HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Stu replace Sauer?

Old
07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
If Stu Bickel becomes a reliable #5 defenseman in the NHL I will eat a whole sofa.
lol yea I agree. I will also destroy a sofa. Stu is a good 7th Dman who can come in and fight. He's done well to get an NHL contract but he was in the ECHL a few yrs ago.

We need Sauer back and I think he will be.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:45 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why are so many people clinging to what happened last year?

They finished first in a division that was absent of Crosby for the majority of the year and because they swept the Flyers. Are you really confident that both of those things are going to happen again?

Last year was last year. It means nothing to the upcoming season.

Right now, both of those players are marginal NHLers.
Not confident we're going to be first in the East at all but I do think the team is moving into contender status--and it revolves around Lundqvist and three excellent d-men that can eat huge minutes. Staal being healthy next year should be a huge plus. Rangers do not have tons of scoring but we are far from awful.

As far as I see it--even last year the Pens are the most talented team in hockey and I expect that's not going to change. Even with Weber though Philly still has not solved their goalie problem and until they do I don't see them capable of going all the way. The Rangers had a big run--for a lot of them this was the first real taste of what it takes.

Next year is not so much about the regular season IMO--more about getting in the top 4 in the conference and then the playoffs. Try not to wear down some guys so much--primarily the D.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:48 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Stralman is a marginal NHL player? Wrong.

When he's had the opportunity he's been a very effective NHL player.

In 60+ games he scored 30+ points. 40th among defensemen in 2009-2010.

The last two seasons, in 50 games he scored 18 points. Which is on par with the production from the 60 game 30 point season.

How many defensemen scored 30+ points last year? 43 defensemen. There are 30 teams in the league that need to fill 6 starting defense positions.

Stralman is not a marginal NHL player. He's capable of and does produce like a top four defenseman. Works hard. And is competent in his own end.
I was impressed by Stralman actually because I know Torts didn't want him and challenged him hard and Stralman responded pretty damn well.

Which is not to say I want to go overboard on his contract just that I would welcome him back.

Old
07-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Bickel was our worst d-man last year.

Just brutal.
Worst maybe but the top four in front of him was pretty darn good and number 5 was a solid NHL guy.. Bickel was outstanding at being a policemen solid as a defensemen and great as a team mate.. So maybe u just need to back off and stop hating the kid.

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:30 PM
Uncle Sam

Stu Bickel=Jason Strudwick

Uncle Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post
It may be he won't amount to much more than Strudwick but this is not a fair comparison at the moment. Bickel has been a pro for about 3 years and last year was his first shot in the NHL--at this point in time I don't think anyone should say that he can't get better. The Rangers are obviously still interested in him or they wouldn't have re-signed him.

Old
07-21-2012, 08:01 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

All due respect to Bick, but he's nowhere close to the level Sauer was at his rookie season. 6th/7th D but nothing more at this point.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I miss Sauer... anyway to get an update on how he's doing?

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
M Gaz
Drink to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I miss Sauer... anyway to get an update on how he's doing?
I hear he's doing better, but still a long ways away. Unless his recovery picks up I wouldn't expect him back until the playoffs at the very earliest.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
McMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Colton Orr? Dale Purinton? Rich Pilon? Derek Boogaard? I could name a number of others.
Let me rephrase it then. Worst skating defenseman I've ever seen.

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Cruxial

It's naive to assume that a handworker, such as Stu, in a stable organization such as the Rangers, with a dedicated and deep coaching staff such as we have, and with an organizationwide system such as that which we enjoy, cannot improve. The history of the NHL is filled with guys who came up as "no talent goons" only to eventually carve out niches for themselves and enjoy respectable careers.

Cruxial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:05 PM
RangerBlues

I'm rooting for him bigtime!

RangerBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
Worst maybe but the top four in front of him was pretty darn good and number 5 was a solid NHL guy.. Bickel was outstanding at being a policemen solid as a defensemen and great as a team mate.. So maybe u just need to back off and stop hating the kid.
I'm not hating on the kid, I'm sure he's a nice guy, but he is brutal hockey player. No skill whatsoever. A complete liability that cost us some key goals against in the playoffs. It would be a travesty if he plays playoff games again.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:20 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

If we could morph them into one..Stu's toughness and Sauers cool under pressure smarts...We would really have something...Stu Sauer.

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:23 PM
surf
Wheres the Reggae?

meh...I dont see it..Struds threw pillows,Bicks throws bombs..Struds was actually defensively sound and scored some big goals...both great team mates tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sam View Post

surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:07 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I like Bickel as a spare defenseman/forward. He's no NHL regular though. Not on a team that wants to contend anyway.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
OverTheCap

Sauer was a top 4 defenseman in 2010-11 and I can't see Bickel reaching that level. He is a bottom pairing defenseman at best. Sauer is better positionally and more intelligent when it comes to anticipating the play.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:20 AM
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf View Post
If we could morph them into one..Stu's toughness and Sauers cool under pressure smarts...We would really have something...Stu Sauer.
Sauer Bickel

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:32 AM
ShootThePuckBarry

Stu's got my respect, against the Debs wiping the ice with Carters ugly mug.

ShootThePuckBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 07:28 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMonster View Post
Let me rephrase it then. Worst skating defenseman I've ever seen.
In his last season with us Wade Redden spent about 95% of his ice time in his own half of the ice--afraid to venture much further for fear of having someone blow by him. Andy Sutton is another crappy skater--though he's sneaky enough to get in the odd dirt ball headshot. John Scott? Sheldon Souray? Bryan McCabe's skating really deteriorated towards the end of his career but wasn't super either. For laughs when Kjell Samuelsson first came to the Rangers he got the nickname 'the human pylon' in his first training camp. Apparently he had real balance problems whenever his stick wasn't anchoring him on the ice. He went on to play many years--particularly with the Flyers and was an effective defensive d-man--and almost impossible to get around because of his huge wingspan. Eric Cairns? Matt Carkner?

Old
07-22-2012, 08:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I don't see Stu as *******. But I don't think he'll ever be as good as Sauer. Stu fits the profile of a 6-7 guy. He's going to have to fight hard for whatever ice time he gets all the time. He gives our defense some edge and I like that. He plays best when he keeps everything simple but also mean and also disciplined. Keeping all that together all the time--consistently. He's going to have to work on his skating a bit more.
Agreed, Eco. I would take it a step further and say that I think that there is enough there for him to become a #6 defenseman in the league. I have made the comparison before, but I see some Jay Wells in him. If Bickel is taken for exactly what he is, then he profiles like more than enough #6 defensemen in the league.

But close to Sauer? Not in any reality.

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 08:57 AM
blueshirtbolt

keeping the blue line warm for mcilrath

blueshirtbolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 10:34 AM
blue425

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSchrute217 View Post
Sauer was our #3 his rookie year and a very good one at that. So no, Bickel can't replace him and I think it's more likely we see Erixon as our 6th defensemen with Bickel as the 7.
Pretty much this.

Sauer was a solid #3.

Bickel, up to this point, has not shown the ability to do the same. Could this change, and he turn into a reliable 2nd pairing guy? Yes.

Would I bet money on it? No.

blue425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:01 AM
NYR Viper

I don't think people realize what most teams have as a #6 d-man. I think he is fine playing 12 minutes a night while adding grit and an edge tithe defense. I would say that at this point of his career I would rather him be the Rangers #7 for the simple fact of it meaning they will have better depth than last year.

He is the new Jason Strudwick.

NYR Viper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 11:12 AM
district9

i like keeping him around on the team since he can jump in as a forward or defenseman with no serious issues. yeah, he's not a very good player, but he brings some much needed toughness to the team and playing 8-10 minutes a night in the regular season is not bad. stu's biggest problem is his skating, which is something the rangers organization has historically been pretty damn good at working with. he's got potential to be an every day #6, but not in the next year or two.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote