HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How Much Will Kessel Make?

Old
07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
darrylsittler27

vCash: 500
The question is, if he hit the market.

He would land 6 years at $7 million per.Grabo set the bar and if he is worth $5.5,Kessel gets $7 million easy,why?Because the other team may have a star center boasting him to 40 goals and 90 pts.The only reason he won't get more?His defensive game.

$42 million over 6 years.Burke has his own hand in upping salaries.Grabo,Komi,Connolly and even Schenn we given too much,don't think Kessel hasn't noticed.

darrylsittler27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 06:38 PM
T M L
Make Belief Captain

It really depends on what Kessel does in the next 2 seasons. If he totally bottoms out like Kulemin did last season and only scores 7 goals there will be no talk of 7M/year.

I am not saying that he will do that, I sure hope not!

T M L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:09 PM
Confucius

At least 75 million. Maybe up to a 10 year deal.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Looking at the top 25 cap hits, I've reconsidered my notion that we get him for 7m x 5 or 6, I'm gonna up that to the 7.5-8 range. Much like Grabovski, even more so actually, Kessel will have Burke over a barrel. If Burke doesn't cave in to Kessel's demands, Kessel can hit the UFA market and there could be contenders willing to pay him simlilar loot, he's really been coming into his own, imagine him on the wing of a legit #1 center. In the right situation 50 goal seasons are within his grasp, there prolly better situations for him out there. Plus he's American I think they flee for home when they get the chance.

Top 25 cap hits as per capgeek: http://www.capgeek.com/leaders.php?t...on=-1&limit=25

Sundinisagod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Call me crazy but I expect that the comming CBA agreement may have an impact on how much Kessel winds up making...that and how well he produces over the next two seasons. Way to early to speculate.
I would replace that by "next season" as he has a NMC or NTC for the last season.

Would Burke risk a Sundin redo?

beauchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 08:50 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLKesselftw View Post
That's Sidney Crosby type money... 8.6 million a year. I love Kessel and think he's worth a lot, but I'm thinking closer to 7 million, maybe 7.5
Not really, as Crosby gets $96.3M over the next 9 seasons, an average of $10.7M/year.

It's the last 3 years at $3M/year which brings the average down to $8.7M and as Burke is against these types of contracts...

Old
07-21-2012, 08:54 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ampedx View Post
As of right now he's in the 7 mill range + signing and performance bonuses
Not allowed in the current CBA in his circumstances.

Old
07-21-2012, 09:05 PM
LeafsAllDay

I would expect him to get 7-8mil a season. He is going to have a lot of leverage with Burke given what it cost us to acquire him. Hopefully by the time we get to contract negotiations we have improved enough that he wants to stay and doesn't take advantage of us financially.

LeafsAllDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 10:40 PM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauchamp View Post
I would replace that by "next season" as he has a NMC or NTC for the last season.

Would Burke risk a Sundin redo?
Wow I wasn't aware of this. This will definately put Burke in a difficult postition. With Kessel entering his prime he may wish to spend it with a better team...for some reason I can see him as a Penguin. After what Burke gave up for him he has to get some return back.

Will be some drama to come...thanks for pointing this out beauchamp

Old
07-21-2012, 10:57 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Here's a thought...... maybe he really likes Toronto.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2012, 11:55 PM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Here's a thought...... maybe he really likes Toronto.
No one said he didn't.. But if you're name is Phil Kessel and you like Toronto, how much money will it take to get your name on the dotted line?

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:05 AM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDion03 View Post
No one said he didn't.. But if you're name is Phil Kessel and you like Toronto, how much money will it take to get your name on the dotted line?
Only one person can answer that, and he isn't here.

To your other point, there are quite a few posters that have expressed the notion that Phil will bolt at the first opportunity. I am offering an alternate possibility which is, he may want to stay.

Generally if the player is happy with the team, and the team has the means to compensate them, they stay put.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 12:14 AM
Sundinisagod
just give'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
Only one person can answer that, and he isn't here.

To your other point, there are quite a few posters that have expressed the notion that Phil will bolt at the first opportunity. I am offering an alternate possibility which is, he may want to stay.

Generally if the player is happy with the team, and the team has the means to compensate them, they stay put.
If the team isn't playoff bound next season, he may wanna bolt to a contender, or at least a playoff team. He'll get paid either way. Also never know how he gets along with the coach...

Old
07-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Leafs24Seven*

Philly will offer sheet him for 10 years $130 mil then trade him in 2-3 years because they dont like his shy and awkward interviews, "right" "ya, I mean, right"

Philly is becoming a joke as far as the way other players look at their loyalty.

