HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Offer Sheet Matched. Weber signed to Nashville for 14 years

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-21-2012, 08:22 PM
  #126
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I did not deflect anything i clearly answered your question. Like i said before it has nothing to do with the offer sheet on the table. Fact is Poile screwed up with both Suter and Weber before this summer started and now we are sitting here where we are today.
If Poile knew he was given a riding mower to run in the Indy 500 he should have got something more for Weber and Suter than 4 late 1st round draft picks. He is the one that runs the team and if he does not then he needs to resign and let the ownership run the team.
I asked a question directly linked to the offer sheet situation. It remains unanswered. Your answer contained as much linkage to the question I asked as "pizza" does to "what is your favorite sport?" The unanswered question REMAINS if Poile was authorized to make a deal with a similar structure to what Philly put in the offer sheet, why wasn't the offer matched almost immediately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Suter is a tough decision because the Preds were Cup contenders. I don't think you can trade him mid-season. But, you make Suter the best offer that management allows you. If he declines, then you trade his rights for something in June.

Weber you do the same thing, you offer him the best deal during the season. If he declines, you trade him in June before he gets to offersheet territory unless you have managements blessing to match ANY offer.
If the owners and Poile thought they could work a deal with a different structure but similar total pay, they gambled with that tact and lost. Without the benefit of knowing what happened in the discussions within the team and between the team and player we're left with only supposition and jumps to conclusion. Unfortunately, my jump to conclusions mat didn't survive the move from Talil to Killeen ... not that it included any Poile related spots to jump onto. Maybe that approach was a mistake from the beginning, maybe we truly were in contention for Suter until the Wild upped their offer on the night of the 3rd. We don't know the structure of the offer made by the team to Suter to honestly assess that situation. IF the approach taken by the team was a reasonable tactic that didn't work out or a huge mistake from the beginning is impossible to know without a lot of facts that aren't in the public domain.


Quote:
Originally Posted by gopreds19 View Post
Firing decisions should be based on results. You can be a nice guy, a class act, but in the end you can't have this much miss management of assets. Not being able to close and not being able to see the writing on the wall to get what you can are Poile's tragic flaws.
13 years is a lifetime with one team. Even with Weber back were not at a point to contend.

We're in a rebuild, time to turn the keys over to someone else. Poile gave it a good try, but in the GM game has passed him by. He made us a competitor, but we're not a competitor right now, we need to build another team around new core.
If Poile is operating within the guidance and constraints of his boss, he won't be fired. Poile works for the owners ... Bettman works for the owners across the leauge ... no amount of internet ranting is going to cost them their jobs as long as they are doing what their bosses want of them. It's arguable that the GM game has passed Poile by. What has passed him by is the ability to throw huge front loaded contracts at players. Then again, that possibility has passed probably half of the league by based on press releases concerning profitability. Supposition about what happens within the front office or in negotiations is not fact.

Mod edit

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:24 PM
  #127
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If they were gonna do that, they the probably would have done it for Parise and Suter's contract. The NHL making this contract void is a pipedream.
Look at the Brad Richards deal last year for the precedent showing this offer won't be voided.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:30 PM
  #128
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD
 
Paranoid Android's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: CO
Posts: 11,271
vCash: 500
Why do they call them signing bonuses when most of the money comes in well after the signing? They should be limited to the 1st year only

Paranoid Android is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:39 PM
  #129
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Why do they call them signing bonuses when most of the money comes in well after the signing? They should be limited to the 1st year only
There are many "should" situations that simply aren't. The current CBA allows this structure for bonuses ... and has since 2005. It's just in the past couple of summers that we've seen the 20mil plus bonus spread over up to six years.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:40 PM
  #130
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I asked a question directly linked to the offer sheet situation. It remains unanswered. Your answer contained as much linkage to the question I asked as "pizza" does to "what is your favorite sport?" The unanswered question REMAINS if Poile was authorized to make a deal with a similar structure to what Philly put in the offer sheet, why wasn't the offer matched almost immediately?



