HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Anaheim Ducks
Notices

Ducks sign Winnik to 2 year contract (1.8m per year)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2012, 07:53 PM
  #101
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,294
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I think he means right now.
Right now I'd say he's more than a little less skilled. With all due respect to DSP, he's got a ways to go before he's up to Kunitz's level. Kunitz was a pretty consistent 50-60 guy for us, putting up 20-25ish goals. Offensively, Kunitz definitely has the edge, and likely always will.

I also don't consider DSP to be meaner than him. Kunitz was a good agitator, and he went looking for trouble. DSP hasn't shown all that much in those regards.

Edit: I actually think Palmieri is closer to Kunitz than DSP is, and right now Palmieri looks like he's easily the better offensive talent vs. DSP.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:03 PM
  #102
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Right now I'd say he's more than a little less skilled. With all due respect to DSP, he's got a ways to go before he's up to Kunitz's level. Kunitz was a pretty consistent 50-60 guy for us, putting up 20-25ish goals. Offensively, Kunitz definitely has the edge, and likely always will.

I also don't consider DSP to be meaner than him. Kunitz was a good agitator, and he went looking for trouble. DSP hasn't shown all that much in those regards.

Edit: I actually think Palmieri is closer to Kunitz than DSP is, and right now Palmieri looks like he's easily the better offensive talent vs. DSP.
No disagreement here. I think people that expect him to be a top six guy any time soon are getting ahead of themselves.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
  #103
jax00
DangleSnipe&Celly
 
jax00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anaslime
Country: United States
Posts: 8,559
vCash: 500
I was no way saying DSP is as good as Kunitz. I just think they're similar players, looks like no one really agrees which is fine.

The kids is a tenacious forechecker who can hit and put the puck in the net every now and then. I could see him putting up 10-15 goals and 30-40 pts this season playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Not Kunitz numbers, but like I said, obviously he's not as skilled. They are both high energy guys though.

He's still got plenty of developing to do (hopefully), so we'll see.

jax00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:07 PM
  #104
Selanne138
Registered User
 
Selanne138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Right now I'd say he's more than a little less skilled. With all due respect to DSP, he's got a ways to go before he's up to Kunitz's level. Kunitz was a pretty consistent 50-60 guy for us, putting up 20-25ish goals. Offensively, Kunitz definitely has the edge, and likely always will.

I also don't consider DSP to be meaner than him. Kunitz was a good agitator, and he went looking for trouble. DSP hasn't shown all that much in those regards.

Edit: I actually think Palmieri is closer to Kunitz than DSP is, and right now Palmieri looks like he's easily the better offensive talent vs. DSP.
I remember people comparing Palmieri and Kunitz. Havent seen the agitator end of KP's game yet, but I think that will come out once he gets an extended look, he was in more of a scorers role in Syracuse.

Selanne138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:10 PM
  #105
DuckJet
#KESBAE
 
DuckJet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Funkytown
Country: Kazakhstan
Posts: 36,239
vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne138 View Post
I remember people comparing Palmieri and Kunitz. Havent seen the agitator end of KP's game yet, but I think that will come out once he gets an extended look, he was in more of a scorers role in Syracuse.
I did. Like really I did, he was playing a grinding game, shoving guys behind the play. I'd compare him more to Perry though.

DuckJet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:39 PM
  #106
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I did. Like really I did, he was playing a grinding game, shoving guys behind the play. I'd compare him more to Perry though.
I haven't seen that. Was he doing that in Syracuse?

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:55 PM
  #107
Exit Dose
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Cerritos, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 17,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Cat View Post
I haven't seen that. Was he doing that in Syracuse?
In Syracuse and at the WJCs.

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:51 PM
  #108
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist
 
Eddie Shack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Anaheim, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,914
vCash: 500
After reading all the combinations and permutations of lines I have to say that Peter Holland will probably never have a better chance to earn an NHL job than with this Ducks team next year. The opportunity for guys to earn jobs will be there like never before.

I think the success of the team next year is going to be based on some young guys stepping up (besides the expected improvement from Fowler and Sbisa) and some new found chemistry somewhere.

I am a big fan of DSP and am one of those guilty of suggesting he get a longer look on the top line. I would also be fine with giving Palmieri a good look on the top line. The third player on that line doesn't have to be a scoring machine as much as a tough guy who is not afraid to get dirty (not illegal dirty). I oculd see either of those guys possibly doing that but yes, Palmieri likely being the better scorer of the two.

