redd received a special thanks in the credits of Terrence Malick's Days of Heaven for the use of this joke:

"I saved your life today."
"How?"
"I killed a ****-eating dog."

Old
07-21-2012, 06:26 PM
Ominous Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
Exactly, he's not signing here anyway. Doesn't mean, though, that when he's signs somewhere else we won't see a burst of "no one like us" comments again.
I disagree.

I see a much higher possibility of Doan coming here than I did a week ago. I don't see him returning to Phoenix as the most probable scenario any more. It's the Rangers, Canucks, or us, IMO.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:33 PM
gordie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Til the End of Time View Post
i am starting to get legit worried that weber is going to end up on the flyers, whether thru the offer sheet or a trade.

that could be very bad for sid's brain; hell i'll be happy if the pens sign no one as long as weber is away from the atlantic division.
I want the Flyers to acquire Weber, but just not for 4 1st rounders. If Polie can somehow get Holmdumb desperate enough to give up Brayden Schenn,Couturier a young defensman off the roster and draft picks you will see a Philly team become a one line, one defensive pairing team with no goaltender but plenty of journeymen. I think even Dan Bylsma would be able to overcome that and beat them regularly.

Last edited by gordie: 07-21-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ominous Grey View Post
Yes, please. Even if we do snatch Doan or something, this is a good depth player. A step up from Kennedy in terms of skill.

I'm sure others will disagree, but for me, it makes a ton of sense. If only to dump TK for a player with top-6 potential.
Kennedy is also a solid depth player, I wouldn't move him unless he's a piece in a deal for a legit top 6 winger (unlikely) or an upgrade on the defense and physicality on the third line. Raymond is just a softer, faster Kennedy. The lack on ice awareness and tunnel vision that people hate about Kennedy are just as big of an issue with Raymond, the difference is Raymond isn't willing to pay the price or go into high traffic areas to make up for it.

Kennedy does fine on the third line here, I don't like the idea of adding a perimeter player to the bottom six when so much of the team's success is predicated on its cycling.

Closed Thread