If the owners and Poile thought they could work a deal with a different structure but similar total pay, they gambled with that tact and lost. Without the benefit of knowing what happened in the discussions within the team and between the team and player we're left with only supposition and jumps to conclusion. Unfortunately, my jump to conclusions mat didn't survive the move from Talil to Killeen ... not that it included any Poile related spots to jump onto. Maybe that approach was a mistake from the beginning, maybe we truly were in contention for Suter until the Wild upped their offer on the night of the 3rd. We don't know the structure of the offer made by the team to Suter to honestly assess that situation. IF the approach taken by the team was a reasonable tactic that didn't work out or a huge mistake from the beginning is impossible to know without a lot of facts that aren't in the public domain.




If Poile is operating within the guidance and constraints of his boss, he won't be fired. Poile works for the owners ... Bettman works for the owners across the leauge ... no amount of internet ranting is going to cost them their jobs as long as they are doing what their bosses want of them. It's arguable that the GM game has passed Poile by. What has passed him by is the ability to throw huge front loaded contracts at players. Then again, that possibility has passed probably half of the league by based on press releases concerning profitability. Supposition about what happens within the front office or in negotiations is not fact. I have many suppositions about you ... most are probably incorrect. I actually hope my suppositions are wrong because if my impression of you from your posts here is the real you ..... whoa!
And i gave you the answer on the real problem. You resonded to my post about Poile and wanted to say something about an offer sheet that frankly has nothing to do with Poile other than the fact that he is the one that got the offer sheet slapped in are face from philly in the first place.
It was not signed immediatly because smart people read a contract that is coming from another party. Will they match? Who knows but facts are facts. We would not be in this position if not for the mistakes of David Poile.

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:44 PM
  #131
vandyfan84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSLYNX View Post
I cant see how Shea's value will improve?
He's already a first team all-star. On a low budget team.
IF, and that's a big IF, Nashville can afford the first year of bonus money, it will be a very favorable contract throughout the remaining 13 years.

You get the worlds best defenseman, locked down for 13 years, a very favorable contract to the other 29 teams, and with no NTC, Nashville can name the price to other teams. They can then tell Philly to go F themselves and trade to the highest bidder.

Still not sure we have the capital to make the initial investment.

vandyfan84 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:47 PM
  #132
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
And i gave you the answer on the real problem. You resonded to my post about Poile and wanted to say something about an offer sheet that frankly has nothing to do with Poile other than the fact that he is the one that got the offer sheet slapped in are face from philly in the first place.
It was not signed immediatly because smart people read a contract that is coming from another party. Will they match? Who knows but facts are facts. We would not be in this position if not for the mistakes of David Poile.
And the question still is unanswered.

Every "mistake of David Poile" is an assumption from the message board universe. None of us know what guidance he received from the owners ... what permissions to spend or restrictions he's operating under ... what truly is happening in negotiations ... if the offer sheet or Suter's departure are the result of "mistakes" or the team's offer structure simply not meeting what the player eventually signed due to financial constraints on short term cash expenditures ... what we have are plenty of assumptions and zero fact.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:49 PM
  #133
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
IF, and that's a big IF, Nashville can afford the first year of bonus money, it will be a very favorable contract throughout the remaining 13 years.

You get the worlds best defenseman, locked down for 13 years, a very favorable contract to the other 29 teams, and with no NTC, Nashville can name the price to other teams. They can then tell Philly to go F themselves and trade to the highest bidder.

Still not sure we have the capital to make the initial investment.
It's more than just coming up with the first two bonus payments, it's what does giving all that money to one player do to the teams overall budget and for how long.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
  #134
vandyfan84
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
It's more than just coming up with the first two bonus payments, it's what does giving all that money to one player do to the teams overall budget and for how long.
I was just answering the posters question. I don't think it makes sense to pay Weber 26 million for one season and then trade him. If we can match, I say match and keep him. Though we really could go to any team and name our price.

I just don't think ownership has this type of liquid capital and I think the contract is BS. Only a handful of teams have that type of liquid capital, on hand, right this second.