Leafs24Seven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:06 AM
MorriPage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post
Philly will offer sheet him for 10 years $130 mil then trade him in 2-3 years because they dont like his shy and awkward interviews, "right" "ya, I mean, right"

Philly is becoming a joke as far as the way other players look at their loyalty.
Speaking of which, I was just surfing through the Nashville board for fun and it is an absolute war zone in there. A total mess. I've never seen so many capitalized letters.

MorriPage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:10 AM
4evaBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntouchable13 View Post
If this year will be another basement dwelling year, I don't see why he would even consider signing an extension. The Leafs have to show him that they can put a winning team on the ice, and he has to prove that he can be a prime time player on a playoff team. So far he has been a prime time player on a mediocre to bad team. Can he be a top dog on a team that has aspirations of not only making the playoffs but winning the cup as well?
That's actually somewhat challenging considering who he's been playing with in his 3 years here. It's a lot easier to be a good player on a good team, surrounded by good players (who opponents can't ignore), than it is on a crappy team with crappy linemates.

I think the Leafs have more to prove to Phil than Phil does to the Leafs. Definitely keeping my fingers crossed that he doesn't just walk on us for nothing, or we don't have to settle for rental price for him if contract talks don't go well in a year and a half.

4evaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:15 AM
tacoburrito

vCash: 50
thinking 5-6 years at 7.1-7.3

tacoburrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 01:32 AM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs24Seven View Post

yup there image is so bad they were just able to get the best dmen in the league to sign for them.

as for Kessel's we'll see what kessel plays like he is only one year removed from having a career high of 64 points if he goes back to that he wont get that big of a raise, if he continue's on like he did this past season he will get 7+ from someone.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:15 AM
DirtyDion03
**** Brooklyn

vCash: 166
Please don't turn this into a where Phil Kessel goes or Phil Kessel is going to leave. We are talking money here folks.

DirtyDion03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:33 AM
LeeIs
M a t s

There's a lot of money being thrown around here.

I hope burke convinces him to stay for about 6 mil over 6 years. or something like that.

I really like the kid, but I wouldn't give him the crazy 7.5 mil contracts over a decade. I don't think he's a corner stone type player, he's an excellent complimentary one though. He's dynamite.

Old
07-22-2012, 02:36 AM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Kessel has 2 years left on his contract. Carlyle will likely be our coach for the next 2 seasons. Considering that and the fact that aside from last season he's never broken 70 points from his 5 other seasons, there's a good chance that he doesn't keep his ppg up. Personally, I'm expecting production in the 70's in terms of points for the next 2 seasons (goals in the 30s but not breaking 40s). I have no idea what he'll get, but if it were me and I had to give out a 5 year contract, assuming what I said above is true, I'd give him an average of $7 mil at the absolute max and hoping for something in the 6mil range.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
HOCKEYGOON

A little more than Dion's current rate IMO would be perfect.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 03:40 AM
TheSilencer

6.0 to 6.25 million/year.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:26 AM
Faltorvo

IF the new CBA limits contracts to 5/7 years then the #s i have been reading here are way off base.

Take a look at these retirement contracts and the real $ paid out in the first 5/7 years of them and stop looking at the deflated cap hit, for crying out loud.

What do you think Kessel and his agent are going to shoot for? Matching the cap hits of the other elite players or matching the truth of the first 5/7 years of them?

Our only elite player gots to get paid and as we saw with Boston, he and his agent ain't shy.

If the CBA changes you all better start looking well north of 8.5m per.

Guys like Crosby/Weber/Suter/Parise are banking between 10m and 13.5m per in the first 5/7 years, add in 2 years of sal inflation and we think we can nail our elite player for 6/7.5m ? Me thinks some of us are in for a shocker.

Last edited by Faltorvo: 07-22-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Faltorvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2012, 05:30 AM
HOCKEYGOON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faltorvo View Post
IF the new CBA limits contracts to 5/7 years then the #s i have been reading here are way off base.

Take a look at these retirement contracts and the real $ paid out in the first 5/7 years of them and stop looking at the deflated cap hit, for crying out loud.

What do you think Kessel and his agent are going to shoot for? Matching the cap hits of the other elite players or matching the truth of the first 5/7 years of them?

Our only elite player gots to get paid and as we saw with Boston, he and his agent ain't shy.

If the CBA changes you all better start looking well north of 8.5m per.

The inflated retirement contracts are only paying out as well as they are because teams can circumvent the cap.

Once the ability to circumvent disappears so do the "real" numbers as well.

HOCKEYGOON is offline   Reply With Quote