Ryan needs to be off the top line to spread the scoring. I'm not keen on putting him with Selanne and Koivu. He looked quite good with Bonino and Palmieri last year. Somebody (Holland or Bonino) really needs to step up and take that #2C job away from Saku.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:39 AM
  #109
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
If DSP became nasty that would be great, he's more of a gentle giant right now

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:21 AM
  #110
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,294
vCash: 50
I don't have an issue with DSP getting a look on the 1st line. What my issue would be is if he gets that look at the expense of another player who looks like a better option. I don't want to see that second player put into a role where they can't be as effective just so DSP can get that look.

Frankly, I kind of felt like DSP was given a spot last season before he really paid his dues and earned it. My impression was that Murray wanted to take advantage of DSP being on an ELC, so he could spend less on a grinder/energy guy, with the expectation that, at worst, DSP could grow into the role over the season. For whatever reason, they seemed in a real hurry to get him onto the roster, and it irked me a bit. That's just how I felt, mind you, but DSP just didn't blow me away to the degree(or at all, to be perfectly honest) I would expect in the past to see a prospect jump up the depth chart like that. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wary that Anaheim might gift him a top six spot instead of someone better.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 06:31 AM
  #111
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?
 
Sojourn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 24,294
vCash: 50
And just to make it clear, I dig DSP a lot. I think he could be a real beast out there, when it all comes together. Let's face it though... last season he was very raw.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:41 PM
  #112
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White
 
Spicy Porkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: He is risen!
Posts: 8,229
vCash: 50
DSP has a ways to go before he lives up to his power forward billing. He's not that much stronger than his competition at this level. I'd also like him to show a LOT more spark at the net after the whistle.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:08 PM
  #113
Professor John Frink
Registered User
 
Professor John Frink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 2,677
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't have an issue with DSP getting a look on the 1st line. What my issue would be is if he gets that look at the expense of another player who looks like a better option. I don't want to see that second player put into a role where they can't be as effective just so DSP can get that look.

Frankly, I kind of felt like DSP was given a spot last season before he really paid his dues and earned it. My impression was that Murray wanted to take advantage of DSP being on an ELC, so he could spend less on a grinder/energy guy, with the expectation that, at worst, DSP could grow into the role over the season. For whatever reason, they seemed in a real hurry to get him onto the roster, and it irked me a bit. That's just how I felt, mind you, but DSP just didn't blow me away to the degree(or at all, to be perfectly honest) I would expect in the past to see a prospect jump up the depth chart like that. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wary that Anaheim might gift him a top six spot instead of someone better.
Couldn't have expressed the way I feel any better about DSP and how he was handled. Totally agree with you.

Professor John Frink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:30 PM
  #114
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin
 
Vinegar Strokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Collins
Country: United States
Posts: 5,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
I don't have an issue with DSP getting a look on the 1st line. What my issue would be is if he gets that look at the expense of another player who looks like a better option. I don't want to see that second player put into a role where they can't be as effective just so DSP can get that look.

Frankly, I kind of felt like DSP was given a spot last season before he really paid his dues and earned it. My impression was that Murray wanted to take advantage of DSP being on an ELC, so he could spend less on a grinder/energy guy, with the expectation that, at worst, DSP could grow into the role over the season. For whatever reason, they seemed in a real hurry to get him onto the roster, and it irked me a bit. That's just how I felt, mind you, but DSP just didn't blow me away to the degree(or at all, to be perfectly honest) I would expect in the past to see a prospect jump up the depth chart like that. It's not a big deal, but it makes me wary that Anaheim might gift him a top six spot instead of someone better.
This. If DSP earns the 1st line LW position, wonderful, but if he's just put there because his potential to one day fill that type of role, then he's being misused. Either put him in a role where he can excel in the NHL, or let him develop in the AHL.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:55 PM
  #115
Hockey Duckie
Registered User
 
Hockey Duckie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: southern cal
Posts: 2,710
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax00 View Post
I was no way saying DSP is as good as Kunitz. I just think they're similar players, looks like no one really agrees which is fine.

The kids is a tenacious forechecker who can hit and put the puck in the net every now and then. I could see him putting up 10-15 goals and 30-40 pts this season playing with Getzlaf and Perry. Not Kunitz numbers, but like I said, obviously he's not as skilled. They are both high energy guys though.

He's still got plenty of developing to do (hopefully), so we'll see.
KP is similar to Kunitz style of play, but not as aggressive.

DSP reminds me of a smaller Penner, but more aggressive. And Penner fit the Getz-Pears line better than when Kunie was because of the chemistry.