I also agree with an earlier poster, a "signing bonus" by definition is a bonus when you actually sign the deal. How the hell is a signing bonus allowed to be carried out for 4 years is beyond me. A signing bonus should be a 1 time payment when the player signs.

vandyfan84 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 08:57 PM
  #135
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
And the question still is unanswered.

Every "mistake of David Poile" is an assumption from the message board universe. None of us know what guidance he received from the owners ... what permissions to spend or restrictions he's operating under ... what truly is happening in negotiations ... if the offer sheet or Suter's departure are the result of "mistakes" or the team's offer structure simply not meeting what the player eventually signed due to financial constraints on short term cash expenditures ... what we have are plenty of assumptions and zero fact.
Last time i checked going to arbitration and insulting Weber with an offer and who he was compared to is not an assumption but a fact.

Sitting back and thinking Suter was going to sign in Nashville and "going to give
Nashville the last chance" is not an assumption but fact.

Not offering both guys a contract and if they refused not putting them on the trading block is not an assumption but fact.

All mistakes by David Poile which led us to this summer episode of laughing stock of hockey.

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 09:08 PM
  #136
randymc2641
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 200
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Time View Post
If the League was going to void the contract, they would of done so by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Last time i checked going to arbitration and insulting Weber with an offer and who he was compared to is not an assumption but a fact.

Sitting back and thinking Suter was going to sign in Nashville and "going to give
Nashville the last chance" is not an assumption but fact.

Not offering both guys a contract and if they refused not putting them on the trading block is not an assumption but fact.

All mistakes by David Poile which led us to this summer episode of laughing stock of hockey.
Didn't Poile go into arbitration with the QO, which is technically what the league says he should be offered from their formula? He could have offered more to open arbitration, but why would he?m it's been said several times that we wanted 5 plus years last summer and weber wanted three max. I would almost guarantee thosen5 years were at 7+.

You really don't know how much sitting back David Poile did on Suter. I have to think all three guys got contracts at the same time, Pekka was the only one that had the character to sign his, the others were greedier.

Read above on notnoffering both guys a contract. It was even said when asked what's left to be done on thenRyan Suter deal, he would say for Ryan to sign on the line.

Was DP not suppose to believe the guy he wanted to be a cornerstone of his club when he told him he would be signing in Nashville? If the answer was no, then he would have ripped the contract up and traded him, because why would a GM want to build around someone of that character?

Do you really think he said to himself, you know I have to get Pekka locked up before these other two? Of course not, I think they were all offered the exact same contract (within a mil) the same day.

randymc2641 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 09:10 PM
  #137
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Last time i checked going to arbitration and insulting Weber with an offer and who he was compared to is not an assumption but a fact.

Sitting back and thinking Suter was going to sign in Nashville and "going to give
Nashville the last chance" is not an assumption but fact.

Not offering both guys a contract and if they refused not putting them on the trading block is not an assumption but fact.

All mistakes by David Poile which led us to this summer episode of laughing stock of hockey.
Those are only mistakes if they were outside of the guidance of the owners. If the guidance was to keep negotiating with the players and not trade ... not a mistake to do what your bosses say. If the guidance was to block potential offer sheets last summer and then continue to negotiate before the hearing, then arbitration was a prudent route and not a mistake. It's funny how Poile gets blamed for using a business tactic, but Weber gets none for doing the same thing this summer. The arbitration positions from both sides were absurd .. that's how the arbitration system works. The rumored offers from the team outside of arbitration at the time were long term, $7+million per ... not just the oft reported arbitration numbers.

Thinking Suter would give the Preds a last chance proved to be a mistake, but, it's debatable if the negotiations up to that point were a "mistake" without knowing what was offered and what actually transpired. The claim Poile "sat back" makes your observable an assumption, not fact. All reports from the days leading up to Suter's decision had the Preds making a "substantial" offer which counters the "sat back" claim.

