HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues Trade Proposals Part 3

Closed Thread

Old
07-21-2012, 05:47 PM
Deko

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifetimebluesfan View Post
Someone over on stltoday boards brought this up:

PHI:
Steen
2014 First

STL:
Braydon Coburn

I don't like the idea of trading a core piece, and I don't think it would happen, but a guy like coburn would be a good partner for petro..
Coburn would be an absolute daydream... But I don't see Flyers doing that trade, they have so much offensive talent and Coburn continues to be very important d-man for the Flyers even if Weber joins them.

But to be more realistic, could this kind of trade work?

BUF:

Matt D'Agostini

STL:

Jordan Leopold

Old
07-21-2012, 05:58 PM
kimzey59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deko View Post
Coburn would be an absolute daydream... But I don't see Flyers doing that trade, they have so much offensive talent and Coburn continues to be very important d-man for the Flyers even if Weber joins them.

But to be more realistic, could this kind of trade work?

BUF:

Matt D'Agostini

STL:

Jordan Leopold

Value might be there but Leopold is not what we need.
We're better off bringing Colaiacovo back if that's what we'd have to resort to.

Old
07-21-2012, 06:33 PM
stlweir

I just don't see the Blues making a deal for a D man that involves a top 9 forward. The forward talent up front is a strength of this team. I think Cole will be fine and get better as the season progresses.

Old
07-25-2012, 10:56 PM
BadgersandBlues

So let me premise this by saying I'm completely fine with going into the season with Ian Cole as our #6 d-man, and keeping an eye out for that #2 guy, who is necessary if we want to get past the second round.

But how fun would this be if we could pull this off:

Trade Cole, D'ags, 2nd (Ott) for Jay-Bo and Backlund.

Trade Jay-Bo, Stewart, 1st, 2nd (ours) for OEL.

Sign Shane Doan to a 3 year contract.

Sign veteran depth defenseman.

Win the Cup.

Our lines:

Steen-Backes-Oshie
Amac-Berglund-Doan
Perron-Backlund-Tank
Sobotka-Nichol-Langs

OEL-AP
Jackman-Shatty
Russell-Polak

Halak
Elliott
Scratches: Reaves/Porter/Depth Dman

Call-ups: Schwartz/McCrae/Hensik/Cracknell; Woywitka/Fairchild/Chorney etc.

Schwartz can replace Amac next year, and by the time Doan's contract is up, hopefully Rattie will be ready to step in, as well as one of Ponich/Edmundson for Jackman.

Why it could work: Because it would be awesome, duh.

Why it won't work: Because that's much more realistic, der.

In truth, I could -possibly- see this working. I think Cole/D'ags/second is actually somewhat fair for Jay-Bo and Backlund. I don't know much about Backlund, other then he's a former first rounder who seems hasn't really flourished yet, but he has decent (not great) size, and is still young. I feel like him for D'ags straight up would be a more then fair trade, and it would work for us as we are shifting assets away from a strength (wing) to a place a need (center). Perhaps someone with more knowledge on Backlund can tell me why this might be a great/horrible idea.

The second part of that trade would essentially be Cole and a 2nd (Ott) for Jay-Bo. First off, I think Ott won't do as well this year as they did last year, and frankly not make the play-offs. So that pick is easily in the top 40 in a very deep draft in my mind. Cole is a -really- solid prospect in my book. As I said at the beginning of this post, I think he's going to be fine in the regular season, as long as we don't expect him to be the messiah. I think giving up a blue-chip D prospect and a top 40 pick in a deep draft is worth it to move Jay-Bo, especially seeing what Rick Nash just went for. I also feel that Backlund is not as established as D'ags, so this also helps sway the trade imo.

The second trade is even less likely, as Phoenix is currently neck deep in what the Blues were in just a few months ago in terms of ownership and finance. So taking on around 10 million dollars of salary for a guy on an ELC is pretty much never going to happen. But -if- this guy can buy the franchise, it would be a pretty good splash to make, as you are trading from a -huge- position of strength (I mean seriously, go look at their D-man sometime, it's ridiculous how many blue-chip prospects they have on the blue-line) plus it gets them to the cap floor, something they are in desperate need of help to get to. (They have 22 players under contract and they are 10 million dollars under the cap, albeit without Shane Doan.) They could then move Yandle/Jay-Bo for other assets as well. (Such as scoring help)

Obviously, if we could pull off the first two moves, signing Shane Doan would still be a huge challenge as every team on the East Coast seems to want to give him 6+ million dollars.