Hockey Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:20 PM
  #116
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 50
ohhh talks of DSP to the AHL LOL!!!!

time to write some names down....

this guys gives a 100% every shift and engages our entire team and our top line especially... next year is going to be his coming out party to the world as an established nhl forward force

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:40 PM
  #117
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,856
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
ohhh talks of DSP to the AHL LOL!!!!

time to write some names down....

this guys gives a 100% every shift and engages our entire team and our top line especially... next year is going to be his coming out party to the world as an established nhl forward force
Sounds similar to McMillan.

Most people here love DSP, we just don't want to set the expectation bar to high.

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:47 PM
  #118
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Sounds similar to McMillan.

Most people here love DSP, we just don't want to set the expectation bar to high.
why? what happens if we do?

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:50 PM
  #119
Duck Off
HF needs an App
 
Duck Off's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Oklahoma
Country: United States
Posts: 10,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
ohhh talks of DSP to the AHL LOL!!!!

time to write some names down....

this guys gives a 100% every shift and engages our entire team and our top line especially... next year is going to be his coming out party to the world as an established nhl forward force
Don't get me wrong, I love DSP, but I disagree about him giving it his all every shift. Although often times it looked like a conditioning problem more then a effort problem. I don't think he should he sent to the AHL necessarily but I don't think he should just be given a spot.

As for bringing in another winger to play with Getz and Perry. Only way that happens is if Cogs is moved and I don't see that happening, although I hope it does. We still need another top six winger and 2nd line center IMO. I honestly think Lydman might be moved as part of a package for one of them though. Unless Ryan is moved.

Duck Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:54 PM
  #120
Theridion
Registered User
 
Theridion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Orange, CA
Posts: 1,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckstudd269 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love DSP, but I disagree about him giving it his all every shift. Although often times it looked like a conditioning problem more then a effort problem. I don't think he should he sent to the AHL necessarily but I don't think he should just be given a spot.

As for bringing in another winger to play with Getz and Perry. Only way that happens is if Cogs is moved and I don't see that happening, although I hope it does. We still need another top six winger and 2nd line center IMO. I honestly think Lydman might be moved as part of a package for one of them though. Unless Ryan is moved.
I am ok with letting our defense form up, and early next season, move lydman for a winger or in a bigger deal for a center. It seems I want a young, core center to step in, but is be happy pulling in a veteran winger on the cheap... That's odd.

Theridion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:02 PM
  #121
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!
 
mightyquack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Perth, WA
Country: Germany
Posts: 17,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
ohhh talks of DSP to the AHL LOL!!!!

time to write some names down....

this guys gives a 100% every shift and engages our entire team and our top line especially... next year is going to be his coming out party to the world as an established nhl forward force
Lower those expectations, otherwise I have a feeling you're going to be very disappointed

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:18 PM
  #122
Paul4587
Registered User
 
Paul4587's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 13,879
vCash: 500
Right now, DSP does not have good enough puck skills to play the cycling game that Getzlaf and Perry thrive on. The guys that have worked with Getzlaf and Perry have all had much better hands than DSP has shown so far. Penner, Ryan, Kunitz & Bertuzzi are about the only guys who haven't held Getzlaf and Perry back.

Paul4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 04:48 PM
  #123
ShadowDuck
Captain Anaheim
 
ShadowDuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,856
vCash: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDucks View Post
why? what happens if we do?
Because it's better to pass expectations than to fail expectations?

ShadowDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:11 PM
  #124
Elvs
Registered User
 
Elvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pitea
Country: Sweden
Posts: 6,650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
Right now, DSP does not have good enough puck skills to play the cycling game that Getzlaf and Perry thrive on. The guys that have worked with Getzlaf and Perry have all had much better hands than DSP has shown so far. Penner, Ryan, Kunitz & Bertuzzi are about the only guys who haven't held Getzlaf and Perry back.
Exactly. Kunitz is a much better puck possession player and passer than DSP currently is. DSP is more comparable to Beleskey than he is to Kunitz at this point. Strictly speaking about DSP of last year, next year he could be on a completely different level when it comes to setup skills and being able to hold onto the puck, if we're lucky.

Elvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:53 PM
  #125
DaDucks
Registered User
 
DaDucks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Costa Mesa
Country: United States
Posts: 4,271
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDuck View Post
Because it's better to pass expectations than to fail expectations?
I'll leave dsp's expectations to the GM and coaching staff. I am a super-fan, it is my luxury to make such predictions. I prefer to cut out the "grey" area why I am high on a player and not start a post by writing the words: "don't get me wrong, I love the guy, but..."

DaDucks is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.