Observables don't always reveal the facts that lead to them.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 09:22 PM
  #138
brah
Registered User
 
brah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: On Lot
Country: United States
Posts: 2,505
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Those are only mistakes if they were outside of the guidance of the owners. If the guidance was to keep negotiating with the players and not trade ... not a mistake to do what your bosses say. If the guidance was to block potential offer sheets last summer and then continue to negotiate before the hearing, then arbitration was a prudent route and not a mistake. It's funny how Poile gets blamed for using a business tactic, but Weber gets none for doing the same thing this summer. The arbitration positions from both sides were absurd .. that's how the arbitration system works. The rumored offers from the team outside of arbitration at the time were long term, $7+million per ... not just the oft reported arbitration numbers.

Thinking Suter would give the Preds a last chance proved to be a mistake, but, it's debatable if the negotiations up to that point were a "mistake" without knowing what was offered and what actually transpired. The claim Poile "sat back" makes your observable an assumption, not fact. All reports from the days leading up to Suter's decision had the Preds making a "substantial" offer which counters the "sat back" claim.

Observables don't always reveal the facts that lead to them.
I think we've pretty well covered that the owners have said they don't know squat about hockey so I doubt they forced Poile to keep negotiating even after he said it was useless.

Fact remains that we lost Suter for nothing and are in almost the worst situation possible with Weber. If the owners truly did force Polie to that then we have a totally difference set of problems that we'll never be able to know about or do anything about.


Last edited by Traded Legwand: 07-21-2012 at 09:36 PM. Reason: No need for pot shots at other fans.
brah is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 09:37 PM
  #139
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Those are only mistakes if they were outside of the guidance of the owners. If the guidance was to keep negotiating with the players and not trade ... not a mistake to do what your bosses say. If the guidance was to block potential offer sheets last summer and then continue to negotiate before the hearing, then arbitration was a prudent route and not a mistake. It's funny how Poile gets blamed for using a business tactic, but Weber gets none for doing the same thing this summer. The arbitration positions from both sides were absurd .. that's how the arbitration system works. The rumored offers from the team outside of arbitration at the time were long term, $7+million per ... not just the oft reported arbitration numbers.

Thinking Suter would give the Preds a last chance proved to be a mistake, but, it's debatable if the negotiations up to that point were a "mistake" without knowing what was offered and what actually transpired. The claim Poile "sat back" makes your observable an assumption, not fact. All reports from the days leading up to Suter's decision had the Preds making a "substantial" offer which counters the "sat back" claim.

Observables don't always reveal the facts that lead to them.
Neither one of us know what ownership has had to do with anything. So you are assuming by even bringing them into the conversation. Negotiations were clearly a mistake since Suter left the Predators to go to the Wild. Its pretty clear Suter and Weber were looking out for #1 and that is them. Sorry but Suter and Weber are not going to sign for 7+ per when they know another team is going to come to bat with more. Poile should have seen this coming and if the owners said stay put than thats fine Poile is still going to be the head on the chopping block.

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 09:46 PM
  #140
Osprey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 14,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
The way the contract is structured it really prohibits Nashville from trading Weber period. In the next 50 weeks the contract will be 25% paid. If you pay that, it makes little sense to trade him then. Just pay then next 2 years, it will be 50% paid.
I don't see it that way. The fact that so much of Weber's contract will have already been paid off will make it easier to trade him and may allow for getting more in exchange for him. Yes, in a way, it doesn't seem to make good business sense to trade him after you've invested a lot in him, but if you're compensated for that investment of yours, it can work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
If they were gonna do that, they the probably would have done it for Parise and Suter's contract.
The contracts may have similarities, but the circumstances are different. No one accused Minnesota of doing anything malicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Why do they call them signing bonuses when most of the money comes in well after the signing? They should be limited to the 1st year only
I agree that it seems wrong. My guess is that it's viewed as a massive $68M signing bonus spread out over 6 years (because of the 20% rule). If you can spread an unlimited signing bonus over many years, though, you can use it in place of salary, which is exactly what Weber's contract does. I imagine that this will be curtailed in the next CBA.