Anyway, I was just a bit bored, and thought I would predict the future for everyone as a public service. Enjoy!

Old
07-25-2012, 11:22 PM
ChicagoBlues

Dude, not long ago this board had virtual brawls because of D'Agostini for Backlund trade talk.

That exact trade was proposed a couple months ago or whatever and I was all over it. A few others were down with it, but otherwise Backlund got slammed here. I am for it. We know JayBo's compete level in the NHL and we don't know Cole's. An established, known quality and quantity is better than an unestablished, unknown quality and quantity, imo. (unless his name is Gretzky or Crosby etc.)

Last edited by ChicagoBlues: 07-25-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old
07-25-2012, 11:28 PM
ChicagoBlues

But........what you really want is a three-way trade, which has happened, but not lately afaicr.

To Blues: OEL and Backlund

To Calgary: Cole and D'Agostini plus a 2nd-round pick

To Phoenix: Bouwmeester and Stewart plus a 1st and 2nd-round pick

Do I have this right?

Old
07-26-2012, 12:31 AM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
OEL is completely untouchable guys. He's their Petro.

Thats brutal for Phoenix no offense.

I'm not sure why so many Blues fans were down on D'Agostini for Backlund swap.

Old
07-26-2012, 03:43 AM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inglorious One View Post
OEL is completely untouchable guys. He's their Petro.

Thats brutal for Phoenix no offense.

I'm not sure why so many Blues fans were down on D'Agostini for Backlund swap.
I dislike the term "untouchable." No one in this league is ever untouchable. If Gretzky could get traded twice anyone can.

I mean, I love AP. But if LA calls up and says hey, we want to trade you Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, and Drew Doughty, do you really say, oh no sir, I'm sorry, AP is untouchable! I understand that this will never happen, but you get the point.

Now, you could say that OEL is -highly- regarded. (Which he is) but if we could trade the #1 overall pick in Erik Johnson b/c we had another player we felt comfortable with (in this case AP) what's to say that it can't happen again? I have zero inside information about the Phoenix franchise. All I know is they have a -ton- of blue chip D prospects. But what's to say they don't look at Gormley and think that he can be OEL next year, and therefore would be willing to move OEL for the "right" price? I mean they already have Yandle.

You seemed to be interested in a D'ags for Backlund type package. So how about we change up the proposals a little bit.

D'ags and a 4th (Stl) for Backlund and a 3rd (Cgy)

Cole, Rattie, Stewart, 1st (Stl), 2nd (Stl) for OEL and a 3rd (Pho)

Sign Shane Doan to a 4 year contract. (Extra year to help with development of a prospect in the pipeline)

That leaves us with the same line combos as before, and our draft picks would look like:

2nd (Ott)
3rd (Cgy)
3rd (Pho)
3rd (Stl)
4th (Tampa)
6th (Stl)
7th (Stl)

That still leaves us a lot of flexibility for the trade deadline/draft day.

Now Phoenix has multiple prospects/picks, and a guy who has the potential to hit 30 goals. It might not be flashy at the time, but it's actually a lot more cost controlled then the previous proposal, and it does help Phoenix by shifting some of their assets to offensive from defense.

I feel like that trade is slanted towards Phoenix, which isn't usual when the team getting the BPA is usually coming out the clear winner. (See Rick Nash trade [I actually think the trade was beneficial for CBJ too, but not having to give up Stepan/Krieder was a -huge- win for NY] )

Old
07-26-2012, 07:45 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Please don't go to the main boards with this.

Old
07-26-2012, 09:20 AM
Lifetimebluesfan

I think the only trade out of all of that would be dags for backlund.. And I am completely fine with cole starting out as our #6 dman then working his way up.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:36 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

I'd rather get a little more of an accomplished center than Backlund. As much as I loved him in the world juniors and know what he's capable of, he hasn't showed it in the NHL. D'agastini has atleast showed 25 goal potential. I'd rather trade d'ags with a draft pick for somebody more accomplished.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:42 AM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
Please don't go to the main boards with this.
Sorry Mr. Super Armchair GM man, as I said I was just having fun. You can check your condescending attitude at the door.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:10 AM
HANDZ 57
Trap = 4 letter word

vCash: 518
Besides the fact that Phoenix won't trade OEL, that's probably the last team I see taking on Bowmeester's 6.6 salary.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:21 AM
STLBLUES44
MILLER TIME

Quote:
Originally Posted by HANDZ 57 View Post
Besides the fact that Phoenix won't trade OEL, that's probably the last team I see taking on Bowmeester's 6.6 salary.
agreed. Nice avatar by the way

Old
07-26-2012, 11:24 AM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgersandBlues View Post
Sorry Mr. Super Armchair GM man, as I said I was just having fun. You can check your condescending attitude at the door.
I'm all for fun, but let's insert a bit of realism in our discussions. There's NO way that Phoenix trade happens.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:35 AM
stlweir

I don't see the Blues taking on Bow's salary and there has not been even a hint from Doan That he has any interest in signing with the Blues.

Old
07-26-2012, 11:41 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlweir View Post
I don't see the Blues taking on Bow's salary and there has not been even a hint from Doan That he has any interest in signing with the Blues.
There has been hints, but then again there has been hints for just about every team in the league.

Old
07-26-2012, 12:42 PM
BadgersandBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
I'm all for fun, but let's insert a bit of realism in our discussions. There's NO way that Phoenix trade happens.
Fair enough ^.^

Old
07-26-2012, 01:31 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
The main trade board has shown more than one team's fanbase to look ignorant and opened up to ridicule. The first step is posting ridiculous hypothetical trades that ignore the other team's needs, or undervalue their players. The Blues (so far) don't have a reputation for ridiculous trade proposals (in contrast with Calgary, Philadelphia, Montreal, Toronto, Edmonton, etc) just for recent examples.

I don't see any problem with wanting to keep the board's perception of Blues fans as knowledgeable and savvy. It only takes a couple bone-heads to spoil that.

Old
07-26-2012, 04:13 PM
BlueDream

Quote:
I dislike the term "untouchable." No one in this league is ever untouchable. If Gretzky could get traded twice anyone can.

I mean, I love AP. But if LA calls up and says hey, we want to trade you Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar, and Drew Doughty, do you really say, oh no sir, I'm sorry, AP is untouchable! I understand that this will never happen, but you get the point.
I don't get these posts. If you know that will never happen then why say it? Alex Pietrangelo will not be traded in any realistic deal. I don't think you can come up with a swap that the other team would for sure do that the Blues would also do. I just don't see Petro getting traded for anyone in the league, so yes he is pretty much untouchable.

Old
07-28-2012, 02:13 PM
Lifetimebluesfan

I saw over on the Free agent and trade talk that pit and San Jose would be ok with a Tyler Kennedy for Doug Murray trade. How about dags and a second or prospect for Doug Murray?

Old
07-28-2012, 03:28 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

I'm just not sold that Murray is the type of defenseman that we are interested in acquiring.

We know of 3 defenseman that we have been interested in, and they were Garrison, Carle, and Bouwmeester. We might have shown interest in Martin, but that was never confirmed or denied.

Old
07-28-2012, 03:57 PM
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window

Murray is a much slower Polak whose lack of speed was badly exposed by the Blues in the first round. He's not what we want.

Old
08-06-2012, 11:20 AM
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment

Marc Staal would look good as a top four shutdown defender for the Blues, IMO. Salary is $3,675,000, Severe Concussion History from a hit from Brother Eric in Feburary 2011. Now what would the Rangers want in return?

Old
08-06-2012, 08:34 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedBlue1967 View Post
Marc Staal would look good as a top four shutdown defender for the Blues, IMO. Salary is $3,675,000, Severe Concussion History from a hit from Brother Eric in Feburary 2011. Now what would the Rangers want in return?
More than the Blues would be willing to give up, I'll wager...

Closed Thread