Last edited by Osprey: 07-22-2012 at 03:38 PM.
Osprey is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 10:00 PM
  #141
Snotbubbles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,417
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I don't see it that way. The fact that so much of Weber's contract will have already been paid off will make it easier to trade him and may allow for getting more in exchange for him. Yes, in a way, it doesn't seem to make good business sense to trade him after you've invested a lot in him, but if you're compensated for that investment of yours, it can work out.
What you said is true only if Nashville's ultimate goal in this whole situation is to trade Shea Weber for the best package of players and picks they can possibly get.

Snotbubbles is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 10:29 PM
  #142
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
Neither one of us know what ownership has had to do with anything. So you are assuming by even bringing them into the conversation. Negotiations were clearly a mistake since Suter left the Predators to go to the Wild. Its pretty clear Suter and Weber were looking out for #1 and that is them. Sorry but Suter and Weber are not going to sign for 7+ per when they know another team is going to come to bat with more. Poile should have seen this coming and if the owners said stay put than thats fine Poile is still going to be the head on the chopping block.
I've repeatedly said WE DON'T HAVE THE FACTS HERE. I'm also not the one screaming match the offer, fire Poile, or anything else. I've repeatedly said if Poile was given the resources and permission from the owners to make a similarly front loaded deal, the blame is his with the flipside being if he wasn't given the resources and/or permissions to do so, it's the owners who are truly to blame here. Suter and Weber aren't going to sign for $7+mil? That's EXACTLY what they just did on average ... 7.538 for Suter and 7.85 for Weber ... which all points to structure rather than total amount being the hurdle here. Structure requiring early spending that the owners need to authorize since it is their, not Poile's, money ... structure requiring liquidity that the team simply may not have. The reports are that Poile was shopping Weber at the time of the offer sheet ... so Poile was doing EXACTLY what we've seen complaints here that he didn't do. There are literally dozens of trade proposals filling various threads on HF ... none of which mean squat if the teams aren't willing to pony up the assets we, or the front office, want in return for Weber, the rights to Suter, or a bag of autographed Radek Bonk pucks.

Seeing a possible offer sheet coming is one thing. Poile and the owners saw that possibility. Seeing a poisoned offer such as this which contains over twice the previous record for signing bonuses under the current CBA, with more bonus money than Crosby makes total in the first six years of his contract (plus another $12mil in paragraph 1 salary) is something different entirely. It's the same as saying we should see a potential attack at some point in the future and being able to see specifically an event such as Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Looking through the boards prior to the offer sheet, I can't find a single prediction of a $68,000,000 bonus as part of an offer sheet or an offer that dwarfs even the Suter or Brad Richards deal in terms of bonuses and uninsurable money due a player.

Once again ... if Poile was operating according to the guidance of his bosses and within the parameters they set, he won't be fired because he did exactly what he was told to do. It didn't have the outcome any of us wished for, but, such is the real world.

101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 10:46 PM
  #143
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
I've repeatedly said WE DON'T HAVE THE FACTS HERE. I'm also not the one screaming match the offer, fire Poile, or anything else. I've repeatedly said if Poile was given the resources and permission from the owners to make a similarly front loaded deal, the blame is his with the flipside being if he wasn't given the resources and/or permissions to do so, it's the owners who are truly to blame here. Suter and Weber aren't going to sign for $7+mil? That's EXACTLY what they just did on average ... 7.538 for Suter and 7.85 for Weber ... which all points to structure rather than total amount being the hurdle here. Structure requiring early spending that the owners need to authorize since it is their, not Poile's, money ... structure requiring liquidity that the team simply may not have. The reports are that Poile was shopping Weber at the time of the offer sheet ... so Poile was doing EXACTLY what we've seen complaints here that he didn't do. There are literally dozens of trade proposals filling various threads on HF ... none of which mean squat if the teams aren't willing to pony up the assets we, or the front office, want in return for Weber, the rights to Suter, or a bag of autographed Radek Bonk pucks.

Seeing a possible offer sheet coming is one thing. Poile and the owners saw that possibility. Seeing a poisoned offer such as this which contains over twice the previous record for signing bonuses under the current CBA, with more bonus money than Crosby makes total in the first six years of his contract (plus another $12mil in paragraph 1 salary) is something different entirely. It's the same as saying we should see a potential attack at some point in the future and being able to see specifically an event such as Pearl Harbor or 9/11. Looking through the boards prior to the offer sheet, I can't find a single prediction of a $68,000,000 bonus as part of an offer sheet or an offer that dwarfs even the Suter or Brad Richards deal in terms of bonuses and uninsurable money due a player.

Once again ... if Poile was operating according to the guidance of his bosses and within the parameters they set, he won't be fired because he did exactly what he was told to do. It didn't have the outcome any of us wished for, but, such is the real world.
I know you are stuck on the offer sheet and that is clearly all you see. AGAIN IT IS DAVID POILE FAULT IT EVEN GOT TO THIS POINT!!!!!!!! They knew the CBA was coming up and they should of known that the big boys were going to come after Shea Weber. If they were not ready to unload the brinks truck they should of shut their mouths and traded both. Weber knew he could make a fortune and Suter did to and that is not even including both of the agents. No we could not see pearl harbor or 9/11 but by god it is common ****ing sense they were going to get paid a lot of money and were not going to sit around and accept Nashvilles more than likely low ball offers. NASHVILLE MADE ITS OWN BED NOW ITS TIME TO LAY IN IT OR GET OF THE HEAD BOARD.


Last edited by ThirdManIn: 07-22-2012 at 12:18 AM. Reason: filter circumvention
PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 11:05 PM
  #144
101st_fan
I taught Yoda
 
101st_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Some Army fort
Country: United States
Posts: 5,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashville615 View Post
I know you are stuck on the offer sheet and that is clearly all you see. AGAIN IT IS DAVID POILE FAULT IT EVEN GOT TO THIS POINT!!!!!!!! They knew the CBA was coming up and they should of known that the big boys were going to come after Shea Weber. If they were not ready to unload the brinks truck they should of shut their mouths and traded both. Weber knew he could make a fortune and Suter did to and that is not even including both of the agents. No we could not see pearl harbor or 9/11 but by god it is common [inappropriate] sense they were going to get paid a lot of money and were not going to sit around and accept Nashvilles more than likely low ball offers. NASHVILLE MADE ITS OWN BED NOW ITS TIME TO LAY IN IT OR GET OF THE HEAD BOARD.
Preparing to pay a lot of money isn't the same as being able to predict an unprecedented offer of this type. It's funny how you could say there was no way of seeing Pearl Harbor or 9/11 when in both circumstances there were indicators that AN attack could happen but nothing that spelled out something of the magnitude of what we experienced .... yet you claim that Poile and the owners should then have foreseen the offer sheet equivalent. Yes, everyone knew an offer sheet COULD happen, but, I've yet to find a post on HF predicting Philly with the record bonus containing offer that requires $52,000,000 in bonus money alone between the signing of the contract and July 1st, 2015 (just under three years). Maybe I missed it somewhere.

The assertion of " more than likely low ball offers" is just more pure speculation on your part. The reports surrounding the Suter offer have the Preds in the $90,000,000 range before the Wild's final, and eventually successful, offer.


Last edited by 101st_fan: 07-21-2012 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Omitting inappropriate wording from quote
101st_fan is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 11:22 PM
  #145
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Preparing to pay a lot of money isn't the same as being able to predict an unprecedented offer of this type. It's funny how you could say there was no way of seeing Pearl Harbor or 9/11 when in both circumstances there were indicators that AN attack could happen but nothing that spelled out something of the magnitude of what we experienced .... yet you claim that Poile and the owners should then have foreseen the offer sheet equivalent. Yes, everyone knew an offer sheet COULD happen, but, I've yet to find a post on HF predicting Philly with the record bonus containing offer that requires $52,000,000 in bonus money alone between the signing of the contract and July 1st, 2015 (just under three years). Maybe I missed it somewhere.

The assertion of " more than likely low ball offers" is just more pure speculation on your part. The reports surrounding the Suter offer have the Preds in the $90,000,000 range before the Wild's final, and eventually successful, offer.
It is funny huh kinda of the same situation. The Preds knew and offer sheet could come just like the united states govt knew an attack could occur. Neither one could be predicted. Not sure on your point but i will play along.
Yes that is what i stated Poile and the owners should have seen an offer sheet coming for Weber. Why would someone predict the bonus money amount or contract? What would be the point not sure where you are going on that one either.
Maybe i missed it but if i was a GM of a team and Weber was on it i would expect if a team put in an offer sheet it would not be for market value or market worth. It would be a lot more and something to prevent me from matching. Maybe i am missing something but that is common sense to me.

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-21-2012, 11:26 PM
  #146
PFL615
Registered User
 
PFL615's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Preparing to pay a lot of money isn't the same as being able to predict an unprecedented offer of this type. It's funny how you could say there was no way of seeing Pearl Harbor or 9/11 when in both circumstances there were indicators that AN attack could happen but nothing that spelled out something of the magnitude of what we experienced .... yet you claim that Poile and the owners should then have foreseen the offer sheet equivalent. Yes, everyone knew an offer sheet COULD happen, but, I've yet to find a post on HF predicting Philly with the record bonus containing offer that requires $52,000,000 in bonus money alone between the signing of the contract and July 1st, 2015 (just under three years). Maybe I missed it somewhere.

The assertion of " more than likely low ball offers" is just more pure speculation on your part. The reports surrounding the Suter offer have the Preds in the $90,000,000 range before the Wild's final, and eventually successful, offer.
Yeah $90,000,000 when he became a free agent AGAIN WHAT WAS THE OFFERS BEFORE THAT?????? I would say probably low ball to Mr. Suter since he wanted to test free agency because he KNEW he would get more $$$$$$$$$$$

PFL615 is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 12:08 AM
  #147
brian822
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
You can do a lot better than that from Philadelphia. B Schenn, Couturier, Meszaros + 2 1st rounders is more the equal package for a player like Weber. Don't let these Philadelphia fans make you believe that Weber doesn't have that kind of worth because he does. Good Luck!!!
This was Polie's thinking and look where it has gotten him

brian822 is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 02:01 AM
  #148
MorriPage
Registered User
 
MorriPage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Earth
Country: Canada
Posts: 679
vCash: 500
Leafs fan coming in peace here. I absolutely sympathize with you guys on all counts. It was absolute, complete hypocrisy from Craig Leipold, who was one of the most vocal people speaking out against the types of contracts we're all talking about and then he goes and signs Parise and Suter to those exact types of contracts. Complete hypocrisy and I hope they both blow up in his face.

As for Holmgren, total ******* move, but what do you expect? Everyone knows how that franchise operates, and is allowed to operate, from the top down. Holmgren is, by far, the most underhanded and disloyal general manager in the game today. I fully believe the new CBA will address a litany of contract issues, namely term, at which point Philadelphia is screwed, because the only thing working in their favor right now is the fact that it's legal to offer contracts like this. Put them on an even playing field with everyone else, and they'll be on the outside looking in every time. Nobody wants to play in Philly unless serious money is involved. Not while Holmgren is running the show.

MorriPage is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 02:37 AM
  #149
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain
 
kypredsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bowling Green, KY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,450
vCash: 500
Very interesting tweet

Flyers fan trying to troll Preds minority owner and Canadian billionaire Brett Wilson about the finances and he responds. Possible good news for the Preds.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/7...ty-to#comments

kypredsfan is offline  
Old
07-22-2012, 02:46 AM
  #150
I Will Son
An Army of One
 
I Will Son's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 7,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
Very interesting tweet

Flyers fan trying to troll Preds minority owner and Canadian billionaire Brett Wilson about the finances and he responds. Possible good news for the Preds.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2012/7...ty-to#comments
Link aint working for me

I Will Son is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.